Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I played the Preserve on Monday. The greens and tees are pretty good, some wet spots in a few fairways. They were doing a lot of maintenance.

I've played it 9 times now. I finally parred the 9th hole. Hybrid off tee, hybrid approach is the way for me to play it.

The last few rounds it's been $39/walk, that's a great deal. We'll have to wait until next season to see conditions, pace vs price.

wow, jim, that's a solid number of rounds at the Preserve, way to go...

I got lucky on 9 the first time I played it (blue tees).

It is a beast of a hole.

Threw caution to the wind and hit driver, and made it through the constriction at the fairway bunker and was able to play 8-iron into the green from a lie that was at the left edge of the fairway with ball above the feet.

2 putted from the back of the green over the ridge to the front-mid pin location.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I played the Preserve on Monday. The greens and tees are pretty good, some wet spots in a few fairways. They were doing a lot of maintenance.

I've played it 9 times now. I finally parred the 9th hole. Hybrid off tee, hybrid approach is the way for me to play it.

The last few rounds it's been $39/walk, that's a great deal. We'll have to wait until next season to see conditions, pace vs price.

So Jim...you're probably got more experience on the Preserve than anyone on the site. What's your take having played it multiple times? Has knowing the routing and having more knowledge on the greens helped with your scoring?

Fun round at Bridges of Poplar Creek. Shot 78 and played in under 3 hours. Neat little course in good shape with fairly firm, smooth, and fast greens despite the rain. First time playing it, but I’ll be back.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Playing it tomorrow!

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Fun round at Bridges of Poplar Creek. Shot 78 and played in under 3 hours. Neat little course in good shape with fairly firm, smooth, and fast greens despite the rain. First time playing it, but I’ll be back.

I thought the same HM. I haven’t played it in about 10yrs and was quite surprised with the greens myself.

I’ll def be back next season.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Playing Bridges of Poplar Creek Wednesday and The Preserve on Thursday...

What time today? Was thinking of playing it too.

Sorry HM I just saw this post. We started at 9am.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

What time today? Was thinking of playing it too.

Sorry HM I just saw this post. We started at 9am.

Ah. I started at 11.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

@J Money is this your first go round on the Preserve?

No sir, tomorrow will be my 2nd time around. Really enjoyed the layout.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

So Jim...you're probably got more experience on the Preserve than anyone on the site. What's your take having played it multiple times? Has knowing the routing and having more knowledge on the greens helped with your scoring?

I really like it. It's 25 minutes from my house, the range and practice area are also very nice. Of my 9 rounds, only one was painfully slow. We'll see what happens with the conditions and fee structure next season. I'll be ok with the max walking rate in the $50/60 range.

My scoring has been fairly consistent. My best is 78, worst is 82.

Gary I know you thought the greens were tricky when you played. However, I think they're fairly straight forward.

I have three suggestions (I wouldn't go so far as to say complaints) that I've shared with the manager. 1) More water coolers on the course. He says they're on it 2) Mow paths between greens and tees, especially between 9 and 10. 3) All the par threes play too close to the same distance. They should vary where the tee are set to make it more interesting. Blue/Black they all play 160ish. They could have them play from 130 to 180.

• Like 1

I really like it. It's 25 minutes from my house, the range and practice area are also very nice. Of my 9 rounds, only one was painfully slow. We'll see what happens with the conditions and fee structure next season. I'll be ok with the max walking rate in the $50/60 range.

My scoring has been fairly consistent. My best is 78, worst is 82.

Gary I know you thought the greens were tricky when you played. However, I think they're fairly straight forward.

I have three suggestions (I wouldn't go so far as to say complaints) that I've shared with the manager. 1) More water coolers on the course. He says they're on it 2) Mow paths between greens and tees, especially between 9 and 10. 3) All the par threes play too close to the same distance. They should vary where the tee are set to make it more interesting. Blue/Black they all play 160ish. They could have them play from 130 to 180.

I have played quite a few times at preserve since they opened. I think once it matures it will be an excellent course. I have heard from multiple people that the greens are really fast but each time I have found them painfully slow but for the most part straight forward. As far as knowing the lay out saving strokes I think it is a max one or two. Knowing where to hit it on #4 is probably helpful as it is driveable. I agree with Jim about the par 3s they are too similar. Last time out I ended up playing the blues and blacks for par 3s. Made the course a lot more intimidating. I ask the pro last time I was there what the regular rate would be next year $79 weekday, $99 weekend (w cart). He immediately said "there will be coupons online though" so I am assuming there has been some negative response to those prices. My thoughts are in order to keep that course in shape and from being over played the price will need to be around there. Also, think its weird they haven't figured out the beverage cart on holes 2-5 yet! Overall really enjoy preserve!

^^^^^ Yeah, I also believe $80 / $99 will be the death of them. Coupons will help but it'll be tough to keep the round count up if that's the rack rate.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

I've heard that there will be discounts for walking, so that should help somewhat.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I've heard that there will be discounts for walking, so that should help somewhat.

Most definitely.

Played it today and I really like the course. Greens were on the slow side but nothing to really complain about after all the recent rain. Its close to work and home so that's a huge plus...

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

I love the course.

I've only played it once, but spent a lot of time researching it, so when I played it, I was pretty prepared.

I think the tee shot on 12 is another one where it's a bit tricky to pick a tee club.

I agree that they should mix up the teeboxes on the par 3's to provide some variety in playing length in a given round.

TM TP5x

Supposed to play our yearly "Ryder Cup" style (2 man vs 2 man scramble) tomorrow morning at Prairie Bluff. Weather doesn't look too promising.

... Just got back from playing Prairie Bluff and the.fairways are wet with little to no roll. Same for the fronts of greens as your ball will stop right by it's pitchfork so you have to carry everything on the green. Made it tough downwind because the greens are faster than normal and rolling really, really well so it was hard to hold the greens downwind. But looks like rain, rain and more rain.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

I was hoping there might be an opening in the radar this morning, but it's looking rather bleak. It's clear south of I-80 at the moment, but there's a line of heavy rain near Ottawa that will hit in the next hour or so. I'm going to keep my eye on the radar, and hopefully I can get out to Marovitz for 9 holes. If not, tomorrow looks decent.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Well, can’t say we didn’t try... Got to PB before 9 and it was raining but not too bad. Decided to start our “match”, but packed it in after 1 hole when a downpour started and the greens were unputtable. Looking at the radar, it looked promising down south, so we decided to head to Cinder Ridge. When we teed off, it was very nice but you could see the rain coming. 5 holes in, the skies opened up and we we spent the next 20 min in the shelter. It cleared up a little so we got 2 more holes in and that’s when a big one came. After 10 minutes under a tree (yeah, great idea with lightning in the area), we decided to call it a day. Oh well, I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

We needed the rain but dang this is a lot of rain...

Going to let things dry out and play Poplar Creek Wednesday and Stonewall Orchard on Thursday.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Wilmette GC in the early morning tomorrow. Do they sell waders with golf spikes?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Wilmette GC in the early morning tomorrow. Do they sell waders with golf spikes?

You might need an inflatable raft...

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

You might need an inflatable raft...

No kidding. I see that they were closed yesterday. I just called, and nobody is in the pro shop yet. I have a feeling this might be another day on the sofa. I poked my head out the window, and the winds are 20+ mph. Combined with the saturated conditions, I'm guessing it would be an all around sloppy day.

I regripped a wedge, spun it three times, and repeated "There's no place like home".

Skies cleared but the course is still closed.

Four inches of rain had some lingering effect.....

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Bear and I braved the elements and walked 36 holes at Washington County today. They didn't get quite as much rain yesterday as the Chicago area got and, with the Packers playing at noon and high winds in the forecast, we weren't planning on seeing too many people on the course. Bear's MP-18 SC's came in on Friday and he was itching to hit them and I'm always down for a couple of rounds regardless of the weather so we took advantage. Throughout the first 14 holes, conditions were as bad as I've ever played in, with consistent rain and 30-35 mph winds. Eventually, the rain stopped and the sun peeked out, but the wind never really died down. Needles to say, it was not exactly optimal scoring conditions. I hit the ball well enough to shoot in the mid-70s but the best I could manage was an 81 for round one and a 79 for round two. The seventh and 13th holes both felt like they were playing about 650 yards since they were right into the Northwest wind. For the second 18, the high winds dried out the greens and they were rolling at about an 11. The course itself was in excellent shape.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Bear and I braved the elements and walked 36 holes at Washington County today. They didn't get quite as much rain yesterday as the Chicago area got and, with the Packers playing at noon and high winds in the forecast, we weren't planning on seeing too many people on the course. Bear's MP-18 SC's came in on Friday and he was itching to hit them and I'm always down for a couple of rounds regardless of the weather so we took advantage. Throughout the first 14 holes, conditions were as bad as I've ever played in, with consistent rain and 30-35 mph winds. Eventually, the rain stopped and the sun peeked out, but the wind never really died down. Needles to say, it was not exactly optimal scoring conditions. I hit the ball well enough to shoot in the mid-70s but the best I could manage was an 81 for round one and a 79 for round two. The seventh and 13th holes both felt like they were playing about 650 yards since they were right into the Northwest wind. For the second 18, the high winds dried out the greens and they were rolling at about an 11. The course itself was in excellent shape.

Nice. I'm big Wash Co fan. My in laws live close, so I get there 6ish times a year.

Well done breaking 80 in those conditions. If 7 and 13 are into the wind, tee shot on 9 had to be tough?

... As someone that went to LA 2 times last year to visit my son and played 30 days in a row both trips, I tip my cap to you two! I will not play in 25+mph winds anymore... or rain ... or when it gets below, say 55* unless it is winter and no wind with sunshine. You guys are golfing warriors. Or idiots. :victory:

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Nice. I'm big Wash Co fan. My in laws live close, so I get there 6ish times a year.

Well done breaking 80 in those conditions. If 7 and 13 are into the wind, tee shot on 9 had to be tough?

It was tough, had to bail out to the left side of the fairway. The usual high fade wasn't an option, but at least the second shot on 9 was down wind.

The conditions for Round 1 were as challenging as I've played in. I shot 85 and I would consider that to be one of my better rounds this year. I knew it was going to be rough when #5, the short 4, was playing three full shots into the green.

And, the course was in great shape considering the rain. Soft, but really no standing water. Greens were extremely smooth and picked up pace as the wind dried them out. Putting was difficult all day.

I thought we would be the only fools playing, but I was surprised by the number of groups out there.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo