2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing early morning or afternoon?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to go out early in the morning. As early as possible. That's when I shoot my best scores usually I'm not as tired. However, the pace of play if you aren't the first 1 or 2 groups out there makes morning dreadful. As I don't have any friends who play golf, I'm usually a single that's caught between threesomes who don't join me up or foursomes.

In those cases I prefer to go out later in the afternoon where there are more onesy twosy golfers and you can navigate your way around the course a bit quicker.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

I play alot of both. But to be honest, when I'm playing well I like the afternoon and a little bit of wind, just because you have to think a bit more and play different clubs than you would on the dead calm of morning.
Downside to afternoons is the greens may be less than smooth and the round may take longer..

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I prefer earlier, but since I have to work Monday - Friday, I usually end up golfing in the evening. I only have time to get in 9 during the week, but the course is rarely crowded and on occasion I even have the course to myself.

On the weekends, I usually eat an early lunch and try to get to the course before noon.

I became so spoiled with the ultra early rounds that my desire to play went way down when I moved and lost the access!!!

I love being out there with a chill in the air and steam rising from the water. The dew helps me fine the ball. The only person I ever had to wait for was a guy on a mower. Plus, I'd tee off at first light around 5:30 AM and be home to the family after 18 holes by 9:00.

I do like the occasional afternoon round on a nice day with a beer in my hand. Just got to make sure there's nowhere to be because it's gonna take a while.

During the summer, when I'm not in school, I usually prefer to play as early as possible when I have the chance. The temperature is significantly lower and the earlier I finish, the more things I can do later on in the day.

Callaway Rogue ST TD w/ Tensei White 65X
Callaway Rogue ST 15* w/ Tensei White 75X
Callaway Mavrik Pro 19* Hybrid w/ KBS Prototype 95 X
Ping i230 w/ DG X100 120
Callaway Jaws 50,54,58 w/ KBS 610 Wedge 125
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Early, fresh golf course, faster play, time to do stuff the rest of the day

whats not to love?

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Both. Sunday's are my big golf day. I like to tee off early (any time between first available slot and 8:00). When I finish, I grab lunch at the clubhouse, then hit a small bucket to loosen back up, and am usually back out on the course for the next 18 sometime around 1:30ish.

During the winter hours, it's the same except an hour earlier, so tee off by 7 and round 2 by 12:30ish.

I also play Wednesdays after work when I can.

I am a morning person, big time. Even on Saturdays when I have nothing to do, I'll be up between 5:30 and 6:00. The only reason o ever tee off as late as 8:00 is because my usual sunday golf buddy doesn't like to get there that early. If it were up to me, I'd tee off in the first spot every Sunday.

Early, I suppose. I like to be out between 7 and 8 in the summer months. It makes the day go so much better, I can do more things on the weekend. However, this time of year? I like anything after about 10.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

Depends on the time of the year. Winter time? Mid afternoon because that gives the course a chance to thaw out a little bit and the greens aren't concrete firm, just asphalt firm. Summer time? 1am if possible.....seriously as early as possible or as late as possible. Try and play golf in Tucson at noon mid July, you better bring a 5 gallon jug of water with you.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1430231834' post='11457923']
My regular group usually tees off anywhere from 9:30 to 10:30. I like to have a leisurely breakfast, get any chores done, then play golf without having to rush anything. I don't want to finish my round knowing I have to rush home to do housework.
[/quote]
Kay
You're living in the 21st century and you do chores?.....you are a good little wife....I knew I ALWAYS like you.

Next request from your husband will be to request you dress in skorts and knee highs just like the subservient Asian ladies.

But I will be a gentleman if we should play one day.
I'll open the doors and help you get your clubs in and out of your car if for some reason one day you don't store your clubs at the club.
OR
I will clean your cart, clubs and shoes when you are finished playing golf.

Huh...wake up Mr22putt....I'm Asian....it's the women's job to keep us happy....lol. :taunt:

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1430255590' post='11460883']
Generally twilight for me.....the more money I save...the more often I can play.
[/quote]

I like this statement. And surprisingly with a lot of places, twilight isn't jam packed so you can zip around, hit multiple shots etc.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1430255890' post='11460921']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1430255590' post='11460883']
Generally twilight for me.....the more money I save...the more often I can play.
[/quote]

I like this statement. And surprisingly with a lot of places, twilight isn't jam packed so you can zip around, hit multiple shots etc.
[/quote]
Yes, I too like to hit additional practice shots too.
Grass ranges are rare here......so I like hitting off grass for practice because hitting off a matt gives one a false belief of good ball striking.

Here in Vancouver...some courses are really packed at twilight.
Why not save some money....especially here where many tear home lots are $1.5M+.

But my wife and I don't have children that would dictate when we need to schedule outings.
I think a lot of twilight players don't have young children at home.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1430255506' post='11460871']
[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1430231834' post='11457923']
My regular group usually tees off anywhere from 9:30 to 10:30. I like to have a leisurely breakfast, get any chores done, then play golf without having to rush anything. I don't want to finish my round knowing I have to rush home to do housework.
[/quote]
Kay
You're living in the 21st century and you do chores?.....you are a good little wife....I knew I ALWAYS like you.

Next request from your husband will be to request you dress in skorts and knee highs just like the subservient Asian ladies.

But I will be a gentleman if we should play one day.
I'll open the doors and help you get your clubs in and out of your car if for some reason one day you don't store your clubs at the club.
OR
I will clean your cart, clubs and shoes when you are finished playing golf.

Huh...wake up Mr22putt....I'm Asian....it's the women's job to keep us happy....lol. :taunt:
[/quote]Of course I do chores. I'm the type that would clean the house the night before a housekeeper comes in the morning, so she wouldn't think we lived in a messy house. I'm a bit OCD that way. Since my hubby doesn't play golf, the golf cart is totally my responsibility, water in batteries, tires, cleaning, etc. & I keep it spotless. I even clean my own clubs. I'm very self-sufficient, just in case you didn't already know that. :derisive:

So do you clean you house like June Cleaver....in a dress, heels and an apron? :taunt:
I really wish I grew up in those times....I think a women is most attractive in a dress, stocings and heels....I also like to wear a suit and dress shoes....I guess I'm old fashion.

I assume you also wash your own car?...it rare to see a woman wash her own car.

My wife has never wash her car or golf clubs/shoes...guess who does?...yup...the Smiling Buddha.

Kay
Are you sure you're not Korean?....you play so much golf.
There are so many Korean ladies here who play golf nearly everyday while their husbands work.
But....I also think many Asian husbands send the wives to Canada/US along with the children to be educated in North America...so they can fool around back in the Pac Rim.

The culture is different....some older Asian guys have told me it's kinda acceptable for some to fool around as long as they come home at night.

It's rare to find in North America....a wife that's addicted to golf and the husband doesn't or rarely plays golf.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1430257758' post='11461113']
So do you clean you house like June Cleaver....in a dress, heels and an apron? :taunt:
I really wish I grew up in those times....I think a women is most attractive in a dress, stocings and heels....I also like to wear a suit and dress shoes....I guess I'm old fashion.

My wife has never wash her car or golf clubs/shoes...guess who does?...yup...the Smiling Buddha.

Kay
There are so many Korean ladies here who play golf nearly everyday while their husbands work.
But....I also think many Asian husbands send the wives to Canada/US along with the children to be educated in North America...so they can fool around back in the Pac Rim.

The culture is different....some older Asian guys have told me it's kinda acceptable for some to fool around as long as they come home at night.

It's rare to find in North America....a wife that's addicted to golf and the husband doesn't or rarely plays golf.
[/quote]My husband used to play a lot of golf, & he's the one who got me into golf. But after retirement he just lost interest in it gradually, and now he's totally invested in working with our local Humane Society....he says it's much more rewarding than golf. He has no problem whatsoever with me playing golf as often as I want to (like he could stop me) :cheesy:

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1430257758' post='11461113']

Kay

[/quote]Oh...I do wash my own car fairly often (hubby doesn't get it clean enough) No, I'm usually attired in golf clothes, jeans, or workout clothes....I'm an American girl thru & thru, worked all my life, saved for retirement & retired as early as I could from a huge defense contractor. I worked long & hard for my retirement and I'm enjoying every second of it. I've been blessed with good health & an optimistic attitude & I work hard at staying in shape. Oh....you'd probably think I'm not too subservient. :taunt:

For sure ..at least for me following the greens mower at about 6 am is the best time ... i learned quickly that if i wanted to play with the group i was asked to join 10 plus years ago it was early or miss out and now i am not sure how much i would enjoy playing later ..... i know that playing late mornings was not for me .. play at times is slower , in summer months it's much hotter .. this summer i am going to try some twi-light 9 hole rounds as years ago i did it here and there and would like to try it again .... but again nothing beats early mornings

It depends on the weather. If it is a cool or cold morning, I want to be out there...keeps most people off the course. When summer comes around, I am afternoons only. It gets so hot all the retirees play before noon and after that, the course is clear.

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2