2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

I'm not trying to hijack someone else's thread, but has anyone else tried putting both weights into the low spin setting. Since this is the official thread thought I would pose the question here. Someone else posted the topic but had no replies. I'd like to see some numbers if anyone had tried it.
I am playing mine at settings I never thought would work. I was playing a M1 8.5 460 with a Speeder Evo 757 TS in X and have both weights in the back track all the way back with the head in the highest setting on the sleeve. I don't sole the club so I set the face slightly open and this worked great. I didn't like the slightly boardy feel of the shaft so I started trying new shafts. I have now settled on the graphite design AD GP7X. With the same head settings and the GP shaft it is the best combo I have had in 15 years. I never thought those settings would work but I played around and it is perfect for me. I haven't hit the exact center of the club face and felt the shaft load with good dispersion this much possibly ever. In a former life(late 90's) I played D1 golf and then a little bit professionally so maybe I just don't remember those times that well but it is fun off the tee again. The only drawback is with both weights in the back track the club is louder.

Might as well be an M2....LOL

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to hijack someone else's thread, but has anyone else tried putting both weights into the low spin setting. Since this is the official thread thought I would pose the question here. Someone else posted the topic but had no replies. I'd like to see some numbers if anyone had tried it.
I am playing mine at settings I never thought would work. I was playing a M1 8.5 460 with a Speeder Evo 757 TS in X and have both weights in the back track all the way back with the head in the highest setting on the sleeve. I don't sole the club so I set the face slightly open and this worked great. I didn't like the slightly boardy feel of the shaft so I started trying new shafts. I have now settled on the graphite design AD GP7X. With the same head settings and the GP shaft it is the best combo I have had in 15 years. I never thought those settings would work but I played around and it is perfect for me. I haven't hit the exact center of the club face and felt the shaft load with good dispersion this much possibly ever. In a former life(late 90's) I played D1 golf and then a little bit professionally so maybe I just don't remember those times that well but it is fun off the tee again. The only drawback is with both weights in the back track the club is louder.

I already tried an M2. I didn't hit it as good.

Did anyone else discover that you needed to get quite a few shots to "open" up the M1 to it's potential? When I got fitted to the demo, it felt great, but it wasn't until today, after a little over 100 hits on it, did I get the same feel. Today, I was getting the performance I was getting from the demo.

According to the TM rep I worked with at my fitting on Monday, the M2 is more for someone who wants to work the ball, and doesn't have as much forgiveness, so that would make sense for you.

According to the TM rep I worked with at my fitting on Monday, the M2 is more for someone who wants to work the ball, and doesn't have as much forgiveness, so that would make sense for you.

If you say so but isn't the M2 marketed as the high MOI version of the 2?

I thought the M2 was more forgiving on misshits when compared to the M1. For me anyway.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I think the M2 is supposed to have a higher MOI, with more weight towards the back and more forgiveness. The M1 is supposed to be more "workable."

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

M1 430 10.5 1 tick lower with a Diamana W60 in horrible conditions (55 degrees with Swirling Winds up to 35mph) & I had my best driving day in years.

I don't know if it was the head or the Diamana W but these 2 components & my swing just clicked!!!

The M1 feels very very different from any of the previous gen TM Driver & the Diamana W reminds me of the Ahina with a slightly higher launch.....Pure PERFECTION for my swing type.

I typically play a 9.5 but the launch was perfect in with the 10.5 a tick low. I'm a believer in the M1, kudos to TM for really upping their game with this lineup of drivers.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Played my M1 for the first time yesterday. It was really surprising how low it launched the ball for me. 9.5 degree with the Aldila Rodue stiff. I hit some really long shots. Almost summer time distances with little to no role due to very wet conditions. When things dry up I think it's gonna have some very nice role! Though the most surprising to me was the muted sound the head had. I even had a couple older golfer make comments about how it sounds dead.

You do realize the Rogue Silver 70 is a VERY VERY Stout & low launching shaft.

Couple that with TM penchant for Tipping shafts 1" in Loft Sleeve & that would pretty much explain why your ball flight was lower than you expected.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

There seems to be mixed information about the draw bias of the M2 - some say it is draw biased, others that the sliding weight in the M1 provides more draw bias. Anyone can comment?

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

There seems to be mixed information about the draw bias of the M2 - some say it is draw biased, others that the sliding weight in the M1 provides more draw bias. Anyone can comment?

I have seen no draw bias in the M2 after three weeks of playing it....the M1 with 15 grams up front, seems to have more of a draw bias when set to that setting. I find more of a draw bias from the FCT than any head weights and both have the FCT.

Here for advice/suggestions/recommendations. I'll confess I have yet to get on the launch monitor with the M1. I've historically needed low/low combos with my drivers and came from an Adams Super LS paired with an Oban Kiyoshi Blk. With the M1 I didn't like the way the Rogue 70 stock shaft felt, for whatever reason I didn't really feel like I could load it. So, I put my Oban in it and it feels completely different than it did in the Adams. I appreciate that there are a number of variable that can be attributed to this (headweight, etc) but have you guys found that your "go to" shafts don't work as well with the M1. I switched to the M1 from the Adams primarily because I was ready for a change and I've typically gone to a fitter before pulling the trigger. Now I'm sorta in a position where I don't know which way to go. I can easily put the adams back in play but I'd really like to hear what you guys think I should possibly try shaft wise. Club head speed with the driver is consistently 108-110.

TM SIM 9 degree HZRDUS SMOKE GRN
Cobra F6 3w w/ Fuji Atmos
Titleist 910H 17* Kai'Li
Callaway Apex Forged w/ Shimada Tour
Titleist SM5 50, SM6 Brushed Copper 54, Wedgeworks 58 Low Bounce K Grind
Rife 2-Bar

Here for advice/suggestions/recommendations. I'll confess I have yet to get on the launch monitor with the M1. I've historically needed low/low combos with my drivers and came from an Adams Super LS paired with an Oban Kiyoshi Blk. With the M1 I didn't like the way the Rogue 70 stock shaft felt, for whatever reason I didn't really feel like I could load it. So, I put my Oban in it and it feels completely different than it did in the Adams. I appreciate that there are a number of variable that can be attributed to this (headweight, etc) but have you guys found that your "go to" shafts don't work as well with the M1. I switched to the M1 from the Adams primarily because I was ready for a change and I've typically gone to a fitter before pulling the trigger. Now I'm sorta in a position where I don't know which way to go. I can easily put the adams back in play but I'd really like to hear what you guys think I should possibly try shaft wise. Club head speed with the driver is consistently 108-110.

Try the Veylix Rome 688....great shaft

Played my M1 for the first time yesterday. It was really surprising how low it launched the ball for me. 9.5 degree with the Aldila Rodue stiff. I hit some really long shots. Almost summer time distances with little to no role due to very wet conditions. When things dry up I think it's gonna have some very nice role! Though the most surprising to me was the muted sound the head had. I even had a couple older golfer make comments about how it sounds dead.

You do realize the Rogue Silver 70 is a VERY VERY Stout & low launching shaft.

Couple that with TM penchant for Tipping shafts 1" in Loft Sleeve & that would pretty much explain why your ball flight was lower than you expected.

Yes I knew it would launch low, just still a bit surprised. Have played a few rounds since with much higher flight. This is the longest driver I have ever had. The best part is I'm hitting more fairways then ever along with it.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

All, don't be afraid to try a high spin shaft in the M1. I stock an older fujikura shaft with a low kick point and higher spin and I'm hitting it GREAT! Low spin head plus high spin shaft is letting me turn the ball over right to left and still yielding long drives.

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Anyone order with a Tour Blue?

I play the M1 driver with the tour blue x and the the M1 17 deg with a tour blue TX.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

Anyone order with a Tour Blue?

I play the M1 driver with the tour blue x and the the M1 17 deg with a tour blue TX.

How's the blue in the driver compared to some other options?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I really like the tour blue. It is a bit soft and I bounce between a TX flex and a X. Right now the X is in the driver and I have a TX in the 3 wood. I like shafts with a slightly softer tip and more launch, like the GD DI. With the mild winter I have been able to get out and test a bunch with really good results. I tend to go more for feel and accuracy over distance and this fits that for me, carry 260-270, 280 total in normal conditions. I play my drivers at 43.5 inches give or take. I am heading to the Kingdom at the end of the month so I will be curious what they fit me into. The 3 wood is where this shaft is best, can't beat the distance or the ball flight. Vaughn Taylor won Pebble with the Blue in a TX.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

I have a slightly higher swing speed with a medium tempo and I really have been liking the Rogue Black 70x. Reminds me of the Tour Ad Di6x. I tried the Rogue Silver 70x and I liked it as well. I also have an Tour Ad Mt6x and it doesn't feel as good and my dispersion has been worse. I haven't given up on it yet but if I keep hitting the Rogue better, I'll be swap the Mt6x for a Di6x.

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I have a slightly higher swing speed with a medium tempo and I really have been liking the Rogue Black 70x. Reminds me of the Tour Ad Di6x. I tried the Rogue Silver 70x and I liked it as well. I also have an Tour Ad Mt6x and it doesn't feel as good and my dispersion has been worse. I haven't given up on it yet but if I keep hitting the Rogue better, I'll be swap the Mt6x for a Di6x.

Agree that rogue black 70x is very similar to di6x. Went back to silver rogue TX. I have a rogue black 70x tipped 1.5 playing 44.5 in M1 just lying around thinking of putting on BST/eBay.

Agree that rogue black 70x is very similar to di6x. Went back to silver rogue TX. I have a rogue black 70x tipped 1.5 playing 44.5 in M1 just lying around thinking of putting on BST/eBay.

are you playing that in 70TX or 60TX? Have you played any Kiyoshi's with the M1?

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

are you playing that in 70TX or 60TX? Have you played any Kiyoshi's with the M1?

70 TX. I have not tried the kiyoshi. A guy in my regular 4 some has kiyoshi blue in M1. I'll try and get some feedback.

70 TX. I have not tried the kiyoshi. A guy in my regular 4 some has kiyoshi blue in M1. I'll try and get some feedback.

how would you compare the 70 TX to the Rogue Black 70x and Silver 70x? Is it boardier or does it still have the smooth kick? How do distance and dispersion compare?

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Lefty here.....got a 9.5* stiff fuji pro with a kuro kage silver tini regular (that works ) in the bullpen.....got a round tomorrow. ....more to come!

p.s. VERY EXCITED!

Ran back to golfsmith and got 10.5* .....put my kuro kage silver tini 60 regular in it........I normally carry a solid drive 210-215 (stop laughing)

Played with a good friend who carries his driver at least 20yds passed me.....Well at least 5 times today I was 5-10 passed him total with most in the air!

This has to be taylormade's best driver ever.....certainly not as long as I used to be (medical issues sapped my speed) but in the time of aging and limitations this is far and away the longest...

SLDR on the screws was long for me but lacked forgiveness

Jetspeed provided easy launch but spun like a top into the wind

R15 didn't consistently launch properly even lofted up

Aeroburner; never hit without stock option shaft but from others high launch mid spin

Believe it or not but M1 is reminiscent of the Original Razr fit.....only hit it with stock made for RIP'd NV but some great results!

In closing for now, it's truly a pleasure to hit this club.....sound/feel are spot on , confidence building flight, workable if necessary and this forgiving, repeatable high soaring trajectory that also boars through a heavy South Florida wind. YMMV

***UPDATE*** well 6 months later......nothing has changed....back to regular programming.

70TX silver 125 MSI tipped .5 playing at 44.5

vs

70X black 95 MSI tipped 1.5 playing at 44.5

No LM--own experiences based on range and 5-6 rounds with each.

Silver is tighter disp and just as smooth if not smoother (most surprising). I would say same launch and peak height. I don't notice a difference in distance.

110-115 SS...medium tempo. I don't feel over powered by rogue silver, the black isn't spinny at all.

No surprises here...Just my 2 cents.