2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Played Blackstone yesterday. The course is in great condition and playing VERY fast. The greens are really firm and quick but they will hold shots. We teed off at 11:15 and were enjoying an ice cold cerveza by 2:45. Only waited once and that was on the 17th tee which was awesome.

Nice! I need to get out there, never played Blackstone.

it's well worth the drive. Top 5 greens in IL.

Worth it from downtown Chicago?

Yes, definitely. As DP notes, great greens. I actually got down on my hands and knees on the 1st hole's green and kissed it a few years back. Having played on shag carpeting up to that point in the season, it was great to finally be putting on real greens.

The course is very close to Marengo Ridge, so you if you can get out of the city early enough to beat the traffic, they make a good 36. MR is certainly no Blackstone, but it's worth a visit.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Will have to check it out soon. Normally would have been outside my radius.

If that travel time doesn't scare you, try Oak Grove up in Harvard. One of the best courses in the area and it's a low volume course in terms of play. Very good greens.

Is OG still managed by GolfVisions?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Went up to Michigan for the weekend, 72 holes at 2 courses over 2 days. Courses were nothing special, but for just over $1 a hole you can't complain, perfect weather, perfect golf weekend. Very interesting that on both courses you simply couldn't hold the green. I had a 9 iron land 15 feet short on a par 3 and simply bound through the green, no reception whatsoever. Chip shots had no chance; if you're a fan of the low running and hard checking chip like myself you were SOL. But on the plus side both courses' greens rolled very smooth and true so you have to take the good with the bad.

Went up to Michigan for the weekend, 72 holes at 2 courses over 2 days. Courses were nothing special, but for just over $1 a hole you can't complain, perfect weather, perfect golf weekend. Very interesting that on both courses you simply couldn't hold the green. I had a 9 iron land 15 feet short on a par 3 and simply bound through the green, no reception whatsoever. Chip shots had no chance; if you're a fan of the low running and hard checking chip like myself you were SOL. But on the plus side both courses' greens rolled very smooth and true so you have to take the good with the bad.

What courses?

Deer Run in Lowell (not recommended) and Hastings Country Club. Both were chosen due to location and deals available and the ability to get 12 guys out for 2 rounds easily. Deer Run, the people were very nice, but it's your typical MI nothing special course. Pretty straight with a couple quirky and semi-stupid holes mixed in. Apparently their weed killer doesn't work either as the rough between holes was literally dandelion fields. But the greens rolled great. Hastings is nicer, but still nothing amazing, better conditioning overall and a fun course but probably not something I'd recommend to people to go out of their way for in terms of layout given better options around. Neither would be my choice in planning a golf weekend, but I wasn't in charge.

This talk of Blackstone and Marengo Ridge got me to thinking about a round I played, several years ago in the Kane County area. It may have even been a little farther out than Kane County. I can't remember the name of the course, but I remember it was across the street from a grass airstrip and there was actually an airplane landmark, not too far from the course and airstrip, near a three-way intersection. I think one of the par 3s had a long, crescent shaped teeing area and hole 17 or 18 teed off from somewhat of a plateau, over a creek and into a wide valley shared with some other holes.

Can anyone guess what course I'm thinking of?

This talk of Blackstone and Marengo Ridge got me to thinking about a round I played, several years ago in the Kane County area. It may have even been a little farther out than Kane County. I can't remember the name of the course, but I remember it was across the street from a grass airstrip and there was actually an airplane landmark, not too far from the course and airstrip, near a three-way intersection. I think one of the par 3s had a long, crescent shaped teeing area and hole 17 or 18 teed off from somewhat of a plateau, over a creek and into a wide valley shared with some other holes.

Only course I know out that way is Kankakee Elks. Very cool course, but not worth the drive from the city.

Prairie Landing?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Only course I know out that way is Kankakee Elks. Very cool course, but not worth the drive from the city.

No, Kankakee Elks is down south in Kanakee County, not out west in Kane County.

Are you thinking of Rich Harvest Farms? It's located near the Air Classics Museum on Rt 30, and they have several classic airplanes on static display outside.

No. More west than south. Maybe even northwest.

Thanks, though.

Prairie Landing?

Not PL. That's practically in my back yard. Farther west. Out towards, maybe past, Rt, 47.

Are you thinking of Rich Harvest Farms? It's located near the Air Classics Museum on Rt 30, and they have several classic airplanes on static display outside.

I wish. No, this was more like Mr. Rich's crop-dusting, WT cousin.

I wish. No, this was more like Mr. Rich's crop-dusting, WT cousin.

I can name that golf course in two notes.

Hmmm, Hughes Creek is out near Rt 47, but I don't see an airstrip. 'Same for Black Sheep. Could it be as far out as The Oak Club of Genoa?

Hughes Creek is a great guess, but I don't think that was the layout and it looks too close to civilization (in the guise of the town of Elburn).

It is not the Oak Club, but it could easily be that far out of the metropolitan area. I had a connection at what was to become the Oak Club and played there several times, soon after they opened I believe, when it was known as Elwood Greens.

Hughes Creek is a great guess, but I don't think that was the layout and it looks too close to civilization (in the guise of the town of Elburn).

It is not the Oak Club, but it could easily be that far out of the metropolitan area. I had a connection at what was to become the Oak Club and played there several times, soon after they opened I believe, when it was known as Elwood Greens.

How many years ago was it? A grass runway can be quickly turned into other uses. Are you thinking it might be the Dekalb or Sycamore area?

Who is looking for someone to go with in the morning? I think I might be scouring the golfnow/teeoff deals and find something to go with.

Went to a fundraiser scramble for a coworker at Glenwoodie today. Fairway was ok, the rough seemed like someones yard. Just didn't seem like the normal bent grass or whatever most courses use, and it grabbed the clubs quite a few times. Greens were in pretty good shape. Overall, I wasn't disappointed, but I also wouldn't make a trip back down there (I'm in the NW burbs) just to golf again. As a team, we shot -5, which I believe finished 2nd, but I didn't stay around for all of the post round activities.

I'm heading down to Kilbourne/Pekin/Bloomington/Urbana on Thursday for 6 rounds. 'Hopefully I'll dodge the predicted t-storms. It appears that the Chicago area has the same spotty forecast.

How many years ago was it? A grass runway can be quickly turned into other uses. Are you thinking it might be the Dekalb or Sycamore area?

It was at least 15 years ago. Good point about the airstrip. Same goes for the course, actually, and I'm leaning towards the course no longer existing, or I have amalgamated multiple courses into one "memory". Anyhow, I give up - especially since I wasted an hour before bed last night on google maps trying to locate this El Dorado.

I'd much rather talk about my round last Friday at Big Run! I had forgotten so much about this course since the last time I played it (common theme of mine..?), it was like playing it for the first time. I went back and enjoyed reading the posts about BR in this thread. The course was in great condition (except for the stones in the bunkers) - greens were smooth and true, tees and fairways were very good and the rough was uniformly cut down (thank goodness). I can't think of another public course in the area which offers such a challenging, interesting layout - and for under $50 (4:40 tee off) with a cart equipped with a laser rangefinder! Sure, some of the greens are too treacherous - particularly 9, 11, 12 and by the time I found myself on the wrong side of the ridge on 13, I wanted to pick up and go home. But the 13th green isn't as bad as it looks. The only green that is unfair/barely playable is the 11th. The rest, while very difficult, are fair.

Big Run was big fun. I liked it so much, I picked up this jersey in the pro shop.

I'll be looking for any excuse to go back.

We really should get together for a GolfWRX outting at Big Run this summer. I'm sure there are lots of folks here that haven't played it in a while. Of course, trying to line up everyone's schedule is nearly impossible.

Played Glencoe yesterday, love having that course 4 minutes from my office. Course was in very nice shape as always.

Crazy story...me and my buddy tee off at 3:45, there's a 4some up ahead of us a couple holes and no one behind us so we take our time and play really slow, spend 10 minutes on every tee box just chatting, having a good time. Get to the 12th hole and I notice a single walker behind us catching up. Figure we'll just let him play through when he catches us. He finally does when we are on the 13th green. Getting ready to putt and he starts yelling at us from the fairway, "if you're gonna cut in front of me at least don't hold me up!". We're like, wtf is he talking about? So I yell back that we haven't cut in front of anyone all day and are playing the holes in order. He shouts back about how he teed off at 5:00 and hasn't seen us all day. Like I said earlier, we were playing very slow which is why he never saw us till then. So more yelling back and forth about how full of crap he is. So he picks up his ball and goes to next tee box to jump in front of us. We finish putting and get up there as well, thinking this could get ugly. Get up there and realize that the guy yelling is a friend/hockey teammate of mine. End up playing the rest of the round with him.

Can't wait till our next game so I can tell that story in the locker room in front of the whole team and everyone can give him the appropriate amount of s*** for being such an idiot.

It was at least 15 years ago. Good point about the airstrip. Same goes for the course, actually, and I'm leaning towards the course no longer existing, or I have amalgamated multiple courses into one "memory". Anyhow, I give up - especially since I wasted an hour before bed last night on google maps trying to locate this El Dorado.

I'd much rather talk about my round last Friday at Big Run! I had forgotten so much about this course since the last time I played it (common theme of mine..?), it was like playing it for the first time. I went back and enjoyed reading the posts about BR in this thread. The course was in great condition (except for the stones in the bunkers) - greens were smooth and true, tees and fairways were very good and the rough was uniformly cut down (thank goodness). I can't think of another public course in the area which offers such a challenging, interesting layout - and for under $50 (4:40 tee off) with a cart equipped with a laser rangefinder! Sure, some of the greens are too treacherous - particularly 9, 11, 12 and by the time I found myself on the wrong side of the ridge on 13, I wanted to pick up and go home. But the 13th green isn't as bad as it looks. The only green that is unfair/barely playable is the 11th. The rest, while very difficult, are fair.

