Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

It is. I've had 7 lessons so far and cannot recommend him enough.

How is your back doing? I had a couple of lessons but his swing methodology puts a lot of stress on my back. Had to quit after 3. His "keep the face squared as much as possible" promotes a hard twist of the body, specially the back.

Switched to Malaska and his swing theory looks better and way way efortless. Haven't lost any distance and I most definitely gained accuracy.

I think it's interesting how the feels that people use very often don't mirror what's happening in the swing.

I know a lot of people ask how what mike teaches fits with the gg swing stuff and thought I'd add this video which seems to be the best explanation yet of how they are both different ways of shallowing the club

In this video he explains which people might be better off with a Malaska/ Hardy RIT arm swing and which people more with a GG/Dahlquist body swing. Interesting view!

Malaska's system puts less strain on the back because he's using the tool.

For those interested, Mike's daughter, Ashley Moss (who I believe chimed in on this thread previously), has a nice instructional piece in Golf Digest this month.

Edit: Ashley's post is #94; link here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1240002-mike-malaska-getting-the-club-in-front-of-you-made-easy/page__st__90#entry12354486

Twisting and tourqueing can't be all that great on the back.

Absolutely right. Tell that to Jason Day. Dude is sinking his career at the speed of light. It's a pity because he had so much potential to be dominant (he definitely was last year) but his swing is killing his back.

His swing is not killing his back. His bad spine is killing his back.

Absolutely right. Tell that to Jason Day. Dude is sinking his career at the speed of light. It's a pity because he had so much potential to be dominant (he definitely was last year) but his swing is killing his back.

If you are saying his swing is not hurting then I don't know what is. He's had back problems in the past but he has done nothing to reduce the amount of stress he puts during his swing. He could swing way effortlessly but he doesn't seem to want. He goes all out every single swing and the type of swing he has (rotational that is) restricting his hips and that puts a lot of stress.

He could swing like Justin Rose but instead tries to murder the ball every single time. What was first, the hen or the egg?

If you are saying his swing is not hurting then I don't know what is. He's had back problems in the past but he has done nothing to reduce the amount of stress he puts during his swing. He could swing way effortlessly but he doesn't seem to want. He goes all out every single swing and the type of swing he has (rotational that is) restricting his hips and that puts a lot of stress.

He could swing like Justin Rose but instead tries to murder the ball every single time. What was first, the hen or the egg?

They are both in the top 15 in driving distance the last couple years. Both are swinging very hard.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

This topic has been chewed out: the pros all swing with all they have including Justin Rose. Some have a different sequence or path so it looks more smooth (couples, els) but they all swing all-out.

This topic has been chewed out: the pros all swing with all they have including Justin Rose. Some have a different sequence or path so it looks more smooth (couples, els) but they all swing all-out.

Let's take the "all out" out of the equation, I'd give you that. The type of swing he uses is rotational, restricting the hips, and that puts a lot of stress on his back. He's hurting, hasn't played 3 weeks in a row since last summer.

Has anyone else subscribed to his website. Also I was just wondering what people have seen in terms of distance. Does swinging without using the body rotation as much mean that swing speeds have lowered?

I've been subscribed since December 2016. I've been playing for 20 months. Already 11 hcp and already broken 80 on a 6,400 yard par 71 course. No distance loss and definitely increased accuracy. Great approach on short game (the putting section is specially eye opening), I think his swing technique is what suits me better and makes sense because physics.

He promotes going through the site little by litte (obviously) but I have to say some concepts are hidden within videos you won't expect. He's a great communicator but he repeats himself a bit too much and leaves concepts out that have major importance for understanding his philosophy and he most definitely doesn't cover them all that well.

He even has a section to ask him and he replies (he's replied to me twice) with a video explaining the swing, the flaw and a drill or idea.

I had a couple eureka moments and I've got to say it is money very well spent but I think he would have more success if he allowed us to send him videos. His concepts are not that easy to grasp.

EDIT: He doesn't talk about an arms only swing, he just promotes letting the body unwind with the momentum created by the club. No stress whatsoever on the back. I hit a lot of range balls and his method allows me to hit them without any stress.

If you need any help let me know. :)

I will say for my swing, I like the hands and arms getting down and the clubhead getting out. When i do the pivot first stuff, my hands seem to chase hard left through impact and i hit more spinny cuts with that method.. I do like more of pivot based inside of 100 yds though when i like my hands to move hard left. That has worked for me.. But i will admit, GG and his you tube and instagram stuff are addicting..

I will say for my swing, I like the hands and arms getting down and the clubhead getting out. When i do the pivot first stuff, my hands seem to chase hard left through impact and i hit more spinny cuts with that method.. I do like more of pivot based inside of 100 yds though when i like my hands to move hard left. That has worked for me.. But i will admit, GG and his you tube and instagram stuff are addicting..

I like pivot backswing arm downswing, if I think too much about my arms going back I forget to turn sometimes or get a bit flat with the shoulders.

I like pivot backswing arm downswing, if I think too much about my arms going back I forget to turn sometimes or get a bit flat with the shoulders.

I agree with that for sure. Big shoulder turn then let the hands drop and club head lead the way. But i know for some guys that thought would be disastrous!

Has anyone else subscribed to his website. Also I was just wondering what people have seen in terms of distance. Does swinging without using the body rotation as much mean that swing speeds have lowered?

I've been subscribed since December 2016. I've been playing for 20 months. Already 11 hcp and already broken 80 on a 6,400 yard par 71 course. No distance loss and definitely increased accuracy. Great approach on short game (the putting section is specially eye opening), I think his swing technique is what suits me better and makes sense because physics.

He promotes going through the site little by litte (obviously) but I have to say some concepts are hidden within videos you won't expect. He's a great communicator but he repeats himself a bit too much and leaves concepts out that have major importance for understanding his philosophy and he most definitely doesn't cover them all that well.

He even has a section to ask him and he replies (he's replied me twice) with a video explaining the swing, the flaw and a drill or idea.

I had a couple eureka moments and I've got to say it is money very well spent but I think he would have more success if he allowed us to send him videos. His concepts are not that easy to grasp.

EDIT: He doesn't talk about an arms only swing, he just promotes letting the body unwind with the momentum created by the club. No stress whatsoever on the back. I hit a lot of range balls and his method allows me to hit them without any stress.

Thanks.

I have signed up now as the the monthly cost is less than a trip to the range so it seemed a no brainer.

I have only started going through the M1 stuff but it seems to build a really good foundation. I hadn't realised how poor my clubface control was.

I've been playing a few years and didn't seem to be improving so I wanted something with more structure rather than jumping from one YouTube video to the next and this seems to fit the bill.

It was interesting when he talks about playing with three clubs. If I played that way I'd probably be able to drop my handicap more than I have in the past three years!

He even has a section to ask him and he replies (he's replied me twice) with a video explaining the swing, the flaw and a drill or idea.

Thanks.

I have signed up now as the the monthly cost is less than a trip to the range so it seemed a no brainer.

I have only started going through the M1 stuff but it seems to build a really good foundation. I hadn't realised how poor my clubface control was.

I've been playing a few years and didn't seem to be improving so I wanted something with more structure rather than jumping from one YouTube video to the next and this seems to fit the bill.

It was interesting when he talks about playing with three clubs. If I played that way I'd probably be able to drop my handicap more than I have in the past three years!

Yeah, 9€/month is nothing so it doesn't bother me at all. It's around 240 range balls here in Madrid so I'm better off hitting less balls but with a purpose. Hope it helps you. As I said, his philosophy and concepts are great, he just needs some more work on putting concepts where they should be. He uploads a lot of stuff weekly so if you struggle you'll probably find that one thing that helps you in no time.

Fairways and birdies.

Since the Malaska move is designed to feel the proper positioning of the golf club, does anyone use a slightly different feel to accomplish the "handle in, heel out?" I ask because I've experimented with trying to get my right elbow towards my bellybutton and using external rotation of the left elbow towards the left hip to accomplish the same general move. I'm just not sure if rotating the forearm too early is a good long-term idea. I've had pretty good success with it, but not quite a consistent feel.

• 1 month later...

I have read this thread and watched all the youtube video's by Mike , I was excited to go the range and hit a few balls but it was tough going.

I have struggled with an over the top move for as long as I can remember pulling balls left as a result.

With Mikes method I was just practicing the L drill from side to side turning the hands over like he does with the split hands drill. I shanked quite a few and started pushing shots and slicing the driver.

I guess it will take time to retrain my hands and shoulders how long has it taken others to improve and what have you found the best drills to use at home and on the range?

Thanks.

I have read this thread and watched all the youtube video's by Mike , I was excited to go the range and hit a few balls but it was tough going.

I have struggled with an over the top move for as long as I can remember pulling balls left as a result.

With Mikes method I was just practicing the L drill from side to side turning the hands over like he does with the split hands drill. I shanked quite a few and started pushing shots and slicing the driver.

I guess it will take time to retrain my hands and shoulders how long has it taken others to improve and what have you found the best drills to use at home and on the range?

Thanks.

You're not alone. I had the same experience. I've tried taking his L drill to "pivot positions" theory to the range MANY times and have not been able to get it to work. He's a great teacher, but I'm just not able to apply it alone at the range.

Thanks.

Had to dig this feeling out of the dirt myself:

I have mixed Malaska's hands in and club out with Monte's right elbow to belly button and gotten fantastic results. It feels like the left hand hits the left hip and turns the corner. But I have to have an opposite reaction, hence the elbow chasing under. Stripe it for days....

My view -

Mike's move regarding the downswing pivot (and letting the weight of the club get in front) is definitely a subtle one. In isolation with just arms, it looks like a recipe for disaster unless it is combined with the rotation of the rest of the body especially the correct hip move. His "live lesson with Giulia Sergas video" (indoor video) around 2:45 mark shows a nice progression of what he is talking about as he makes increasingly longer swings describing what he is trying to do.

Similar to levi_munson who commented above, I have combined this with some of Monte's teaching. For me it was Monte's left arm off the chest idea plus Mike's downswing pivot which enabled me to get the handle down/heel out motion that I was looking for while getting the arms and hands in the right place. It helped me free up my motion, increase speed and improve contact. When I do it right, it feels like I am not even swinging but turns out great; of course as a high-capper, I tend to lose it several times a round but seems to be heading in the right direction.

YMMV, but worked for me.

L to L is great for grooving a flippy release. Not a big fan of that drill.

It's not a flippy release if you release the club early. If you try to hold onto the release and flip it at the end (which is the opposite of what Mike teachers) then you will fail and create a terrible flip release. It is similar to Monte's no-turn/cast drill where you exaggerate the release early and it creates a proper timing.

L to L is great for grooving a flippy release. Not a big fan of that drill.

It's not a flippy release if you release the club early. If you try to hold onto the release and flip it at the end (which is the opposite of what Mike teachers) then you will fail and create a terrible flip release. It is similar to Monte's no-turn/cast drill where you exaggerate the release early and it creates a proper timing.

Agreed. Used to use this drill years ago, light bulb went off when Malaska related it to the slap shot. Played hockey growing up and this drill gets me back in sync as I tend to overuse/fire the lower body too early at times.