MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Ok guys hypothetical question:

You hand me a 56 titleist wedge with an S grind and tell me to hit five shots from 100 yards. Then you hand me a 56 titleist wedge with an M grind and tell me to hit five shots from 100 yards. Will I have any idea there is a difference?

I demoed wedges on both full shots and chipping today. I had to go inside to let my hands un numb after the full swings. Cold.

I think the biggest differences will be around the greens as others have already posted. Unless you're playing from extremely hard or soft fairways, the sole grind shouldn't matter too much on full shots. Also, whether you have an excessively steep angle of attack will impact the decision too. For me, the M-grind was very versatile around the greens, but I found it dug a lot on partial wedge shots from further out, because I tend to play those with a very steep, punchy swing. The S-grind (I have 200 series Vokeys which are essentially the same) are great on full and partial shots, but not as versatile the closer to the green you get.

Thanks to you and everybody else for the response.

That's exactly why I'm between the two. I can make some pretty bad wedges swing where I stick the club in the ground super steep toe down. Nooot good stuff. I'd like to not exacerbate my own mistakes with a club that is harsh on the miss

That said come end of April I can get up Early and get in scoring zone yardage work each morning before work so I'm hoping to just get better

Played 9 this afternoon and then fired up the snowblower and let in run for 10 minutes to make sure we are good to go for Tuesday. I am so bad about winterizing/summerizing my gas engines. Every year I have to take something to get fixed. Pleased to have the snowblower fire up and run smoothly. ABC/package store stop tomorrow on the way home from work, and I should be good to go.

This snow could be bad on my liver. Instead of playing golf ? on Thursday afternoon and not drinking to be fresh for Friday afternoon golf I'll have miller lite time from noon - 1 am back to back days

Today... mixed bag... Deadman-esque recap below:

Decided today was a good day to get new Grips so went down to Rockville. Initially, I went to Microcenter for shiggles. Looked at computer components, did a half-@ssed cost assessment of new-er components like Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive and RAM. Went around other locations in the store and looked at 2 potential new steering wheels for my Sim Racing hobby, a new gaming mouse and that's all she wrote. Left without a purchase and drove to Golf Galaxy.

Walked in and went right to the Grips. I was torn between the following:

• New Decade Multi Compound (NDMC) Black/Orange
  • NDMC Platinum/Green 'Limited Edition'
  • Traditional Red/Black NDMC
  • Blackout NDMC

I thought, briefly, about going for the Yellow/Black NDMC, but sense took over and put them back.

If they would have had the Platinum/Blue or Platinum/Red styles, I would have gotten them. Instead, purchased 13 new Blackout NDMC grips. Went and purchased them and was going to see about getting them installed... Yeah, no go on that one. Guy tells me they have 15 sets ahead of mine and it would be a few days. Needless to say, I requested them to void the installation charge. That ended up with me getting a gift card for the amount the installation would have been.

Went up to Dick's Sporting Goods to see if THEY could quickly do a re-grip... at least they were honest and told me that management would kill them if they weren't looking at trying to get sales.

Looked around Best Buy and GameStop for more shiggles, got gas in town. went to the ATM to move some money in case I need to get a hotel room because of the impending winter storm, and came home.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Cantlay is playing with his balls out. And Hadwin is basically matching him.

Great Sunday for golf. Im afraid I'm going to get "honey dewed" before its over. We're waiting for caulk to dry.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golfer827... Take this opportunity to learn to do your own grips. You have a long career ahead of you.

Grips are t1t. Especially if you don't care about lining them up.

Get an exacto knife with a grip cutting hook blade, grip tape, and solvent. Watch a few YouTube videos (they're free) and get to it. Ask us if you have any questions.

If you have a vice in a workshop at home, you could get the clamp thing too, but I don't really use that anymore.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golfer827... Take this opportunity to learn to do your own grips. You have a long career ahead of you.

Get an exacto knife with a grip cutting hook blade, grip tape, and solvent. Watch a few YouTube videos (they're free) and get to it. Ask us if you have any questions.

If you have a vice in a workshop at home, you could get the clamp thing too, but I don't really use that anymore.

I thought about that, was looking at the Golfworks grip stations, but might get a gripping set (strips and solvent) from the Hagerstown Dick's Sporting Goods and just get to it. Just need to use something to remove the old tape.

I thought about that, was looking at the Golfworks grip stations, but might get a gripping set (strips and solvent) from the Hagerstown Dick's Sporting Goods and just get to it. Just need to use something to remove the old tape.

elbow grease.

Old tape is a pita. There's scrapers and stuff that help but basically, just sit down in front of the TV some day and start scraping with your fingernails.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

elbow grease.

Old tape is a pita. There's scrapers and stuff that help but basically, just sit down in front of the TV some day and start scraping with your fingernails.

If it gets too bad I'll use a little Goo Gone sometimes, but mostly just do what you said.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Throw a little heat on the tape, and it will come right up.

and this: https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-golf-grip-tape-stripper/p/GW1101/

Regripping is cheap and easy. You don't need a work station. Knife, heat, tape, solvent and a tee.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Get a cheapo heat gun from Michaels and use it for a few minutes on old tape - it peels right off.

So much easier than scraping it off and it comes completely off.

Looks like I'll get to use the electric snowblower after all. Not at all happy about that.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I'm about a week and a half into a 3-4 week break to see if I get any improvement in what used to be my good shoulder. Now I'm staring down having to attempt to shovel 6-12 inches of snow. Not at all happy about that. Maybe I should go get some cash and hope some kids come around looking to make a few bucks. As per usual, I'll be riding the storm out solo, since the wife has to stay at work.

Still been the best winter ever, but this storm can S my Bs, big time.

Just did my grips last weekend and finished up last night.

Was 7 years since I changed the irons so yea... that tape didn't wanna come off. I undid the grips and then soaked the tape end of the shafts in hot water with goo gone for about an hr and they tape scraped right off.

Hardest time I had was re-figuring out to use more solvent than less. Lost one grip not even half way on because the tape just gripped and that was the end of that.

Also had a hard time getting the grips started on longer irons since the shaft was wider. That just called for more solvent as we went along but worked out fine.

But like City said- easy enough to do and just plop down in front of tv and knock them out. Easy way to save some $$

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I re-do my grips at least once a year and my one piece of advice is that you can definitely never use enough solvent. Especially if you ever try to put on a Superstroke lol.

Plus, just catch it in a bottle and reuse it. Super easy.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Or just buy an air compressor. Leave the old grip tape on. Done in 5 minutes. No smell. No mess. No old tape issues. Or bring em to me. I owe you.

Now this I'm not following. I've got an air compressor.

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Or just buy an air compressor. Leave the old grip tape on. Done in 5 minutes. No smell. No mess. No old tape issues. Or bring em to me. I owe you.

I just took the grip and old tape off the driver, I'm going to finish taking off the old grips tonight. Then get the gripping kit of strips and solvent tomorrow afternoon on my way back to station and take care of them either Friday Night or during the snow storm if it is, truly, as bad as they say.

I need to completely redo the 3 and 5 woods since those have +1 Wrap due to the superstroke grips.

Went out to Little Bennett in the cold and wind. They haven't opened up the grass range yet this spring, which was irritating to learn since it's 15 minutes shorter to the closest mat range near me. I only took a few clubs, and chose all of the ones I haven't been comfortable with recently. E.g. I keep pulling a 6 iron or 4 hybrid when I should pull a 5 iron, so I left them at home where it wasn't an option. Swing is working pretty nice at the moment. Some of it's just pretty different, and I need to get some reps with it.

I stopped at the new outlets on the other side of 270. Nike store has no golf gear, which is a shame. The UA store was nice for golf, but the only thing I found was that I'm fatter than I thought I was. I should probably do something about that, but this Basil Haydens aint gonna drink itself. Maybe tomorrow.

DT - how do you keep the grips from twisting? I've tried blowing on a few different grips and they all twist on the lower end (to some degree, based on number of wraps of tape). I went back to tape and solvent since I never figured out a good method.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

My mind is blown watching these videos.

So I watched one guy inject solvent in the grip - how does it not just go into the shaft?

I see the guys use the air to loosen the grip, how does it not just go down into the shaft?

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

DT - how do you keep the grips from twisting? I've tried blowing on a few different grips and they all twist on the lower end (to some degree, based on number of wraps of tape). I went back to tape and solvent since I never figured out a good method.

Honestly never had an issue with it when using tape. I've used standard masking tape in the past. Lately, I have been leaving on the old grip tape that has a tack to it. Only time I had a grip twist was on a graphite driver shaft that I put together quickly and did not use tape. Lower 2" or so slipped on the painted shaft.

May be different grips. I know some are not well adept for being blown on. I've used MC, MC+, GP Tour wraps, grip master leathers, and most recent Golf Pride bct cords.

Could also have been a .60 grip on .580 shafts? Or just a shaft with a quicker taper?

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

My mind is blown watching these videos.

So I watched one guy inject solvent in the grip - how does it not just go into the shaft?

I see the guys use the air to loosen the grip, how does it not just go down into the shaft?

Solvent injection- terrible. Leaves a bunch of holes in the grip that will fail over time. Not enough solvent is used to go into the shaft. What does evaporates really quickly.

It does, that's the point. Air blows down the shaft, rebounds back up the shaft and down through the grip. Path of least resistance. Creates a tiny pocket of air between the grip and shaft which allows you to slide it on / off.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

I'd have to go back and see the butt diameter but that could be an issue.

I know one issue was a NDMC on a HZRDUS Yellow and then some GP Niion on DG TI shafts. I think another issue was with a BCT Cord but I can't remember what shafts those went on. I've used anywhere from one wrap of masking tape to three wraps on blue painters tape and had some level of twist. Maybe my right hand has a death grip on the club?

I may experiment some more if/when I reshaft something else.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I went out to Northwest Park today intending to hit some ball at their heated range. But when I got there I saw folks out on the course and thought, hell, if they can play, I can play. It was very nice out there, except when the wind kicked up. 2 pars, 6 bogies, 1 double. Not bad.

On the par 5 #8, I hit a really nice drive: slight fade that went just around the corner of the dogleg. Then had a very good 3 wood up the hill. Left me 50 yards to the flag. I've never been that close to the green in 2 before. Then I hit a good chip to about 5-6 feet. I read the putt as left edge, but it broke a foot right. Oh well, tap in par.

Well, was able to take off the grips from the Driver, 3W, 5W, 4-6 irons and the wedges. I'll do the other three tomorrow night. It's interesting to try and remove a grip and tape from a Graphite Shaft.

Was able to go full out on the wedges because of those being steel shafted. Full cut down the grip and tape.

Hmmmm...for the record I was DTSd and playing poker when I tried to be optmistic on Saturday...

My only saving grace would be slipping into the 3-4" band...

OPTIMISTIC

C6yTmCnXUAEGuEa.jpg

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

BTW if you liked John Wick - JW2 is a must see in theaters. Loud AF and basically does not stop moving for 2+ hours.

Fun, fun movie.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

OK no concrete tomorrow. You are getting snow

GTM;

Will City call the snow covered FWY's a lost ball with stroke and distance Saturday if you can't find the ball in the middle of the FWY.

Will City call piles of snow GUR or do you have to play it as is

Will City play the ball down on snow covered or completely wet ground.

Will City make you putt out on the snow covered greens.

These are all things I will ponder while in PR @ 80*