2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Apparently I am checking out Seven Bridges Sunday with a coworker at 220. Still 2 left on Hot Deal at GN for $53, if anyone from here wants to join us.

Tough course. Shot a 106 (Yikes). Lost 9 balls, so that was quite a few strokes there. Did manage 6 pars though, including 10 and 11.

SB is tough on a normal day. When the wind kicks up, it can have some real teeth. 'Doesn't help that many of the fairways slope towards the hazards. The two nines were originally reversed. Imagine having to tee off on #10 as your first shot of the day without having a range to warm up.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Great day at Mistwood, at least weather and conditions wise. Game wise? Not so much, but it was great to get out and enjoy few cold ones. I did hear from what appears to be reliable source that Cog Hill has been or is in the process of being sold. The new ownership plans on keeping 2 courses and converting the other 2 into housing development. Considering the recent developments Palos- Park is in the process of annexing the property, as well as Gleneagles - I'm not surprised one bit.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Yesterday we played up at Oak Grove, which is about a 90 minute drive from Naperhell. For years, I've praised most aspects of the course but have always challenged Golf Visions that they could do a much better job of operating the business. Arrived about an hour before the tee time and wanted to hit a few balls. On Sunday morning, the ball machine was empty. After refilling it, the first pic shows what came out. This is the same condition of balls that other guys on the range had as well. Seriously, those balls don't look like they've been washed in weeks or maybe even this year. Forget them being beaten to hell and older than me. The range no longer has any club cleaner on it.

There was no starter and of course, no ranger on the course.

On a rather warm day, were was no beverage cart nor was there any water on the course.

The second pic shows what the tee shot looks like on the 16th hole. I've posted other pics on this tee shot over the years and it's not much better. If you actually go back a tee box or two, it's a much easier shot with a much easier angle. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've written to Tim Miles, the CEO of Golf Visions about some of the shortcomings of what could be a top facility in the state but he apparently doesn't care about responding to a client's concerns. So, if you're going to Oak Grove, you'll get 17 great holes, one of the worst designed holes in IL and not much else.

20160529_084817.jpg

20160529_131342.jpg

No water on the course at OG? 'Sounds familiar. That's the reason I've never been back since I played a CDGA tournament there years ago. Temperatures in the upper 80's, and no water on the course, and no mention of it by the Pro Shop or starters. One can only carry so much water when walking. I complained after the round, and was given a half-a**ed excuse that people have "poisoned" the water jugs. Really? With locks on them?

Mind you, at the time Golf Visions also managed Ravisloe, and there was water on the course there.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Had a nice round at Prairie Landing. Professionally run course. One of the last courses I have seen that has GPS to the pin on the carts. The back 9 was a little slow, but the course was in pretty good shape, albeit not on the same level as Blackstone where I played Saturday. At the turn they had food ready so you don't have to wait for them to cook it. The guys I played with were friendly too. I got a huge discount through Golf Now and I played for $37. Cart girl made a ton of passes which was nice because she was the most beautiful one I've seen. I did not ask for her number this time because I don't want to ruin my current 100% success rate.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Decided to book a last minute twilight round at Mt Prospect. Tee'd off at 327, and endured a 5 hour round, but was able to finish with a touch of sunlight left. Was paired with 3 others (two friends, and another single).Was able to piece together an 87, and if actually felt a bit better than that. For me, it was a decent round. 6 pars, no penalties nor lost balls. The few birdie putts I had, I couldn't find one to drop.

The other single, had a Minnesota bag. Found out he was a former player at the U of Minnesota. Was nice to see some of the shots he hit. Said he doesn't get out much now, but through talking, said he was a +1 while playing in college, but he was only playing his third round of the year. Not sure what he shot, but he said he broke 80 (seemed like he would have been mid to upper 70s)

Great day at Mistwood, at least weather and conditions wise. Game wise? Not so much, but it was great to get out and enjoy few cold ones. I did hear from what appears to be reliable source that Cog Hill has been or is in the process of being sold. The new ownership plans on keeping 2 courses and converting the other 2 into housing development. Considering the recent developments Palos- Park is in the process of annexing the property, as well as Gleneagles - I'm not surprised one bit.

Rumor I heard is that Cog Hill is going to become a TPC course.

That would make sense, as the name I heard thrown out was PGA.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Play arrowhead today. Arrived for a 7:15 tee time at 6:30 paid and checked in at the club house, headed to the range to warm up. Arrived to the first tee at 7:05 and noticed that there was two groups on the box. I asked the starter if they were running behind and he said no that is the 7:22 group, they were here and I take people as they come. After trying to figure out if he was serious or not I ask him what the point of booking tee times and his response was have a nice day, I've told you everything that I can. Obviously not the start to a round I was hoping for.

Besides that the course was in pretty good shape, greens were running fast and the rough was between 3-5 inches.

Maybe PGA stands for Palos Grabs & Annexations.

Ironically, it seems that Palos annexed the land for Gleneagles...so maybe you're correct.

Is cog similar to what pine meadow is? Land that is owned by the church but leased to the jemsek for management.

Maybe the church is getting out of the golf business.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Maybe PGA stands for Palos Grabs & Annexations.

Ironically, it seems that Palos annexed the land for Gleneagles...so maybe you're correct.

Is cog similar to what pine meadow is? Land that is owned by the church but leased to the jemsek for management.

Maybe the church is getting out of the golf business.

I don't think so. I think the Jemsek's own Cog Hill and have a contract to run Pine Meadow.

We have had a permanent tee time at Cog since 1991. Conditions this year (greens and rough) are not what they used to be. They hired a different groundskeeper this year. Frank Jemsek has not been in charge for a few years, his daughter runs it now.

Curious where you heard this rumor about this sale - would not surprise in the least. Would surprise me more if they actually find a private buyer .

15 hcp

We have had a permanent tee time at Cog since 1991. Conditions this year (greens and rough) are not what they used to be. They hired a different groundskeeper this year. Frank Jemsek has not been in charge for a few years, his daughter runs it now.

Curious where you heard this rumor about this sale - would not surprise in the least. Would surprise me more if they actually find a private buyer .

A friend I played with yesterday heard it from someone who works at the course. The whole place is 1000+ acree. Even if they kept 2 & 4 and all buildings and range, there's still room for few hundred homes/townhomes/condos.... Land is getting pretty scarce in that area.

Getting back to Gleneagles - the rumors about the sale have been circulating for quite some time. Lemont wouldn't give them water/sewer, so there was talk of Ludwig's farm and Gleneagles building their own treatment plant. Ludwig had to go through county to get the new development approved (again, Lemont wouldn't approve the smaller homes/townhomes they wanted to build). It's a complete cluster-you-know-what...

Yesterday we played up at Oak Grove, which is about a 90 minute drive from Naperhell. For years, I've praised most aspects of the course but have always challenged Golf Visions that they could do a much better job of operating the business. Arrived about an hour before the tee time and wanted to hit a few balls. On Sunday morning, the ball machine was empty. After refilling it, the first pic shows what came out. This is the same condition of balls that other guys on the range had as well. Seriously, those balls don't look like they've been washed in weeks or maybe even this year. Forget them being beaten to hell and older than me. The range no longer has any club cleaner on it.

On a rather warm day, were was no beverage cart nor was there any water on the course.

The second pic shows what the tee shot looks like on the 16th hole. I've posted other pics on this tee shot over the years and it's not much better. If you actually go back a tee box or two, it's a much easier shot with a much easier angle. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've written to Tim Miles, the CEO of Golf Visions about some of the shortcomings of what could be a top facility in the state but he apparently doesn't care about responding to a client's concerns. So, if you're going to Oak Grove, you'll get 17 great holes, one of the worst designed holes in IL and not much else.

20160529_084817.jpg

20160529_131342.jpg

I actually hit my own shag balls to warm up. The range balls they had were ridiculous.

Game is in the dumps. I went 85-87 for my weekend rounds. Back to the drawing board.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

i played blackberry oaks yesterday. it started to rain on the 12th hole and finally had to call it quits after 15. i don't remember it being as tough as it was yesterday. the rough was longer then most courses in the area and seemed to have more prairie grass in areas where i thought there was none. i think if i just hit iron or hybrids off the tee instead of driver on most i would have scored alot better then i did.

Had a great weekend up in Green Lake. Got in 3 rounds at Lawsonia, 2 on the Links and one on the Woodlands. Courses were in great shape, but the rain washed out 90% of the bunkers for the entire weekend. And the greens were slower than ever because of the rain, but still pretty quick.

If you ever get a chance to go to Green Lake don't pass it up. A weekend at Lawsonia is about as peaceful a time you can have on a golf course. People there are so nice, from the staff to everyone you see on the course. I don't even make tee times when I go as a single, just show up and talk to the starter and he always figures out a way to get me out on the course I want.

Played pretty good, but struggling quite a bit with the hybrids. So weird, the past 2 years my hybrids were my best clubs. Consistent ball striking and kept them straight pretty much all the time. Then all of the sudden this year I can't hit them at all. Fat shots most of the time, missing the club face as well. Balls going left and right. But, on the other hand, I couldn't hit my driver at all for 2 straight years, 220 yards max with a wicked slice. But, after one session on the range a month ago I figured it out and since then its been my best club. Hitting over 50% fairways and 240-260 yards. Been hitting my irons great too. But, my putting has been so bad, finally started to putt a little better by the end of the weekend. Ended up with rounds of 86 and 84 on the Links, 83 on the Woodlands. Just ok scores for me out there, but the play was better than the scores (other than the putting which cost me a solid 8 strokes during that 86 round).

Today is wednesday so that means 2 things. After work golf league and crappy weather.

Anyone interested in playing Bittersweet in Gurnee on Sunday morning? I've wanted to get on this course for several years now, but they don't take tee times for singles. 'Looks like it's $55, and not sure if that includes cart.

20160529_084817.jpg

20160529_131342.jpg

I am not a fan of OG. Those practice range balls are always horrendous and hole #11 makes me want to light it on fire. What a bad hole. Much better options around. Sad that Plum Tree is no longer around. That was always a fun play.

Anyone interested in playing Bittersweet in Gurnee on Sunday morning? I've wanted to get on this course for several years now, but they don't take tee times for singles. 'Looks like it's $55, and not sure if that includes cart.

I played that course >10yrs ago and left being butter and haven't been back since.

35929297.jpg

I am not a fan of OG. Those practice range balls are always horrendous and hole #11 makes me want to light it on fire. What a bad hole. Much better options around. Sad that Plum Tree is no longer around. That was always a fun play.

I played Plum Tree once, and it was extremely wet. Was poor drainage common, or was I simply there after too much rain?

What do you guys think of Galena? Thinking of taking a Labor day weekend trip there with the wife. I know they have 3 courses, are they all good? Can you get good stay and play packages there?

Also, if we combine it with a trip to some surrounding areas on the way back are there any courses worth playing or areas worth seeing?

What do you guys think of Galena? Thinking of taking a Labor day weekend trip there with the wife. I know they have 3 courses, are they all good? Can you get good stay and play packages there?

Also, if we combine it with a trip to some surrounding areas on the way back are there any courses worth playing or areas worth seeing?

I assume you mean Eagle Ridge? 'Love the General. The other two courses are worth playing, but not overly special. One is fairly tight, and the other more open.

I'd suggest a trip to TPC Deere Run in Silvis as a first stop, and then it's an hour and a half scenic drive up to Galena. Either that, or a stop at Aldeen in Rockford on the way.