2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Former SLDR users - what are you using now?

pitchinwedge

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's deal with facts, not prejudice here Folks!..Seems some people here are convinced that the SLDR-C Driver can't possibly be that good, but of course, they are actually 100% clueless about that since they have never played it!. Don't believe biased misinformation here, just find out the truth for yourself! Many of these "clueless types" play competitive brands and can't get past the idea that a driver has to cost $400+ to be good! That's nonsense, but they cling to the idea because they paid those big bucks!

FACT: People often ditch the original SLDR Driver because it lacks the forgiveness they need to play their best golf. If you accept that fact, and perhaps experienced it yourself, then you also should realize it makes perfect sense to replace the original with a more forgiving Driver whether it is the SLDR-C or something else. Those who own the original model have already demonstrated they like the SLDR "look", so migrating to the SLDR-C Driver is a very smooth transition. Consider the benefits: You retain the powerful SLDR ball flight the SLDR is known for, plus the SLDR "look" that you like, while adding a ton of forgiveness! What could possibly make more sense than that? Isn't the real objective to achieve maximum distance AND consistency off the tee? I can assure you that is what I appreciate most about my SLDR-C Driver which easily replaced a 12* SLDR 430 Tour in my bag.

Bottom line: The SLDR-C is actually the most logical migration path for anyone still struggling with the non-forgiving original SLDR model, and that's true, despite some very hateful and clueless comments to the contrary! With a fitted premium shaft, the SLDR-C Driver is as good as it gets, and for me, the answer to the question posed by the OP in his TITLE POST which some people here seem to be oblivious to... :)

So what are YOU using now? Is there nothing you can contribute about YOUR SLDR REPLACEMENT?

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Ping G2.

Seriously.

A quick edit, the G2 is going to have to win a deathmatch with a J33R, hahahahahaha!!!!!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

So why is the SLDR C even called a SLDR if it doesn't have the SLDR. Seems like a made for Dicks and Academy version.

That seems like a very 'naive' post when you consider that none of the original SLDR Fairways, SLDR Rescue Hybrids, or SLDR 'S' Mini Drivers have a Slider. Nobody using those clubs seems to miss it or complain those clubs are not actually SLDR's, so your comment simply doesn't hold water!... :taunt:

Much of the same rationale can be applied to the M2 Driver which people seem to prefer over the 'double slider' M1 Driver now. With fewer adjustable features, it costs less while delivering the same distance and more forgiveness! Wow, what a great concept! Doesn't that also sound a bit familiar?.. :D

Furthermore, the M2's lost slider mechanism weight is now 'inside' the clubehead and more towards the rear for better sound and feel, just as with the SLDR-C Driver)... :good:

Best not to get 'hung up' over the SLDR 'name' when what really matters is the performance of the SLDR-C Driver!... :yes:

It's a fact that many of us don't need, or even want, adjustable features. I personally consider those features vastly overrated. For many people, such features as a slider mechanism actually do more harm than good by misplacing a lot of clubhead weight. I don't need, or want, the adjustable hosel mechanism either! (Same reason)... :swoon:

:golfer:

Com'on.... whether someone misses something from the past is not an argument. And the constant rationalizing?? So you like or maybe need a more forgiving head to play your best...fine. There are plenty of SLDR users that don't.

Never been one to repeat myself; but I happen to still like SLDR's heavier driver head, currently matched with slightly heavier shaft, and I am in mid-60's. Played with a junior (near 20yrs younger) this weekend that used one of those new lighter, non-adjustable head drivers. :) From 6800yd tees he out drove me most of the time by 10-30yrd, hooray. Some were pretty too; yet most were in ugly places making it easy to beat him on near every hole. LOL I was always in the fairway.

All the forgiveness possible in driver or iron heads will not overcome poor mechanics and strength. I agree with need or want adjustable hosels. Most people lack attention to detail, so hardly evaluated all options; which may or may not contribute to their game level. Best performance of any club comes when mechanics and physical conditioning are in play.

If it works don't fix it. Have a good day! :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Com'on.... whether someone misses something from the past is not an argument. And the constant rationalizing?? So you like or maybe need a more forgiving head to play your best...fine. There are plenty of SLDR users that don't.

Never been one to repeat myself; but I happen to still like SLDR's heavier driver head, currently matched with slightly heavier shaft, and I am in mid-60's. Played with a junior (near 20yrs younger) this weekend that used one of those new lighter, non-adjustable head drivers. :) From 6800yd tees he out drove me most of the time by 10-30yrd, hooray. Some were pretty too; yet most were in ugly places making it easy to beat him on near every hole. LOL I was always in the fairway.

All the forgiveness possible in driver or iron heads will not overcome poor mechanics and strength. I agree with need or want adjustable hosels. Most people lack attention to detail, so hardly evaluated all options; which may or may not contribute to their game level. Best performance of any club comes when mechanics and physical conditioning are in play.

Seems you completely missed the question posed by the OP in the title of this thread. That question is clearly addressed to FORMER SLDR USERS, (of the original models), rather than to currently satisfied users of those models, (like you). You can't answer the OP's question by suggesting a replacement, because you haven't seen any need to replace yours and that's a actually a good thing as far as I am concerned. Really no need for you to read and/or comment about potential original SLDR replacements others might be interested in, if indeed, such information is of no value or interest to you.

That said, I am indeed glad to learn that you are so completely satisfied with your original SLDR! I must say I enjoyed playing my former SLDR 430 Tour, but because it lacked forgiveness for ME, it was always an 85% of maximum swing speed driver when I used it. I was a bit reluctant to go 'all out' with it, so I switched to a driver that allows me to do that without any fear or hesitation whatsoever!.. :yes:...Obviously, YMMV.. :rolleyes: .

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

Seems you completely missed the question posed by the OP in the title of this thread. That question is clearly addressed to FORMER SLDR USERS, (of the original models), not currently satisfied users of those models, (like you). You can't answer the OP's question by suggesting a replacement, because you haven't seen any need to replace yours. There is no need for you to read and/or comment about potential original SLDR replacements others might be interested in, if such information is of no interest to you.

That said, I am glad you are completely satisfied with your original SLDR! I must say I enjoyed playing my former SLDR 430 Tour, but because it lacked forgiveness for ME, it was an 85% of max swing speed driver. I was a bit reluctant to go 'all out' with it, so I switched to a driver that allows me to do that without any fear or hesitation whatsoever!.. :yes:

So the original SLDR 460 wasn't forgiving enough for you, so you bought a 430 SLDR?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

So the original SLDR 460 wasn't forgiving enough for you, so you bought a 430 SLDR?

I didn't find either original SLDR very forgiving back in 2014, but of the two, I preferred the 430 Tour Head due to better ball flight and much better sound and feel. (The original SLDR Tour models also had some weight modifications that were advantageous compared to the Retail models). The 2015 SLDR-C Driver has improved my stats for both average distance and percentage of fairways hit, so I won't be going back to my original SLDR 430 model... :no2:...Those stats are the best way to measure your success with a driver!.. :yes:

If indeed you are a former SLDR user, perhaps you have something more to offer the thread as a recommended replacement as requested by the OP, but I will certainly understand if you cannot do that!..Finding the best driver/shaft combo for your game is sometimes a 'trial-and-error' process!... :wave:

Seems you completely missed the question posed by the OP in the title of this thread. That question is clearly addressed to FORMER SLDR USERS, (of the original models), rather than to currently satisfied users of those models, (like you). You can't answer the OP's question by suggesting a replacement, because you haven't seen any need to replace yours which is a good thing. Really no need for you to read and/or comment about potential original SLDR replacements others might be interested in, if indeed, such information is of no interest to you.

That said, I am indeed glad to learn that you are so completely satisfied with your original SLDR! I must say I enjoyed playing my former SLDR 430 Tour, but because it lacked forgiveness for ME, it was always an 85% of maximum swing speed driver when I used it. I was a bit reluctant to go 'all out' with it, so I switched to a driver that allows me to do that without any fear or hesitation whatsoever!.. :yes:...Obviously, YMMV.. :rolleyes: .

Great, a failed attempt at insulting my comprehension... :) And if all people posting here adhered to thread topic, it would be an internet first. Dare we look into your posting habits.

Having said that, I appreciate your subject matter understanding. However, regurgitating your failed success with SLDR is IMO bad press that nobody benefits from. I wasn't impressed with R15 or M1, or SLDR-C, yet kept my opinions to a minimum, choosing not to put it down because... Doesn't mean they wouldn't work for others. If I don't like how a given club works with my swing mechanics, that doesn't make it bad, unforgiving or worthy of public poo pooing like some people do on Golfwrx. Not all clubs fit my swing mechanics, and I am mature and skilled enough to acknowledge that. Course, I am not selling anything either.

Last, I have always swung my driver full out. Only those times when I go brain dead and attempt to steer it, consequently, slowing down a bit at impact, do I encounter less than desired results down range. I could holler its not forgiving, but chose to blame the real problem at that point, on the cause, me. Anyhow, have a good day... I am off to the gym.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Great, a failed attempt at insulting my comprehension... :) And if all people posting here adhered to thread topic, it would be an internet first. Dare we look into your posting habits.

Having said that, I appreciate your subject matter understanding. However, regurgitating your failed success with SLDR is IMO bad press that nobody benefits from. I wasn't impressed with R15 or M1, or SLDR-C, yet kept my opinions to a minimum, choosing not to put it down because... Doesn't mean they wouldn't work for others. If I don't like how a given club works with my swing mechanics, that doesn't make it bad, unforgiving or worthy of public poo pooing like some people do on Golfwrx. Not all clubs fit my swing mechanics, and I am mature and skilled enough to acknowledge that. Course, I am not selling anything either.

Last, I have always swung my driver full out. Only those times when I go brain dead and attempt to steer it, consequently, slowing down a bit at impact, do I encounter less than desired results down range. I could holler its not forgiving, but chose to blame the real problem at that point, on the cause, me. Anyhow, have a good day... I am off to the gym.

Pointing to the thread topic is never an insult, just a reminder that the thread's topic question was directed towards former SLDR users who have replaced that driver, rather than to those like you who are still using it, and apparently quite satisfied with it. There is no need to be 'thin-skinned' or get 'riled up' over nothing. So you missed the title or simply forgot what it was...just relax, it's not a big deal!.. :D

As previously stated above, I'm glad to hear you are now so satisfied with the original model, because I do recall that you were doing a good bit of 'tinkering' with it back in 2014. I was still using the original SLDR 430 at that time. Since you also mentioned my experience in your post, let me be very clear in saying I don't consider the original 430 a "failed success" as you put it, by any means. In fact, I had a lot of great rounds with it. As previously mentioned however, I simply found something I can go "all out" with due to added forgiveness which also has enabled me to improve my driving stats. Your decision to go for a 'gym workout' sounds like a good idea!. :)

Back to the topic now, which is Original SLDR User replacement drivers'.. :wave:

went back to the SLDR 430 and having some of my best driving past few weeks.

would like to try the m1 430 for sure.

Ping G400 LST 8.5° or G400 MAX 9.5°
TaylorMade 300 Mini 13° MiDr Proto 65
Mizuno 225 4-6 DG X100

Mizuno 221 7-PW DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 -50°

Titleist Vokey SM8 -54° 58°
Kingston Custom KP2 36"

went back to the SLDR 430 and having some of my best driving past few weeks.

would like to try the m1 430 for sure.

Always liked the smaller head of the 430. Reminds me of a katana vs a broadsword.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Well it finally happened I have not found anything to boot the SLDR out of the bag until last week I picked up a Callaway 815 Alpha Double Black Diamond with an Aldila Rogue Silver. It seems to be a little shorter maybe 10 yards but it is so much straighter. I hit my SLDR well but it was the 2 or 3 drives a round that killed my scores. I have played 2 rounds with the DBD and it has been incredible off the tee. I only had 1 penalty stroke off the tee with the driver and even that was dew on the ground with spikeless shoes that slipped causing a duck hook. The DBD I feel more confident off the tee than I have in a long time. Bye bye SLDR it has been a fun ride with some epic drives you have won me alot of long drive competitions at scrambles but our time has ended.

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

Hit the Alpha 816 this weekend and results are promising. Misses weren't as harsh as SLDR.

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

M2. Very forgiving and long but I miss the workability. So I will upgrade to the M1 430.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

So why is the SLDR C even called a SLDR if it doesn't have the SLDR. Seems like a made for Dicks and Academy version.

Pretty sure Sldr is an acronym for something and not a short for " slider" as all the weirdos say. So no the driver doesn't have a sliding weight. But since " slider" isn't part of the name anyway that doesn't matter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Pretty sure Sldr is an acronym for something and not a short for " slider" as all the weirdos say. So no the driver doesn't have a sliding weight. But since " slider" isn't part of the name anyway that doesn't matter

So what is the acronym for? I remember watching many golf channel shows at the time talking about the sliding weight of the SLIDER technology. I'm just saying, I can do the same thing with lead tape. Then your non adjustable SLDR can become adjustable.

So what is the acronym for? I remember watching many golf channel shows at the time talking about the sliding weight of the SLIDER technology. I'm just saying, I can do the same thing with lead tape. Then your non adjustable SLDR can become adjustable.

Never heard that term outside of the local Muni playing partners that I have at times... It's a made up thing. TM didn't market it as the " slider".

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Never heard that term outside of the local Muni playing partners that I have at times... It's a made up thing. TM didn't market it as the " slider".

As can be attested by the fairways, rescues and irons not have a sliding weight...

But facts aren't usually relevant in a good argument, so let's sit back and enjoy.

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant