2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1441437313' post='12266800']I have a feeling the M1 will be another really expensive driver that flops when it comes out, TM needs to start to focus on performance rather than gimmicky innovation.[/quote]im not a fanboy, and only using the R15 b/c the hosel in my g30 cracked. But, I don't think performance is one area you can bash TM drivers.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its a chip, it'd have a significant weight... a practical way to have it in the driver would be to make it the weight (slider) in the driver and make it removal to enable charging/data tranfer. And it could/would be an optional weight that you don't have to buy. Sort of like an extra weight kit if you will

/speculation

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

It will have a micro processor and a peizeo electric plate that generates electricity from impact on center strikes to send a pulse width modulated signal up the shaft to an inductive transistor, with a 4g capacitor to amplify the signal to produce a very audible " MASHED POTATOES" thus the missing M. It's pretty obvious once you think about it. The TP version will switch between "MASHED POTATOES" & "BABA BOOEY" more of a "Tour experience". Should be pretty sweet.

[quote name='ohcanada17' timestamp='1441465427' post='12267654']Sure would be nice if topics were about the club... Rather than kids bitching back and forth at one another - that's what PM's are for.
[/quote]
I wouldn't try that threats and name calling is all you will get.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='ohcanada17' timestamp='1441465427' post='12267654']
Sure would be nice if topics were about the club... Rather than kids bitching back and forth at one another - that's what PM's are for.
[/quote]

100% agree. If people didn't bring up and discuss crazy off-the-wall rumors about this club in this thread, the bitching wouldn't happen. I mean, really - electronics? A microchip? A USB port? What planet are you from?

[quote name='BreakingPar' timestamp='1441466583' post='12267712']
If its a chip, it'd have a significant weight... a practical way to have it in the driver would be to make it the weight (slider) in the driver and make it removal to enable charging/data tranfer. And it could/would be an optional weight that you don't have to buy. Sort of like an extra weight kit if you will

/speculation
[/quote]

And that would still make it non-conforming. If the purpose of a clubhead part is to redistribute weight, then that may be its only purpose - it cannot have a dual role as a computer, battery, etc.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441472434' post='12268034']

And that would still make it non-conforming. If the purpose of a clubhead part is to redistribute weight, then that may be its only purpose - it cannot have a dual role as a computer, battery, etc.
[/quote]
Disclaimer: I don't think this is what they're doing.

That's why you have it as a removable part, like a weight. You put the smart weight on at the range or during casual rounds. Switch it out for a dumb weight during competition rounds.

[quote name='Wross' timestamp='1441476226' post='12268208']
Disclaimer: I don't think this is what they're doing.

That's why you have it as a removable part, like a weight. You put the smart weight on at the range or during casual rounds. Switch it out for a dumb weight during competition rounds.
[/quote]

That makes sense, but I agree with you that I don't think it's what TM is doing.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1441471490' post='12267966']
There is still nothing like a TM thread....
[/quote]

Fortunately.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1441463746' post='12267582']
[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1441437313' post='12266800']I have a feeling the M1 will be another really expensive driver that flops when it comes out, TM needs to start to focus on performance rather than gimmicky innovation.[/quote]im not a fanboy, and only using the R15 b/c the hosel in my g30 cracked. But, I don't think performance is one area you can bash TM drivers.
[/quote]Why can't a person give an honest opinion without it having to actually be bashing the brand. Honestly, is it cause he said it will flop? Or is it cause he called it gimmicky? None of which aren't really bashing.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

[quote name='Golfnut801' timestamp='1441484183' post='12268706']
[/quote]Why can't a person give an honest opinion without it having to actually be bashing the brand or equipment. Honestly, is it cause he said it will flop? Or is it cause he called it gimmicky? None of which aren't really bashing the driver or company.
[/quote]

TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

Worked in golf retail in the UK for a number of years, first major Taylormade Driver to really stand out Burner Bubble sold great, the next drivers that truly made a difference and were some what ground breaking were 300 series, R7 and R5, Burner Tour driver, R11 and for me SLDR all worked, everything else in between Burner bubble 2, R9, R11s, RBZ, Jetspeed, R15, Aeroburner I'm afraid all a bit gimmicky and pure money making, just my opinion, I think making good quality fixed hossel heads, using more ground breaking materials and great looking drivers at address is the way forward, start to simplify again, I hope� be nice all ha ha

On a whim I checked my TMAG account and my fitting heads are listed in the system. Ship dates start at 9/2 but nothing is in process yet.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='denzo79' timestamp='1441485042' post='12268776']
Worked in golf retail in the UK for a number of years, first major Taylormade Driver to really stand out Burner Bubble sold great, the next drivers that truly made a difference and were some what ground breaking were 300 series, R7 and R5, Burner Tour driver, R11 and for me SLDR all worked, everything else in between Burner bubble 2, R9, R11s, RBZ, Jetspeed, R15, Aeroburner I'm afraid all a bit gimmicky and pure money making, just my opinion, I think making good quality fixed hossel heads, using more ground breaking materials and great looking drivers at address is the way forward, start to simplify again, I hope� be nice all ha ha
[/quote]You are such a troll with your outrageous opinion.

I'm so kidding with you, lol.

TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

Man I'm a Ping guy and even the Taylormade Haters and trolls wear me out.

I actually think those photos look cool.

I won't be buying it because I am happy with my current gear, but I am intrigued by this one.

I'd be happier if I didnt hear rumors of a friggin computer chip in the head and the Microsoft stuff. A 500+ driver is enough. I'd have to buy all the extra stuff to track it, in addition to worrying about what a 110+ mph swing would do to a computer chip. I'd don't like the idea. Seems like too much...Hope it isnt true.

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1441437313' post='12266800']
I have a feeling the M1 will be another really expensive driver that flops when it comes out, TM needs to start to focus on performance rather than gimmicky innovation.
[/quote]

Oxymoron much? "gimmicky innovation"

kinda weird you say that since almost every company on the market is doing something in some form that Taylormade did before them...

New Bag in the making...

[/quote]Why can't a person give an honest opinion without it having to actually be bashing the brand. Honestly, is it cause he said it will flop? Or is it cause he called it gimmicky? None of which aren't really bashing.
[/quote]

Calling something gimmicky is pretty much bashing...Offered no reason why its gimmicky. If he simply doesn't like it, thats fine. Doesn't like TM, that's fine. But there needs to be a reason something is gimmicky by definition. Like "I feel the sliding weight doesn't really do anything and they are just there as a marketing ploy." It would be like describing the driver as "absurd." So non committal and really doesn't say anything...

New Bag in the making...

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1441494835' post='12269354']
[/quote]

Calling something gimmicky is pretty much bashing...Offered no reason why its gimmicky. If he simply doesn't like it, thats fine. Doesn't like TM, that's fine. But there needs to be a reason something is gimmicky by definition. Like "I feel the sliding weight doesn't really do anything and they are just there as a marketing ploy." It would be like describing the driver as "absurd." So non committal and really doesn't say anything...
[/quote]It goes either it seems. Just depends on how you look at it I guess.

TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

[/quote]

the RBZ fw was performance was pretty revaolutationary IMOP, first higher COR offering from the larger OEMs fw (sans tour exotics which had been doing it for a while granted with titanium vs the rbz carpenter steel)

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1441496408' post='12269460']
[/quote]

the RBZ fw was performance was pretty revaolutationary IMOP, first higher COR offering from the larger OEMs fw (sans tour exotics which had been doing it for a while granted with titanium vs the rbz carpenter steel)
[/quote]Rbz fairway woods is one of the best equipment Taylormade had ever released.

TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

[quote name='Golfnut801' timestamp='1441496642' post='12269478']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1441496408' post='12269460']
[/quote]

[/quote]Rbz fairway woods is one of the best equipment Taylormade had ever released.
[/quote]

Best fairway launch of all time.

New Bag in the making...

First off, I must say trolls or not this thread has been highly entertaining. The level of hatred many have for Taylormade is frankly hilarious. You wanna hate them because they come out with a $400 driver only to replace it 6 months later who doesnt do that now? Callaway is just as bad. Heres a thought if you know a new driver will be replaced 6 months later them don't pay retail. I cant remember the last time I paid retail or bought a driver when it was first released. Nothing really has come out that is demonstrably better than the previous year. Look at how many people still play the 910 drivers.

As for being "gimmicky" they all do it whether its the gravity core, Rocketballz, arc channel or whetever. Callaway stole the back sliding weight from Mizuno, Titleist stole Arc channel from Nike. They all stole moveable weight tech and adjustible shafts from Taylor Made.

Really the only tech Ive seen in last few years other than adjustible shafts thats really made a difference was the SLDR technology. Not the most forgiving but was actually longer than anything Ive hit. Consistently 10-20 yards longer than my 913. Ive always played Titleist drivers but tired of the high spin. Taylor Made drivers are not only longer but have a better feel.

As for the M1, I wondered when the SLDR came out why they wouldnt do a T shaped track. My guess is thats why they are using the carbon fiber to adjust for 2 weights. I dont think it willbe any longer than the R15 or SLDR.

Either way, if you hate TM because the price of your drivers drop 50% or more in 6 months then dont buy retail. Wait till it goes on 3balls or Globalgolf. The days of thinking some new driver will give me 20-30 yards are long gone unless I get in shape. Im a 4 handi and am OK with a 250 yard drive.

[quote name='ssfranny' timestamp='1441499734' post='12269690']
First off, I must say trolls or not this thread has been highly entertaining. The level of hatred many have for Taylormade is frankly hilarious. You wanna hate them because they come out with a $400 driver only to replace it 6 months later who doesnt do that now? Callaway is just as bad. Heres a thought if you know a new driver will be replaced 6 months later them don't pay retail. I cant remember the last time I paid retail or bought a driver when it was first released. Nothing really has come out that is demonstrably better than the previous year. Look at how many people still play the 910 drivers.

As for being "gimmicky" they all do it whether its the gravity core, Rocketballz, arc channel or whetever. Callaway stole the back sliding weight from Mizuno, Titleist stole Arc channel from Nike. They all stole moveable weight tech and adjustible shafts from Taylor Made.

Really the only tech Ive seen in last few years other than adjustible shafts thats really made a difference was the SLDR technology. Not the most forgiving but was actually longer than anything Ive hit. Consistently 10-20 yards longer than my 913. Ive always played Titleist drivers but tired of the high spin. Taylor Made drivers are not only longer but have a better feel.

As for the M1, I wondered when the SLDR came out why they wouldnt do a T shaped track. My guess is thats why they are using the carbon fiber to adjust for 2 weights. I dont think it willbe any longer than the R15 or SLDR.

Either way, if you hate TM because the price of your drivers drop 50% or more in 6 months then dont buy retail. Wait till it goes on 3balls or Globalgolf. The days of thinking some new driver will give me 20-30 yards are long gone unless I get in shape. Im a 4 handi and am OK with a 250 yard drive.
[/quote]

Stop it right now!!!! You and your common sense has no place here sir!!!

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441472434' post='12268034']
[quote name='ohcanada17' timestamp='1441465427' post='12267654']
Sure would be nice if topics were about the club... Rather than kids bitching back and forth at one another - that's what PM's are for.
[/quote]

100% agree. If people didn't bring up and discuss crazy off-the-wall rumors about this club in this thread, the bitching wouldn't happen. I mean, really - electronics? A microchip? A USB port? What planet are you from?

[quote name='BreakingPar' timestamp='1441466583' post='12267712']

/speculation
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, this is a golf forum- a place to have fun and talk about a game we all love. This is precisely the place to speculate and discuss rumors, specs, performance gains (or not), crazy as they may be. I'm fine with skepticism but your standoffishness isn't necessary.

Haha its not common sense its just 25 years and spending and losing many thousands on equipment to come to that realization.

I just think the people that hate TM that intensely are POed they lost money selling their SLDR or whatever they paid retail for. They really do make some of the better drivers out there and Im a Titleist homer.