2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Would you go to Bandon Dunes alone????

dearth12

@spud3- I can't speak to the relationship, just to this one instance and I certainly did not see this coming. Thanks for the idea of staying in Eugene on Saturday night over Portland. Breaking up that drive after 36 holes that day sounds like a much better plan. In regards to waiting on your friends and eventually saying f*ck it, I am in that exact same place. I have no idea what the upcoming years are going to look like schedule wise for me, my wife, or my 2 sons. I can only imagine that the boys sports schedules are going to become more time consuming in the very near future and that combined with the fact that a trip to Bandon from Ohio takes a great deal of logistical planning far in advance, my time is now!

@mallrat- Thanks for the comments and the offer for a round, but I am not sure it will fit into my schedule when I am out there.

My tentative schedule is:

Tuesday March 28th- Arrive in Portland @ 10:30 AM, drive to Bandon, check in, and possibly hit the range and Punchbowl

Wednesday- No round scheduled in the morning due to availability, but I think that might change now that I am freed up as a single or I might just use the time to sleep in and then hit the range for a while.

1:40 tee time on Bandon Dunes

Thursday- 8am Pacific Dunes

1:50 Bandon Trails

Friday- 8am Old Mac

1:50 Bandon Dunes

Saturday- 8:50 Pacific Dunes

2:40 Bandon Trails

After the round on Saturday I will drive to Eugene and stay for the night before waking up and finishing the trip to Portland to fly out Sunday morning.

Any suggestions for potential changes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great Dearth :)

For that first full day, just keep ringing them up and I'm sure you'll find an open slot eventually. Otherwise once on the ground the day before, just head into the proshop and do the same.

If you haven't already, do let them know you are now a single instead of a twosome. Also as you say you are now a single, that could really turn a number of day's agendas around if you wanted.

What time does it get dark out in March? Just wondering as Trails is typically the 'slow' round.

Anything anyone would add is nitpicking, that really is a good setup.

Not golf-related, but if you are OK going as far as Eugene, I'd just push on all the way to PDX after your round and stay next to the airport, then there's no faffing about the next day. Personally I'm one to get to the following day's destination regardless of the arrival time, versus getting midway, but that's just me.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Sounds like a great schedule. 'Hope you're in great shape, as walking two rounds a day over 3 to 4 days is going to wipe you out, especially if you don't have a caddie for each round. Make sure you use Body Glide, and change your socks after each round. I found out the hard way that blisters can dampen the trip.

Are you planning to drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from Portland? It takes a little longer, but it beats the heck out of I-5.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I might be going there by myself at some point this year. I'm expecting to make a work trip to Portland at some point, and I think I'm going to extend the trip over the weekend and try to make it down there. I played The Old Course and Royal Dornoch as a single joining up with other players, and met some really cool people (including an Irish Tenor and a former Governor of Massachusetts). Especially at places like Bandon where you're going to find people who are really passionate golfers, you'll usually get paired with good people.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I might be going there by myself at some point this year. I'm expecting to make a work trip to Portland at some point, and I think I'm going to extend the trip over the weekend and try to make it down there. I played The Old Course and Royal Dornoch as a single joining up with other players, and met some really cool people (including an Irish Tenor and a former Governor of Massachusetts). Especially at places like Bandon where you're going to find people who are really passionate golfers, you'll usually get paired with good people.

That's one of the neat things. No one is looking for a new BFF, but with one exception*, it's been one lovely person after the next. Some of whom you go play replay rounds with, as you got on and there really isn't anything else to do but head back to the first tee when you are done. Typically everyone is a clued up golfer and knows how to get around as well.

*A guy and his son - who he berated the whole round - the guy took a call on the 2nd tee and actually talked to the person for about a minute. Made a call from the 8th tee and was just really a serious d-bag. Myself and the other guy I played with, pretty much froze him out and were super complimentary to his son from the 5th hole onwards. Good times, good times.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

@duffer- I am waiting to hear back from a couple guys to see if they can join me. It is a long shot, but should know by this weekend and at that time I will let Bandon know I am in as a single.

@argon- I had not given much thought to the route from Portland to Bandon. Does taking the Pacific Coast Highway add a lot of time to the drive? Is I-5 bad because it is just boring or are there typically delays/construction?

@3jack- I am hoping to get paired up for the majority of my rounds and I'm sure most of those will be with good guys

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I-5 will probably save you about 2 hours. I've never made the whole drive but if something happens on 101 you are in for a long day. My last extended trip on 101 took about 6 hours to go 200 miles, but it's normally not that backed up. If you are going to stay by the airport I would take I-5 but if you have the time 101 is a beautiful stretch of this country.

I went last March as a single for my first visit...Had a helluva good time. Golf is insane, food is really good, very casual/flexible atmosphere. Can't wait to go again.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

I made the trip from Portland to Bandon in August, and the PCH added roughly 60 to 90 minutes the trip. I-5 is simply bland. Boring scenery and heavy traffic. You'll be on it on the return trip from Eugene, and it's not worth seeing twice. I imagine it might be some time before you get back to that part of the country, and the PCH is quite special. I stopped numerous times to take photos. I figured the first day is pretty much shot traveling, so the extra travel time didn't amount to much.

I played four rounds over two days, with the Preserve on the morning of the 3rd day. I had a caddie for the morning rounds and joined two threesomes. The afternoon rounds were solo with me pulling my clubs on a rickshaw. The final round on Trails was memorable because it was the first and last time I ever let a single play through. After walking four rounds in two days, I was running on fumes. A single caught me and asked if he could join. I laughed, and told him he was better off playing through, as I was moving slow, and getting slower. We had a good laugh, and he continued on.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'm here in Bandon as I type this reply and I am Han Solo up in this piece - Chewy is back home and couldn't go his wife didn't want him too. Sad times...

I see both sides really... I was kicking myself when I hastily planned this four day adventure a little over a month ago since I truly wanted to experience it with my buddy (Chewy... Not really his name, but you get the point). Knowing that the stars will never be fully aligned I finally said screw it, "I'm doing it by myself otherwise I'll wait forever for someone else."

I've met some awesome people over the past three days and have played not only some of the best golf of my life, but probably the best courses I'll ever play. The aura that surrounds the property is something you'll treasure with or without someone close to you.

Naturally, I'm already texting everyone like, "You gotta come here man!". Responses vary between, "The weather sucks and I wouldn't enjoy it", "Wife doesn't want me gone that long", and "Meh".

I'm happy I got to experience it on my own terms. All my spare time was either spent putting, playing extra holes until the sun went down, or more putting.

As The Pearl said above, "I would never let somebody else ruin my Bandon trip. Never."..... No true words have ever been spoken!

I've been to Bandon 20+ times over the years, it is great by itself (the courses are amazing) but it is a lot more fun with friends. Sitting in the bunker bar, smokin a stogie, having a beer and regaling shots of greatness or utter disappointment with your buddies is so much fun.

That said, if you don't think you will get another trip to Bandon in the near future, Go! There are more singles playing Bandon than you think. Most golfers there are nice guys (and the occasional girl) and you will have a good time.

If you are Han Solo-ing it, ask for Sasha to be your caddie... Will make you forget your buddy bailed on you :)

That is the other thing. For your first time at Bandon, get a caddy for every first round at a course. Yeah, it will double your cost per round, but most of the caddies there are pretty darn good (there is another thread with recommended caddies by WRXers) and they make the round more fun, especially if you are going as a single. Someone you can talk to during the round IF your playing partners aren't that much fun.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I confess: I didn't read your entire post but yes I would.

It's going to be two different experiences but definitely worth it. If you're going soon let me know and I'd be willing to tag along with ya.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
SM5 Raw 52*, 56*, 60* Raw TI S400
Wilson Staff 1

The only thing I'd say. . .play 36 the first day, and take 18 off one of those middle days, probably Friday.

The first day, you're gonna be GEEKED. Go play that morning. You can't sit around that morning.

36 for 3 days straight is going to be brutal. Believe me. I walk every round I play, pretty much. I went with bro in law who was training for a marathon. Those courses wear you out with the winds and the climbs and you're just on your feet so much out there. We played 36 two days straight and were beat up.

Your buddy. . .yup, you're going to run into that. I work with a guy who was a golfer who always played with his father in law. I kept trying to get him to play. Finally, we found a day we could play and he starts getting texts/calls early in the round. "Just a minute. Gotta take this."

He had to walk off the course on like the 15th hole because of some "emergency".

That was the last time I ever tried to play with him.

I don't even think that's it a matter of a woman who can't deal with a baby solo. Some people (men and women) just seem like they can't stand the idea of their spouse having a good time while they're still in their routine. That's a shame.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

@thecitygame- Maybe you are right about my buddy and his situation. Only he can really know. Sucks either way. In regards to Wednesday morning....I know that I am going to be geeked up and ready to go. However, at this time there are no openings Wednesday morning. Now if I end up going solo (still waiting to get confirmation either way from 2 guys) I am sure that will change and I will most certainly play that morning and then make adjustments, depending on how I feel, during my time there.

Thanks for all the replies and tips guys!!

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

@mojo- That would be awesome. I would suggest booking ASAP as I know the room availability was becoming scarce when I called to check on switching my reservations to possibly become a single. If it works out and you book something shoot me a PM or reply in this thread and we can for sure try to get paired up for some rounds out there!

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I subscribe to booking 36 each day for the simple fact that the weather is unpredictable. You want to be playing all day when the weather is good, not sitting out. That way you can bail on a bad day and not feel like you are missing out. Obviously based on your schedule, if you could add Old Mac on Day 1, that gives you two rounds possible on each course. You are more than likely to have a day that is simply miserable to play, so you can have that as your rest day. Note also, that many days involve drastic weather change between morning and afternoon, so it is essential to have something scheduled.

Of course, as a single, you will have max flexibility to adjust on the fly. If you don't like a course, you can swap it out. Going as a single really has a tone of options for the serious golfer.

@Pearl- It is my plan to add Old Mac in the morning on Wednesday to make sure I have the option to play each course twice if possible. Originally we were going to play Old Mac Sunday morning and then fly out of Portland early that evening, BUT that is just another thing my buddy changed along the way before bailing.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I don't even think that's it a matter of a woman who can't deal with a baby solo. Some people (men and women) just seem like they can't stand the idea of their spouse having a good time while they're still in their routine. That's a shame.

or the opposite. I can't get one of my buddy's out because he can't stand the idea of their spouse being in the routine while he goes out and has fun.

@OP I'd go solo if I had to - and I probably will at some point. My situation would be that none of my friends who are golf geeks will pony up the cost of golf at bandon. Those friends that aren't that into golf can't fathom paying more than $60 for golf.

@Pearl- It is my plan to add Old Mac in the morning on Wednesday to make sure I have the option to play each course twice if possible. Originally we were going to play Old Mac Sunday morning and then fly out of Portland early that evening, BUT that is just another thing my buddy changed along the way before bailing.

When you rebook as a single, you may be able to really rearrange everything so that you get all the courses twice. If not, you can certainly add any of the other 3 courses the first morning and than adjust on the fly. Old Mac is my least favorite, so if it were me, I wouldn't work to hard to change what you have. Old Mac tends to be the course that yields the widest opinions. You may really love it or really hate it. I don't hate it, just very agnostics and I have played it 5 times. I look forward to reading what you think post trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it didnt work out. There were no rooms available during that window :( and ended up booking with a buddy for early May...

@mojo- That would be awesome. I would suggest booking ASAP as I know the room availability was becoming scarce when I called to check on switching my reservations to possibly become a single. If it works out and you book something shoot me a PM or reply in this thread and we can for sure try to get paired up for some rounds out there!

• 1 month later...

OP here. I waited around until the last possible day on another guy who was trying to make it work, but in the end it just didn't work out. I called today, 30 days out, and changed the reservation to be a single. This allowed me to add a morning round on Wednesday at Old Mac, so I will have the chance to play each course twice and I won't be sitting around my first morning there when I know I'll be so excited to get started.

Thanks for all the help in this thread and I will be sure to make time to post while I am there.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I second that...you'll have a blast, I went solo last year. Can't wait to go again.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

I will third the above. Trails alone is the best golf experience I have ever had. I was fortunate to do two rounds solo, both rounds with sun and little wind. Only saw a couple of grounds crew, the turn stand gal, and the shuttle dude on 14. The ocean holes are terrific and deserve all the accolades they receive, but for the pure "walking golfer", Trails has no equal on the property. The tranquility and solitude is unmatched.