Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I'm starting to make plans for the 4th of July weekend. I'll be heading up to the McHenry/Lake County area, and have an initial list of courses: Brae Loch CC, Bonnie Dundee GC, Boone Creek GC, Palatine Hills GC, Pinecrest GC, Antioch GC, and Twin Lakes CC (WI).

Any thoughts? I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but I assume they're playable at a minimum. 'Seems like a handful don't allow singles to book online, so it may be tough getting on the courses.

Boone creek is a converted sod farm so expect an elevation change maximum of 2 ft.

I think pinecrest used to host the conference tournament in HS but that was a long time ago. I didn't mind that course.

Palatine hills might have been redone recently. I can't remember.

I can't remember Bonnie Dundee as its been a few years since I've played. I don't remember it being very long.

Are you going to be at joke grove while in the area? It's Mchenry county, just the west part.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I'm starting to make plans for the 4th of July weekend. I'll be heading up to the McHenry/Lake County area, and have an initial list of courses: Brae Loch CC, Bonnie Dundee GC, Boone Creek GC, Palatine Hills GC, Pinecrest GC, Antioch GC, and Twin Lakes CC (WI).

Any thoughts? I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but I assume they're playable at a minimum. 'Seems like a handful don't allow singles to book online, so it may be tough getting on the courses.

Boone creek is a converted sod farm so expect an elevation change maximum of 2 ft.

I think pinecrest used to host the conference tournament in HS but that was a long time ago. I didn't mind that course.

I can't remember Bonnie Dundee as its been a few years since I've played. I don't remember it being very long.

Are you going to be at joke grove while in the area? It's Mchenry county, just the west part.

Thanks for the tips.

I've played OG several times many years ago, but as I noted in a previous post, I will not be playing there again as long as Golf Visions runs the place and refuses to put drinking water on the course.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I would play Palatine Hills from that list. If you haven't played Randall Oaks yet it's a decent track. Bonnie Dundee is not very long except for 15 or 16 that is a par 5 that is a pain to walk.

I would play Palatine Hills from that list. If you haven't played Randall Oaks yet it's a decent track. Bonnie Dundee is not very long except for 15 or 16 that is a par 5 that is a pain to walk.

Played Randall Oaks last July. 'Very nice course. BD appears to have small, well guarded greens. I typically play from 6300 yards, so a 6000 par 70 course should be tolerable.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Thanks for the tips.

I've played OG several times many years ago, but as I noted in a previous post, I will not be playing there again as long as Golf Visions runs the place and refuses to put drinking water on the course.

I do remember the drinking water post.

Good luck with the quest.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Village Links yesterday afternoon. Beautiful day for golf, wind was tricky when you got above the tree line. Course was in fine shape considering the rains, greens were about what you'd expect from VL, not great, bumpy and slow. But the way they tucked the pins on several holes, right in front of or behind ridges, anything quicker would have been really difficult.

Thanks for the invite.

As mentioned above, Palatine Hills is a fun track. My company has had a Thursday night league there for 20+ years.

Yes, it was renovated a few years back, and this past year they have removed a bunch of ash borer infested trees.

Fun layout, only bad is low lying holes 15-18, which play fine except for after big rain events.

Challenging greens...

9th hole is only bad hole, imo, ridiculously tight drive (creek/native area left) and trees right, although one can bail out long and right, and still have an approach to the green. (have a look when you are on the first tee)

It's too bad they can't do a redesign of holes 1 and 9 (they have a huge practice hole type area next to hole 1 and 2, but I never see it used for anything.

some friends of mine play pinecrest once in a while, tight parkland course (think that should be ok)

I would imagine you've played golf club of illinois already (I never have)

Also, Prairie Isle is a good one (I think you played it though)

brae loch doesn't appear to be anything special, but might be a good one to cross off the list.

Have you played Willow Glen or Bonnie Brook? Midlane?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Village Links yesterday afternoon. Beautiful day for golf, wind was tricky when you got above the tree line. Course was in fine shape considering the rains, greens were about what you'd expect from VL, not great, bumpy and slow. But the way they tucked the pins on several holes, right in front of or behind ridges, anything quicker would have been really difficult.

Thanks for the invite.

Aw muffin. First tee was within 500 feet of a high school function involving minors. You know the rules.

Thanks for the invite.

Aw stud muffin. The first tee was within 500 feet of a high school function and I didn't want to be embarrassed again by having an 80 year old man knock it past me on the first tee like you did multiple times at St. Andrews. I have pride you know.

Fixed that for you.

As mentioned above, Palatine Hills is a fun track. My company has had a Thursday night league there for 20+ years.

Yes, it was renovated a few years back, and this past year they have removed a bunch of ash borer infested trees.

Fun layout, only bad is low lying holes 15-18, which play fine except for after big rain events.

Challenging greens...

9th hole is only bad hole, imo, ridiculously tight drive (creek/native area left) and trees right, although one can bail out long and right, and still have an approach to the green. (have a look when you are on the first tee)

It's too bad they can't do a redesign of holes 1 and 9 (they have a huge practice hole type area next to hole 1 and 2, but I never see it used for anything.

some friends of mine play pinecrest once in a while, tight parkland course (think that should be ok)

I would imagine you've played golf club of illinois already (I never have)

Also, Prairie Isle is a good one (I think you played it though)

brae loch doesn't appear to be anything special, but might be a good one to cross off the list.

Have you played Willow Glen or Bonnie Brook? Midlane?

Yeah, I played GC of I, Prairie Isle, and Bonnie Brook last season. I'll be hitting Willow Glen and Midlane in late July. Another two I should add are Lakemoor and Renwood.

Wood side / lakeside at cantigny yesterday.

These courses just don't suit my eye. I don't think there's 1 good hole on lakeside. Maybe hole 9 is ok.

I know a lot of People love cantigny, but I don't have much interest going back.

Agreed. The one time i played there it was in excellent condition. Other than that, it was quite a boring layout. Most of the green complexes were generally flat and no hole was memorable design wise.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I got to play foxford hills up in Cary with a free coupon I got at the golf show. I thought it was a very nice course. Chalet hills in Cary is also a decent course even though I haven't played there in 5 years. Makray is another nice course but pricey.

I got to play foxford hills up in Cary with a free coupon I got at the golf show. I thought it was a very nice course. Chalet hills in Cary is also a decent course even though I haven't played there in 5 years. Makray is another nice course but pricey.

Thanks. I've played all 3. All are excellent courses. I should probably list the courses in the area I've played, but it's a long list. The ones mentioned above are still on my to-do list.

Edit: Courses played:

Abbey Springs, Aldeen, Arboretum Club, Arrowhead, Balmoral Woods, Big Run, Billy Caldwell, Bittersweet, Blackstone, Bolingbrook, Bonnie Brook, Boughton Ridge, Bowes Creek, Bridges of Poplar Creek, Broken Arrow, Buffalo Grove, Burnham Woods, Cantigny, Carillon, Chalet Hills, Chick Evans, Cinder Ridge, Cog Hill #1, Cog Hill #2, Cog Hill #3, Cog Hill #4, Columbus Park, Country Club Estates, Coyote Run, Cranes Landing, Crystal Woods, Deerfield, Deerpath, Eaglewood, Fox Bend, Foxford Hills, Geneva National Palmer, Geneva National Player, Geneva National Trevino, George Dunne, Glen Club, Glencoe, Gleneagles Lakes, Glenwoodie, Golf Club of Illinois, Grand Geneva Brute, Grand Geneva Highlands, Harborside Port, Harborside Starboard, Hawks View Como Crossing, Heritage Bluffs, Highland Park, Highlands of Elgin, Hilldale, Indian Boundary, Indian Lakes, Jackson Park, Joe Louis, Kankakee Elks, Klein Creek, Lake Bluff, Lincoln Oaks, Lost Marsh, Makray Memorial, Maple Meadows, Marengo Ridge, Marquette Park, Meadows, Mill Creek, Mistwood, Mount Prospect, Naperbrook, Oak Brook, Oak Grove, Oak Meadows, Old Oak, Old Orchard, Orchard Valley, Pine Meadow, Plum Tree National, Prairie Isle, Prairie Landing, Prairie Bluff, Randall Oaks, Ravisloe, Redtail, River Bend, River Oaks, Robert Black, Ruffled Feathers, Sanctuary, Schaumburg Golf Club TB Champ, Scherwood, Settlers Hill, Seven Bridges, Shepherd's Crook, Silver Lake North, Silver Lakes South, South Shore, Sportsmans CC Classic, Sportsmans CC East 9, Springbrook, St Andrews No 1, Steeple Chase, Stonewall Orchard, Sunset Valley, Sydney R Marovitz, The Brassie, The Odyssey CC, Thunderhawk, Traditions at Chevy Chase, Valley Green, Village Greens, Village Links, Waters Edge, Whisper Creek, White Deer Run, White Pines West, Wicker Park Memorial, Willow Crest, Willow Hill, Wilmette, and Winnetka

Thanks. I've played all 3. All are excellent courses. I should probably list the courses in the area I've played, but it's a long list. The ones mentioned above are still on my to-do list.

Abbey Springs, Aldeen, Arboretum Club, Arrowhead, Balmoral Woods, Big Run, Billy Caldwell, Bittersweet, Blackstone, Bolingbrook, Bonnie Brook, Boughton Ridge, Bowes Creek, Bridges of Poplar Creek, Broken Arrow, Buffalo Grove, Burnham Woods, Cantigny, Carillon, Chalet Hills, Chick Evans, Cinder Ridge, Cog Hill #1, Cog Hill #2, Cog Hill #3, Cog Hill #4, Columbus Park, Country Club Estates, Coyote Run, Cranes Landing, Crystal Woods, Deerfield, Deerpath, Eaglewood, Fox Bend, Foxford Hills, Geneva National Palmer, Geneva National Player, Geneva National Trevino, George Dunne, Glen Club, Glencoe, Gleneagles Lakes, Glenwoodie, Golf Club of Illinois, Grand Geneva Brute, Grand Geneva Highlands, Harborside Port, Harborside Starboard, Hawks View Como Crossing, Heritage Bluffs, Highland Park, Highlands of Elgin, Hilldale, Indian Boundary, Indian Lakes, Jackson Park, Joe Louis, Kankakee Elks, Klein Creek, Lake Bluff, Lincoln Oaks, Lost Marsh, Makray Memorial, Maple Meadows, Marengo Ridge, Marquette Park, Meadows, Mill Creek, Mistwood, Mount Prospect, Naperbrook, Oak Brook, Oak Grove, Oak Meadows, Old Oak, Old Orchard, Orchard Valley, Pine Meadow, Plum Tree National, Prairie Isle, Prairie Landing, Prairie Bluff, Randall Oaks, Ravisloe, Redtail, River Bend, River Oaks, Robert Black, Ruffled Feathers, Sanctuary, Schaumburg Golf Club TB Champ, Scherwood, Settlers Hill, Seven Bridges, Shepherd's Crook, Silver Lake North, Silver Lakes South, South Shore, Sportsmans CC Classic, Sportsmans CC East 9, Springbrook, St Andrews No 1, Steeple Chase, Stonewall Orchard, Sunset Valley, Sydney R Marovitz, The Brassie, The Odyssey CC, Thunderhawk, Traditions at Chevy Chase, Valley Green, Village Greens, Village Links, Waters Edge, Whisper Creek, White Deer Run, White Pines West, Wicker Park Memorial, Willow Crest, Willow Hill, Wilmette, and Winnetka

Maybe wait for Palatine Hills until like Labor day, then you can hit a Palatine Hills, Arlington Lakes double, since you haven't been to either, and A. Lakes is currently closed (opening July 1 from renovation). That said, I don't know when you plan on starting the weekend golfing, but every time I have seen Palatine Hills on Golfnow, it is always 2-4. If they don't allow singles, and you are starting your weekend on Friday (July 1), I would be game to join as a twosome. A course I havent played either. My list is only in the 40s, and has lots of west/northwest courses, and a handful of Rockford area courses.

Maybe wait for Palatine Hills until like Labor day, then you can hit a Palatine Hills, Arlington Lakes double, since you haven't been to either, and A. Lakes is currently closed (opening July 1 from renovation). That said, I don't know when you plan on starting the weekend golfing, but every time I have seen Palatine Hills on Golfnow, it is always 2-4. If they don't allow singles, and you are starting your weekend on Friday (July 1), I would be game to join as a twosome. A course I havent played either. My list is only in the 40s, and has lots of west/northwest courses, and a handful of Rockford area courses.

I generally avoid renovated courses the year they reopen, as the greens are rock hard, and you wind up bouncing approach shots off of them like pool tables.

I'll likely skip PH, as it's close enough to downtown for a normal weekend drive. My brother lives in West Dundee, and I can crash at his place over the holiday weekend, which allows me to play two rounds a day while avoiding the drive out to the hinterlands.

This is an impressive list. May want to add Countryside. If you play Bartlett Hills, I recommend you swing by Streamwood Oaks for a quick tough 9 as a warm up.

This is an impressive list. May want to add Countryside. If you play Bartlett Hills, I recommend you swing by Streamwood Oaks for a quick tough 9 as a warm up.

Thanks. Yes, Countryside is on my short list for this summer. The western courses, including Bartlett Hills, Tanna Farms, Whitetail Ridge, Tamarack, and Bliss Creek are targeted for next season.

Played Odyssey and Bolingbrook over the weekend. The fairways and greens at Odyssey were in good shape. The rough and bunkers not so much. They did have piles of sand near the driving range, guessing they will be refilling the bunkers soon. Greens were running a little slow.

Bolingbrook was in amazing shape. Fairways were perfect. Greens were on the fast side. Great facility.

Anyone planning on playing in these?

2016 CPD Amateur Tournaments

Competition is open to all amateurs

101st Cook County Amateur | June 24th-26th at Columbus Park Golf Course

• $55 entry includes prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch
  • Applicable green fees apply
  • New this year- Quarter finalists pay no further green fees in event
  • 6/24 – Seeding Round (Stroke Play) & 1st round (Match Play)
  • 6/25 – 2nd & 3rd Rounds (Match Play)
  • 6/26 – Semi-finals and Final/Consolation Rounds (Match Play)

Click Here to Register

34th Senior Amateur | July 16th-17th at Marquette Park Golf Course

• $65 public/$55 cardholder entry fee includes green fees, prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch
  • 18-holes of stroke play each day

Click Here to Register

112th Chicago City Amateur | July 22nd-24th at Jackson Park Golf Course

• $165 public/$155 cardholder entry fee includes green fees, prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch
  • 7/21 – Practice rounds (schedule with golf shop)
  • 7/22 – 1st round
  • 7/23 – 2nd Round & Cut to 60% of field plus ties (new this year)
  • 7/24 – Final Round

Click Here to Register

44th Junior Amateur | July 25th-26th at Jackson Park Golf Course

• Entry Fees-18 hole Event $60 public/$55 Cardholder – 9 Hole Event $45 public/$40 Cardholder
  • Includes green fees, lunch & prize fund

Divisions

• Boys 18 Hole
  • Boys 18 Hole
  • Girls 18 Hole
  • Girls 9 Hole

Click Here to Register

89th Mid West Amateur | August 13th-14th at Sydney Marovitz Golf Course

• $155 public/$145 cardholder entry fee includes green fees, prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch
  • Practice rounds available Aug 8-12. Call golf shop for reservations.

Click Here to Register

21st Annual International | September 10th-11th at Robert Black Golf Course

• $25 entry includes prize fund & tee gifts
  • 18-holes each day
  • Modified Stableford Format

Click Here to Register

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

Arg, what'd you think of Fox Bend?

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Click Here to Register

• $65 public/$55 cardholder entry fee includes green fees, prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch

Click Here to Register

• $165 public/$155 cardholder entry fee includes green fees, prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch
  • 7/22 – 1st round
  • 7/24 – Final Round

Click Here to Register

• Entry Fees-18 hole Event $60 public/$55 Cardholder – 9 Hole Event $45 public/$40 Cardholder

Divisions

• Boys 18 Hole
  • Boys 18 Hole
  • Girls 18 Hole
  • Girls 9 Hole

Click Here to Register

• $155 public/$145 cardholder entry fee includes green fees, prize fund, tee gifts, daily lunch

Click Here to Register

• 18-holes each day

Click Here to Register

$160 to play Jackson Park? $150 to play Marovitz? I hope the person in the pro shop at least kisses you first before bending you over.

Click Here to Register

Click Here to Register

• 7/22 – 1st round
  • 7/24 – Final Round

Click Here to Register

Divisions

• Boys 18 Hole
  • Boys 18 Hole
  • Girls 18 Hole
  • Girls 9 Hole

Click Here to Register

Click Here to Register

• 18-holes each day

Click Here to Register

Marquette Park - first place I ever played the game. We used to go fishing for balls there back in the late 60s - how dumb was that!

15 hcp

It's been 4 years, but if I recall correctly, I liked the layout, but the conditions at the time were a bit spotty. Mind you, it was mid-May, so it wasn't at its mid-season peak.

$160 to play Jackson Park? $150 to play Marovitz? I hope the person in the pro shop at least kisses you first before bending you over.

Lol. They sell Vaseline for $10 extra.

I know how much difference it makes (never played there), but it looks like it includes 3 days of golf.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

It's been 4 years, but if I recall correctly, I liked the layout, but the conditions at the time were a bit spotty. Mind you, it was mid-May, so it wasn't at its mid-season peak.

If you don't mind Arg, I'll jump in.

Fox Bend is a nice design with a great variety of holes but it was one of the courses hit the hardest by the Emerald Ash bore. They had to take out something like 200 trees. It changed the look of the course completely but some might say it made it more playable. With the exception of the 3rd green, it's generally in very good shape with an above average pace of play.

I know how much difference it makes (never played there), but it looks like it includes 3 days of golf.

Jackson Park is normally $27 to walk on weekends. I have a soft spot in my heart for JP, as I played it often when I lived in the South Loop, but I wouldn't want to play 4 rounds there in a season, nevermind in a single week/weekend. The prizes had better be spectacular.

Stonewall on Friday. Saturday somewhere downstate near Bloomington perhaps...

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

If you don't mind Arg, I'll jump in.

Fox Bend is a nice design with a great variety of holes but it was one of the courses hit the hardest by the Emerald Ash bore. They had to take out something like 200 trees. It changed the look of the course completely but some might say it made it more playable. With the exception of the 3rd green, it's generally in very good shape with an above average pace of play.

Thanks. I've wanted to play it for a while, maybe I'll combine it with Whitetail for a 36 hole day.

that said, any opinions on whitetail ridge?

TM TP5x

Stonewall on Friday. Saturday somewhere downstate near Bloomington perhaps...

I was down there Memorial Day weekend. Check out: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1323086-north-central-illinois-course-recommendations-for-memorial-day/