2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where do you get your Scotty Cameron 009 for a good price?

Highstinger

[quote name='PutterHo' timestamp='1443480319' post='12380676']
[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1443477427' post='12380414']
There is one way to get a cheap 009 and that is going to a tour event that Cameron Tringale or Blayne Barber is playing in and steal theirs. Once you get caught though there is always the chance that your lawyer fees are more expensive than just ponying up the cash to buy one in the first place. :cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]That would be tough since Blayne only rolls Golos, circas, and a Newport II while Cam's is technically a Newport. Just joshin with ya AZsouthpaw!!! ;)
[/quote]
Ok scratch that plan. Just find their addresses and break in to their homes. There are bound to be some 009's there.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1443446280' post='12377502']
[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1443417158' post='12376802']
A few years back they were $1000 on eBay. The cycle may just come again, might be worth the wait.
[/quote]

I don't claim to be able to predict the future, but I just don't see that happening again. A "few years back" when you could get used 009's on eBay in the 1000.00-1500.00 range, they were selling for quite a bit less brand new then too. You could also order a 009 through one of several distributors back then, so access to them was a bit easier making them less rare. Today, the initial retail price of 009's has gone up (and are set to go up again after the 1st of the year according to rumors), there are less distributors selling 009's then a few years ago, and you can no longer order a specific 009 through a distributor. Basically, you can accept to buy whatever a distributor happens to get in stock, or pass on it. This is making the older, nicely stamped 009's go up in value. There is also the "Spieth factor". His success has probably given the 009's a little bit of a bump, and with him being so young I don't see that changing anytime soon - unless Nike comes along and buy's him (which I honestly don't see).
The only thing that I can think of that may change the price a bit is if we, as a country, experience another slow down in our overall economy (not just putters) - which could definitely happen. Weak presidential leadership, liberal economic policies, a chaotic middle east, another terrorist attack on our soil, etc......could all lead to an economic downturn. But if that happens, I think most people with Tour putters will ride things out versus selling one of their 3500.00-4000.00 009's for 1000.00 bucks. JMHO.
[/quote]

Depending on one's desire to own one, patience, and willingness to settle on a less busy head, never can tell.

All signs point to prices continuing to rise with the tightly controlled market but stranger things have happened.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1443572037' post='12387246']
I play a SC, but have never understood why people pay $2500+ for a putter that has 009 stamped on it. It is pretty much just another SC with a big price tag.
[/quote]

because they can

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

I've bought 3 and sold 2 009's in the last 8 months. I paid $1,600 for the first, $1,800 for the 2nd and 2k for the third. All 3 330g carbon steel heads. I finally got what I wanted.
The good deals are out there, you just have to be patient, and have the $ READY to swoop in and pick one up when they come available :)

Titleist 915D2 PX Hzrdous Yellow 63G Stiff
Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
712 CB/MB PX 6.0 (4-PW)
Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1443748372' post='12398418']
Fantastic insight, rather obvious that they can! The question is what makes this putter so special, it just looks like any other but has 009 stamped on it.
[/quote]

There are quite a few things that go in to it, and it's different for everybody. The 009 head shape is only available on tour putters for Scotty Cameron. They are also all hand stamp'd. They also have stamps that are only available on tour putter. Rarity is a reason the price is up so high. With that said they also fluctuate just like stock on the market would, but generally hold their value or appreciate as time goes on. Most OTR putters do not (not all). These are a few reasons, but not all. Everyone who has them has their own reasons for purchasing. Good thing nobody is making you buy one though!

[quote name='TommyOC' timestamp='1443797419' post='12400296']
[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1443748372' post='12398418']
Fantastic insight, rather obvious that they can! The question is what makes this putter so special, it just looks like any other but has 009 stamped on it.
[/quote]

There are quite a few things that go in to it, and it's different for everybody. The 009 head shape is only available on tour putters for Scotty Cameron. They are also all hand stamp'd. They also have stamps that are only available on tour putter. Rarity is a reason the price is up so high. With that said they also fluctuate just like stock on the market would, but generally hold their value or appreciate as time goes on. Most OTR putters do not (not all). These are a few reasons, but not all. Everyone who has them has their own reasons for purchasing. Good thing nobody is making you buy one though!
[/quote]

The hand stamped aspect of 009's has me asking; Does Cameron stamp them personally, weld the necks personally? These things, if done by Cameron, adds tremendous value, done by his workers... not so much to me.

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1443492415' post='12381780']
[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1443471429' post='12379902']
[quote name='Graymulligan' timestamp='1443465587' post='12379308']
There's a guy in Australia that'll make you what you anything you want for half the prices going for 009's.

I don't understand the fascination with a different brand name on a well milled piece of carbon on a stick. Look into Byron, Lajosi, or many others. It'll putt exactly the same, and you'll save a ton of cash. Plus, you won't have the same "not off the rack, but looks exactly like every other" 009.

Just my .02.
[/quote]

Totally second this. I would rather have a custom made one off for me than any 009 for a fraction of the cost.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with going this route either.
I've owned 3 Lajosi's and Kari makes quality stuff.
Same with Byron's DH89 and MannKraft MA/66 (which has been in my bag most of the summer).
All high quality putters..........................but an 009 is a 009.

It's like saying you may as well drive a Jetta over a BMW M5.
Both high quality, fun to drive German vehicles, and both will get you where you need to go.............................but an M5 is an M5.
[/quote]

I drove a Jetta diesel for years. Even when totally run down it always scored top marks on emissions tests. Great car.

It looks every Cameron subject bring the haters and the apologists fight.

Somebody started the forum with the question "where do you get your Scotty 009 for a good price?"

I guess nobody has to question the income of the buyers and make extra suggestions like going to another brand. For some people, a Byron or Machine is expensive too, but I see no one suggesting going to Walmart to buy a $15 lookalike.

I'd recommend other comments go to the forums dedicated to it.

And by the way, the best question would be, what is the OP good price, as suggested by Arizonalefty?

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='WolfWRX' timestamp='1443819659' post='12402222']
[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1443492415' post='12381780']
[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1443471429' post='12379902']
[quote name='Graymulligan' timestamp='1443465587' post='12379308']
There's a guy in Australia that'll make you what you anything you want for half the prices going for 009's.

I don't understand the fascination with a different brand name on a well milled piece of carbon on a stick. Look into Byron, Lajosi, or many others. It'll putt exactly the same, and you'll save a ton of cash. Plus, you won't have the same "not off the rack, but looks exactly like every other" 009.

Just my .02.
[/quote]

Totally second this. I would rather have a custom made one off for me than any 009 for a fraction of the cost.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with going this route either.
I've owned 3 Lajosi's and Kari makes quality stuff.
Same with Byron's DH89 and MannKraft MA/66 (which has been in my bag most of the summer).
All high quality putters..........................but an 009 is a 009.

It's like saying you may as well drive a Jetta over a BMW M5.
Both high quality, fun to drive German vehicles, and both will get you where you need to go.............................but an M5 is an M5.
[/quote]

I drove a Jetta diesel for years. Even when totally run down it always scored top marks on emissions tests. Great car.
[/quote]

As I said in my post..............a Jetta is a high quality, fun to drive vehicle.
Now, go buy an M5 and see what you think.

[quote name='TommyOC' timestamp='1443571147' post='12387156']
[quote name='BogeyDog11' timestamp='1443570688' post='12387096']
A few years back they were $1000 on eBay. The cycle may just come again, might be worth the wait.
[/quote]

I don't claim to be able to predict the future, but I just don't see that happening again. A "few years back" when you could get used 009's on eBay in the 1000.00-1500.00 range, they were selling for quite a bit less brand new then too. You could also order a 009 through one of several distributors back then, so access to them was a bit easier making them less rare. Today, the initial retail price of 009's has gone up (and are set to go up again after the 1st of the year according to rumors), there are less distributors selling 009's then a few years ago, and you can no longer order a specific 009 through a distributor. Basically, you can accept to buy whatever a distributor happens to get in stock, or pass on it. This is making the older, nicely stamped 009's go up in value. There is also the "Spieth factor". His success has probably given the 009's a little bit of a bump, and with him being so young I don't see that changing anytime soon - unless Nike comes along and buy's him (which I honestly don't see).
The only thing that I can think of that may change the price a bit is if we, as a country, experience another slow down in our overall economy (not just putters) - which could definitely happen. Weak presidential leadership, liberal economic policies, a chaotic middle east, another terrorist attack on our soil, etc......could all lead to an economic downturn. But if that happens, I think most people with Tour putters will ride things out versus selling one of their 3500.00-4000.00 009's for 1000.00 bucks. JMHO.
[/quote]

Flood the market and the price will dive at some point. The market is flooded/flooding...........

Buy a Newport and send it to Slighter. There is nothing he won't do to a Cameron for a buck.
[/quote]

What makes you say that? If you are a member on TCC you would notice the BST section for tour putters has gone to 2 full pages of for sale ads down to about 10 putters at most. Granted, TCC is a very small fraction, but you also have less than one page of 009's on ebay as well. There might be a few more putters like Tour Rats that are readily available, but I don't see any sort of "flooding" with 009s, timeless, or other hand stamped type tour putters.

In addition to the distributors being gone, save for 2, and only the addition of the gallery, I thinks contributes to quite the opposite. JMHO
[/quote]

I think what he meant was that 009 isn't becoming scarce or rare. They are still making them therefore the market is getting albeit maybe slowly , flooded. Now when production ceases and they all get snatched up you can say they are hard to find. When there are several pages On eBay dedicated to one putter model at any given time , you can't really call them rare or hard to find . But I will say the supply has not outweighed the demand. Yet. But it will at some point and prices for plain 009 will level off or drop then.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

When WVU comes forward with test results that show the 009 in fact is a terrible putter design machine stamped in Pakistan by child labor and the entire thing is a coverup from the top down, they'll be dirt cheap.

Probably be included free with every new VW diesel purchase.

I'll be lining up for 8 of them.

For the time being, they're a novelty "look at me" putter at their worst, and a very expensive Anser recreation at their best. More of a piece of 'art' "made by" supposedly Scotty Cameron his self than much else, really.

Sounds more harsh than intended, but whatevs.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

The responses about the 330g ones are quite spot on. If you find an older carbon one, they can be had for 1500-2000, but that's about as good as it gets! There used to be time when you could get a decently gamed 350g head with some dings and character for 1800, but the shape in the last 3 years has gotten sooooo popular. Truly a lovely shape, just not worth the money in my mind. I have friends who have them. I'm a Scotty enthusiast and the more I think about it the harder it is to justify over a pro platinum mil spec

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1443931015' post='12407552']
[quote name='TommyOC' timestamp='1443571147' post='12387156']
[quote name='BogeyDog11' timestamp='1443570688' post='12387096']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Flood the market and the price will dive at some point. The market is flooded/flooding...........

Buy a Newport and send it to Slighter. There is nothing he won't do to a Cameron for a buck.
[/quote]

What makes you say that? If you are a member on TCC you would notice the BST section for tour putters has gone to 2 full pages of for sale ads down to about 10 putters at most. Granted, TCC is a very small fraction, but you also have less than one page of 009's on ebay as well. There might be a few more putters like Tour Rats that are readily available, but I don't see any sort of "flooding" with 009s, timeless, or other hand stamped type tour putters.

In addition to the distributors being gone, save for 2, and only the addition of the gallery, I thinks contributes to quite the opposite. JMHO
[/quote]

I think what he meant was that 009 isn't becoming scarce or rare. They are still making them therefore the market is getting albeit maybe slowly , flooded. Now when production ceases and they all get snatched up you can say they are hard to find. When there are several pages On eBay dedicated to one putter model at any given time , you can't really call them rare or hard to find . But I will say the supply has not outweighed the demand. Yet. But it will at some point and prices for plain 009 will level off or drop then.
[/quote]

I would definitely say they're starting to become harder to find than they previously have been, rather than the other way around. On ebay, there are currently 17 actual 009's for sale (not pre 009s, IBRM's, or the like). TCC also usually has quite a few. There are currently 4 for sale on TCC, which is also very low considering the volumes usually available in the past. It is at a point where members have even started threads about it wondering why. Now that may just be because people are holding on to them since the market is trending upwards and they are waiting to sell.
But again, with the lower number of those available now, plus the limiting of the distributors to 2 outlets plus the gallery, and the elimination of "custom ordering" one, I would say quite the opposite of flooding of the for sale market is happening. But again that's just my opinion based on what I've seen. Not saying they are becoming more rare in the grand scheme of things, because if more are being made than are "leaving" the market, there will continue to be more out there. But in terms of availability for people looking to buy one, I'm not sure I agree at this point in time for whatever the reason may be.

Now other tour putter models in general may be a different story, I'm just speaking to what I have seen with 009s.

Post above is pretty accurate. Collectors are holding onto their 009's right now. Scotty has cut out distributors and the ability to custom order one through these places. There was a time when you could sell your putter and if you regret it later then you just ordered a new one through a distributor. That's not happening anymore, so guys are keeping these things in collections.

The plain Jane 009's are being sold at the gallery starting at $3,500. So any time you see one on eBay or TCC then the guy selling it is usually taking a big hit from what he paid for it. So it's not usually a good hobby to jump into if you want to make money. While the market is good for them at the moment it is rare to see one sell for its retail price.

The market value is going up because collectors are holding on to them, and people are just now being introduced to Scotty's tour stuff through the attention Speith has gotten on his.

The best advice I can give on getting one at the right price is be patient. The value isn't going to shoot much higher than it is at the moment, you will have opportunities to pick up the one you want but it might take a year or two to find. Also if you plan on using it then do not get a "pretty" one that has a unique finish. I promise you will get it in and be too scared to use it. I have an oil can and put it away as soon as they discontinued that finish. The 3x black, pro platinum or new black finish are quality and will last.

[quote name='Lefty2021' timestamp='1444056344' post='12412306']
Post above is pretty accurate. Collectors are holding onto their 009's right now. Scotty has cut out distributors and the ability to custom order one through these places. There was a time when you could sell your putter and if you regret it later then you just ordered a new one through a distributor. That's not happening anymore, so guys are keeping these things in collections.

The plain Jane 009's are being sold at the gallery starting at $3,500. So any time you see one on eBay or TCC then the guy selling it is usually taking a big hit from what he paid for it. So it's not usually a good hobby to jump into if you want to make money. While the market is good for them at the moment it is rare to see one sell for its retail price.

The market value is going up because collectors are holding on to them, and people are just now being introduced to Scotty's tour stuff through the attention Speith has gotten on his.

The best advice I can give on getting one at the right price is be patient. The value isn't going to shoot much higher than it is at the moment, you will have opportunities to pick up the one you want but it might take a year or two to find. Also if you plan on using it then do not get a "pretty" one that has a unique finish. I promise you will get it in and be too scared to use it. I have an oil can and put it away as soon as they discontinued that finish. The 3x black, pro platinum or new black finish are quality and will last.
[/quote]
Prices at the Gallery which is really the only place other than TCC and eBay will be increasing on January 1, 2016.

If there is anyone in the tour stick market right now, now is the time to buy before prices skyrocket.

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1444074063' post='12413760']

Prices at the Gallery which is really the only place other than TCC and eBay will be increasing on January 1, 2016.

If there is anyone in the tour stick market right now, now is the time to buy before prices skyrocket.
[/quote]

So says the user who started the Circle T thread and owns a "Brushed Black 009 Prototype Circle T 33" 350G" - who wouldn't say prices are going to skyrocket if they own an 009. :taunt:
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1041877-show-me-your-circle-ts/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...your-circle-ts/[/url]

Part of the problem as has been identified is the strained supply. A major part of that is the stupid second tier distributors on eBay (classiccamerons that's now tourputtergallery, skratz123, petey3163 and a few others). They buy things up from the real distributors and then try to sell them without the original headcovers and grips for a premium rip off price. Sometimes they even swap or buy each others putters to make it look like certain market prices are the norm. Just a bunch of old fashioned collusion and market manipulation going on by them and even by Scotty.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1444075684' post='12413902']

[/quote]

So says the user who started the Circle T thread and owns a "Brushed Black 009 Prototype Circle T 33" 350G" - who wouldn't say prices are going to skyrocket if they own an 009. :taunt:
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1041877-show-me-your-circle-ts/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...your-circle-ts/[/url]

[/quote]
I felt like I just tried reading mandarin. What is that supposed to mean?

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1444086543' post='12414818']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Seems pretty straightforward to me and certainly not in mandarin - if you own an 009 you're much more likely to say prices are going to skyrocket than if you don't own one because anyone who owns one has a vested interest in prices going up not down. So consider the source of the opinions in this thread.

- Lord Tennyson

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1444108715' post='12416454']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Seems pretty straightforward to me and certainly not in mandarin - if you own an 009 you're much more likely to say prices are going to skyrocket than if you don't own one because anyone who owns one has a vested interest in prices going up not down. So consider the source of the opinions in this thread.
[/quote]
Ahhhh gotcha.

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You could say the same thing for the opposite, as with anything. If you own a collectible item, you're going to say it will go up in value. If you don't own one (and even more so if you're in the market for one) you're more likely to say it's not going to go up in value. So you can play that from either side. But regardless, the gallery themselves are the ones who have stated prices are going up, that's not just AZ Lefty saying that from a personal opinion.

[quote name='TommyOC' timestamp='1444139061' post='12417264']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You could say the same thing for the opposite, as with anything. If you own a collectible item, you're going to say it will go up in value. If you don't own one (and even more so if you're in the market for one) you're more likely to say it's not going to go up in value. So you can play that from either side. But regardless, the gallery themselves are the ones who have stated prices are going up, that's not just AZ Lefty saying that from a personal opinion.
[/quote]

Absolutely true - I never said otherwise. There are biases on both sides. The real problem with nearly all of these Scotty threads is they quickly turn into a debate about value and how much they are worth. With lectures about I wouldn't spend that much they aren't worth it v. they are worth it and only go up in value. Play what you want and don't worry about value or needing your ego stroked because you play a tour putter. Based on the original question it would have been much better to see some answers like:

I paid 2000 for my 009 and bought it off eBay

Paid 1500 for mine from a caddie i know

Paid 3500 from the Gallery in California

Bought mine off of craigslist for 1800

Played college golf and my friend who is on tour now gave me one for free.

Instead of sinking into the pandora's box of value again.

- Lord Tennyson