2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

Another important fact to bear in mind. Distance was important but not as much, to me and the others in my group, as were consistency, feel, and accuracy. The Srixon was long but did not blow away the others distance wise. It took my Gold because I loved the dispersion, it felt awesome, and the classic looks appealed to me.

Both the LTD and the XR16 were incredible drivers. For me the Z355 performed better.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For next years. Can we see some big hitters in the group? 115mph + would love to see the data and shaft combos, tipping ect for a group like that added to the mix.

Surprised they found 15 posters who couldn't get 115+!!!

I will say that at my last driver fitting, I was swinging just over 115. I was a little surprised that I could only get it up to 110 mph max, but I guess thats what happens when its February in Michigan lol. I think bringing in a couple of big swingers from warmer states could be the answer

Even as someone who participated in this experience, I'm overwhelmed by how awesome the data is presented here!! Honestly its still awesome to go through and read everything in the article.

When going through the testing process we all had a chance to hang out and chat ( which by the way was a HUGE amount of fun since were all a bunch of crazy golf equipment nerds haha ) , but it was difficult to see how the testing was going for each other and find out what the final results were, since we were in our swing speed groups and eating and everything so seeing a compilation of everything is just as fun to read for me.

I could not agree more... I was just getting ready to post this same thing!

Even though I was there for ten hours, there was action in three bays with 14 other guys... It was impossible to keep up... Not to mention tons of fun!

I just finished reading everyone ones profile, not only was a great read full of fantastic data, but it was also exciting to read all the details about all my new golf freak friends!

Again, THANK YOU to Rich, Zak, Rob, Andrew, Aaron and the entire WRX and Miles Team for this wonderful opportunity and its even more exciting to share it with WRX community!

GBone,

You and I have similar swing speeds, and I'm seriously considering the Ping G LS-Tec with AD-DI6-S shaft (your choice). Is there some reason why you chose to go with a lower loft (8.4 degrees digital) versus a 10.5 degree head? I know you had fitters present, so it would seem to me they would try to get a little higher launch to increase your carry distance. Your logic might help with my choice of lofts. Thanks, Dave

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

For next years. Can we see some big hitters in the group? 115mph + would love to see the data and shaft combos, tipping ect for a group like that added to the mix.

I will say that at my last driver fitting, I was swinging just over 115. I was a little surprised that I could only get it up to 110 mph max, but I guess thats what happens when its February in Michigan lol. I think bringing in a couple of big swingers from warmer states could be the answer

This is so true, I normally swing around 108 at the low end and 112 when going after it, and could not get over 104 for average, there were a few 107-109 but for the most part in the 103-105 range...that being said, I went to out local area fitter and on the GC2 I was in the 109-112 SS, oh well, I had a great time and will do it all over again, everyone was great to hang out with...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

This is so true, I normally swing around 108 at the low end and 112 when going after it, and could not get over 104 for average, there were a few 107-109 but for the most part in the 103-105 range...that being said, I went to out local area fitter and on the GC2 I was in the 109-112 SS, oh well, I had a great time and will do it all over again, everyone was great to hang out with...

So glad to read that Luis! My norm is 93 or so. I figured the layers and the cold hindered my normal speed slightly.

But, for those who might say that this negates the results or taints them it was high 70's here Sunday afternoon and I was booming my Z incredibly well. Long and consistent! Pretty sure speed was up to low 90's. Boomed one against the wind to 260 and it felt SO awesome. I really hope other members out there give this hidden jewel of a driver a go.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Me too, I thought I was the only golfer on golfwrx.com that actually had limited swing speed ability… where are all those 125-140 mph swingers? lol. :superman2: :telephone: :slow_en:

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

So glad to read that Luis! My norm is 93 or so. I figured the layers and the cold hindered my normal speed slightly.

But, for those who might say that this negates the results or taints them it was high 70's here Sunday afternoon and I was booming my Z incredibly well. Long and consistent! Pretty sure speed was up to low 90's. Boomed one against the wind to 260 and it felt SO awesome. I really hope other members out there give this hidden jewel of a driver a go.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that got unexpected low swing speeds.

I know, let's blame it on trackman being off - or maybe it's a Michigan thing. It certainly couldn't be us :-)

Yeah, I played the last 2 weekends and according to Trackman I would carry from 245-250 and total would be 275-280s, we have some holes marked with distances and I was easily over the 270 carry and 290s total driving, but I have to agree, we had a few layers of clothing that may or may not obstructed the swing...still my iron shots are the strength of my game so scored well both days 75 and 73)...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Or move the fitting to a warmer state! Happen to me before getting fit in cold weather. Once I got home the setup was completely different than what I needed. Big difference swinging in layers and cold weather vs normal playing conditions.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I was actually pleasantly surprised at my speed, considering that I had only hit balls about 3 times in the month prior to the Trials. I thought I might struggle to crack 110, and I got up to 115+ on several swings throughout the day. Still a far cry from my first ever launch monitor experience about 10 years ago (also at Miles of golf, but in the Vector monitor days) when I was swinging 125+. I do actually have an idea of where the ball is going now, though, so I guess it's a decent tradeoff.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I don't qualify for the 125+ :( :( :( But if you need someone around 120 count me in! (Come to think of it, count me in any which way!!)

Other than being in awe at the numbers, what would be the point of looking at 130+ mph swingers? That makes up like, 0.005% of all golfers.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Even as someone who participated in this experience, I'm overwhelmed by how awesome the data is presented here!! Honestly its still awesome to go through and read everything in the article.

When going through the testing process we all had a chance to hang out and chat ( which by the way was a HUGE amount of fun since were all a bunch of crazy golf equipment nerds haha ) , but it was difficult to see how the testing was going for each other and find out what the final results were, since we were in our swing speed groups and eating and everything so seeing a compilation of everything is just as fun to read for me.

Even though I was there for ten hours, there was action in three bays with 14 other guys... It was impossible to keep up... Not to mention tons of fun!

I just finished reading everyone ones profile, not only was a great read full of fantastic data, but it was also exciting to read all the details about all my new golf freak friends!

Again, THANK YOU to Rich, Zak, Rob, Andrew, Aaron and the entire WRX and Miles Team for this wonderful opportunity and its even more exciting to share it with WRX community!

GBone,

You and I have similar swing speeds, and I'm seriously considering the Ping G LS-Tec with AD-DI6-S shaft (your choice). Is there some reason why you chose to go with a lower loft (8.4 degrees digital) versus a 10.5 degree head? I know you had fitters present, so it would seem to me they would try to get a little higher launch to increase your carry distance. Your logic might help with my choice of lofts. Thanks, Dave

Dave,

Last year I played 9.6 degree digitally lofted G30 LS with DI6 stiff shaft. We always felt it launched a little low, but going to 10 or 10.5 didn't really help my results much.

During the Gear Trials, as you you mentioned, my winner was G LS with DI6 stiff, at 9.6 degrees, not digitally lofted. I already had a G LS digitally lofted 9 degree head ordered from Ping before the trials, so when it came in, we put it on Trackman. To our surprise we found the digital headed launched higher than the non digital head, often the opposite is true. So after some tinkering and testing we found 8.4 worked best in the digital G LS. It launched higher than my G30 LS and with less spin... deadly combo!

Regarding the 10.5 head - For me, the 10.5 head in both G LS and G30 LS always launched too high and spun to much. We tried with lower launching shafts than DI; such as Ahina, Rogue, etc; yet never got great results.

Last thought, my fitter mentioned that they are seeing G LS launching higher than G30 LS for most folks. That has been true for me and another gentlemen I golf with.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Last thought, my fitter mentioned that they are seeing G LS launching higher than G30 LS for most folks. That has been true for me and another gentlemen I golf with.

I saw the same thing with my short fitting this past weekend compared to my numbers with the G LST from the Gear Trials. The G actually launches a little too high for me. If I end up playing a Ping driver this year, it's going to be the G30 LST

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Several members have been asking why high handicaps were not involved. This is only a guess but it is founded on one of my playing partners.

In the first place he is painfully inconsistent. One shot dead online and the next three who knows where. Would be really hard to gauge the results when every drive is going in a completely different direction.

But, and perhaps this is even more important, my buddy has no clue when it comes to the true tech side of the game. All he knows is tee it up, swing hard, and hope it works this time.

Granted Trackman might still assist in getting some control over the cacophony that is his swing but that's my whole point. While we all benefitted from the incredible science and technology, everyone invited had a consistent swing and a solid base knowledge level of the mechanics behind making good contact.

No offense meant to anyone carrying a higher handicap. Just my take on how things went. I can't imagine my buddy trying to gain consistency and net some valid results when there are times he whiffs the ball. I guess it would depend on why their cap is high but, at least in my buddy's case, it is an inconsistent swing pattern along with poor choices in course management.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Sorry to say this again, but if I just look at the gold bar graph, it appear the m1 just blows all the other drivers away. It's very deceptive. The cobra King looks and appears to be totally average looking a the graph.

Look at the results. There is pretty much no difference between someones gold driver and someones bronze. See

http://www.golfwrx.c...-brian-knudson/ (not picking on him most are similiar)

a) 250/274/33R

b) 254/278/27.4L

c) 256/278/8.4L

Is there a meaningful difference between them? I would go no. I bet a lot of the 4-6th drivers were also about the same. You rapidly get to the point where you are measuring how much you like the look (confidence), feel (sound) which are somewhat personal and somewhat miss prefs.

If they maxed a guy's numbers (he can only swing so well) then beyond that it always comes down to the x-factors you mention above. Looks, feel, sound, shape, feedback, ball flight. They all factor into how much you like a driver and therefore effect how well you will play with said driver.

The point I am making is that the difference between 3 gold medals and 3 bronze medals is likely zero. If you calculate out confidence intervals, I expect that there would be limited mathematical difference between the top half dozen clubs (i.e. some clubs don't fit people).

There is nothing wrong with picking a club based on things like looks and sound once you have narrowed the field down to what works for you. But it is is important to realize that it is pretty much all personal preference.

I saw the same thing with my short fitting this past weekend compared to my numbers with the G LST from the Gear Trials. The G actually launches a little too high for me. If I end up playing a Ping driver this year, it's going to be the G30 LST

What is "too high?"

What is "too high?"

Do you realize how golden this question really is?

I had to raise my loft during the trials. I honestly thought this would lead to the ball heading up instead of going out. Turns out that there is a very fine line and the key to better distance and a more consistent result is finding the optimum elevation based on the angle the ball leaves the face. (as I recall) In my case 12 degrees is awesome. 11.5 still works. Anything less and I am losing distance and control because the ball is coming off too low. Anything more and I am going "too high" - the ball isn't going off the face at the best angle.

There was a LOT of science to this whole process. More than I ever imagined and the results I am getting now (real course, not just Trackman) are amazing. I was always able to control my ball - nice little draw and I could aim a hare right and bring it directly dead center. But it turned out I was leaving a LOT of yardage out of the whole equation. Now I'm not. Why? Because I am hitting it high enough to get the best results but not so high that I am getting more air time than actual yardage.

Awesome question as I said. I really hope this helps explain it a bit. There are others who were there who knew a bunch more about the process than me. But my fundamental understanding and takeaway is above.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

What is "too high?"

Max height was 130-140. I like to keep it more around 120. The way I spin it, if it gets up higher than that, it'll cost me distance and can lead to the ball getting pushed offline by the wind. One of the big things I liked about the G30 LST last year was how infrequently my drives got shoved by the wind, compared to the G25 I'd played the previous year and a half or so.

What is "too high?"

I had to raise my loft during the trials. I honestly thought this would lead to the ball heading up instead of going out. Turns out that there is a very fine line and the key to better distance and a more consistent result is finding the optimum elevation based on the angle the ball leaves the face. (as I recall) In my case 12 degrees is awesome. 11.5 still works. Anything less and I am losing distance and control because the ball is coming off too low. Anything more and I am going "too high" - the ball isn't going off the face at the best angle.

There was a LOT of science to this whole process. More than I ever imagined and the results I am getting now (real course, not just Trackman) are amazing. I was always able to control my ball - nice little draw and I could aim a hare right and bring it directly dead center. But it turned out I was leaving a LOT of yardage out of the whole equation. Now I'm not. Why? Because I am hitting it high enough to get the best results but not so high that I am getting more air time than actual yardage.

Awesome question as I said. I really hope this helps explain it a bit. There are others who were there who knew a bunch more about the process than me. But my fundamental understanding and takeaway is above.

Great insight. What name is your player profile?

What is "too high?"

Great insight. What name is your player profile?

Jim Wilson.

And thanks. : )

Just my take on how things went.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Sounds good. I know you love that Srixon, but in looking at your numbers I definitely think you had the best with the King LTD. At your ball speed, I would much rather have you carry it further to lead to that total distance. But it's about your dispersion and comfort, and that's what you probably went with.

GBone,

Dave,

Last year I played 9.6 degree digitally lofted G30 LS with DI6 stiff shaft. We always felt it launched a little low, but going to 10 or 10.5 didn't really help my results much.

During the Gear Trials, as you you mentioned, my winner was G LS with DI6 stiff, at 9.6 degrees, not digitally lofted. I already had a G LS digitally lofted 9 degree head ordered from Ping before the trials, so when it came in, we put it on Trackman. To our surprise we found the digital headed launched higher than the non digital head, often the opposite is true. So after some tinkering and testing we found 8.4 worked best in the digital G LS. It launched higher than my G30 LS and with less spin... deadly combo!

Regarding the 10.5 head - For me, the 10.5 head in both G LS and G30 LS always launched too high and spun to much. We tried with lower launching shafts than DI, Ahina, Rogue, etc; yet never got great results.

Ditto. You nailed it for me too. exactly the same thing for me.

Sounds good. I know you love that Srixon, but in looking at your numbers I definitely think you had the best with the King LTD. At your ball speed, I would much rather have you carry it further to lead to that total distance. But it's about your dispersion and comfort, and that's what you probably went with.

Believe me I love the King. It was the feel and the tight dispersion that led to my choice. The King felt pretty darned good. The Z felt incredible. (Still does by the way)

You nailed it though. In the end it becomes a personal choice of sorts. I love the Cobra brand and zero bias went into my final three and winner. The tight and predictable results sold me. Now that I own one it's also notably very high quality. (Not that others aren't) First tourney this weekend. A three day match play comp - a great real test for it!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

So was it a requisite to be a Caucasian male in order to be selected as a tester?.....just sayin. :taunt:

race/ethnicity was not on the list of questions we were asked as part of the application process.

So all the applications with Caitlyn, Hernandez, Wong, Sally, Gurdeep, Jamal, Choi, Linda, Pedro, etc were "accidentally" lost in the process? :yahoo:

So I ordered that BB 7X, and had my hand on the button to order an M1/Fuji Pro73X... But, the GM at my local shop talked me off the ledge.

I'm going to put a Cally tip on the BB, and see how it compares to the D+ 70X in the GBB... No reason other than we got another 4" of the white stuff today, and I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

So was it a requisite to be a Caucasian male in order to be selected as a tester?.....just sayin. :taunt:

race/ethnicity was not on the list of questions we were asked as part of the application process.

So all the applications with Caitlyn, Hernandez, Wong, Sally, Gurdeep, Jamal, Choi, Linda, Pedro, etc were "accidentally" lost in the process? :yahoo:

The only applications "lost" in the process, from what I was told having arrived first and having a little time to chat with some of the GolfWrx folks, were those of members who constantly sought opportunities to cause issues and keep the mods busy.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Very interesting to read through this. Still really shocked that collectively Nike didn't make an appearance in anyone's too 3 haha. Love that cobra dos though.

Very cool day it sounds like and happy to see such a great test done

The Vapor Flex was one guy's #3 pick

Very interesting to read through this. Still really shocked that collectively Nike didn't make an appearance in anyone's too 3 haha. Love that cobra dos though.

Very cool day it sounds like and happy to see such a great test done

The Vapor Flex was one guy's #3 pick

I liked the Nike but just not as much as my top 3. It was in top 5 though. Definitely an attention getter.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

What is the testing criteria for this again? I don't want to read 30+ pages.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x