Big Run was big fun. I liked it so much, I picked up this jersey in the pro shop.

I'll be looking for any excuse to go back.

+1 on BR. Best bang for the buck (and Cinder Ridge) in Ch-town area.

15 hcp

We really should get together for a GolfWRX outting at Big Run this summer. I'm sure there are lots of folks here that haven't played it in a while. Of course, trying to line up everyone's schedule is nearly impossible.

Count me in for BR. I live literally 3 minutes away but haven't played it in couple years.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Getting an hour or so for practice is a piece of cake, but scheduling a full round even by myself is a chore. Taking part in a Big Run outing may take more luck than planning for me, but I'm definitely down to play, if I'm able.

I'm heading down to Kilbourne/Pekin/Bloomington/Urbana on Thursday for 6 rounds. 'Hopefully I'll dodge the predicted t-storms. It appears that the Chicago area has the same spotty forecast.

That sounds like a Crane Creek, Lick Creek, The Den, Prairie Vista, Ironwood and ...well...5 out of 6, if I were guessing. I haven't played these courses in some time. Crane Creek used to have a 36 hole special on Mondays that included lunch. That course always fed me my lunch...lol. I'm used to playing the courses here that allow you to spray it a little.

Have you played these places before? I'll be watching for your reviews.

That sounds like a Crane Creek, Lick Creek, The Den, Prairie Vista, Ironwood and ...well...5 out of 6, if I were guessing. I haven't played these courses in some time. Crane Creek used to have a 36 hole special on Mondays that included lunch. That course always fed me my lunch...lol. I'm used to playing the courses here that allow you to spray it a little.

Have you played these places before? I'll be watching for your reviews.

Crane Creek, Lick Creek, Metamora Fields, The Den, Prairie Vista, and Stone Creek. Lol. You sure have a lot of creeks down there.

It'll be my first visit to each of the courses. I'll post reviews in this thread: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1323086-north-central-illinois-course-recommendations-for-memorial-day/

Played Glencoe yesterday, love having that course 4 minutes from my office. Course was in very nice shape as always.

Crazy story...me and my buddy tee off at 3:45, there's a 4some up ahead of us a couple holes and no one behind us so we take our time and play really slow, spend 10 minutes on every tee box just chatting, having a good time. Get to the 12th hole and I notice a single walker behind us catching up. Figure we'll just let him play through when he catches us. He finally does when we are on the 13th green. Getting ready to putt and he starts yelling at us from the fairway, "if you're gonna cut in front of me at least don't hold me up!". We're like, wtf is he talking about? So I yell back that we haven't cut in front of anyone all day and are playing the holes in order. He shouts back about how he teed off at 5:00 and hasn't seen us all day. Like I said earlier, we were playing very slow which is why he never saw us till then. So more yelling back and forth about how full of crap he is. So he picks up his ball and goes to next tee box to jump in front of us. We finish putting and get up there as well, thinking this could get ugly. Get up there and realize that the guy yelling is a friend/hockey teammate of mine. End up playing the rest of the round with him.

Can't wait till our next game so I can tell that story in the locker room in front of the whole team and everyone can give him the appropriate amount of s*** for being such an idiot.

I teed off just before you at 3:15. The course was packed in front of me, but we still finished in just under 4hrs. I thought the course's in great shape.

Excited to take this season's first trip up to Green Lake this weekend. Leaving tomorrow night. First tee time at Lawsonia Links is set for Friday at 9:20. Hopefully we avoid the rain.

Probably play out at Lawsonia at least 3x over the weekend. Still have their $69 spring rates going through first week of June which is a nice bonus.

nice. I want to make it up there to see that course sometime.

Thunderhawk to start off of work competitive group series on Friday.

Hoping to get that one in...

Thunderhawk always get me though, so I'm hoping for some vindication.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Snuck out for a round at Old Orchard CC this morning. Booked a hot deal before bed last night and was able to play it for $20.50 with fee, so not bad. Teed off right around 740, and finished up around 11, and could have been quicker if not for the foursome that didn't let us play through. Blah round, but some nice shots. I have also been battling knee pain (self diagnosed strain/sprain of a ligament I thought) for about 2.5 months, and I am finally feeling close to 100%. With the warm weather, and lack of pain, if felt so much easier to swing the club.

Also finally trying out some new things that I pick up from YouTube videos and such. Monday, at our fundraiser scramble, we had like a 30 yard chip that was about 5 or 6 yards off the green. Normally, I would grab a wedge, and try to fly it most of the way there, and hope to get lucky (we all know how inconsistent those shots can be). I took a 7i, chipped it about a yard on the green, it skipped once, and rolled to about 5 feet. Everyone thought I mishit it, but it was exactly what I was aiming for. Had a few similar shots today that hot much better results that I would normally have by keeping the air time limited on short shots around the green. It gives me hope for the summer rounds yet to come.

Had to pass up playing Prairie Landing tomorrow afternoon. Went into cardiac arrest. Had a beer. All good now. Carry on.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]