2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

> @Argonne69 said:

> 'Nice morning at Ravisloe. The course is in very nice shape. The greens are a tad slow for my liking, though. Bunkers could use a little more sand. My group managed to get through 10 holes before the rain came, so we sat under a tree for 10 minutes before the showers passed. Of course it has to start raining again on the 18th teebox. We can't seem to catch a break this spring. The pace was decent at 4:10 with the rain delay. 'No real complaints.

>

> Decent day ballstriking with 8 fairways and 12 greens. 'Nice up and down from left of the green on the par 3 4th when I sank a 24 footer from the right fringe. No birdies on the day, and 3 bogies. Scrambling has been really bailing me out lately.

>

> First visit to Hickory Hills tomorrow. I expect to be underwhelmed.

>

>

Hickory Hills will meet your low expectations. Softest, spongiest greens I’ve ever played. Slower than Jackson Park. I haven’t played it in 10 years but, as I recall, It has a few decent holes and a lot of chain link fence separating tee boxes from greens. Play it once to cross it off your list. Despite the signs saying, “Make Hickory Hills Your New Home Course,” I can’t imagine you’ll return.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @dhartmann34 said:

> Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

> @dhartmann34 said:

> Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

Was going to play but it’s the same weekend as the Naperville Am and a few others. Poor scheduling by some popular tournaments this year.

Have you seen anything for the Lake County this year?

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* -  Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 65
Titleist TSR2 15* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Titleist TSR2 18* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

An adventurous day, we were hoping to get the rain out of here and get our round in at Whitetail but the course was not holding water well and they had closed it up for the day (it would have been nice to get some sort of phone call but whatever). We decided to venture up north and ended up at Phillips Park. Haven't played there since I was in high school, prior to the re-design. I was pretty impressed with the not so new but new to me layout, and even more impressed with the conditioning. I'm honestly getting sick of playing golf in wet conditions and with off and on rain. Other than my first round of the year I haven't played a single round that didn't have some rain fall on us. The plus is we once again had the course to ourselves. Driving was terrible but the course is short so being off the fairway wasn't death, I ended up with a 74 thanks to awful putting (3 3 putts from under 10 feet and I had several birdie putts at 5 feet or less than I couldn't convert). I'll go back again, it's a solid feel good course that you can go low on and build some confidence.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @2Tall4Golf said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

>

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

>

> Was going to play but it’s the same weekend as the Naperville Am and a few others. Poor scheduling by some popular tournaments this year.

>

> Have you seen anything for the Lake County this year?

I have not. They usually have it the last weekend of July and I"m always out of town. But nothing as of yet. Lake Bluff is probably just drying out now....

Outing at Old Oak on Friday.... Tee to green, the course is in good condition, but the greens had way too many unfixed ball marks. Our 12 under was surprisingly enough to get us into a playoff, which we won on the first hole (10th).

Glenview Park today. Got extremely lucky with the weather - little sprinkle here and there, but it looks like we missed most of the rain. Course is in excellent shape, with greens running true and just fast enough to keep you honest. The pin placement was definitely the course’s defense today - not one hole cut more than 3 paces from the edge. 3rd round in a row with no birdies and no doubles (or worse) - another boring 77. Made few putts that I probably shouldn’t have, but also missed way too many from inside 5’.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Oak Brook Lakes

hu3u8t3curs0.jpg

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

A very wet round at Hickory Hills. I was pleasantly surprised by the layout. It was much hillier than I expected. Large trees line most holes, and while a handful of holes are fairly generous off the tee, the majority are tight. It's a short 6000 yds from the tips, but accuracy is needed. Course conditions were meh at best. Cart path only with saturated fairways and greens. At least the rough had been cut recently, and most balls in the rough could be found. I believe I saw only one bunker, and it was trashed. The greens couldn't have been slower if you poured hot tar on them. I played through two groups in the first few holes, and then I had the course to myself, minus the coyote on the 17th. I finished in just over two hours, so I'm very happy that I didn't have to slog around the place for hours. I played a modified version of target golf where I tried to land the ball as close to the cart path as possible. Lol. Mission accomplished. Of course it had to start raining on the 18th teebox. I thought I had gotten lucky. Grrr.

Very good day ballstriking with 8 fairways and 11 greens. Scrambling was also very good. Two birdies and five bogies.

