2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

I hope next year the powers that be considers one shaft for each tester.

Might be fun as a one off. Have one guy with one shaft hit on all those different heads. Just to see how different the heads can be.

I think the great thing that set this test apart was that it brought in the variable of upgraded shafts. Tears me up that I couldn't go. Job well done fellas.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that could be an interesting control added to the mix. Were you thinking it to be one shaft model/weight, just different flexes for the entire group? Or each user gets assigned a shaft that they know works for them and they use that with every head?

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I think that could be an interesting control added to the mix. Were you thinking it to be one shaft model/weight, just different flexes for the entire group? Or each user gets assigned a shaft that they know works for them and they use that with every head?

I think Scratch and Pure are recommending that each player gets fitted for the shaft that works best for them before the trial, then using that same shaft model, weight and length for each head to get a pure baseline for the numbers for each head. Makes sense, since at that point the only variable would be the heads. It might be a good idea to get the heads weighted to the players optimal swingweight with that shaft installed as well. That would be nice to try next year. Although, this is the best and most comprehensive mass testing I've seen to date. I don't think they are trying to down this test, just making suggestions to possibly make it better for next year.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Between my final three drivers, plus my gamer, making it a total of four drivers, three of them had the same shaft; GD Tour AD-DI. The one other shaft was HAZDRUS Black.

The three heads with DI were my gamer G30 LS, XR16 and G LS. The odd man out was Cobra F6 with HAZRUS Black. We tested F6 with DI but found we needed a lower launching shaft with F6, hence we HZDRUS came in.

Now, the last sentence is what brings the big question in my mind - was this test to fit 15 guys of various swing speeds into the best driver (meaning head shaft combo) or was it to simply give numbers for every driver head on the market. If it was the latter, then yes, we should have used the same shaft in every head. However, if it was to find the best driver package, period... Then the test was conducted properly. Because, as most of us who have been fit for drivers already know, the best shaft for driver head A, may very well not be the best shaft for driver head B. Which is precisely what happened with me and F6.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I hit the AD DI 7x in 4-5 different heads, the rest were different, at the end Shawn put the Diamana WB D+ 70x in the M1 (my gamer is a WB D+ 72x), did really well, but the butt stiffness of the DI 7x gave me better accuracy and tighter dispersion, distance was about the same give or take a yard...feel wise, the WB "felt" better due to the softness at the butt end...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Might've missed it but grip size? We're the testers all in standard size? Myself I feel like I'm either going to launch the driver itself onto the range or feel as I'm creating to much forearm tension due to the small size.

This has been an incredible read thanks to the Wrx staff and to you the testers wish I'd drove over to watch firsthand now.

So I ordered that BB 7X, and had my hand on the button to order an M1/Fuji Pro73X... But, the GM at my local shop talked me off the ledge.

I'm going to put a Cally tip on the BB, and see how it compares to the D+ 70X in the GBB... No reason other than we got another 4" of the white stuff today, and I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!

So I ordered that BB 7X, and had my hand on the button to order an M1/Fuji Pro73X... But, the GM at my local shop talked me off the ledge.

I'm going to put a Cally tip on the BB, and see how it compares to the D+ 70X in the GBB... No reason other than we got another 4" of the white stuff today, and I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!

You just got fit and your switching already hahahaha Only on wrx!!!! :)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Might've missed it but grip size? We're the testers all in standard size? Myself I feel like I'm either going to launch the driver itself onto the range or feel as I'm creating to much forearm tension due to the small size.

All the MOG shafts had standard size grips (at least the ones I tried) but I typically use +1/32" and sometimes even midsize. When you add in the amount I was choking up on some of the clubs, the grip was getting a bit narrow. Fortunately, I had some padded gloves (the bionics - I use for practice sessions to help with my arthritis) that helped a lot so I don't think it had any impact on the results.

I think Scratch and Pure are recommending that each player gets fitted for the shaft that works best for them before the trial, then using that same shaft model, weight and length for each head to get a pure baseline for the numbers for each head. Makes sense, since at that point the only variable would be the heads. It might be a good idea to get the heads weighted to the players optimal swingweight with that shaft installed as well. That would be nice to try next year. Although, this is the best and most comprehensive mass testing I've seen to date. I don't think they are trying to down this test, just making suggestions to possibly make it better for next year.

It makes an assumption that you can pick a shaft in isolation. That is somewhat questionable.

You can do all sorts of tests. You can keep the head constant and use various shafts and see what effect they have. You can keep the shaft constant and see what effect they have. You can vary both shafts and heads and see what the best combo there is. It all depends on what you are trying to do. Personally I would like to see something like trackman combine scores (combo of distance and accuracy) to go along with the touchy feely stuff.

What some really needs to do is buy the made for and real shaft and do a blind hit.:)

I hit the same shaft the whole time!

I also hit the same shafts over and over in almost all heads available: Tour ADDI 7x and the Speeder 757

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

All the MOG shafts had standard size grips (at least the ones I tried) but I typically use +1/32" and sometimes even midsize. When you add in the amount I was choking up on some of the clubs, the grip was getting a bit narrow. Fortunately, I had some padded gloves (the bionics - I use for practice sessions to help with my arthritis) that helped a lot so I don't think it had any impact on the results.

I am also a midsize + wraps grip guy. The standard grips were a small issue with me but it is not the first time I have had that problem while testing clubs. After a handful of swings on standard grips I get adjusted although it is still not ideal

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

I am also a midsize + wraps grip guy. The standard grips were a small issue with me but it is not the first time I have had that problem while testing clubs. After a handful of swings on standard grips I get adjusted although it is still not ideal

I play with two additional wraps under my grips, like with other fittings I've done, I adjusted quickly and don't feel it was a factor, for me.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I think the trials were perfect.

The problem you might get with the one shaft idea is that a player might hit a head with perfect numbers but hate the look, feel and sound.

This is GolfWRX so I think we all know that the shaft is as important a part of the fitting process as finding the head itself.

Maybe find two groups of people. One group has a shaft that they love and will not give up. Just searching for the right head. The other group can be made up of those willing to try anything and everything.

I play with two additional wraps under my grips, like with other fittings I've done, I adjusted quickly and don't feel it was a factor, for me.

Midsize guy here also. Stupid thought just popped in my head. Would wearing two gloves and a glove on your usually bare hand help mimic the feel of a midsize grip when testing drivers with standard grips and shafts?

Sorry to say this again, but if I just look at the gold bar graph, it appear the m1 just blows all the other drivers away. It's very deceptive. The cobra King looks and appears to be totally average looking a the graph.

Look at the results. There is pretty much no difference between someones gold driver and someones bronze. See

http://www.golfwrx.c...-brian-knudson/ (not picking on him most are similiar)

a) 250/274/33R

b) 254/278/27.4L

c) 256/278/8.4L

Is there a meaningful difference between them? I would go no. I bet a lot of the 4-6th drivers were also about the same. You rapidly get to the point where you are measuring how much you like the look (confidence), feel (sound) which are somewhat personal and somewhat miss prefs.

We don't have the data on drivers 4-30 sadly

I think they limited it to the top 3 in the interest of being able to present the data in a form that is easy to view. This is what my dispersion diagram for the whole day looked like. Way too cluttered for the type of presentation that you'd want to do for this kind of article.

This scatter pattern looks a lot like Donald Trump's hair.

And the LTD Pro with AD DI 7x black is in! Along with a matching 3 wood :)

SiiiiicckkkK!!!!!

You are Woody Harrelson, I am Robert Redford, and that driver is Demi Moore. "I will give you one million dollars for one night with your [driver]."

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I must be the only tester with little dainty girl hands. I can't deal with larger than standard grips at all.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I must be the only tester with little dainty girl hands. I can't deal with larger than standard grips at all.

Dainty girl hands AND a 115 mph swing speed.... I'll trade ya!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

You go with your bad self!!

Looking forward to pegging it up soon and seeing those two nasty weapons in action!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Sweet, nice looking, hope they stay in the bag for a full season

On the subject of next years testers sticking with one specific shaft and changing out the heads only, makes sense to me,

the shaft that worked best for me Aldila tour green 65 s, maybe as Stuart mentioned, maybe a bit shorter shaft may work better for me.

Nelly, those are some real nice looking sticks there! Congrats on the new additions! I think the snowy weather here the past few days has made me lazy, I need to get some motivation to put an order in!

It's supposed to be in the 60s next week so you better get on that order!

DARN YOU!!!!

giphy.gif

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Nelly, those are some real nice looking sticks there! Congrats on the new additions! I think the snowy weather here the past few days has made me lazy, I need to get some motivation to put an order in!

It's supposed to be in the 60s next week so you better get on that order!

DARN YOU!!!!

giphy.gif

60s and green grass all next week for me! Sorry boss :golfer: