2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

> @geochitown said:

> > @AndyC76 said:

> > > @Apindara said:

> > > Totally agree with the Steeplechase assessment. I really like the place but no way does it deserve those usga ratings. I would love to hear how they came up with those numbers.

> > How do you guys feel about shepherds crook’s rating. I’ve always thought it’s a bit under rated based on the greens and that long par 3. Which can be tough for a mid teens handicapper like myself. I do realize it’s a par 71. But I feel like the slope should be a bit higher.

> >

> That's the one (Shepherd's Crook), in addition to Highlands of Elgin I think is rated too low on slope.

>

the Crook from the Blacks plays just under 6300, rated 123.

Sportsmans from the Blacks plays just under 6300, rated 128.

links style vs parkland. fescue vs conventional rough.

as mentioned, even from the Golds - at 6000 - the Crook can be difficult for some players.

their rating seems a tad low.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @"@_the_crook" said:

>

>

> > @geochitown said:

> > > @AndyC76 said:

> > > > @Apindara said:

> > > > Totally agree with the Steeplechase assessment. I really like the place but no way does it deserve those usga ratings. I would love to hear how they came up with those numbers.

> > > How do you guys feel about shepherds crook’s rating. I’ve always thought it’s a bit under rated based on the greens and that long par 3. Which can be tough for a mid teens handicapper like myself. I do realize it’s a par 71. But I feel like the slope should be a bit higher.

> > >

> > That's the one (Shepherd's Crook), in addition to Highlands of Elgin I think is rated too low on slope.

> >

> the Crook from the Blacks plays just under 6300, rated 123.

> Sportsmans from the Blacks plays just under 6300, rated 128.

> links style vs parkland. fescue vs conventional rough.

> as mentioned, even from the Golds - at 6000 - the Crook can be difficult for some players.

> their rating seems a tad low.

>

Definitely have some holes that got my number at the crook.

I just can’t seem to play a decent round this year. I’ve had rounds with 1-2 birdies and then I’ll put up a couple snowmen to come completely off the rails. Such is golf though.

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @Dashfast said:

> > Played Sunset Valley and Glencoe in the past few days. Really impressed with the Sunset Valley course - apparently they've made some recent improvements. It was challenging, pretty, and generally idyllic (IMO). Enjoyed my time at Glencoe as well - for $32, it's a pretty great deal. As far as difficulty is concerned though, I'd say that SV is much harder than Glencoe, yet Glencoe has a little bit higher of a slope/rating. Anywho, both are solid courses that I'd recommend.

> The rating and slope at Glencoe are way beyond inflated. The numbers at most Chicago area courses are nuts. The worst has gotta be Steeple Chase but Glencoe gives it a real run by playing over par with a 133 slope. Is the course hard? Not at all. Does it have a bunch of long 4’s? Nope. Are the 5’s beastly? Not at all. What about the 3’s? Well, one is long but plays dead straight and shots can run up. Stick Glencoe in Southern Wisconsin or Southwest Michigan and it’s rating is below 71 with a slope in the mid-to-high 120’s.

>

I play both Glencoe and SV a lot. Basically my home courses. I agree that either Glencoe is inflated or SV is too low.

Less rain at Wooddale overnight and Salt Creek has been low for a few weeks., I'd suggest the Preserve at Oak Meadows.

Good location for your trip as well.

Mt Prospect will be in great shape, but it's a shorter course with tough, undulating greens that sometime translate into longer rounds.

Or play Highlands of Elgin, Bowes Creek or Blackstone as they are all on the 90 west corridor.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> Less rain at Wooddale overnight and Salt Creek has been low for a few weeks., I'd suggest the Preserve at Oak Meadows.

> Good location for your trip as well.

> Mt Prospect will be in great shape, but it's a shorter course with tough, undulating greens that sometime translate into longer rounds.

> Or play Highlands of Elgin, Bowes Creek or Blackstone as they are all on the 90 west corridor.

Have you played The Preserve this season? I keep seeing it recommended, but I would be scared off by the pictures from April of the course being underwater. The rain really hasn't stopped since that point either.

Ben - I would play Blackstone.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @AndyC76 said:

> > @"@_the_crook" said:

> >

> >

> > > @geochitown said:

> > > > @AndyC76 said:

> > > > > @Apindara said:

> > > > > Totally agree with the Steeplechase assessment. I really like the place but no way does it deserve those usga ratings. I would love to hear how they came up with those numbers.

> > > > How do you guys feel about shepherds crook’s rating. I’ve always thought it’s a bit under rated based on the greens and that long par 3. Which can be tough for a mid teens handicapper like myself. I do realize it’s a par 71. But I feel like the slope should be a bit higher.

> > > >

> > > That's the one (Shepherd's Crook), in addition to Highlands of Elgin I think is rated too low on slope.

> > >

> > the Crook from the Blacks plays just under 6300, rated 123.

> > Sportsmans from the Blacks plays just under 6300, rated 128.

> > links style vs parkland. fescue vs conventional rough.

> > as mentioned, even from the Golds - at 6000 - the Crook can be difficult for some players.

> > their rating seems a tad low.

> >

> Definitely have some holes that got my number at the crook.

> I just can’t seem to play a decent round this year. I’ve had rounds with 1-2 birdies and then I’ll put up a couple snowmen to come completely off the rails. Such is golf though.

>

I think the slope is correct at Shepherd's, but the rating is too low (from the black tees).

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @benkodi said:

> Fellas,

> I'll be in CHI Sunday AM and looking for a round with a buddy. What is our best option if we want great greens and good conditioning overall? I know it's been unseasonably wet.

>

> My buddy is in Old Town and I'll be heading to Madison post round, so something on that side of town is a bonus.

>

> Thanks!

I'd consider Bowes Creek or The Highlands of Elgin and if your Chicago bud doesn't mind a bit of a drive, Blackstone in Marengo. Great greens and conditions and well designed tracks.

First trip to Palmira GC in St John on Saturday morning.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Article in Crain's talks about country clubs biting the dust and general decline in rounds:

Joliet CC, Big Run, the famous on this thread Mill Creek, Calumet and a few others are mentioned...

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/more-private-golf-courses-biting-dust

as has been mentioned, redevelopment of golf course land to residential or industrial warehouses.

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @benkodi said:

> > Fellas,

> > I'll be in CHI Sunday AM and looking for a round with a buddy. What is our best option if we want great greens and good conditioning overall? I know it's been unseasonably wet.

> >

> > My buddy is in Old Town and I'll be heading to Madison post round, so something on that side of town is a bonus.

> >

> > Thanks!

>

> I'd consider Bowes Creek or The Highlands of Elgin and if your Chicago bud doesn't mind a bit of a drive, Blackstone in Marengo. Great greens and conditions and well designed tracks.

I agree with this, I'd hit Blackstone then head north to Madison. Blackstone greens are pretty untouchable right now in the area.

• Like 1

I'm still in the process of checking off Chicagoland courses that I haven't got around to playing in the past umpeen years. At this point I'm pretty much down to the bottom of the barrel, or the courses that are far flung. 'Don't expect much, but I do get surprised at times.

I still have to play Brae Loch, Palatine Hills, Edgebrook, Hickory Hills, Canal Shores, Tanna Farms, Turnberry, Green Garden (Blue), Woodruff, Inwwod, and Wedgewood in the local area.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @geochitown said:

> Article in Crain's talks about country clubs biting the dust and general decline in rounds:

> Joliet CC, Big Run, the famous on this thread Mill Creek, Calumet and a few others are mentioned...

>

> https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/more-private-golf-courses-biting-dust

>

> as has been mentioned, redevelopment of golf course land to residential or industrial warehouses.

>

>

Last year was pretty brutal for courses. The wet spring resulted in a large decline in rounds played. I'm sure this year is worse.

It's sad to lose a course, but the reality is that we have over 200 courses in the area (including the 9 hole layouts). Those courses that provide good value will survive.

> @geochitown said:

> Article in Crain's talks about country clubs biting the dust and general decline in rounds:

> Joliet CC, Big Run, the famous on this thread Mill Creek, Calumet and a few others are mentioned...

>

> https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/more-private-golf-courses-biting-dust

>

> as has been mentioned, redevelopment of golf course land to residential or industrial warehouses.

>

>

Have shared before that McWethy and I have golfed together and had a beverage or two. When he asked why I didn't play Mistwood more I told him it was the cost. He said he was trying to find the price point for Mistwood and would raise price until rounds declined. Will be interesting to see if there is stability in the rates going forward.

> @VNutz said:

> Interesting that Pheasant Run is listed. I always wondered how that place made it and why it was as popular as it is. Maybe it's really not as popular as I imagined. Courses are probably jumping to get housing deals now while the market is up.

Back in the day Ace, PR was a true destination resort that people went to for a weekend, golfed, dined and enjoyed the live entertainment. 35 years ago there were few golf courses out west and St. Charles was the end of the burbs and pretty much the last stop before Iowa so their tee sheets were full. As more and better courses came into play, it became a golfing after thought. Kind of the same thing that happened with the Old Nordic Hills/Eaglewood Resort.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > Interesting that Pheasant Run is listed. I always wondered how that place made it and why it was as popular as it is. Maybe it's really not as popular as I imagined. Courses are probably jumping to get housing deals now while the market is up.

>

> Back in the day Ace, PR was a true destination resort that people went to for a weekend, golfed, dined and enjoyed the live entertainment. 35 years ago there were few golf courses out west and St. Charles was the end of the burbs and pretty much the last stop before Iowa so their tee sheets were full. As more and better courses came into play, it became a golfing after thought. Kind of the same thing that happened with the Old Nordic Hills/Eaglewood Resort.

I'd throw Indian Lakes on that list, too.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @geochitown said:

> > Article in Crain's talks about country clubs biting the dust and general decline in rounds:

> > Joliet CC, Big Run, the famous on this thread Mill Creek, Calumet and a few others are mentioned...

> >

> > https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/more-private-golf-courses-biting-dust

> >

> > as has been mentioned, redevelopment of golf course land to residential or industrial warehouses.

> >

> >

>

> Have shared before that McWethy and I have golfed together and had a beverage or two. When he asked why I didn't play Mistwood more I told him it was the cost. He said he was trying to find the price point for Mistwood and would raise price until rounds declined. Will be interesting to see if there is stability in the rates going forward.

I've played Harborside once this season. Tyically at this point of the year I'd have played the courses a handful of times. Weather has certainly been a factor, as they're one of the first courses to go cart path only after any amount of rain. However, I think I'm just growing tired of paying top dollar for two courses that can be in so-so condition.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @geochitown said:

> > > Article in Crain's talks about country clubs biting the dust and general decline in rounds:

> > > Joliet CC, Big Run, the famous on this thread Mill Creek, Calumet and a few others are mentioned...

> > >

> > > https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/more-private-golf-courses-biting-dust

> > >

> > > as has been mentioned, redevelopment of golf course land to residential or industrial warehouses.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Have shared before that McWethy and I have golfed together and had a beverage or two. When he asked why I didn't play Mistwood more I told him it was the cost. He said he was trying to find the price point for Mistwood and would raise price until rounds declined. Will be interesting to see if there is stability in the rates going forward.

>

> I've played Harborside once this season. Tyically at this point of the year I'd have played the courses a handful of times. Weather has certainly been a factor, as they're one of the first courses to go cart path only after any amount of rain. However, I think I'm just growing tired of paying top dollar for two courses that can be in so-so condition.

Now that I don't live in the city I may never play Harborside again. Every time I go there it is expensive, slow, and just kind of a pain in the as.s. And like you said spotty conditions.

> @mci711 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @geochitown said:

> > > > Article in Crain's talks about country clubs biting the dust and general decline in rounds:

> > > > Joliet CC, Big Run, the famous on this thread Mill Creek, Calumet and a few others are mentioned...

> > > >

> > > > https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/more-private-golf-courses-biting-dust

> > > >

> > > > as has been mentioned, redevelopment of golf course land to residential or industrial warehouses.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Have shared before that McWethy and I have golfed together and had a beverage or two. When he asked why I didn't play Mistwood more I told him it was the cost. He said he was trying to find the price point for Mistwood and would raise price until rounds declined. Will be interesting to see if there is stability in the rates going forward.

> >

> > I've played Harborside once this season. Tyically at this point of the year I'd have played the courses a handful of times. Weather has certainly been a factor, as they're one of the first courses to go cart path only after any amount of rain. However, I think I'm just growing tired of paying top dollar for two courses that can be in so-so condition.

>

> Now that I don't live in the city I may never play Harborside again. Every time I go there it is expensive, slow, and just kind of a pain in the as.s. And like you said spotty conditions.

I guess I've been lucky in the past two years. I don't recall a really long round in some time. Early and late in the year I can generally fly around the course, but during peak season my rounds were in the 4:15 to 4:30 range, with a few at 4:00.

> @mci711 said:

> Are there any fun par 3 courses in the area? Preferably west

I always liked River Bend in Lisle. It felt like half an 18 hole course, and not your typical 9 hole. 'Tight with plenty of hazards.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I'm still in the process of checking off Chicagoland courses that I haven't got around to playing in the past umpeen years. At this point I'm pretty much down to the bottom of the barrel, or the courses that are far flung. 'Don't expect much, but I do get surprised at times.

>

> I still have to play Brae Loch, Palatine Hills, Edgebrook, Hickory Hills, Canal Shores, Tanna Farms, Turnberry, Green Garden (Blue), Woodruff, Inwwod, and Wedgewood in the local area.

Of the courses you mentioned, I only played PH and Wedgewood. There’s a pretty good chance you’ll be pleasantly surprised by these 2.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @mci711 said:

> Are there any fun par 3 courses in the area? Preferably west

Some good mentions...here’s a longer list, with my personal faves marked with *:

- True par 3 courses: *Links and Tees (Addison), *Zigfield Troy (Woodridge), Twin Lakes (one 200y par 4 hole...Westmont)

- Exec/short courses: *Green Meadows (Westmont), Western Acres, which may now be called Lombard GC (Lombard), *Flagg Creek (Countryside), *Boughton Ridge (Bolingbrook)

- Regulation 9-hole tracks (3200+ yds with par 3s, 4s, 5s): *Downers Grove GC (DG), *River Bend (Lisle), Meadowlark (Hinsdale), *Village Links 9-hole (Glen Ellyn)

Also, you can find driving ranges at Links and Tees, Zigfield, Flagg Creek (lighted), Downers Grove and Village Links.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I'm still in the process of checking off Chicagoland courses that I haven't got around to playing in the past umpeen years. At this point I'm pretty much down to the bottom of the barrel, or the courses that are far flung. 'Don't expect much, but I do get surprised at times.

>

> I still have to play Brae Loch, Palatine Hills, Edgebrook, Hickory Hills, Canal Shores, Tanna Farms, Turnberry, Green Garden (Blue), Woodruff, Inwwod, and Wedgewood in the local area.

Seems Tanna gets some decent love from many local guys, though it is a bit of a hike. Of the Joliet/Plainfield trio you mentioned, Wedgewood isn’t bad. Inwood and Woodruff are pretty short and not challenging at all.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > I'm still in the process of checking off Chicagoland courses that I haven't got around to playing in the past umpeen years. At this point I'm pretty much down to the bottom of the barrel, or the courses that are far flung. 'Don't expect much, but I do get surprised at times.

> >

> > I still have to play Brae Loch, Palatine Hills, Edgebrook, Hickory Hills, Canal Shores, Tanna Farms, Turnberry, Green Garden (Blue), Woodruff, Inwwod, and Wedgewood in the local area.

>

>

> Seems Tanna gets some decent love from many local guys, though it is a bit of a hike. Of the Joliet/Plainfield trio you mentioned, Wedgewood isn’t bad. Inwood and Woodruff are pretty short and not challenging at all.

@DB...need to put some Kevlar on related to the TF comment! Not sure you're going to find much love.

> @Argonne69 said:

I am shocked you haven't played Tanna Farms. I have a soft spot there, for some reason when my fiance and I started playing together a few of the first rounds were there. I think it is a fun place, a bit notorious on here. Conditions aren't very good and the layout is "unique"

Also thanks + @DeeBee30 and @DavePelz4 for the par 3 info.

• Like 1