2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

HoE Sunday but I cant indulge in the fine Angels Envy unfortunately...

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Getting out tomorrow for my first round of the year, gonna hit up White Pines with the wife. Perfect course for first round of the year, especially if you gotta pay for 2.

Gonna play Sunday morning as well, not sure where. Hawks game in the afternoon so time is an issue.

I'll be at Sportsman's at 9:33 am. There still one opening if you'd like to join.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'll be at Willowcrest, not my top choice but one of the guys in our foursome has to stay close to the area so it's the only choice.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Finally found my driving and iron game today with 10 or 14 fairways and 14 of 18 greens, including 8 of those 14 inside of 10 feet. Unfortunately the amazing putting I had the first 3 rounds this year left me and I made none of those birdie putts. Great day out there anyway, we got around in about 3:30 and the course was in good shape!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

This is more like it. What a great day to start the season. I was expecting cooler temps at Harborside, but it was downright warm. I may have to dig out the shorts tomorrow.

The Starboard course was in playable shape, but nothing to brag about. It was greener than expected. As noted above, the greens were aerated and sanded, so putting was more or less a formality. 'No way to keep the ball on its line. The fairways were slit, but playable. A bit wet, but not overly so. Bunkers are trash. I was told that they would start on the renovation of the bunkers last fall, but talking to the Pro Shop this morning we're looking at another year at least.

I was told they are going to aerate the Port course this week, so I'd recommend getting on it tomorrow if you're planning to play, otherwise it'll be a few weeks before the courses are in good condition.

Pace of player was slower than I'd prefer, but not totally unexpected at this early point in the season. Finished in 4:40.

Had a decent day ball striking, hitting 9 fairways and 10 greens. I had one birdie on #10 after knocking a 9 iron close, but otherwise no real legitimate birdie opportunities. I wasn't expecting much given the layoff over the past few months, so it was just nice to get out there and hit a number of decent shots.

Sportsman's tomorrow morning.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Another beautiful day on the course. Lol. Is it too early to complain about being too hot. I waled 18 at Sportsman's today. The course is greening up nicely, and they even filled a number of bunkers with fresh sand. Hello? Harborside? Are you listening? The fairways were in nice shape, but the greens were bumpy with moderate speeds. A handful of downhill putts were speedy, but otherwise it was a struggle to get the ball to the hole today.

Pace of play was decent at 4:15, although we did get off the tee 15 minutes behind schedule. The rangers were out enforce trying to keep the play moving.

I had a rather poor day ball striking, hitting only 5/13 fairways, and 8 greens. Afraid to go left, I blocked a number of well struck shots on the front before I finally got it in gear on the back. Luckily my scrambling saved my butt, and I took advantage of my 3 birdie opportunities, including one on the dreaded 17th. Overall, a very nice early season round.

Played George Dunne yesterday, it was busy to say the least, and the course was not prepared. No cart girls out, no rangers out, only serving hot dogs in the pro shop. One of the guys in our foursome cancelled at the last minute, so we got paired with a single who knows a lot of guys there. He said that the owners really cut back on staff for this season. The course itself was in OK shape. The greens were playing pretty quick, and were surprisingly hard, as even with my wedges I was getting a lot of roll out with my ball. Ended up shooting a 79 which wasn't bad considering it seemed like my group was waiting about 10-15 minutes between shots. I forgot why I didn't like playing on the weekends at Dunne, and this was a nice friendly reminder that if I go back, to prepare for a 5 1/2 to 6 hour round.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Village Links today. Finished at 11:40. Lots of fairways and greens. Greens were very rough. Not fun at all. Shot a ho-hum +1. 74 ;-)

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played shepherds crook. First round of the year for me. Don't know what I shot but it was good to get out and play.

The smell of the landfill felt remarkably strong today. Hate that wind off the lake.

Who knows when I'll play next. At this pace, probably after I drop my youngest off at college. 15 years to go.

Should I search for this thread or you think we will be on round 3 by then?

Wb

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Yeah, the greens are really firm. I had quite a few shots this weekend that I thought were golden, but the ball leaped off the back. 'Gotta keep that in mind for a few weeks.

Played shepherds crook. First round of the year for me. Don't know what I shot but it was good to get out and play.

The smell of the landfill felt remarkably strong today. Hate that wind off the lake.

Who knows when I'll play next. At this pace, probably after I drop my youngest off at college. 15 years to go.

Wb

Unfortunately, the smell is only going to get worse. They're expanding the landfill around the corner behind the 6th and 14th greens.

Getting out tomorrow for my first round of the year, gonna hit up White Pines with the wife. Perfect course for first round of the year, especially if you gotta pay for 2.

Gonna play Sunday morning as well, not sure where. Hawks game in the afternoon so time is an issue.

I'll be at Sportsman's at 9:33 am. There still one opening if you'd like to join.

Sorry Arg, just saw this today. Ended up skipping yesterday and taking my dog to the park instead.

Got out at White Pines Saturday which is fine for a first round of the year, but not much else. Figured I would play the tips since its only 6300, but its deceptive since its a par 70 and there are only 3 par5s. Lots of long par 4s and long par 3s, the course played much longer than 6300 especialy for someone who pokes it 200-210 off the tee. Shot a 92 and was very happy with it. Spent the whole round tinkering with the hybrid swing trying to remember how to do it properly. Started to figure it out a bit as the day went on. Ended up taking 26 hybrid shots in the round. Missed most of them left, only one to the right so at least the miss is consistent.

Only got to hit 4 iron shots all day, but hit them well. Chipping and putting were really good for this early, distance was an issue with chipping but ball striking was solid.

Shoulder and back were pretty sore later that night and yesterday.

I did try one driver yesterday and it went 10 yards further than my 3hybrid, but at least it was in fairway. No point to keep hitting it if I'm only getting 10 extra yards, but with more risk of bad shots.

Wb

Unfortunately, the smell is only going to get worse. They're expanding the landfill around the corner behind the 6th and 14th greens.

Guys, the Zion Township has instructed me to inform you that you need to cease and desist referring to the landfill as a landfill. According to the Zion Board of Tourism, the proper term is "the Bluffs of Zion".

Village Links today. Finished at 11:40. Lots of fairways and greens. Greens were very rough. Not fun at all. Shot a ho-hum +1. 74 ;-)

That's my home course. One of the best tracks/layouts in the Chicagoland area, one of the absolutely worst when it comes to maintenance. Between greens being trashed (how so many golfers have no idea about fixing ball marks is beyond me), watering all the wrong places, and the garbage bunker maintenance (I'm hoping they've put rakes in all of them by now), it's getting tough to get my non-resident friends to be willing to pony up and play out here.

WITB 2/3/16:
Driver - Golf club
3 & 5 Wood - Clubs
Irons - More Golf clubs
Wedges - Knives
Putter - wrench

You must keep score like me....

Yes. Always post the bad scores.

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

That's my home course. One of the best tracks/layouts in the Chicagoland area, one of the absolutely worst when it comes to maintenance. Between greens being trashed (how so many golfers have no idea about fixing ball marks is beyond me), watering all the wrong places, and the garbage bunker maintenance (I'm hoping they've put rakes in all of them by now), it's getting tough to get my non-resident friends to be willing to pony up and play out here.

It's been very disappointing since late last year. The greens have been horrendous. Some of the pin positions Sunday morning were insane. The 3rd was literally 8 feet off the center back edge. Crazy stuff. Hope it picks up soon.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Wb

Guys, the Zion Township has instructed me to inform you that you need to cease and desist referring to the landfill as a landfill. According to the Zion Board of Tourism, the proper term is "the Bluffs of Zion".

Whatever they are, they are smelling ripe.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Bowes Creek was in excellent shape yesterday. Still think Bowes is the best value in the Chicagoland area - layout, conditions, practice facilty and experience are hard to beat.

Have you played Highlands of Elgin? On a comparative basis, it's above BC imho.

It's a toss up. A few really weak holes at HofE. But a few spectator holes as well. Also, I'm a sucker for the member for the day experience. You can't go wrong with either course.

Bowes Creek was in excellent shape yesterday. Still think Bowes is the best value in the Chicagoland area - layout, conditions, practice facilty and experience are hard to beat.

It's a toss up. A few really weak holes at HofE. But a few spectator holes as well. Also, I'm a sucker for the member for the day experience. You can't go wrong with either course.

Intrigued...what holes are HoE are you not a fan of? Granted some are better than others but I can't think of a hole that strikes me as weak.

Love BC, but you could say that the whole front nine there is underwhelming compared to the back.

Also, I think its at least $20-$30 more expensive than HOE and there's no way its $20-$30 better than HOE.

Like I said, love BC but you can't call it the best value in the Chicago area when the real best value in the Chicago area is right around the corner.