2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

Would like to see some average golfers in your test group. One guy barely over a single-digit handicap doesn't give real life data to us mid to high handi's.

Not to be rude (this is my response as if this question was asked to me by my dad). The problem with higher handicaps in a test group like this, ESPECIALLY when there is a small degree of custom fitting going on is that your sessions would turn into a lesson instead of gaining actual data. Swinging inconsistently and striking the ball poorly doesn't help in finding any real result. Your winner would end up being whichever driver you happen to make a couple good swings in a row with.

The better the players, the easier we are able to tell if there is really a best head out there. At the end of the day this was the best way to conduct this test. One word of advice for the higher cappers if you haven't seen this 1 million times: practice a lot, take some lessons and then go get fit. Trackman data is useful for optimizing your potential of you are consistent but it won't take you from a 20 cap to a 12 on its own. If you want real data, you need to hit balls yourself. The higher your handicap, the more inconsistent your swing is. Honestly how would a 24 handicap tester benefit other 24 handicappers? What if he was swinging way over the top and hitting down 10* on it while popping everything up? That data wouldn't benefit anyone. I understand what you are saying but there is a fine line between gathering a lot of useful info and wasting a day gathering questionable info.

Were there any testers that started with too LOW spin and had to adjust equip to get more?

Very well stated.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbuzz, not too low spin but if I were testing lower lofts I may have gotten there. Normally launch gets too low before spin does so I hit a lot of higher lofted drivers. The LTD was the closest, my miss I call a "drop kick" which is so low spin it doesn't stay in the air. I'm curious to see what that miss is like with the cobra on the course.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Would like to see some average golfers in your test group. One guy barely over a single-digit handicap doesn't give real life data to us mid to high handi's.

Not to be rude (this is my response as if this question was asked to me by my dad). The problem with higher handicaps in a test group like this, ESPECIALLY when there is a small degree of custom fitting going on is that your sessions would turn into a lesson instead of gaining actual data. Swinging inconsistently and striking the ball poorly doesn't help in finding any real result. Your winner would end up being whichever driver you happen to make a couple good swings in a row with.

The better the players, the easier we are able to tell if there is really a best head out there. At the end of the day this was the best way to conduct this test. One word of advice for the higher cappers if you haven't seen this 1 million times: practice a lot, take some lessons and then go get fit. Trackman data is useful for optimizing your potential of you are consistent but it won't take you from a 20 cap to a 12 on its own. If you want real data, you need to hit balls yourself. The higher your handicap, the more inconsistent your swing is. Honestly how would a 24 handicap tester benefit other 24 handicappers? What if he was swinging way over the top and hitting down 10* on it while popping everything up? That data wouldn't benefit anyone. I understand what you are saying but there is a fine line between gathering a lot of useful info and wasting a day gathering questionable info.

Okay, I will play devil's advocate (there is no progress without some debate, right?). To show just how much of an advocate for the devil (in this case the 20+ handicaps with low SS and more inconsistent than most swings), I currently play to about a 4 and have a SS of around 115-120.

Couldn't there theoretically be a driver head out there that is better for these devils? Like "this is the most forgiving, highest launching, most confidence inspiring" driver for 20+ handicaps with slow SS? Isn't that a huge market that these OEMs would like to hit? Isn't that a huge percentage of golfers? Aren't there a lot of golfers like that here on this forum, searching for information just as much as the low handicap, high SS guys? Isn't it just a bit alienating to them to not even invite them, just to see what happens? Maybe indeed the results will be inconclusive. But maybe not?? Maybe you invite 4 high handicap dudes and they all love the same club? I realize there is a limitation with MOG staff and launch monitors and all that. And I understand the argument that they can't make consistent enough contact to get good Trackman results. But maybe there is one they actually hit better! Or maybe they just like it better, and other 20 handicaps would like to know that.

Overall, I think what some people on here have said is that the testing group was a bit narrow: 15 players with an index from 0.5 to 13.0, SS from 89.5 to 112.7. Maybe have 10 guys like that, 3 with higher handicaps, 2 with more swing speed. Great test, just broaden the group next time, see what happens.

Just a thought.

Just a thought.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

From the information I have gathered talking to friends in the industry... XXiO drivers are the most forgiving head you can get your hands on.

How many 20+ handicaps are looking for/ willing to spend $$$ on the latest and greatest tech? Even in this particular test group, you will find people talking about which drivers were giving them the best numbers on their mishits. If readers looked into that part of the equation they will get some of the answers they need. I think a lot of people come in here and ask questions without breaking down the data/ tester reviews themselves

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I believe the data just shows get fit and try everything. Course I would think high handicaps would have drivers like the Ping g30, callaway xr 16 and cobra f up higher on the list.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I agree, since the new G drivers are really easy to hit and very forgiving, XR16 Pro is surprisingly forgiving as well, but I believe that proper fitting beats all...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Yo Hayzoos, were the numbers really that extreme between one driver to the next? Reading yours things looked a little off.

I noticed the same thing, and while they did change quite, I think it's a bit extreme. You know as well as I do that Trackman we had that day in our group didn't quite catch everything.

One of the big surprises out of your testing and several others like Hayzoos is the success with such a low lofted driver. Do you tee the ball up particularly high and with a positive AoA?

DP! You've played with me before, so you have some idea how I swing. One big thing to mention regarding my swing and how I normally get to that +5/6 AoA is simply due to physics. I'm playing a 44.0" driver and I still play the ball pretty much straight off my left foot. With a club that much shorter than normal with the ball there, it would be almost impossible to hit down on the thing, but I bet Knudsen would be able to prove me wrong very quickly.

Regarding my LTD Pro, I'll be getting one, just waiting on something kinda cool that might happen with it. If it doesn't pan out, then I'll do the ordering myself and get one here soon. The season is about to get under way here any minute!!! It was almost 70* here today......

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Hayzoos would you just get the LTD Pro already!!!!! haha

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Yo Hayzoos, were the numbers really that extreme between one driver to the next? Reading yours things looked a little off.

I noticed the same thing, and while they did change quite, I think it's a bit extreme. You know as well as I do that Trackman we had that day in our group didn't quite catch everything.

One of the big surprises out of your testing and several others like Hayzoos is the success with such a low lofted driver. Do you tee the ball up particularly high and with a positive AoA?

DP! You've played with me before, so you have some idea how I swing. One big thing to mention regarding my swing and how I normally get to that +5/6 AoA is simply due to physics. I'm playing a 44.0" driver and I still play the ball pretty much straight off my left foot. With a club that much shorter than normal with the ball there, it would be almost impossible to hit down on the thing, but I bet Knudsen would be able to prove me wrong very quickly.

Regarding my LTD Pro, I'll be getting one, just waiting on something kinda cool that might happen with it. If it doesn't pan out, then I'll do the ordering myself and get one here soon. The season is about to get under way here any minute!!! It was almost 70* here today......

What might be the kind of cool thing that might happen with the LTD Pro?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I believe the data just shows get fit and try everything. Course I would think high handicaps would have drivers like the Ping g30, callaway xr 16 and cobra f up higher on the list.

Please. Everyone here has tour quality ball striking and is only a high cap because of poor putting:) I am not sure the foregiveness differences between the G LS and G or LTD and F6 are enough to change much.

Please. Everyone here has tour quality ball striking and is only a high cap because of poor putting:) I am not sure the foregiveness differences between the G LS and G or LTD and F6 are enough to change much.

Ummm..... Did you see my smash factor? Haha

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Hello Sir. Not sure that I picked up on the ball position but that makes complete sense. I did pick up on your drive being about 50 yards ahead though!

I was more impressed with the 3700rpm:) And we all know that when you become a low handicap, that your ball striking also ceases to be tour average it was when you were an 18.:)

Seriously I think you will find the driver needs of most people are pretty independant of handicap. I guess I have never felt that thing like the SFTec and the rest of the super foregiving drivers help much. The really bad swings are really bad swings and nothing helps much and on decent ones most clubs are foregiving enough (exception of some of the pro clubs).

It might be fun to figure out why people picked clubs (or why clubs worked for people) to see if certain swings (negative AOA, high spin, low spin,...) preferred certain clubs but I don't think we have remotely enough data for that.

I was more impressed with the 3700rpm:) And we all know that when you become a low handicap, that your ball striking also ceases to be tour average it was when you were an 18.:)

Seriously I think you will find the driver needs of most people are pretty independant of handicap. I guess I have never felt that thing like the SFTec and the rest of the super foregiving drivers help much. The really bad swings are really bad swings and nothing helps much and on decent ones most clubs are foregiving enough (exception of some of the pro clubs).

It might be fun to figure out why people picked clubs (or why clubs worked for people) to see if certain swings (negative AOA, high spin, low spin,...) preferred certain clubs but I don't think we have remotely enough data for that.

I think that's what many don't understand (at least maybe higher handicaps?) the "forgiving" in drivers are helping the slight heel and toe shots that the lower to mid handicaps will usually have as their miss. Nothing absolutely nothing will help the standard misses from the high handicaps which are extreme heel and toe hits.

Also, I think there was a YouTube reviewer (maybe cross field) who mentioned that wig the increasing of "forgiveness" and sweet spots the best place to hit a lot of these new drivers are a little high and slightly towards the toe. Again, not a toe hit but just toe side of center. Again, may be wrong but I could have sworn it was said somewhere after testing.

Forever Changing at this point.......

I think that's what many don't understand (at least maybe higher handicaps?) the "forgiving" in drivers are helping the slight heel and toe shots that the lower to mid handicaps will usually have as their miss. Nothing absolutely nothing will help the standard misses from the high handicaps which are extreme heel and toe hits.

Also, I think there was a YouTube reviewer (maybe cross field) who mentioned that wig the increasing of "forgiveness" and sweet spots the best place to hit a lot of these new drivers are a little high and slightly towards the toe. Again, not a toe hit but just toe side of center. Again, may be wrong but I could have sworn it was said somewhere after testing.

Pretty sure it was Crossfield who pointed out that the larger drivers that are considered "Game Improvement" lean towards shots coming off high on the toe.

Your post is dead on in my humble. I have a close friend who has a terrible swing. He has purchased so many drivers in an attempt to try to get better results completely ignoring the fact that if the swing is bad the results will remain pretty much the same. He improved a bit for a short time because his wife gave him a bunch of lessons for Christmas a couple of years ago. But once the lessons were over he stopped doing the drills and went right back to his old and bad habits. The worst part is that now and then he will get one out there and be convinced that he is onto something. Hard to convince him that he once again needs some lessons. And no new driver is going to fix what is ailing his swing.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Pretty sure it was Crossfield who pointed out that the larger drivers that are considered "Game Improvement" lean towards shots coming off high on the toe.

Your post is dead on in my humble. I have a close friend who has a terrible swing. He has purchased so many drivers in an attempt to try to get better results completely ignoring the fact that if the swing is bad the results will remain pretty much the same. He improved a bit for a short time because his wife gave him a bunch of lessons for Christmas a couple of years ago. But once the lessons were over he stopped doing the drills and went right back to his old and bad habits. The worst part is that now and then he will get one out there and be convinced that he is onto something. Hard to convince him that he once again needs some lessons. And no new driver is going to fix what is ailing his swing.

I used to be the same way. Now that my swing is a little better I notice how much better my "misses" fly compared to solid hits. Before my misses were just absolutely awful and I was like man I need more forgiveness haha. Now that my swing is a little better I notice where the forgiveness comes into play. Driver is still my Achilles heel but as some guy who was damn pretty good said, "it's a process" hahaha

Forever Changing at this point.......

In general I agree wth that. There is a difference (try something like a low hit on a SLDR versus a g25) but tends to be pretty mild. The exception is that some faults are pretty consistant even in poor swing that you can fit around. For example all the people leaving the face open (they alternated between big fade and super slice. A SFtec might get them to fade->big fade range).

What might be the kind of cool thing that might happen with the LTD Pro?

It's becoming less likely as I'm just getting impatient as the season around here is going to be starting soon, but it's possible the guy who builds it will be the same guy who builds clubs for really, REALLY good golfers.

You obviously didn't watch any of the swing videos...at least mine. I think Zak put it best. I was telling him I know I have an issue going across the line at the top (due to getting lazy and not turning, so it's more arms than anything) and his response was "across the line? What you talkin about John Daly?" Although I think my swing more resembles Phil without the majestic short game to go along with it :(

I'd agree though regarding the forgiveness factor. For people of our caliber (I'm a 6) the forgiveness between things like the G and the LTD aren't going to impact our game dramatically. Maybe the G is the outleir as I do think it's an incredibly forgiving driver and will suit a metric crap ton of people. I wanted to love it, but just flat out didn't hit the G well at all.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

This test was great and personally, I can see why Golfers with lower Handicaps were picked. However, I will say this...I can Drive with almost anyone and consistently shoot in the upper 80s due to a poor (okay really poor) short game. Usually, higher Handicap players have slower swing speeds & are definitely less consistent in terms of ball striking. There are exceptions for everything, but in an effort to get the "best testing conditions" available, I 100% agree on the way the test was conducted.

(Just next time think of me when you are picking the testing group :) :) :) :) :)) Ha.

Additionally, I'm really glad to see everyone enjoying their Drivers, making the fitting 100% worth it. I also think some of you who were just fitted and are already buying more stuff need to get your head examined!! (I kiiiiid). But seriously, great test and I love reading about success stories like this.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Somehow neither of the drivers I ordered have shown up and I've played 4 of the last 5 days, frustrating! I moved my tee time today back past the usual delivery time at my club in hopes one does.

I feel your pain. I was a car parts wh0re up until about last year and it was dreadful waiting for parts delivery.

Somehow neither of the drivers I ordered have shown up and I've played 4 of the last 5 days, frustrating! I moved my tee time today back past the usual delivery time at my club in hopes one does.

I feel your pain. I was a car parts wh0re up until about last year and it was dreadful waiting for parts delivery.

Same here waiting on a driver. Cobra LTD was ordered last week and still haven't even gotten the notification is shipped yet!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Sorry, no sympathy here :-)

I'd trade places with you in a second. I'd much rather be playing and waiting for my driver to show up, than have my new driver in hand and be waiting for a place to play to open up.

Oh well. One local course might open up 9 tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. Definitely be a record early opening for this part of the world so can't complain too much.

Same here waiting on a driver. Cobra LTD was ordered last week and still haven't even gotten the notification is shipped yet!

I'm on like 2.5 weeks with the cobra I think, that one went through DD's so shipped to my house and no shipping info unfortunately. The ping was ordered digital lofted so that can take some time but it was supposed to be here this week for sure. Fingers crossed it shows up about 30 minutes before I head off, played a bunch this week and G30 LST is still working great. My club opened today so I can do some solid testing as soon as they both come in.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I was excited just getting my driver shortened from 45.25" to 44.75". I can only imagine how excited you guys are for your brand new Drivers....I actually put a new grip on it as well because when they shortened it, they reused the grip and the butt end of it very sliding around enough for me to notice. Once it was in my head, it needed to be replaced.

I'd trade places with you in a second. I'd much rather be playing and waiting for my driver to show up, than have my new driver in hand and be waiting for a place to play to open up.

Oh well. One local course might open up 9 tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. Definitely be a record early opening for this part of the world so can't complain too much.

Stuart! Windham CC, Hoodkroft, Amherst CC, Candia Woods and a few others have been open. Certainly depending on where you are that may be an issue, but they are open!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I'm on like 2.5 weeks with the cobra I think, that one went through DD's so shipped to my house and no shipping info unfortunately. The ping was ordered digital lofted so that can take some time but it was supposed to be here this week for sure. Fingers crossed it shows up about 30 minutes before I head off, played a bunch this week and G30 LST is still working great. My club opened today so I can do some solid testing as soon as they both come in.

Man I must have got lucky. My order was placed on a Monday and arrived the following Tuesday. Maybe once in million years it actually helps to be a lefty?

Stuart! Windham CC, Hoodkroft, Amherst CC, Candia Woods and a few others have been open. Certainly depending on where you are that may be an issue, but they are open!

Thanks. Yes, those are a bit of a trip (I'm about an hour north west from Concord) but a group of us are planning a road trip down to Candia Woods tomorrow. One more local course should have 9 holes open today and another may open with temp greens so we're getting real close.

Hear any news from the S. Maine course? Ledges, Links at Outlook, etc.. I find myself down that way on occasion.

Not loving hearing about the delays on the LTD pro's. I ordered one from DD's today and asked about it. They mentioned it may just be a head cover issue (they can keep the hc).

But gave me an estimated shipping date of the 17th, which sounds like it would be a win. Esp. considering I ordered the HZRDUS 75 6.5, which also seems to be delayed everywhere.

BTW, the pricing at Dan's was awesome.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

As most may know I work in a Pro Shop as an Assistant pro and had a WRXer today recognize me from the Gear Trials haha

Imagine my surprise when a stranger says "Hey you're BruinsPats from GolfWRX!" It was pretty funny. Had a good conversation with the guy, small world!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole