Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

Played my first round with the 125 MSI Rogue yesterday, and I think it's probably going to be the one I play going forward. It seems like it gives me a little help keeping the really bad ones from going too far left (I did snap one, but there's no shaft in the world that helps the all arms, overdone flip with the hands swing from being really bad), and it's definitely no problem to turn it over. it's at least as long as the 110 Rogue and t has a little smoother feel, but that's splitting hairs. I'll be keeping the 110 for a while at least as a backup, but I think the 125 is the gamer. Besides, what kind of WRXer would I be if I had a chance to play a tour issue shaft and went with retail instead?

Not one that I'd trust, that's for sure!!!

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the G while the LTD collects dust in the corner, hitting it well and have been lazy about getting a DI tipped for the cobra. LTD has a chrome in it now. Went back to miles to redo the test between the two as a last ditch effort to like the LTD enough to actually play it, I will update with numbers when I get them but the LTD definitely won out again on distance. I was up in the 106-108 range after already playing 36 that day. The chrome is a garbage shaft and I'm pissed I even bothered taking it on the course and letting that sway my opinion on the driver as a whole.

Interesting after hitting a GP, fitter said he much prefers the DI to other graphite design offerings. "Over hyped but one of the best driver shafts ever made". He said they have also had good success with the MJ, I've seen a lot of yellow MT's (3jacks gamer), but no MJ's ever. The pro 63 blue? was also really solid for a lower priced option.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Good to hear. Sounds like both clubs are solid for you!

I love how you keep trying to get the LTD to win out. And as far as the DI, I think you're dead on. Yes, overhyped- but with good reason. I personally, never got on with it but it seems to fit a variety of swings.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I really, really like the MT I put into an M1. Hate the color but it fits nicely between the BB and DI. I, too, have been trying to like the LTD Pro with a KK XT but results have been much more inconsistent albeit with an occasional monster drive. Think it may be too low of spin and when I loft up, the launch gets too high. Can't say enough good things about the MT, feels a little tighter than the DI and produces a great ball flight.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Interesting after hitting a GP, fitter said he much prefers the DI to other graphite design offerings. "Over hyped but one of the best driver shafts ever made". He said they have also had good success with the MJ, I've seen a lot of yellow MT's (3jacks gamer), but no MJ's ever. The pro 63 blue? was also really solid for a lower priced option.

One of the biggest things I learned during the Gear Trials was what a bad fit the AD MT was for me. It was costing me about 5 mph in ball speed, and several hundred RPMs, which equates to some serious distance.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

One of the biggest things I learned during the Gear Trials was what a bad fit the AD MT was for me. It was costing me about 5 mph in ball speed, and several hundred RPMs, which equates to some serious distance.

Shawn was not a fan at all. Same with the GP, decent shaft but not many people hitting it any better than the DI. Said some of the other fitters were getting people into MJ but his personal experience was basically DI or move on. The quote was interesting but makes sense, it's so popular that it's over hyped but at the same time it's been one of the best 3-5 driver shafts on market since coming out 10? years ago? Crazy.

Fwiw anyone reading my reviews I'm much more into on course results than testing, I'm 5 minutes away from a trackman but this was the first time since trials I've been on there. With days like my last 3 of 27/54/27 holes I've averaged a round a day since golf courses opened in MI.

Shawn was not a fan at all. Same with the GP, decent shaft but not many people hitting it any better than the DI. Said some of the other fitters were getting people into MJ but his personal experience was basically DI or move on. The quote was interesting but makes sense, it's so popular that it's over hyped but at the same time it's been one of the best 3-5 driver shafts on market since coming out 10? years ago? Crazy.

Fwiw anyone reading my reviews I'm much more into on course results than testing, I'm 5 minutes away from a trackman but this was the first time since trials I've been on there. With days like my last 3 of 27/54/27 holes I've averaged a round a day since golf courses opened in MI.

What particularly does the fitter not like about the MT shaft?

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5

It lacks firmness in the tip, which costs someone who swings like me ball speed and consistency.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

We were talking in general terms and since I had a GP and a DI the discussion moved to graphite design. He just hasn't been that impressed with any of the offerings since the DI, I took that to mean they are targeted at much smaller groups of people. My numbers were good with the DI so he said he wouldn't touch any of the other models and generally doesn't during his fittings. He also said there are a number of shafts that are similar to the DI for a better price, the pro 63 I mentioned being one of them.

It lacks firmness in the tip, which costs someone who swings like me ball speed and consistency.

Appreciate the information. Did you guys get a chance to hit the KK XT and, if so, what were your experiences?

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5

Appreciate the information. Did you guys get a chance to hit the KK XT and, if so, what were your experiences?

I was hitting that in the Titleist D4 and it was a pretty good combination. Ultimately the HZRDUS ended up being a little lower spin and had a little tighter dispersion but I really liked the feel. Had a little more kick at impact than HZRDUS Black.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the G while the LTD collects dust in the corner, hitting it well and have been lazy about getting a DI tipped for the cobra. LTD has a chrome in it now. Went back to miles to redo the test between the two as a last ditch effort to like the LTD enough to actually play it, I will update with numbers when I get them but the LTD definitely won out again on distance. I was up in the 106-108 range after already playing 36 that day. The chrome is a garbage shaft and I'm pissed I even bothered taking it on the course and letting that sway my opinion on the driver as a whole

Follow up to this, sourced a black DI 6x for the cobra. 70/69/69, not the same course each day. It's 10 yards longer than the G at least and the X flex has straightened out my flight considerably. I'll post up the numbers from the above mentioned second trip to Miles shortly. I'll be playing a 6s in the early months and switching to the 6x as the weather warms up in years going forward. Anyone have a GP 6x they want to trade for a 6s let me know!

Should probably come in and update here....I was gaming my winner (LTD Pro) with the AD DI 7x for a while. It was good, but I felt like I was leaving something on the table. I went back and saw my fitter, Shawn, and we tested some different shafts. I switched back to my original gamer shaft, Fujikura Pro TS 73x, and was able to tighten things up a bit. Yesterday, I went back in to Miles of Golf with Shawn and we were testing some things out to see if we could improve anything. Here's what we found:

Cobra King LTD Pro: 116.9 (swing speed), 2627 RPM, 284 carry

Taylormade M2: 118, 2400 RPM, 288 carry

Overall, I picked up about 7 total yards, but the M2 was much more consistent for me and consistently had about 2-3 mph more ball speed, even on mishits. Still going back and forth between shafts, AD DI has been really good and so has the Fuji Pro TS. Shawn said he wished he could've had us test the M2 more, it's been a beast for them

An update from me.....

Still have the Z in my bag. I actually took my BC+ out for a couple of rounds just to see what my results might be versus my Z and it was amazing. The Cobra was long enough but the dispersion was off the grid. By the second round I already knew at the turn that the Z would be going back in.

I let a friend of mine hit it and he was amazed. He plays an R11S that he got fitted for and bombs - and the Z was past it. Talk about an attention getter.

I have learned a few nice little tricks with my Z also; tee it high for normal conditions but if I am hitting it into the wind I can tee it low and get a really consistent penetrating ball flight that is lower by far. This is common sense, I know fellas, but no other driver allowed me such an easy change. If I tee my Cobra too low it is a 200 yarder tops with a flight that is more line drive than golf drive. Tee the Z lower and the flight is still penetrating for me.

The only thing I cannot do with my Srixon is hit it off of the deck. And I cannot consistently fade/cut the ball with it. (Working on that one)

A nice summary of the performance is two things that are 100% definite:

1. I have finding myself in places on courses where I have never been. I know, for a fact, that my swing speed is up since the Trials. Probably around 95 or so. I am getting awesome distance and consistency and pull the driver with total and absolute confidence. Even a tight hole with trouble all around isn't intimidating for me. I pick my target line, take my aim, and take the shot.

2. A wonderful side effect of my consistency is the way it causes my opponents to react. I play in a lot of match play rounds and, when your opponent is long, straight, and in the center of the FW it sort of forces you to think you also need to go for it. On one hole last month, there was trouble everywhere. The hole was only around 350 or so and yet it was the number 4 handicap hole on the course. Water on the left, sand on the right, and trees past the sand. With rollout I hit it to about 100 out. Dead center. I had honors and my opponent was already one down with only a few holes remaining so he felt it was time for him to also "go for it". An overswing almost always goes left and his did - right into the water. At the end of the hole I was two up and dormie.

That's the sum of my Z for me - "Two up and dormie."

It's a great feeling to know that you own the outcome to a greater degree. I am just a little amazed that there hasn't been a bit more buzz on here about this hidden jewel of a driver.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 6 months later...

A year ago today, one of the coolest things that I or any golfer could have participated in.

This past year flew, I still go back to this thread to enjoy some of the happenings and quotes of that event.

Only GolfWRX could pull it off.

Thanks again

Was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Was awesome meeting the GolfWrx guys and all of the participants. Really hoping our paths cross again Jeff. Very fortunate to have had that opportunity, that's for certain.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Time does fly!!

One year later, how many of those that participated in the event are still playing the driver they were fit for?

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Time does fly!!

One year later, how many of those that participated in the event are still playing the driver they were fit for?

Not I--I did buy an LTD Pro, but found that it didn't really go any farther that my previous gamer, and I didn't find it as forgiving. I then switched to a G LS with Rogue Silver, which was really the one I should have picked as my winner based on the numbers. I struggled with that club for a good portion of the year, too. I ended up switching back to my G30 LS head with the Rogue Silver late in the year, and have been using that. I did just pick up an Epic SubZero after testing that showed that it was about 8-10 yards longer than the G30 LS. The Epic also has a Rogue Silver in it.

So, looking back on the experience, the main thing I took from it is that I found that the Rogue Silver is a shaft that seems to work well for me. I've switched to that in both my driver and 3 wood.

Look in my sig file.

I tried a Vapor Fly for awhile but just wasn't as consistent. I still love my Z and, for the time being, it isn't going anywhere.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Time does fly!!

Not I--I did buy an LTD Pro, but found that it didn't really go any farther that my previous gamer, and I didn't find it as forgiving. I then switched to a G LS with Rogue Silver, which was really the one I should have picked as my winner based on the numbers. I struggled with that club for a good portion of the year, too. I ended up switching back to my G30 LS head with the Rogue Silver late in the year, and have been using that. I did just pick up an Epic SubZero after testing that showed that it was about 8-10 yards longer than the G30 LS. The Epic also has a Rogue Silver in it.

So, looking back on the experience, the main thing I took from it is that I found that the Rogue Silver is a shaft that seems to work well for me. I've switched to that in both my driver and 3 wood.

Nice! I too seem to fit well into the Rogue Silver. Epic or Epic SZ with Rogue 60X is on my radar.

New stuff came out ---

We are all sickos

At least Hideki can stick with the GBB :)

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Well, I still have the RFX but the SLDR with the new shaft kicked it out of the bag (for now), I bought the SLDR around the same time I bought the RFX (sale), but like most said, it was not forgiving at all, or maybe my swing was not as good as I thought, plus the stock shaft (even at X Flex) just didn't agree with me, fast forward about 3 years and after the Trials, the SLDR is in the bag, the Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X is just that shaft I was looking for, the SLDR is now really predictable and long...I do hit the RFX once in a while on the range, still great but the SLDR is that much better for me, for now, time does fly by!!!!

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

While it's not the primary at the moment, despite all the bad press - I still can't get rid of my SLDR. The biggest problem it caused for me was not inconsistency, but rather I found out at the Trials that I had the loft set too high and list distance because of that. With the loft dialed down, it's actually still pretty competitive head and gets a lot of driving range use.

Time does fly!!

I played the setup I was fit for for about a month after the GT, M1 with Tour ADDi 7x.

Decided to try my Black Tie 7m3 in it one day and that setup hasn't left my bag since. Longest I've played one driver head by far with the M1, and with the Black Tie shaft it's the longest I've played one setup as well.

When's 2017 Geat Trials?? ????

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Time does fly!!

I played the setup I was fit for for about a month after the GT, M1 with Tour ADDi 7x.

Decided to try my Black Tie 7m3 in it one day and that setup hasn't left my bag since. Longest I've played one driver head by far with the M1, and with the Black Tie shaft it's the longest I've played one setup as well.

When's 2017 Geat Trials??

They are flying us all out to Colorado for the next one....

Didn't make the cut I guess?...

God! I wish! I need a golf Winter surprise!

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

Time does fly!!

When's 2017 Geat Trials??

They are flying us all out to Colorado for the next one....

Didn't make the cut I guess?...

God! I wish! I need a golf Winter surprise!

Colorado, count me in, the next time, if it does, the Gear trials, each person should stick with the one shaft that was recommended @ Miles of Golf, or are currently using, that would give a greater sample reading, driver head to driver head, there would not be as many variables.

Mine= Aldila tour green 60 s