2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

Nelly, those are some real nice looking sticks there! Congrats on the new additions! I think the snowy weather here the past few days has made me lazy, I need to get some motivation to put an order in!

It's supposed to be in the 60s next week so you better get on that order!

DARN YOU!!!!

giphy.gif

60s and green grass all next week for me! Sorry boss :golfer:

You and me both.... Headed back to SoCal Wednesday for 5 days of fun in the sun and golf on green grass!!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First round with the King LTD was a bit of a mixed bag. I hit it really well the first few times, with one toe hook that didn't turn out too bad. I started with it set in the 7* setting, and it looked like a lower flight, without much spin. I hit a couple 300+ GPS verified, but there was some significant roll involved. I hit a tee shot on a par 4 where I hit a little cut at the edge of a bunker that I thought I would normally be able to carry, but it caught the sand, and it wasn't really close to getting over. So, I switched the setting to 7.5 fade, and hit a pretty horrendous slice on the next hole. That lasted just that hole, and I switched it to 7.5 neutral for the rest of the round. I hit it ok the rest of the way except for one that was all me high and on the toe, and wouldn't have been good with anything. The thing that seems might be a deal breaker is if I sacrifice significant carry. It's fine down here in Texas if I'm hitting low bullets, but it's usually a lot softer conditions up in Michigan, so an extra 10-20 yards of carry is a big deal. So, no questions answered really. It's still going to be a matter of testing stuff on the course back home.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Installed a Callaway tip on the BB7X, and will give it a try in the sim tomorrow. Real golf on Sunday about an hour north (we got another inch of snow today here). It'll be my real first round of golf since Winter hit. can't wait!!! Most likely will have the D+ combo unless the BB is a NO BRAINER on the sim tomorrow.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

First round with the King LTD was a bit of a mixed bag. I hit it really well the first few times, with one toe hook that didn't turn out too bad. I started with it set in the 7* setting, and it looked like a lower flight, without much spin. I hit a couple 300+ GPS verified, but there was some significant roll involved. I hit a tee shot on a par 4 where I hit a little cut at the edge of a bunker that I thought I would normally be able to carry, but it caught the sand, and it wasn't really close to getting over. So, I switched the setting to 7.5 fade, and hit a pretty horrendous slice on the next hole. That lasted just that hole, and I switched it to 7.5 neutral for the rest of the round. I hit it ok the rest of the way except for one that was all me high and on the toe, and wouldn't have been good with anything. The thing that seems might be a deal breaker is if I sacrifice significant carry. It's fine down here in Texas if I'm hitting low bullets, but it's usually a lot softer conditions up in Michigan, so an extra 10-20 yards of carry is a big deal. So, no questions answered really. It's still going to be a matter of testing stuff on the course back home.

I was pretty shocked you guys were all hitting it on such low lofts but attributed it to SS. I'll be starting out at 11*

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I was pretty shocked you guys were all hitting it on such low lofts but attributed it to SS. I'll be starting out at 11*

The numbers when I lofted up to 8.5* weren't encouraging last week. Ball speed was down, and spin jumped, too. G30 LST was much better when I set the King higher than 7.5 (oddly, there is no 8* setting).

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Updated report on Srixon....

We are 27 holes into the tourney. It is a 9 hole match play event; 10 points on the line per match. One for each hole played plus one more for winning the side.

My partner and I are in 2nd by one point right now. I have only missed one fairway with the Z and it was still in play. And the length has been incredible. On one par 5 today playing only 450 I was only 184 from the green on the drive. Home in two and missed the eagle but easy birdie.

On another TIGHT par 4, everyone else hit anything other than driver. I pulled my driver on this tight little par 4 playing only 340. I was only 80 out on the drive and dead center.

I am getting distances I have NEVER accomplished before. Each drive, even off center hits, are solid as a rock - just wonderful feeling. And the consistency is exactly what I had hoped based on my fitting session with Brian.

For me, quite literally, this driver is a winner. Let's hope that in tomorrow's finals we can overcome that one point deficit and take home the win. I know that I can pull driver with TOTAL confidence and put myself into some good scoring positions. It's a handicapped tourney so some of the guys we are up against are going off the tee with a stroke advantage - nice to know my Z is helping me to make up that little issue.

Brian - if you are reading this thread, thanks. Sincerely.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

One of the big surprises out of your testing and several others like Hayzoos is the success with such a low lofted driver. Do you tee the ball up particularly high and with a positive AoA?

I applied the recommended changes to my driver (extension, lead tape towards the toe and an extra wrap of tape under the grip), will test it out next weekend, hit it at the store's monitor, numbers were:

Club: RFX 10.5*

Shaft: Diamana WB D+ 72X at 44.75"

SS: 108

Ball Speed:159.8

Spin: 2232

Launch: 11.7*

Carry: 274

Total: 292

Feels a lot more solid, hitting it with a bit of a cut, thanks Shawn, hope to put it in play next weekend...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Played 9 holes this evening and was smoking the driver. Wet fairways and almost zero roll, had 150 in on one of our longest par 4s plays about 450. Carried it roughly 300, unreal feel too with the ADDI 7x

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

One of the big surprises out of your testing and several others like Hayzoos is the success with such a low lofted driver. Do you tee the ball up particularly high and with a positive AoA?

I have a pretty neutral AoA. I yee it up a pretty normal height for a modern driver--half a ball above the crown if the head is on the ground. I hover it at address. The reason the low lofted drivers give me good numbers is that they help cut spin, and for some reason, I spin it a lot, despite not having a negative AoA.

What might be an issue is the low launch. That might not be ideal for how I usually play.

Am I the only one who finds it funny how many testers fit into a Tour Ad Di after the thread declaring it as the most overrated shaft? Ha

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

I hit the same shaft the whole time!

I just had a chance to look at your numbers.... Pretty interesting that the G got the gold but LTD appears to have more potential.... You ordered the LTD right? How is it working out? Might have to give it a try after hearing so many positive reviews from guys I trust. What didn't you like about the M1?

Here's my newest, some per our fitting, a new Taylor Made W/ Graphite design Tour AD DI-6s @ 45 inches long.

And with some new instruction and stretching exercises increased clubhead speed (ball speed sucked they only had old btone j40 drivers there at the golfshow) and a lower launch angles.

Not to be a debbie downer but having done a Bridgestone ball fitting myself and seen others do it as well, they use one of the least reliable launch monitors I have ever seen. It seems to inflate club head speed a good amount (mine was recording 126 mph, when on trackman I am around 113 average and my highest ever is 120 swinging out of my shoes).

Here's my newest, some per our fitting, a new Taylor Made W/ Graphite design Tour AD DI-6s @ 45 inches long.

And with some new instruction and stretching exercises increased clubhead speed (ball speed sucked they only had old btone j40 drivers there at the golfshow) and a lower launch angles.

Not to be a debbie downer but having done a Bridgestone ball fitting myself and seen others do it as well, they use one of the least reliable launch monitors I have ever seen. It seems to inflate club head speed a good amount (mine was recording 126 mph, when on trackman I am around 113 average and my highest ever is 120 swinging out of my shoes).

Had the same results after the show, stopping in at Golfsmith of Novi, on their Flightscope monitors plus or minus 2 mph,, hitting a TM M1

I hit the same shaft the whole time!

I just had a chance to look at your numbers.... Pretty interesting that the G got the gold but LTD appears to have more potential.... You ordered the LTD right? How is it working out? Might have to give it a try after hearing so many positive reviews from guys I trust. What didn't you like about the M1?

Both drivers are supposed to be delivered any day. I've been grabbing the LTD setup at miles whenever I go hit balls and it's continually been really good, I thought in the trials it was flying too low but the numbers that are posted aren't all that bad. We're about 3 days away from some courses opening and ~10 from my CC. My club also got the newest flightscope so I'm planning on taking both in there, usually only trust trackman numbers though and haven't had a chance yet to see how good this unit is. Should definitely know a lot more in ~2 weeks, winter sucks.

M1 isn't bad, just wasn't any longer on course and I figured it couldn't be more forgiving than the g30 LST. I've had a 460 with a rogue since fall of last year and confirmed good for good it was even with the g30 at best, my brother has it in the bag. I liked the two tone look of the M1 more than the Nike, the flat black part of the Nike looks like they ran out of paint although probably doesn't have as many cosmetic issues as M1.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Round 2 with the King LTD is in the books, and I'm definitely more encouraged by today's results, though it was a very small sample size. The course I played today is 7150 yards on the card, though I'd knock 200-300 off of that where the tees were. Despite the length, there's a lot of holes where the fairway ends or narrows significantly at about 250-260 yards, so driver was only a consideration on about 6 holes. I played it in the 7.5 neutral setting all day, and the trajectory was improved compared to a couple days ago. I can sometimes get my upper body coming forward at the top of the backswing, which results in a descending AoA, and needing to save shots with my hands, and that often results in the kind of misses I was seeing. I hit a couple of real monster drives (for me) with it today. 290 on a hole that went about 30 feet uphill from the tee, and a wind aided one that went 350 (SkyCaddie verified)--we won't talk about how I had a 6 iron into that par 5 for my second shot and still had to sink a 12 footer to save par.

Anyway, what I saw today was the kind of height I'm used to seeing, and it seemed like the distance it was carrying was as good or better as I'll see with the G30 LST. I think the P9003x for that driver is sitting in my office, so I'll be getting that shafted up, and hopefully be able to compare on the course in a week or so.

Ok, so the weekend tourney results.

8 flights with 8 teams per flight. We won our flight which put us into the finals. And we made it deep but a bad chip did us in - not a drive. The Z was money all weekend long. I told my partner "We need to keep honors because I can hit my driver and it will intimidate." It did.

Tight par 4's. Long par 5's. Did not matter. I pulled it with confidence over and over. Only one really bad drive all weekend - all me. Was tired and duck hooked one but even that drive was long. (Just way left - but still in play) I had three eagle putts. (Thanks Z!) I drove to the edge of one par 4 downwind. (Never been there before!)

Because the fairways were hard as a rock it was awesome seeing how the ball flew high, hit, and released just as Brian said it would.

The finals were also amazing in another way. All of the teams and their families followed us as a gallery. When I chipped in for a birdie on 10 they went nuts. I can see how the pros could get addicted to that! (Was the chip of a lifetime - really lucky) Was just an awesome weekend!!!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Ok, so the weekend tourney results.

8 flights with 8 teams per flight. We won our flight which put us into the finals. And we made it deep but a bad chip did us in - not a drive. The Z was money all weekend long. I told my partner "We need to keep honors because I can hit my driver and it will intimidate." It did.

Tight par 4's. Long par 5's. Did not matter. I pulled it with confidence over and over. Only one really bad drive all weekend - all me. Was tired and duck hooked one but even that drive was long. (Just way left - but still in play) I had three eagle putts. (Thanks Z!) I drove to the edge of one par 4 downwind. (Never been there before!)

Because the fairways were hard as a rock it was awesome seeing how the ball flew high, hit, and released just as Brian said it would.

The finals were also amazing in another way. All of the teams and their families followed us as a gallery. When I chipped in for a birdie on 10 they went nuts. I can see how the pros could get addicted to that! (Was the chip of a lifetime - really lucky) Was just an awesome weekend!!!

so glad that you have a happy ending. many of us get fitted but can't take it to the course.

I had my first experience with my new driver and missed my first 3 badly because I didn't have confidence. Next one went into a fairway bunker and then proceeded to hit 9 fairways in a row! I missed the last fairway because I was so confident and try to swing out of my shoes! lol

I believe the theme of this thread is to get tested by a competent fitter that has more than the stock shafts! I have been following this thread religiously and can't wait to hear the follow up story of all the testers!

Well the Cobra has been ordered! Was told the HZRDUS 75 6.5 was on back order so I ordered it with the UST Chrome+ 7F5. Since I have the HZRDUS at home, a quick adapter swap will be all that I need to get that on the course. I think I will also be dropping the GBB in order to get an XR16 Pro so I can get two of my top 3 on the course. The more I look at the numbers now I really think the XR has potential for me.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Like hearing the real world results, keep it up gents!

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

king ltd won .......

separating the king ltd and the pro is silly ....its the exact same driver. no "tech" is different...

the only difference is loft and face angle....

Separating these to drivers is like separating The M1 9.5 vs the m1 10.5.......

super dumb.......

Respectfully disagree.

As it turned out I needed more loft. The LTD offers this. The Pro does not. Not having both available during the testing would have negated one or the other from some of the testers. And, to confirm that 10, on the Pro, simply would not be enough even when set open for me, I did hit it. Just as some of the guys selected the Pro also his the LTD.

I believe I overheard a conversation about these two drivers having "similar tech but not exactly the same". I am not sure what they were referring to but I do know the LTD earned one of my metals while the Pro did not and could not.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I don't agree they were the same either - the different face angle alone warrants the separation as it can provide a very different bias to the performance. But even if it was true, the real bottom line is that, for whatever reason, it was Cobra that made the decision to name them differently and market them as different models and to different players with different needs.

Would like to see some average golfers in your test group. One guy barely over a single-digit handicap doesn't give real life data to us mid to high handi's.

If you've read the thread or followed at all...there's a specific reason there aren't and "mid to high handi's" in the test group.

I'll go ahead and assume that you didn't read or follow, just want to complain, and want someone to do the "work" for you. Here you go.

Mid to high handicap golfers typically can't consistently hit the direct vicinity of the center of the club face. In order to eliminate as many variables as possible, handicaps with consistent contact rates (ie lower handicaps) were selected.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

Would like to see some average golfers in your test group. One guy barely over a single-digit handicap doesn't give real life data to us mid to high handi's.

Not to be rude (this is my response as if this question was asked to me by my dad). The problem with higher handicaps in a test group like this, ESPECIALLY when there is a small degree of custom fitting going on is that your sessions would turn into a lesson instead of gaining actual data. Swinging inconsistently and striking the ball poorly doesn't help in finding any real result. Your winner would end up being whichever driver you happen to make a couple good swings in a row with.

The better the players, the easier we are able to tell if there is really a best head out there. At the end of the day this was the best way to conduct this test. One word of advice for the higher cappers if you haven't seen this 1 million times: practice a lot, take some lessons and then go get fit. Trackman data is useful for optimizing your potential of you are consistent but it won't take you from a 20 cap to a 12 on its own. If you want real data, you need to hit balls yourself. The higher your handicap, the more inconsistent your swing is. Honestly how would a 24 handicap tester benefit other 24 handicappers? What if he was swinging way over the top and hitting down 10* on it while popping everything up? That data wouldn't benefit anyone. I understand what you are saying but there is a fine line between gathering a lot of useful info and wasting a day gathering questionable info.

Were there any testers that started with too LOW spin and had to adjust equip to get more?

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Maybe I'm missing the graph, but are there not numbers for each player using each driver to compare?

Sorry to say this again, but if I just look at the gold bar graph, it appear the m1 just blows all the other drivers away. It's very deceptive. The cobra King looks and appears to be totally average looking a the graph.

Look at the results. There is pretty much no difference between someones gold driver and someones bronze. See

http://www.golfwrx.c...-brian-knudson/ (not picking on him most are similiar)

a) 250/274/33R

b) 254/278/27.4L

c) 256/278/8.4L

Is there a meaningful difference between them? I would go no. I bet a lot of the 4-6th drivers were also about the same. You rapidly get to the point where you are measuring how much you like the look (confidence), feel (sound) which are somewhat personal and somewhat miss prefs.

I agree with these guys. Design of the Trial was great but summary of the data leaves something to be desired. How about an average score for each driver based on trackman results (combining distance and accuracy)? The whole gold-silver-bronze medal thing distorts the rankings.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2