MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Golf Talk Friday : How do you think your swing is impacted by any physical limitations you might have, and/or do you think your swing causes you any physical issues?

This would get a little more truck if you asked about psychological effects.

I'm short. Probably shortest guy here, but I don't feel short at the ball. I use standard length clubs. Plane is plane, though. You can be short and steep or tall and flat.

Does it cause me any physical issues? Every year. Knees, hips, fingers, shoulders, elbows, wrists, necks. I'm always either dealing with something or waiting for the next thing I'm gonna deal with.

That's because you swing at 100%

WaPo updated snow possibility for Tuesday:

Immediate metro area, inside the Beltway

One inch or more: 55 percent chance

Four inches or more: 40 percent chance

Eight inches or more: 30 percent chance

North and west of the Beltway

One inch or more: 65 percent chance

Four inches or more: 50 percent chance

Eight inches or more: 40 percent chance

South and east of the Beltway

One inch or more: 50 percent chance

Four inches or more: 35 percent chance

Eight inches or more: 20 percent chance

I find the specificity of this lol'able.

Any weather experts on here - is it even remotely reasonable to make such detailed predictions at this point?

Yes here is a prediction ------------- Sunny and warm in San Juan 80 to 90 Not thinking about snow or cold dudes

Golf Talk Friday : How do you think your swing is impacted by any physical limitations you might have, and/or do you think your swing causes you any physical issues?

Been thinking a lot about this lately, actually, as I try and recover my swing and figure out how i got so f'ed up. I used to have a very technically sound motion. Now I have a couple major mechanical issues that I am convinced are the result of playing through injuries suffered off the course. However, I have been healthier in the last year (other than still being a fat f'er), I don't feel like I have any limitations that really impact my game.

To my point:

• 5 years ago I partially tore my ACL, but opted for PT instead of sugery b/c it allowed me to get back on the ice/course quicker. Naturally, I still came back too early and compensated for the right knee instability by trying to get to my left side as quickly and fully as possible. I also had a couple other, unrelated knee and ankle issues since. As a result, I shift early and tilt toward the target, rather than away.
  • I lave lost count of all my shoulder issues, but I am convinced that a low grade separation a few years back got me in the habit of lifting, rather than getting a full turn in my swing, causing improper arm rotation/ and ATL issues.

On the other hand, my only current physical "limitation" is a left finger/hand issue that crops up on occasion. I can manage it by not strangling the club, so it actually helps me.

Because you swing at 100%

Any weather experts on here - is it even remotely reasonable to make such detailed predictions at this point?

Yes here is a prediction ------------- Sunny and warm in San Juan 80 to 90 Not thinking about snow or cold dudes

Been thinking a lot about this lately, actually, as I try and recover my swing and figure out how i got so f'ed up. I used to have a very technically sound motion. Now I have a couple major mechanical issues that I am convinced are the result of playing through injuries suffered off the course. However, I have been healthier in the last year (other than still being a fat f'er), I don't feel like I have any limitations that really impact my game.

To my point:

• 5 years ago I partially tore my ACL, but opted for PT instead of sugery b/c it allowed me to get back on the ice/course quicker. Naturally, I still came back too early and compensated for the right knee instability by trying to get to my left side as quickly and fully as possible. I also had a couple other, unrelated knee and ankle issues since. As a result, I shift early and tilt toward the target, rather than away.
  • I lave lost count of all my shoulder issues, but I am convinced that a low grade separation a few years back got me in the habit of lifting, rather than getting a full turn in my swing, causing improper arm rotation/ and ATL issues.

On the other hand, my only current physical "limitation" is a left finger/hand issue that crops up on occasion. I can manage it by not strangling the club, so it actually helps me.

Because you swing at 100%

Kent is being a cold dude.

Kent Almanac Test Phase 1

JKC, please post a screen shot of the weather readings in Richmond at 6:18 pm every night starting on Sunday.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Do you mean the geographic specificity, or what? I don't find them "specific" at all.

Basically, all I think they're doing is running simulations REGIONALLY. And, in 55% of those simulations, they're seeing more than 1 inch inside the beltway; in 50% of them, 1 inch or more south of the beltway, etc etc. That's what TerpInTime's charts are from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_weather_prediction#Computation

So, they're not just like "55% chance of 1 inch". They're running models into the future based on current atmospheric conditions and seeing that much snow in 55% of them.

On monday, you could see something like "90% of 1 inch or more, 5% of 4 inches or more" meaning they're dialing in the prediction.

You could see "50% of 1 inch or more. 0% chance of 4 inches or more" which means they're pretty sure we're going to get around an inch.

tl;dr : they need to see what's happening in Richmond on Monday evening at 6:00 pm.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

best out-of-context line from today (so far):

Already had that and I passed.

chlamydia?

a kidney stone?

temptation from a "woman" of questionable repute?

a foursome with my 3 female roommates?

a huge spliff that's making the rounds?

a drug test after breaking several records in the 200m?

so many follow up questions can be asked here.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Recap from Norbeck. . .yesterday's round was sort of turd fire.

We didn't have anything going, so PQ, Eagle and I played back tees at Norbeck. Domes played up. First round back from knee surgery. Very windy and the greens were slow and bumpy.

Seems like a couple places rolled 'em last week, but Hobbits was trash this week, and so was Norbeck.

I'll tell ya. . .I've put up some nice rounds at Hobbits this winter in the wind, but totally different story out there. Greens are tiny, so they're hard to hit and they're tough to get U/D on in those conditions. OK, excuses out of the way.

It was so nice at the course that when I got there, I went in the bathroom and took off my silk undershirt. Played in short sleeves all day. I'm telling ya, this weather is inside out. I was going to play in the Jackson Pollock's but went for lite shoes instead.

Not much happened early. Eag's put his opening drive onto the range, so bad start for him, but he played some nice shots after that, parring the second with a nice two-putt from distance. Domes got the only par on 3, with a lip out from PQ.

I looked at my GPS on 4 as I got to my ball and it said 144 center, so I hit an 8 iron up the hill. It flew the green by 10 yards and rolled back down the hill towards the green. Looked back at my GPS and it said something like 129 center. I hadn't let it catch up and didn't have the on course experience to know it was wrong. The chip shot, I was almost trapped behind the fan and was like "I'm going through the fan". I didn't, but I hit a nice chip, then missed the putt. More on fans later. Eagle had a nice U/D for par.

Next hole, par 5, I've got like 130 to the back pin and it's straight down wind. I felt pretty good about the PW, but domes says, "that's a two club wind". So, I take a little off and wind up about 1 yard onto the green with a 60 footer. Then eagle leaves his short of the green.

"That ain't no two club wind."

Then Domes flies the green.

"Ha ha!" I exclaimed, "I guess it's a 3 club wind!!!"

On 6, I made one of the only two putts all day from outside 6 feet, I believe (and I made the other on 16).

7 and 9 were playing straight into the wind and both were playing about 450 uphill. There were many double bogeys. I felt good about a solid bogey on 9 after a 190 yard drive, which was basically even with PQ and 15 yards past Eagle. PQ hit and 2-putted 7 which was amazing in those conditions and with that green. Epic drive, and I missed the second, but it must have been good.

On the back, I tried getting it going, and parred 10, had 10 feet for birdie on 11 but didn't even SNIFF the hole. PQ just missed birdie there also. I made an unforgiveable double on 12 and domes had the only par, with a nice wedge to about 15 feet.

Then, I had a nice look at birdie on 13 and 3 putted. Hit a real nice drive after that, but had to keep the next shot under some limbs, skulled it and bounced it OFF THE FAN right into the front fringe and just missed a curling 30 footer for bird. The hole took a big bite out of that ball. Domes called it getting a "fanny" if I made the putt, but I think it's a "fanny" if you make par off a fan. So, AFAIC, that's a #fanny.

Around hole 15, Domes starts putting side saddle like he's in 7 Days In Utopia. Him explaining how to do it to Eagle and watching Eagle try to mimic him was classic. Eagle's putting his feet in the wrong positions, his hands in the wrong positions, his head about 2 feet in front of the ball. It looked like a monkey trying to teach a manatee how to juggle.

By 17, we were all putting side-saddle except PQ.

Domes looked good for first round back.

Eagle hit too many loose drives to score, but he also straight crushed a couple, particularly on the last 3 driver holes, 15, 17, 18.

Q had some epic drives, and second shot 3Ws. He hit one into the front bunker on 5 from about 290.

It was burger night at 'beck on Tuesday. $8 burgers with a huge topping bar, which included O-rings and fries. I chugged two brews and made it home without peeing my pants, so win win win.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

7 and 9 were playing straight into the wind and both were playing about 450 uphill. There were many double bogeys. I felt good about a solid bogey on 9 after a 190 yard drive, which was basically even with PQ and 15 yards past Eagle. PQ hit and 2-putted 7 which was amazing in those conditions and with that green. Epic drive, and I missed the second, but it must have been good.

7 & 9 are really tough holes with that wind. I have yet to hit a good drive on 7 yet. It just doesn't fit my eye for whatever reason. And then the approaches on both holes play 1-2 clubs longer because they are uphill. Bogey is not a bad score on either of those holes.

Yeah, the greens were pretty bumpy on Wednesday as well. They cut and rolled them about a month ago and they were very nice for a week or so. I was hoping they would do the same this week, but it seems the impending cold snap kept them from doing so. I am trying not to complain too much because it is still early March.

I go to Clustered Spires a lot of days during my lunch break as it is < 10 minutes from where I work. They have their practice greens in VERY good shape right now. Smooth, fast, and firm. They have the whole course looking great actually. I'd like to get a round in there soon. Their twilight deal is good. I think it is $22 for as many holes as you can get in after 4 pm. I know Frederick is a hike for a lot of people here though.

I go to Clustered Spires a lot of days during my lunch break as it is < 10 minutes from where I work. They have their practice greens in VERY good shape right now. Smooth, fast, and firm. They have the whole course looking great actually. I'd like to get a round in there soon. Their twilight deal is good. I think it is $22 for as many holes as you can get in after 4 pm. I know Frederick is a hike for a lot of people here though.

I enjoyed Clustered a lot when I played there last summer. Had hoped to play in the Frederick City Am but schedule got in the way. Would have been great for me because at my hdcp level - actually IIRC anything over a 4 - was still playing from the white tees. It is a very fun 6200 yard course and is already on my calendar for this year.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Wind, rain, sleet and snow were all in play this morning at Westfields. Started off Par, Par and headed to the 3rd. The sleet started flying at my face and then this happened...

I raised my arms in Victory...to no one. I was the only person on the course. Had a couple of birdies sprinkled in the rest of the round. I was going to do an update during the round but my digits were frozen. Caught some decent temps on the back nine before the sleet started again. Hit a couple shots only to find them on the green with sleet on them.

Fairways were rough in parts, greens were punched but running decent and a few tee boxes have seen better days but who gives a s***.

#igotamfinace

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

Lol@148 yd 7 iron.

Naw, j/k.

Awesome, OBK. So funny... Every golfer's "fear". Solo ace.

Way to get out there today.

(Id probably hit 7 iron from 148,too)

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green