2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

I am still knocking the snot out of my Z and love it. I have tinkered a bit with the settings, something Brian didn't do a lot of. Interesting results when, for fun, I put my BC plus bag in the bag with the loft jacked up. It was almost as long as the Z and felt really good. Just not quite as tight in dispersion.

I am also seeing drastic differences now that it is hot. My swing speed is probably closer to 95 now and the weight of the Z allows it to flow through the swing. Would love to do a trackman session now. Summer Gear Trials might make for better season results based on how I am hitting it now. Cannot help but wonder how the cold, the layers of clothes, and the wind all affected our results.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot help but wonder how the cold, the layers of clothes, and the wind all affected our results.

Definitely cost you guys an average of 50 yards each.

....Just kidding :happy:

Seriously, though. It would be cool if you guys could update us on how you are doing with your new, fitted drivers now that the weather is getting warmer.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Great reviews! Glad everything is liking their new sticks (for the most part). I'm still wondering how Ball Speed numbers changed so much with different Drivers. My numbers seem to barely move between clubs.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Cannot help but wonder how the cold, the layers of clothes, and the wind all affected our results.

There's nothing I've done since the GT that would have caused me to pick up 5 mph in clubhead speed. I've been really busy at work, and haven't been playing or practicing much. I'm just about as fat as I was then, and haven't started doing yoga or anything, and I haven't made any mechanical changes to speak of. Even before I got my swing fixed yesterday, my earlier swings during the session were the same speed. I think the extra layers definitely affected our flexibility and knocked a few mph off our numbers. But I don't think that really affected the results of the testing in any material way.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

There's nothing I've done since the GT that would have caused me to pick up 5 mph in clubhead speed. I've been really busy at work, and haven't been playing or practicing much. I'm just about as fat as I was then, and haven't started doing yoga or anything, and I haven't made any mechanical changes to speak of. Even before I got my swing fixed yesterday, my earlier swings during the session were the same speed. I think the extra layers definitely affected our flexibility and knocked a few mph off our numbers. But I don't think that really affected the results of the testing in any material way.

Believe it or not - ready for this.

I have been doing a little stretching and yoga. (Don't LOL fellas!) And have lost a little weight. I was up to around 208 and am now back down to 200. Just took my annual FF physical and did more this year than last so I must be onto something. But I am also hitting the ball past where I was - a long way past. I tend to play the same courses a lot of when I am getting onto a par 5 in two that I NEVER even considered before, something just feels right. : )

About the only thing I can't manage with my Z is a little fade. You guys who saw my swing can understand - I just can't control anything I am intentionally trying to send right. But other than that, this driver has been an amazing addition.

How did I lose a little weight? I started walking a little more. And have actually worked on field units a couple of times - that will put some miles on your shoes. Felt good to get my hands in again. So in the end, between the lack of layers of clothing (this Florida boy had three layers on!), and some conditioning added to an amazing driver, I have really seen some amazing results.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

Final driver for season (subject to change) Taylor Made M1 460 9.5 w/ Mits. Rayon Kuro Kage tini 60 s flex at 45.25 inches playing length

The M1 was my gold selection, but money made me go the M2 route earlier this season, The M1 proved to be lower spinning and the needed adjustments that can be made. Happy so far.

Yoga is a great thing, especially when it comes to Golf. Anything that can make you more flexible (especially your back which Downward Dog helps, as well as other stretches) and improve mobility is a plus and should not be taken lightly. Some people may make fun of guys doing Yoga, but it's great for both physical and mental health. I have an outing Saturday and have been on / off Yoga for the past couple months. I am going to do it every day this week in preparation. No shame here, Yoga it up!

Yoga is a great thing, especially when it comes to Golf. Anything that can make you more flexible (especially your back which Downward Dog helps, as well as other stretches) and improve mobility is a plus and should not be taken lightly. Some people may make fun of guys doing Yoga, but it's great for both physical and mental health. I have an outing Saturday and have been on / off Yoga for the past couple months. I am going to do it every day this week in preparation. No shame here, Yoga it up!

Plus the scenery is nice! ;)

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Plus the scenery is nice! ;)

Yoga is the one class in which there are numerous benefits to being in the back row...

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

It's been in the works for quite some time, but mine is about to be here, I'm hoping this week. It's been hard waiting this long, but it's gonna be AWESOME when it comes through. I've only played 27 holes so far this year which is an absolute atrocity as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there are guys around here who have played more holes than that today alone :(.

I'll update my WITB with the new stick as soon as it arrives, and I'll link it in this thread if anyone is still keeping up with it.

It's going to be an LTD Pro with an Agera shaft in it, but if all goes according to plan, it'll look different than your average bear.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• 2 weeks later...

Gear Trial gear heads- anyway all those that participated can start a running list of what's currently in the bag?

Pics would be great too

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Gear Trial gear heads- anyway all those that participated can start a running list of what's currently in the bag?

Pics would be great too

Just got mine yesterday, and literally JUST updated my WITB w/ the driver (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/957665-hayzooos-witb-20160604-matte-ltd-pro-is-here/page__st__150#entry13695878)

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Pics would be great too

Sorry no pics, but still got the new Ping G in the bag. Only change since the last post I made was with the shaft - went from the Rogue black to the Rip Phenom to drop the shaft weight down a bit.

Well my WITB is the same as my signature, the newer changes I did is put into play is the Callaway X Utility Prototype (had it laying around in the house and re-shafted it with the AD DI 105x from the hybrid) and I am now playing the X Hot Pro driver head (I normally switch between that and the RFX head) it has been really nice, consistent and long...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Pics would be great too

I am still rocking the LTD but have moved on from the HZRDUS Black back to the XPHLEXXX Agera. Combo has been really good so far, little less fade biased than the HZRDUS

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I am still gaming my "winner" - Ping G LS Tec with DI6.

However, do to a swing adjustment that is helping my handicap drop like a rock, I need driver with slightly less fade bias. Therefore, I just ordered a new G LS head hot melted in the heel. Hoping to peel 10-15 yard fade back to 5-10 yard fade. (Yes, we all know I have a sickness!). Head will be here next week, I will update on experiment.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Callaway Sub Zero AD GP-7X Black

and it has been a great move. Very happy with this combo

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I have the driver that should have been my winner based on the data in the bag now. Ping G LS Tec 9* (not digitally lofted, so who know if that's accurate), set to the lowest loft setting. Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70x, playing at 44.5".

I have a 125 MSI Rogue 70TX that I'm going to try as soon as I have a chance to pull the adapter on it and install a Ping one. I'm hoping it might give me a little more anti-left bias. If that doesn't work out, I have another 110 MSI Rogue (tip broke on one and got a warranty replacement after already buying a new one because I needed it quickly), so I might tip that and put it in to see if that gets me where I want to be.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. It's longer than the G30 LS I played last year, and it seems more forgiving.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

So now that the Callaway Sub Zero is out, is there gonna be another test? # 1 signup right here!

:)

I've been using both the G and LTD, my two "winners". Probably a 5-1 ratio at least towards the G and I haven't come close to putting the LTD in for a competitive round, it's still longer good for good but it's hard to go back and forth from Ping to something else because of the shape IMO. I like the G better than last years gamer G30.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Going back and forth with the M1 and Cobra LTd Pro with differing shafts which isn't helping the decision making process. Want to like the LTD and it's added forgiveness but it seems a little more fade biased. I'm coming from a 07 Burner TP that I hit for 9 years so the M1 graphics are a little similar and it seems more intuitive to hit the high draw with. Both the M1 and LTD are outstanding drivers, I think they both feel great with the carbon crowns which create a more solid feel IMO. Has anyone found a significant forgiveness difference between the two or is the 300 points of MOI difference negligible in the real world?

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

However, do to a swing adjustment that is helping my handicap drop like a rock, I need driver with slightly less fade bias. Therefore, I just ordered a new G LS head hot melted in the heel. Hoping to peel 10-15 yard fade back to 5-10 yard fade. (Yes, we all know I have a sickness!). Head will be here next week, I will update on experiment.

Any hot melt added will not move your CoG whatsoever unless you want your driver to be completely unplayable at a ridiculous swing-weight. Ask Mr. Wishon, he will confirm this statement....

Any hot melt added will not move your CoG whatsoever unless you want your driver to be completely unplayable at a ridiculous swing-weight. Ask Mr. Wishon, he will confirm this statement....

Thank you for the feedback. Here are the facts, directly from Ping engineer - Ping hot melts each the G LS driver about 5-8 grams before shipping and fortunately they now allow a customer to request hot melt location, therefore swing weight doesn't change but CG does. I am confident and comfortable with this decision after a long discussion with Pings metal wood engineer. We will see once the new head arrives.

Even if it's just a placebo, I'll take it!

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Thank you for the feedback. Here are the facts, directly from Ping engineer - Ping hot melts each the G LS driver about 5-8 grams before shipping and fortunately they now allow a customer to request hot melt location, therefore swing weight doesn't change but CG does. I am confident and comfortable with this decision after a long discussion with Pings metal wood engineer. We will see once the new head arrives.

I'm a Wishon fan, and I know where he's coming from. The weight itself (in that little of an amount) will not change the ball flight, that's true. However, I do think that much will change the way you hit the club, maybe slightly slower rotation, whatever. 5-8g is enough to make a difference I believe. Again, if a robot is swinging, there will be no change, but we're not robots, we play with feel and adding 8g in one location will almost certainly affect how you swing the club.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

I'm a Wishon fan, and I know where he's coming from. The weight itself (in that little of an amount) will not change the ball flight, that's true. However, I do think that much will change the way you hit the club, maybe slightly slower rotation, whatever. 5-8g is enough to make a difference I believe. Again, if a robot is swinging, there will be no change, but we're not robots, we play with feel and adding 8g in one location will almost certainly affect how you swing the club.

That in turn also changes the way the shaft reacts. Which for next years gear trials I would love to see head weights and nominal lofts which have an impact on spin.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Also keep in mind Ping already add 5-8 grams to every G LS, so now we have moved 5-8 grams from one spot to another, effectively a net 10-16 gram difference.... That will certainly effect CoG and ball flight.

New driver went in play yesterday. Sound is incredibly different/better and so far ball flight seems to be substantially different. Will report back after a few rounds and range sessions.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Also keep in mind Ping already add 5-8 grams to every G LS, so now we have moved 5-8 grams from one spot to another, effectively a net 10-16 gram difference.... That will certainly effect CoG and ball flight.

New driver went in play yesterday. Sound is incredibly different/better and so far ball flight seems to be substantially different. Will report back after a few rounds and range sessions.

Only by the weight of the back port, not by hot melting.

Congrats on the new sound though!

Only by the weight of the back port, not by hot melting.

Congrats on the new sound though!

As I mentioned above, Ping engineer explained to us that every G LS gets hot melt (Giloo to be more accurate). However, now Ping gives the customer the option to have it added to a specific location, which is what we did. This is over and above the weight port. Hope that explains it a little better.

Yes, the new sound is sweet, thank you!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Played my first round with the 125 MSI Rogue yesterday, and I think it's probably going to be the one I play going forward. It seems like it gives me a little help keeping the really bad ones from going too far left (I did snap one, but there's no shaft in the world that helps the all arms, overdone flip with the hands swing from being really bad), and it's definitely no problem to turn it over. it's at least as long as the 110 Rogue and t has a little smoother feel, but that's splitting hairs. I'll be keeping the 110 for a while at least as a backup, but I think the 125 is the gamer. Besides, what kind of WRXer would I be if I had a chance to play a tour issue shaft and went with retail instead?