I agree that it's not a course that I'd be in a hurry to play again. However, given the cr-ppy weather, I think it was the perfect venue. $35 with cart for a two hour round on a Sunday with little walking from cart path to the fairway. I could have paid $110 to play Harborside, and I'd still be walking back to my cart on the 11th hole.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I forgot to mention a very funny incident that happened yesterday morning at Ravisloe. Our group was coming off the tee on the par 4 16th, and we came across a player from the group behind us who was playing the par 4 14th. How he managed to get a ball in the first cut on our hole is beyond me. The trees separating the holes are fairly tall and thick. As we pulled up he hit a terrific approach shot... into the par 3 15th green. He seemed pretty proud of himself until we informed him that he was firing at the wrong green. I don't think he had a shot at his green that was hidden from view behind the trees, so his play might have actually been his only choice.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I've played over 500 courses, and I don't believe I've actually seen hole numbers posted behind every green. It certainly makes locating the flag easier.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bug279et08zkc7d/20190616_085321s.jpg "")

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/t188hj956b5nzpl/20190616_091025s.jpg "")

• Like 1

> @VNutz said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > > @B-Man said:

> > > Local PTO fundraiser golf outing this Saturday afternoon at Royal Oak Brook. Definitely the King of the local courses just ahead of Fresh Ghettoes.

> > The greater LaGrange, Western Springs, Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, Westchester(?) area might have some of the best private courses in the state. Butler, Chicago Highlands, and Butterfield are all awesome. But my God are the nearby public courses pedestrian. Yeah, I suppose Oak Brook is the best of the bunch. Then umm...err...jeez...Woodridge? Carriage Greens? Flagg Creek?

>

> Very true, but I've thought about this a lot. It's still better than nothing, and that's exactly what you get once you go east from Oak Brook and Fresh Meadows. There's pretty much nothing between there and the city until you start hitting the Park District courses. Every time I think about this topic I loathe the loss of Timber Trails.

Timber Trails was one of the best layouts in the area. The topography of that place was fantastic. I am a member of a club very near there and it hurts every time I drive by that place and see it is like 1/4 developed. They closed it right before the housing crisis in like '08. The trees at that place were some of the biggest trees I have seen on any golf course ever. It's a damn shame they chose to develop it.

FFS. Long term forecast for this weekend, A shower and t-storm around. Showers and/or t-storms Wednesday through Friday.

Anybody interested in forming an indoor volleyball league? Bowling perhaps? Tired of this sh-t.

> @CRDuffy21 said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > > @ldchristopher said:

> > > > @B-Man said:

> > > > Local PTO fundraiser golf outing this Saturday afternoon at Royal Oak Brook. Definitely the King of the local courses just ahead of Fresh Ghettoes.

> > > The greater LaGrange, Western Springs, Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, Westchester(?) area might have some of the best private courses in the state. Butler, Chicago Highlands, and Butterfield are all awesome. But my God are the nearby public courses pedestrian. Yeah, I suppose Oak Brook is the best of the bunch. Then umm...err...jeez...Woodridge? Carriage Greens? Flagg Creek?

> >

> > Very true, but I've thought about this a lot. It's still better than nothing, and that's exactly what you get once you go east from Oak Brook and Fresh Meadows. There's pretty much nothing between there and the city until you start hitting the Park District courses. Every time I think about this topic I loathe the loss of Timber Trails.

>

> Timber Trails was one of the best layouts in the area. The topography of that place was fantastic. I am a member of a club very near there and it hurts every time I drive by that place and see it is like 1/4 developed. They closed it right before the housing crisis in like '08. The trees at that place were some of the biggest trees I have seen on any golf course ever. It's a **** shame they chose to develop it.

Agreed. A course like it would be a gem nowadays. A true shame they developed it, and last I recall the development still isn't finished. Oh well, the owner probably got their massive payday...

Took the kids out to Canal Shores last night for the 5 hole loop. First time I've been there, have been curious about the place for quite some time and figured the 5 holes would allow for the proper setting for the kids. It was a fun little place, definitely something I would likely do more often if I lived closer to the area, but certainly not without its quirks. They definitely are correct in the term neighborhood golf, as we encountered probably a half dozen people simply walking the course, and just as many walking dogs that weren't afraid of walking through play. And the 2 dudes camped out on 16 chipping a dozen balls or so that waved us up. Just one of those things that comes with the territory I suppose, and not a problem, but definitely wouldn't fly anywhere else.

Checked the radar Saturday and saw most of the rain was south of the Ill/Wisc border, so I made the drive up to Shepherd's Crook and wasn't disappointed. An entire round without even the threat of rain! Course was in great condition, greens were firm and smooth but not insanely fast. I think they've slowed them down a tad, which allows for more pinable options on many of the greens.

Pace was good overall, round in 3:40, but I played the first 7 holes in an hour and then hit the breaks on the back 9. What could've been!

While the weather held out all afternoon, I did have an interesting thing happen: no. 14, the long par 5 that points directly at the dump almost always plays into the wind (making it even tougher). As I was coming over the hill on the 13 fairway, the wind made a complete 180 and the temp dropped 10-15 degrees BY THE TIME I GOT TO THE 13TH GREEN!! Crazy. All of this meant the 14th was now downwind, a new experience for me. Actually parred it, lol.

On my way home from Southern WI, I played my first round at Balckstone yesterday. It’s always been on my radar, but Marengo isn’t really convenient. I Played the black/gold combo which was perfect. The course was reasonably dry, and the greens are great. Not the best course to walk, there’s a few long hikes: 8 green to 9 tee, 9 green to 10 tee, 12 to 13 and 15 to 16. I remember DP grumbling about a par 3, I’m guessing that would be 17? I thought the layout was fun, a few of the par 4’s on the back are challenging. I had breaking 80 in the bag, but hit my only bad drive of the day on 18. It lead to a double and 81.

• Like 2

> @jimwgt26 said:

> On my way home from Southern WI, I played my first round at Balckstone yesterday. It’s always been on my radar, but Marengo isn’t really convenient. I Played the black/gold combo which was perfect. The course was reasonably dry, and the greens are great. Not the best course to walk, there’s a few long hikes: 8 green to 9 tee, 9 green to 10 tee, 12 to 13 and 15 to 16. I remember DP grumbling about a par 3, I’m guessing that would be 17? I thought the layout was fun, a few of the par 4’s on the back are challenging. I had breaking 80 in the bag, but hit my only bad drive of the day on 18. It lead to a double and 81.

Glad you got to play there...one of the better courses in our area! My grumbling is on #5. You probably played it from 200-210ish. That green is so tiny for a par 3 of that length and I'm not sure I've ever seen it birdied and par on that hole is a great score. How were the bugs?

Eagle Ridge, Galena this weekend:

Friday AM - North

Friday PM - General

Saturday noon - South

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Lake Bluff Golf Club today and had a nice time. Was able to fly through and the regulars I met were super friendly (as were the staff). Course was in good shape (albeit a few soggy patches) and it was a fun track. I've been enjoying my tour of the "North Shore" courses (Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Lake Bluff). Are there any other courses in that general vicinity that I should play? Cheers.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @jimwgt26 said:

> > On my way home from Southern WI, I played my first round at Balckstone yesterday. It’s always been on my radar, but Marengo isn’t really convenient. I Played the black/gold combo which was perfect. The course was reasonably dry, and the greens are great. Not the best course to walk, there’s a few long hikes: 8 green to 9 tee, 9 green to 10 tee, 12 to 13 and 15 to 16. I remember DP grumbling about a par 3, I’m guessing that would be 17? I thought the layout was fun, a few of the par 4’s on the back are challenging. I had breaking 80 in the bag, but hit my only bad drive of the day on 18. It lead to a double and 81.

>

> Glad you got to play there...one of the better courses in our area! My grumbling is on #5. You probably played it from 200-210ish. That green is so tiny for a par 3 of that length and I'm not sure I've ever seen it birdied and par on that hole is a great score. How were the bugs?

That was the one hole I really thought was weird and out of place on the course. We did the combo tees also but I opted to play that one all the way back since I prefer to hit my hybrid over my long irons. I hit a pretty solid shot, it hit the green and took a hard bounce off of the green. My buddy played it from the gold tees and he also had the same issue. We both tried to run one up from that area and still couldn't work it out. I'm not sure what the key is to that hole, but it's poorly designed for sure and not receptive to the shots it seems to require to hit the green. That type of green design is the what I would expect on a 150 yard par 3, from 230 if you hit the green the design should try to keep the shot on the green or the fringe at best.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Dashfast said:

> Played Lake Bluff Golf Club today and had a nice time. Was able to fly through and the regulars I met were super friendly (as were the staff). Course was in good shape (albeit a few soggy patches) and it was a fun track. I've been enjoying my tour of the "North Shore" courses (Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Lake Bluff). Are there any other courses in that general vicinity that I should play? Cheers.

I've heard Bonnie Brook is interesting.

if you think a bit west, I'd recommend Pine Meadow and White Deer Run.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

and what about Deerpath in Lake Forest?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @MountainKing said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @jimwgt26 said:

> > > On my way home from Southern WI, I played my first round at Balckstone yesterday. It’s always been on my radar, but Marengo isn’t really convenient. I Played the black/gold combo which was perfect. The course was reasonably dry, and the greens are great. Not the best course to walk, there’s a few long hikes: 8 green to 9 tee, 9 green to 10 tee, 12 to 13 and 15 to 16. I remember DP grumbling about a par 3, I’m guessing that would be 17? I thought the layout was fun, a few of the par 4’s on the back are challenging. I had breaking 80 in the bag, but hit my only bad drive of the day on 18. It lead to a double and 81.

> >

> > Glad you got to play there...one of the better courses in our area! My grumbling is on #5. You probably played it from 200-210ish. That green is so tiny for a par 3 of that length and I'm not sure I've ever seen it birdied and par on that hole is a great score. How were the bugs?

>

> That was the one hole I really thought was weird and out of place on the course. We did the combo tees also but I opted to play that one all the way back since I prefer to hit my hybrid over my long irons. I hit a pretty solid shot, it hit the green and took a hard bounce off of the green. My buddy played it from the gold tees and he also had the same issue. We both tried to run one up from that area and still couldn't work it out. I'm not sure what the key is to that hole, but it's poorly designed for sure and not receptive to the shots it seems to require to hit the green. That type of green design is the what I would expect on a 150 yard par 3, from 230 if you hit the green the design should try to keep the shot on the green or the fringe at best.

>

>

>

>

Agree completely. I've gone to playing to the front edge and trying to make 3 that way. Of course, when I say front edge I mean the trees on the right or left.

> @geochitown said:

> and what about Deerpath in Lake Forest?

Deerpath stacks up with the others. 'Probably a notch or two down. There's also Winnetka, but I've never been a fan. Conditioning was always spotty, and like Highland Park GC, it has way too many overgrown trees that need trimming back.

Don't forget TPC Northbrook, aka Sportsman's CC, Bonnie Brook, and Midlane CC.

Dutch Country Day One: They sent us off the back at Cedar Chase which, after a 3 hour drive, was not a pretty sight. Holes 10-15 are insanely tight. 11 and 15 both have stretches where the fairways are less than 10 yards wide with gigantic evergreen trees on both sides. I birdied 13 but bogied 17 and 18. I lost it a bit on the back but managed a 76. The fairways were really rolling out and the greens were very smooth. All for $20.

Pilgrim's Run was great as always. It was very well-conditioned and firm. After we played through a group of guys on the third hole (seriously, just let the twosome behind go through on the first tee), we flew. I birdied 3 but followed that up with bogies on 4 (ugh) and 5. On the back I kind of lost my iron game towards the end and what looked like a 75 or 76 became a 78. It'll be nice not waking up before 3:00 AM tomorrow.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @geochitown said:

> > @Dashfast said:

> > Played Lake Bluff Golf Club today and had a nice time. Was able to fly through and the regulars I met were super friendly (as were the staff). Course was in good shape (albeit a few soggy patches) and it was a fun track. I've been enjoying my tour of the "North Shore" courses (Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Lake Bluff). Are there any other courses in that general vicinity that I should play? Cheers.

>

> I've heard Bonnie Brook is interesting.

> if you think a bit west, I'd recommend Pine Meadow and White Deer Run.

>

>

I second Bonnie Brook. I played it twice and thought it was a really nice track. Nothing spectacular, but a bit of elevation change and reasonable conditions. Comparable to Glencoe in my opinon. I would avoid Midlane, it is one of the most offensive courses I have played with a lot of random water hazards and weird holes. The rest of the north shore is good, but not great golf until you get up to Shepherds Crook at the border.

> @VNutz said:

> Took the kids out to Canal Shores last night for the 5 hole loop. First time I've been there, have been curious about the place for quite some time and figured the 5 holes would allow for the proper setting for the kids. It was a fun little place, definitely something I would likely do more often if I lived closer to the area, but certainly not without its quirks. They definitely are correct in the term neighborhood golf, as we encountered probably a half dozen people simply walking the course, and just as many walking dogs that weren't afraid of walking through play. And the 2 dudes camped out on 16 chipping a dozen balls or so that waved us up. Just one of those things that comes with the territory I suppose, and not a problem, but definitely wouldn't fly anywhere else.

you might want to check out the short nine hole course - Anetsberger, on Techny Road between Shermer and Waukegan, for similar outings with your family. longest hole is about 180, though most are shorter. free pitch and putt practice area. site is next to Techny Fields park. bring lunch and use the picnic area. really pretty grounds there.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry