Gary Player on Tiger

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we need Tiger back, but I disagree with Gary on a few things. One, I don't think anyone benefits from the rigid categorization of color with people. Tiger has even said he is just a person. Tiger is more Asian than he is black, so to align Tiger with literal Africans who have dark black skin is a stretch. He looks more like a tanned Caucasian golfer than he does a native African.

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665
816 Alpha 14* Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T-MB 3 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM6 Raw 50*F & 55*M, Low Bounce K 59*
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback

We've had a non-white world number 1 for like...17 years? Even when Tiger got displaced it was by Vijay Singh. What more does Player want? It isn't just about the faces anymore, it is about access.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='PinonMagnolia' timestamp='1437604999' post='12002450']
I agree that we need Tiger back, but I disagree with Gary on a few things. One, I don't think anyone benefits from the rigid categorization of color with people. Tiger has even said he is just a person. Tiger is more Asian than he is black, so to align Tiger with literal Africans who have dark black skin is a stretch. He looks more like a tanned Caucasian golfer than he does a native African.

[/quote]

You must have missed the original Tiger Woods ad campaign that made sure he was not marketed as just some guy, but a guy where clubs had refused to let him play their course due to the color of his skin.

[quote name='Brad Thor' timestamp='1437606611' post='12002570']

[/quote]

You must have missed the original Tiger Woods ad campaign that made sure he was not marketed as just some guy, but a guy where clubs had refused to let him play their course due to the color of his skin.
[/quote]

I didn't miss it, but I know that was two decades ago. I'd say Tiger has changed since then. I'd like to say we as people have reached beyond color in that period, but it is more than clear that we haven't with the news these days.

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665

For the record-

Jack Nicklaus won 2 majors in 1980 after turning 40, and the Masters after turning 46. Some writers thought Jack was "washed up" too.

Ben Hogan won those 3 consecutive majors in 1953, his 41st year.
Only Jack Fleck kept him from winning that 5th US Open in 1955-his 43rd year.

And Tom Watson was just under 8 feet from winning the 2009 British Open Championship, weeks before turning.. 60?.

Julius Boros won the PGA in his late 40s....

Great players do great things in their 40s.

Tiger turns 40 the last week of this year.

Gary Player is correct - "Time will tell.."

My only disagreement is with the notion that only a major champion is qualified to teach Tiger. Winning a major, or even several, does not necessarily make a teacher. If you got Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Trevino, the original TW together, they would each have their own ideas for the fix. That would be a fascinating conversation, but could end up with pistols at dawn.

[quote name='Redhill' timestamp='1437607884' post='12002688']
Gary Player seems to be afraid that history will not magnify his record enough and needs to be constantly reminded people of how great he was. He has become the supposity of all knowledge concerning his record and wants all to know it.

Usually I pay no attention to his comments and continue to do so.
[/quote]

Yet here you are in a thread titled 'Gary Player on Tiger'.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Normally I am not a Player fan. That said, he makes several valid points. Although he doesn't go into details, "Asia needs a man of color" or something to that effect. I'm guessing he us saying Tiger can be marketed as Asia due yo his mother.

His point about needing a champion as an instructor. Maybe a former champion can help his on course mental approach but most of the top instructors are not former players so I believe he is incorrect.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

At some point, all of this color stuff has to stop. We're all just humans, whether gay, brown, white, black, or however we choose to identify. Our country made huge strides this past month by allowing gay folks equal rights, we're moving forward. All of this white v. black stuff is just eroding progress we've made over the last 50 years in civil rights.
[/quote]

What did Gary say that would erode any progress that we have made in regards to civil rights?

Player is spot on with his comments. If one were to check the world news for different regions around the world, one would be surprised at the growth of the game at the grassroots level.

RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"

[quote name='Josh Powell' timestamp='1437609449' post='12002884']

At some point, all of this color stuff has to stop. We're all just humans, whether gay, brown, white, black, or however we choose to identify. Our country made huge strides this past month by allowing gay folks equal rights, we're moving forward. All of this white v. black stuff is just eroding progress we've made over the last 50 years in civil rights.
[/quote]

What did Gary say that would erode any progress that we have made in regards to civil rights?
[/quote]

He is continuing to perpetuate the idea of color differences. At some point we're going to need to say we're all equal and we all have opportunity. He is giving credence to the idea that there is an actual divide among people based upon the color of their skin.

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665

[quote name='PinonMagnolia' timestamp='1437609756' post='12002914']

[/quote]

[/quote]

He is continuing to perpetuate the idea of color differences. At some point we're going to need to say we're all equal and we all have opportunity. He is giving credence to the idea that there is an actual divide among people based upon the color of their skin.
[/quote]

He did not mention anything about racial equality or lack of it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is.

You can be dogmatic that there is not but that is not reality. There are layers of thought process, generational and geographic considerations.

Player is from South Africa. He innately understands the issues.

You take a guy like TW. He continues to breaks color barriers on the shoulders of those brave ones before him. He opens the doors to many conversations and ideas through his accomplishments.

Life is not a school book ; )

First, lets check Gary Player's record in South Africa. He is no bigot/racist. Spoke early and often on South African Civil Rights. Secondly, like him or not he does have one hell of a resume in golf history. No, no, no he;s not Tiger but how many are better. We had Jones and Hagen and Sarazen. Then we had Nelson, Snead and Hogan. Then it was Palmer, Nicklaus and Player and of course Watson and Trevino. So we had the Tiger era. Well, if no one has looked there are a lot of young, unafraid/intimidated, new kids on the block who will usher in another era.
Player is spot on. Time will tell but the tide will wait for no one.

[quote name='crazy8golfer' timestamp='1437616797' post='12003568']
Always amazed at why race has to discussed. May the best golfer win !
[/quote]

According to Gary,

"Go to Africa, where we've got all these young black kids used to seeing a white guy as the champion. Now they're getting inspired; they're sitting in front of their TV sets. It inspires them; it gets them interested in golf.

"Asia wants to see a man of color. So there are many reasons besides being so charismatic. I don't know if anybody in the world today can play like Tiger Woods did."

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You obviously haven't been paying attention. In the US there is still a divide in opportunity, not what it was 50 years ago but it's still there.

Also, Gary was talking about other countries, not the US, where there is still an even greater disparity.

[quote name='PinonMagnolia' timestamp='1437606739' post='12002590']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't miss it, but I know that was two decades ago. I'd say Tiger has changed since then. I'd like to say we as people have reached beyond color in that period, but it is more than clear that we haven't with the news these days.
[/quote]

The ads were Nike, Woods did not have this opinion he allowed his sponsor to exploit his race in a contradictory way of his personal beliefs.

[quote name='Brad Thor' timestamp='1437618774' post='12003772']
[quote name='PinonMagnolia' timestamp='1437606739' post='12002590']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The ads were Nike, Woods did not have this opinion he allowed his sponsor to exploit his race in a contradictory way of his personal beliefs.
[/quote]

So, he sacrificed his principles for money?