2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Former SLDR users - what are you using now?

pitchinwedge

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour '16 M1 as low loft as I can get

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

SLDR > R15 > 915D2 > 917 D3 > M4

*SLDR is still the longest driver I have ever owned, just a bit too wild.

I have not seen anyone playing an SLDR in a couple of years --vanished!

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

• 2 weeks later...

My nephew needed a cheap left handed driver so I just picked him up a SLDR because that's what he wanted. Anything Taylormade or Callaway and he wants it.

I do. Never left the bag. I have always hit this club well.

Yep. I went SLDR > R15 > 2016 M1 > 2016 M2 and have just learned to embrace forgiveness over distance...

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Went Epic to 2017 M1 and hit them fine. M1 for the back half of last summer Epic on the front half. Had M1 in the bag till last week when I thought maybe the ol’ SLDR 430 would be more consistent for me left to right. Popped the head back on at the range and two dead straight ropes later with a sound and feel I had been missing left me week in the knees. Took her out on men’s day and it felt like home again. She’s chipped and beat to heck, but will not be leaving anytime soon.

Some things are hard to understand and this one I don’t care too. If using this thing is wrong I don’t wanna be right?

Went Epic to 2017 M1 and hit them fine. M1 for the back half of last summer Epic on the front half. Had M1 in the bag till last week when I thought maybe the ol’ SLDR 430 would be more consistent for me left to right. Popped the head back on at the range and two dead straight ropes later with a sound and feel I had been missing left me week in the knees. Took her out on men’s day and it felt like home again. She’s chipped and beat to heck, but will not be leaving anytime soon.

Some things are hard to understand and this one I don’t care too. If using this thing is wrong I don’t wanna be right?

That was beautiful. I actually got a tear in my eye

Just played the one I bought a few months ago again last week. Right up there with everything else and really not noticing the eratic behavior people mention. When I get back from vacation I may pick up a different shaft for it even though I'm a little heavy on quality drivers currently.

As reported earlier, my SLDR460 12* has been back in the bag for weeks now, with no Bobcat fix--just a proper fitting (+3 to the draw side; +1* loft; M-flex shaft). The fitting I got at Van's in 2014 was a joke! Anyway, it's kicked the SLDR-C out of the bag for now (that's now part of my 'visitors' set). The 460 launches lower than the C, even with the lite shaft and all that loft, but it's now a predictable 10 yard draw. And it's longer than anything else I have in the house. BTW, I'm 70yrs. old with @ 90mph swing speed.

As reported earlier, my SLDR460 12* has been back in the bag for weeks now, with no Bobcat fix--just a proper fitting (+3 to the draw side; +1* loft; M-flex shaft). The fitting I got at Van's in 2014 was a joke! Anyway, it's kicked the SLDR-C out of the bag for now (that's now part of my 'visitors' set). The 460 launches lower than the C, even with the lite shaft and all that loft, but it's now a predictable 10 yard draw. And it's longer than anything else I have in the house. BTW, I'm 70yrs. old with @ 90mph swing speed.

For the record, the (2) TM Drivers you are comparing are actually NOT COMPARABLE in terms of their LOFTS tucsonsean...Fact is,a 12* original SLDR = a 9.5* SLDR-C. (The clubheads may look very similar, to you, but in reality these are two completely different clubheads...The original SLDR requires a player to 'loft up' while the SLDR-C plays very true-to-loft.

Your 12* SLDR-C therefore has 'too much loft' for the trajectory you seem to want now. (It appears you just purchased the wrong SLDR-C loft). As I mentioned to you before, there is no need to 'loft up' a SLDR-C like one must do with an original SLDR Driver, especially someone using a 'Senior Flex' shaft, like you!.

However, that said, if you're now able to go back to your original (wife-gifted) 12* SLDR Driver thanks to a shaft change and a minor hosel loft adjustment, that's a very good outcome; especially if you're truly as satisfied with it as your post above seems to indicate!...It's great that you 'finally' found a way to make that 'wife gifted' 12* original SLDR Driver work for you!... :taunt:

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

What loft does everyone play a SLDR vs a M1 2016?

Trying to figure out where to try the M1

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 9.5 SLDR 460 as low as the adapter would take it and it had a ball flight just a bit higher than my '16 M1 in 8.5 as low as the adapter will take it (same shaft, 5 GoGo, and adapter in both heads)

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I had a 9.5 SLDR 460 as low as the adapter would take it and it had a ball flight just a bit higher than my '16 M1 in 8.5 as low as the adapter will take it (same shaft, 5 GoGo, and adapter in both heads)

Assuming the loft stamped on your SLDR is actually correct, then the odd loft discrepancy could be due to a RH shaft adapater installed in shaft being used in a LH SLDR Driver! In that case, you might very well be increasing the SLDR's loft rather than reducing it like you think you are doing....Better check that out!

If it's a genuine TM adapter, it will indicate whether it is a RH or LH adapter right on the adapter itself. However, if you have some Chinese (aftermarket) unmarked shaft adapter, then who knows which it is?

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Assuming the loft stamped on your SLDR is actually correct, then the odd loft discrepancy could be due to a RH shaft adapater in a LH SLDR Driver! In that case, you might very well be increasing the SLDR's loft rather than lowering it like you think you are doing....Better check it out! If it's a genuine TM adapter, it will indicate whether it is a RH or LH adapter right on the adapter itself. However, if you have some Chinese (aftermarket) shaft adapter, who knows?

Going back to what I already wrote.........it was the same adapter and shaft in both heads.

It is a stock, OEM LH adapter.

I find that a SLDR and the M1 are about a degree apart in performance personally

Seemore mFGP2 

SLDR to M2 to Rogue SZ

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X 
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18.0 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Raw SM8 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T with Black Onyx Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Inovai 8.0 Black Friday Murdered Out Edition 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

I have come full circle I left and tried several other drivers most recently 815 DBD and Epic Sub Zero. I had 2 or 3 bad driving rounds in a row and last round decided to pull the SLDR back out. It was like 2 old friends reuniting again. I was hitting straight flat bombs that were finding the fairway. My miss is a left miss and I had my SLDR hot melted a couple of years ago with all the hot melt placed in the toe. I don't remember how much they put in the head but head weight is 215 grams. With the SLDR it takes the left side out for me. If I put the sliding weight past 2 clicks from center towards the toe I will actually slice it which is not my miss at all. Time will tell how long it stays but I had one of my best driving rounds in about 2 years. I have the JDM SLDR 430 with a Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.3 and it just works. Next bad driving round with the SLDR i won't be so quick to pull it from the bag. In y opinion it the the best looking driver head I have ever owend. I'm glad I kept it as a backup. Sometimes I wonder why we keep changing clubs it does not help our scores. Playing next week we will see.

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

I just got a sldr 430 12 loft and I just keep it in the neutral setting. I am hitting flat slight fades all day. I love the sound this driver makes and I have not really messed with the sliding weights yet but will later on this week. I love the smaller head and do not see myself changing drivers anytime soon. Some have said this driver is hard to hit and can be wild at times but I am not having this problem. FOR ME at least a smaller driver head inspires confidence as I cannot get along with 460cc heads, I know its only 30cc but for some reason it makes a difference. The sldr kicked my reliable 983k out of the bag. If I can find another 12 head I am going to buy it asap

For the record, the (2) TM Drivers you are comparing are actually NOT COMPARABLE in terms of their LOFTS tucsonsean...Fact is, a 12* original SLDR = a 9.5* SLDR-C.

Your 12* SLDR-C therefore has 'too much loft' for the trajectory you seem to want now. (It appears you just purchased the wrong SLDR-C loft). As I mentioned to you before, there is no need to 'loft up' a SLDR-C like one must do with an original SLDR Driver, especially someone using a 'Senior Flex' shaft, like you!.

However, that said, if you're now able to go back to your original (wife-gifted) 12* SLDR Driver thanks to a shaft change and a minor hosel loft adjustment, that's a very good outcome; especially if you're truly as satisfied with it as your post above seems to indicate!...It's great that you 'finally' found a way to make that 'wife gifted' 12* original SLDR Driver work for you!... :taunt:

Good memory, Bobcat, and thanks for the good tidings. I get confused about this loft-business. I understood loft to be a physical property of the clubhead, so 12* is 12* is 12*. (Although Ping DID have that weird "effective loft" thing going back in the '80s with the TISI-Tec drivers.) BTW, I meant to say a predictable 10 FOOT (not yard) draw with the SLDR 460. At any rate, the SLDR-C is a fine driver, was a good suggestion, and a great stop-gap driver till I got the 460 sorted out. But I've missed one fairway in the last 42 attempts with the 460, so it's in the bag for now. If I had gotten a real, professional fitting when I bought it, it might never have come out. Maybe we should start a new thread for 460 returnees. :stink:

:golfer:

• 1 month later...

I just picked up another SLDR a tour issue 12* head and also picked up an Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 tour S. One range session and all I can say is wow. perfect blend of forgiveness and distance. While I was very happy with my 430 I could not pass up the deal on the head or the shaft. I bought the combo because I wanted to go back to a 3 and 5 wood combo and needed the shaft I was using in my 430 for my 3 wood again. I ended up finding the new shaft local and the head local. We all know first range sessions a like a one night stand with a hot chick. We shall see over the next couple of rounds. I am playing on Friday

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow