Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

Just discovered this thread two days ago, in my two range sessions and one round it has seemed to fix my slight out to in swing. I believe I had an out to in because I was letting my shoulders get ahead of the club to try to create lag. I've been practicing this drill in my garage and it seems to have synced up my swing.

L to L is great for grooving a flippy release. Not a big fan of that drill.

It's not a flippy release if you release the club early. If you try to hold onto the release and flip it at the end (which is the opposite of what Mike teachers) then you will fail and create a terrible flip release. It is similar to Monte's no-turn/cast drill where you exaggerate the release early and it creates a proper timing.

Agreed. Used to use this drill years ago, light bulb went off when Malaska related it to the slap shot. Played hockey growing up and this drill gets me back in sync as I tend to overuse/fire the lower body too early at times.

Your slap shot analogy is a good way to feel it on the practice range. Split hands on the grip and it's easy to feel the hinge and rehinge without a flip.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

L to L is great for grooving a flippy release. Not a big fan of that drill.

It's not a flippy release if you release the club early. If you try to hold onto the release and flip it at the end (which is the opposite of what Mike teachers) then you will fail and create a terrible flip release. It is similar to Monte's no-turn/cast drill where you exaggerate the release early and it creates a proper timing.

Agreed. Used to use this drill years ago, light bulb went off when Malaska related it to the slap shot. Played hockey growing up and this drill gets me back in sync as I tend to overuse/fire the lower body too early at times.

Your slap shot analogy is a good way to feel it on the practice range. Split hands on the grip and it's easy to feel the hinge and rehinge without a flip.

For sure. Some think it is a flip If it is, don't tell this guy ;)

iron-byron.gif

Have any of ya'll had sustained success with this? Took it to the range and day one it felt great, was killing the ball. day two not so much, not sure if I was overdoing something or concentrating on the wrong things too much. But had my swing pretty jacked up today so deciding whether or not to just scrap it but that first range session was on point so I know there's something there. Any one else go up and down with this and ride it out?

Have any of ya'll had sustained success with this? Took it to the range and day one it felt great, was killing the ball. day two not so much, not sure if I was overdoing something or concentrating on the wrong things too much. But had my swing pretty jacked up today so deciding whether or not to just scrap it but that first range session was on point so I know there's something there. Any one else go up and down with this and ride it out?

I used this method my ball striking had improved light years more than it was. I have been battling a pull hook with my driver but that is entirely my fault. I love this new video where he shows what happens throughout the swing.

I lost it after a few sessions the first time I tried and realized it was mostly my hips coming up into the ball. Four months later I tried again and have played well my last 10 rounds or so. I have days where things are a bit off so I go back to his L-to-L drill or some type of movement related to that to tune things up. Misses are much smaller for me in general with his method as everything tends to be significantly straighter than before.

Little things can be off like his pushing away with the lower half, keeping the shoulders loose, and releasing the club early(handle in/clubhead out) vs. dragging the handle. If you make sure you aren't doing those major things wrong his method works even with less-than-perfect contact.

Got into his L to L swing along with his split grip drill and took it to the course and range today. Everything outside my driver was money. I know when I'm in the tee box I tense up with the driver. At the range I was putting em all left. As soon as I got on the tee box it was slice city. Not sure if I should ditch this just for the driver or try to work it out. Anyone struggle with the driver doing this ?

1. This isn't a swing, it's a small piece of the swing

2. If you don't get to a good position in the back swing or shallow in transition\early down swing, this isn't going to work for you

Carry on....

Wrong.

If you don't know this move shallowing will do no good. Shallowing without this move would result in right shoulder dropping and pushing the path out to the right.

You would be better off trying to steepen right from the top getting the club head working out and the hands working in than try to shallow with no concept of how to steepen late.

I've had tremendous success using this method. I've been playing for 2 years now and I'm already playing off 12 after starting with his method back in December. Went from 19 to 12 real fast. Broken 80 twice. Had a lot of trouble controlling my woods but apparently that was a setup mistake on my end.

His site is definitely the best source of information out there. 10$ / month is just 2 buckets of balls. I have to say it's money well spent. First month is free so give it a try.

I posted before on this, but I can't say how much Malaska's instruction makes sense. Handicap is currently at 5.1 and it should go in the 4's on the 15th based on my last couple of scores. To be honest, you probably don't need to sign up for the subscription on his site, because Malaska has given you the keys to the kingdom for free in his Youtube videos, but it is only $10 bucks a month and the first 30 days are free. If you are too cheap for that, check out the youtube videos that talk about the club pivoting, the L to L drill, the hockey drill,, and the drill that started this thread (the one with the steering wheel). Of course you need to know how to have a good grip, address the ball, etc. (basic fundamental stuff), but when I tell you this stuff is pure gold, trust me it is.

For example, my son just started playing (10 years old) and for the most part I have refrained from instruction and told him to just hit it hard.Started working in some of the key drills about a week ago and let him play from the red tees yesterday and he is already just shy of 180 yards off of the tee. Still working on alignment because he just wants to hit the ball as quickly as possible, but just trust me when I tell you Malaska has given you the full blueprint. None of that goofy, cryptic Tahata stuff (probably good stuff, I just don't know that it is ;-) LOL! At any rate, I focus purely on my right arm and I can't tell you how much more simple this game has become. No silly takeaway thoughts. No silly turn the shoulders. No silly bump the hips thought. None of that. Just a pure athletic move. Now if I could only putt! LOL!!

500dayway when you say you just focus on your right arm what exactly are you focusing on just curious. And the hockey drill is awesome. Right now my pre shot routine is the split grip to get the feel for a couple quick swings while also doin L to L then normal grip for a couple short swings and step over and let it rip. Also have hardly any swing thoughts outside of trying to make the L. Had a more successful session today with the driver by just trying to lengthen my swing.

Right arm for me means this. If I were throwing a ball (I am right handed), the only thing I think about is throwing the ball with my right arm. If I were skipping a stone. If I were karate chopping the $hit out of something. Hitting an opponent with a right hand Tyson punch. The only thought in my mind would be unleashing the dogs of war with my right arm. Every other body movement happens to support that movement because it is an athletic movement...and it is natural. Specifically as it relates to the hockey drill/split grip, I feel it in my right arm. Right elbow bends and then kapow!! Ball go far...and straight.

Right arm for me means this. If I were throwing a ball (I am right handed), the only thing I think about is throwing the ball with my right arm. If I were skipping a stone. If I were karate chopping the $hit out of something. Hitting an opponent with a right hand Tyson punch. The only thought in my mind would be unleashing the dogs of war with my right arm. Every other body movement happens to support that movement because it is an athletic movement...and it is natural. Specifically as it relates to the hockey drill/split grip, I feel it in my right arm. Right elbow bends and then kapow!! Ball go far...and straight.

THIS, for me too. Load the right elbow with the intention of extending through the ball. I counter the stuck move by trying to get the wrist pivot as close to my left hip socket as possible

It's curious. For me is all about left arm although I'm right handed. If I focus on my right I tend to overhook it. The right arm throwing motion is what Tony Luczak promotes, which is not very different of what Mike teaches. If you haven't, check him out, you might find some more useful info.

There is a 2 hour critical review of the Malaska Move on You-Tube by Jeff Mann (who is banned from this and many other forums for his opinions and criticism of others). I've seen the video a few times (it does require a lot of stamina) and its worth checking out if you know a few TGM terms and understand the driven double-pendulum model (and the law of the flail). For me , I'd rather try and support the left arm/club (using my right arm) and prevent it from dropping under plane rather than trying to create an OTT move (to counteract any toppling back of the club in the downswing), while still swinging from the inside.

I've seen this move or something quite similar many years ago via the video below which I think (imho) creates the same result but shows how to do a move (to square the clubface) with a simpler feel (although he didn't hit that ball very straight at the end). :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iwwQRIm0s

There is a 2 hour critical review of the Malaska Move on You-Tube by Jeff Mann (who is banned from this and many other forums for his opinions and criticism of others). I've seen the video a few times (it does require a lot of stamina) and its worth checking out if you know a few TGM terms and understand the driven double-pendulum model (and the law of the flail). For me , I'd rather try and support the left arm/club (using my right arm) and prevent it from dropping under plane rather than trying to create an OTT move (to counteract any toppling back of the club in the downswing), while still swinging from the inside.

I've seen this move or something quite similar many years ago via the video below which I think (imho) creates the same result but shows how to do a move (to square the clubface) with a simpler feel (although he didn't hit that ball very straight at the end). :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iwwQRIm0s

Well, it's close but not really. That bringing the club to the left thigh implies pulling the handle, quite the opposite of what Malaska advocates. As for the OTT move, Mike Malaska doesn't promote OTT in the least. It's a feeling to counteract gravity. All parameters in TrackMan will appear the same as a good swing, the video will appear the same, it's just a feeling that will lead you to direct momentum at the start of the backswing. No worries after that. The extension, wrist hinging, etc... happens on its own. If you let the body "go with the flow" and don't do any quirky moves, you'll be good to go.

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurments from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

CheethamTwistReleaseTwo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkSmqlWays

Now if Malaska means it feels like a twist starting at the top of the downswing, but in reality by the time 'that thought works itself into an action' where it actually twists by late impact , then that is another matter altogether. Then yes, it may match Cheetham's graphs above because it does take time for a thought to become an action.

I have been working on it since March and yes it has helped me a lot.

I've always swung too far in to out and suffered from shanks and blocks. I still hit blocks some, not nearly as much and I did go one week with the shanks while working on some pivot stuff (adding to the hands in, clubhead out), but overall I'm hitting it better than ever. The biggest change for me from a performance stand point is on nervous shots like first tee in front of a crowd, playing thru tee shots, tight holes, etc where your flaws are magnified I'm able to keep from blocking it, hitting it thin, heeling it because my hands and arms are not jumping out at the ball when pressured.

Credit where credit is due, I also gained a ton of help from EA Tischler and his "smash release" to stop hitting off the neck. I made a great stride after seeing him back in October. It could be that the blend of the two have turned me around. You can bring the hands in, but if the club head doesn't go out you're still leaving it open hitting blocks and wipes. EA's smashing release definitely got the clubhead moving out, but I didn't understand the concept of the hands staying in and how to keep them in when I saw him. When I saw EA last month he saw me doing the hands in move and did not object.

In search of solid contact...

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurments from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

Now if Malaska means it feels like a twist starting at the top of the downswing, but in reality by the time 'that thought works itself into an action' where it actually twists by late impact , then that is another matter altogether. Then yes, it may match Cheetham's graphs above because it does take time for a thought to become an action.

You don't twist the shaft at all. He advocates a feeling of bringing it outside to make sure it doesn't fall behind you. He talks about the swing being invisible, and damn right it is. Getting still pictures of a 115mph driver swing from Justin Rose (one that does the move Malaska advocates and one hell of a swing) is absolutely damaging to understanding how forces work. He talks about pivoting the club soon so the momentum can square the club face, and indeed it does.

He is misleading at times and there are key bits hidden within his website. I'm still struggling to put everything altogether but the concepts you have about what he advocates are mostly incorrect.

Jeffy spews way more than he actually says. Might be why he is banned everywhere. I would suggest you watch the whole video that you posted and rewrite your post. Malaska says that is a feel to get you to the correct position-which he demonstrates. He does not say the exaggerated move is what you do. It is a way to get you to make the correct move.

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurements from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

Jeffy spews way more than he actually says. Might be why he is banned everywhere. I would suggest you watch the whole video that you posted and rewrite your post. Malaska says that is a feel to get you to the correct position-which he demonstrates. He does not say the exaggerated move is what you do. It is a way to get you to make the correct move.

At 0.58 he has rotated the students left forearm in the early downswing , so doesn't that mean he's twisted (rotated) the club shaft? That twist doesn't show up in Phil Cheetham's graphs for 94 professional golfers, therefore I am assuming they don't do it. But if it works for some people and they start striking the ball consistently (ie, not just a temporary fix that works for a time then breaks down) , then that's great too.

Getting still pictures of a 115mph driver swing from Justin Rose (one that does the move Malaska advocates and one hell of a swing) is absolutely damaging to understanding how forces work. He talks about pivoting the club soon so the momentum can square the club face, and indeed it does.

He is misleading at times and there are key bits hidden within his website. I'm still struggling to put everything altogether but the concepts you have about what he advocates are mostly incorrect.

I'm not sure Justin Rose does the Malaska move (see the 2 videos below) , unless he's changed his swing again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlNd81XST6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P92-3TeXl8

It's a feel. It's a feel. This isnt hard. It's a feel.

So if we interviewed those 94 professional golfers (in Phil Cheethams studies) and asked them if they felt they were doing the Malaska Move ,that they would say yes? And if they said they didn't would you then say they were wrong? That they were actually doing the Malaska 'feel' move without knowing it?

Actually, it being just a feel is very confusing.

So he's saying it feels like turning left with a steering wheel, then demonstrates the isolated movement visually, then tells you don't actually do what you were visually demonstrated because it only "feels" like you're doing that but actually doing nothing like that?

This is the force or torque Malaska is talking about. It's not even remotely like being over the top it's the opposite of that.

When you shallow the shaft you let it drop behind your hands, when you steepen it you tipp the clubhead over the hands about half way down, then the pivot will go into more of a reactionary mode to keep it on plane. But it's really just an optical illusion because as your pushing the clubhead out the hands are working in creating an opposing force that's really not that easy to see from DTL video. But you can tell when good player does it by following their hand path.

It feels like how Graham McDowell looks in the picture, but it looks like the club stays right on plane on video.

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurements from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

At 0.58 he has rotated the students left forearm in the early downswing , so doesn't that mean he's twisted (rotated) the club shaft? That twist doesn't show up in Phil Cheetham's graphs for 94 professional golfers, therefore I am assuming they don't do it. But if it works for some people and they start striking the ball consistently (ie, not just a temporary fix that works for a time then breaks down) , then that's great too.

Did you watch the rest or just stop a minute in to say how wrong he is? Towards the end he shows what that "feel" will accomplish which is a perfectly standard swing. But if you learn better from graphs that's awesome for you.

So if we interviewed those 94 professional golfers (in Phil Cheethams studies) and asked them if they felt they were doing the Malaska Move ,that they would say yes? And if they said they didn't would you then say they were wrong? That they were actually doing the Malaska 'feel' move without knowing it?

Would your 94 guys feel like the weight of the clubhead is falling behind him like the issue this video is a fix for? Maybe your 94 guys and you don't have this problem. Or do you think all instruction should be worded in some way that applies to everyone somehow? Sounds impossible to me.