2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Tour Preferred Line (merged)

Pcasson

[quote name='ChelseaFCOwner' timestamp='1447202570' post='12581732']
Anyone who says the TPx is a short ball is wrong, way wrong..... way way wrong or a below average ball striker.

TP Tour X and Pro V1x are 2 long balls... [b]one is better in the wind and the other more spinny around greens. Pick your poison.[/b]

I have hit 19 of my 20 longest drives ever with both these balls..... the TPx a little longer and shot 18 of my 21 lowest scores ever with these balls... both are excellent... Callie Chrome Soft a 3rd
[/quote]

This. If the new version of the TPX does what they promise and keeps all of its old performance characteristics while adding spin around the greens, I'm going to be very pleased.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1447270625' post='12585102']
Anyone who says the TPx is a short ball is wrong, way wrong..... way way wrong or a below average ball striker.

TP Tour X and Pro V1x are 2 long balls... [b]one is better in the wind and the other more spinny around greens. Pick your poison.[/b]

I have hit 19 of my 20 longest drives ever with both these balls..... the TPx a little longer and shot 18 of my 21 lowest scores ever with these balls... both are excellent... Callie Chrome Soft a 3rd
[/quote]

This. If the new version of the TPX does what they promise and keeps all of its old performance characteristics while adding spin around the greens, I'm going to be very pleased.
[/quote]

Exactly, the original TPX was an improvement (evolution) to all the 5pcs balls before it, except maybe greenside spin. But that could just be technology. As new materials are developed, new manufacturing techniques perfected, We should expect some improvement. Within the parameters of the rules of golf. It's not always about distance, while it's good, I am looking for more performance.

Distance, wind performance, mid irons spin are all great. I would just like a little help around the greens

I just have to find somebody that has some in stock!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Ed Settle' timestamp='1447271272' post='12585152']
[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1447270625' post='12585102']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly, the original TPX was an improvement (evolution) to all the 5pcs balls before it, except maybe greenside spin. But that could just be technology. As new materials are developed, new manufacturing techniques perfected, We should expect some improvement. Within the parameters of the rules of golf. It's not always about distance, while it's good, I am looking for more performance.

Distance, wind performance, mid irons spin are all great. I would just like a little help around the greens

I just have to find somebody that has some in stock!
[/quote]
Spin couldn't be worse than elite 50 which manages to spin back a few feet on wedge shots.

Now i want to stock up on last year's model to try out and upgrade to this year's update once the stock runs out

Literally my number one thing with golf ball is driver shots penetration. I hit everything high with irons and they don't really roll off once they land on the green even with longer sticks. I'm liking what i'm seeing in this thread so far.

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

Look forward to trying the ball out!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Really looking forward to giving this ball a try. Thanks for the review OP!

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Good news for the rest of us who loved the 2015, blowout pricing! #2015TMTPxBlowout!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

This ball is supposed to have more spin on the short wedge shots. 70 yards and in. That was the feedback from the tour players. I just got a sleeve and have only putted with the ball. It soft, but not chrome soft soft. Has a nice click off the putter. Looking forward to testing it on the course and can provide more info once done.

Follow me on twitter @TheChrisKomas

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1447298493' post='12587298']
[quote name='halliedog' timestamp='1447292436' post='12586844']
Good news for the rest of us who loved the 2015, blowout pricing! #2015TMTPxBlowout!
[/quote]

So who has the lowest prices so far?
[/quote]

lostgolfballs.com

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I'm not sure I'd want it to go higher or spin more more on approach shots. I recently switched over to the TPX (late to the party on this one) and what I love about it most is the lower, penetrating flight off the driver and the spin is just right with the wedges. Great ball.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I had slightly different results with the new TPx ball. I am currently playing the Chromesoft and while I love the flight off the driver I know I am losing some distance off my irons because of the higher flight and added spin from this ball. This is why I was eager to try the new TPx ball. While I noticed a significantly lower flight throughout the bag the ball seemed to go nowhere off the driver, like 10-15 yards shorter for me on a solid drive. Chipping and wedges from 90 yards in, the ball is really good but I just cant sacrifice that kind of distance off the tee.

Played my second round with this ball yesterday on a big, open course in 20 mph winds. The ball flys very well into the wind, especially off the irons...several 3 & 4 iron shots that went like a frozen rope right at the green. Rolls great off the putter; I was also using the new Wilson 8802 and the ball felt really smooth and held a good line too (that putter putts an amazing amount of topspin on the ball). Hitting driver into the wind was very easy, no high bailouts in either direction. When I tee'd the ball low and hit a 3/4 punch with the driver the ball cut thru the wind like a knife...which was always one of the best features of the Lethal & 1st generation TPx. The tweaks I made to my bag and this ball will definitely give me a few more seasons playing from the blues...I may be 52, but I'm not ready to play from the whites just yet.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

[quote name='cwolfe888' timestamp='1447353611' post='12589918']
I had slightly different results with the new TPx ball. I am currently playing the Chromesoft and while I love the flight off the driver I know I am losing some distance off my irons because of the higher flight and added spin from this ball. This is why I was eager to try the new TPx ball. While I noticed a significantly lower flight throughout the bag the ball seemed to go nowhere off the driver, like 10-15 yards shorter for me on a solid drive. Chipping and wedges from 90 yards in, the ball is really good but I just cant sacrifice that kind of distance off the tee.
[/quote]

The TP and Project a have lower compression, maybe closer to what you have with the Chrome Soft.

[quote name='Ed Settle' timestamp='1447356327' post='12590200']
[/quote]

The TP and Project a have lower compression, maybe closer to what you have with the Chrome Soft.
[/quote]

True. But at a higher swing speed(115+) I should be compressing the TPx plenty and with a more penetrating trajectory and supposedly lower spin I should be getting the same distance if not more for my ball speed. I know from Trackman testing that I launch the Chromesoft slightly higher than optimal for my ball speed.

[quote name='cwolfe888' timestamp='1447368297' post='12591248']
[quote name='Ed Settle' timestamp='1447356327' post='12590200']
[/quote]

[/quote]

True. But at a higher swing speed(115+) I should be compressing the TPx plenty and with a more penetrating trajectory and supposedly lower spin I should be getting the same distance if not more for my ball speed. I know from Trackman testing that I launch the Chromesoft slightly higher than optimal for my ball speed.
[/quote]

Interesting. So, are you launching the new TPX higher the Chromesoft?

I got a couple of sleeves of the new TPX to try today. Weather permitting I'll give them a go on the weekend. I'll report back with some more info after I get a chance to play.

I've played the ProV1x for years so that's what it'll be up against.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

We should try and get the 4 threads combined.

I was thinking of getting maybe 6 or more dozens for stocking but realized that i'm getting a free dozen golf balls with my M1. Hopefully the proshop has the new TPX balls so that i can try and compare the old and new

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

I have played the new 2016 TPx balls for my past 2 rounds.

I literally cannot tell any difference between the new ones, the old TPx, and a ProV1x.

I cannot tell a difference because there is no difference. Great golf balls.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I played in very strong winds yesterday and as my course has over 100k trees there were leaves everywhere... took 5 mins to find some drives in the middle of fairways so I used all my old balls and marginally scuffed balls.... I played our 9th many times as I was about the only person out there and it has a wide open fairway in the main and was cleared of 75% of the leaves (misses in the trees wpuld see them buried under 6" of leaves)... I must have hit 30 drives with different balls.... I usually play TPx (2015 model) and recently Chrome Soft after playing TM TP and Pro v1... I also test vs Pro V1x which for mind is the best ball for my game and responsible for 3 of my 6 lowest ever scores receently.

So I used about 14 different balls from my range bag even a thing called a crystal which has a weird looking cover...

anyway into the strong wind the TPx and Pro V1x were better than every other ball for me... my Chrome soft was way short, the Pro V1 spun all ways and was shorter by about 10 yds... the Callaway Supersoft was very long but felt really weird in dispersion.... the crystal thing I lost.. DT Trusoft was okay but went sideways too much... I hit a very low ball when I want with a slight mongrel draw.... the TPx was very very good

I must say on my pitch shots to the green... anything sub 75 yards and the Pro V1 is the best spinning ball for me and quickest to stop, than the CS and Pro V1x and TM TPx not so great not so bad for me

[quote name='ChelseaFCOwner' timestamp='1447519832' post='12598456']
I played in very strong winds yesterday and as my course has over 100k trees there were leaves everywhere... took 5 mins to find some drives in the middle of fairways so I used all my old balls and marginally scuffed balls.... I played our 9th many times as I was about the only person out there and it has a wide open fairway in the main and was cleared of 75% of the leaves (misses in the trees wpuld see them buried under 6" of leaves)... I must have hit 30 drives with different balls.... I usually play TPx (2015 model) and recently Chrome Soft after playing TM TP and Pro v1... I also test vs Pro V1x which for mind is the best ball for my game and responsible for 3 of my 6 lowest ever scores receently.

So I used about 14 different balls from my range bag even a thing called a crystal which has a weird looking cover...

anyway into the strong wind the TPx and Pro V1x were better than every other ball for me... my Chrome soft was way short, the Pro V1 spun all ways and was shorter by about 10 yds... the Callaway Supersoft was very long but felt really weird in dispersion.... the crystal thing I lost.. DT Trusoft was okay but went sideways too much... I hit a very low ball when I want with a slight mongrel draw.... the TPx was very very good

I must say on my pitch shots to the green... anything sub 75 yards and the Pro V1 is the best spinning ball for me and quickest to stop, than the CS and Pro V1x and TM TPx not so great not so bad for me
[/quote]

If you like spin, try Snell MTB. It's got some zip even on half swing 50 yard pitches

I played my first round with the new TPX today and I think that it's the best ball I've ever played. Flight is high and strong off the tee with great feel. Distance is great and I don't think that I give up a yard off the tee - something incredible considering what I'll get into later.

Iron shots feel are more of the same with regard to ball flight and feel. They stop quickly with shots inside 150, even from the rough.

Where these really shine is around the greens. It's amazing how responsive they are. The ability to hit shots that bite or ones that have less spin and roll out is superb. In this sense, they play a lot like the regular Pro V, but the feel is much better. I'm amazed by TMs ability to produce a ball this great feeling and responsive while still being able to provide distance off the tee.

A couple of comparables:

2016 TPX highlights:
- feel
- control on short shots
- distance still excellent

Nike RZN:
- Much harder feel
- Not as much control around the greens
- distance is excellent

Pro V1/x
- feel is great on both these balls, but these are noticeably more "clicky" than the TPX
- spin and control are close, but I think the TPX has an edge here
- distance is similar

Overall, I think I'll be putting the TPX in play next season. It is actually the best ball I think I've ever played. Give it a shot!

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

[quote name='Hat Trick' timestamp='1447358862' post='12590450']
[quote name='2010PGA' timestamp='1447299506' post='12587372']
$47.99 everywhere for the 2016 TM TP balls.
[/quote]But I'm sure we can count on TM to have a deal in the near future to get the ball into our hands at a cheaper price. They will have too if they want to compete with the #1 Ball.
[/quote]
They will certainly need to do better than $48 to get people to buy them. The chrome soft > $40 is still the best bang for your bck ball deal going. Anything over $40 will not make it to my bag.