Chipping, Rule of 12, If you don't know what that is watch vid!!

Yrrdead

So I saw this in Pepsiduck's thread where I believe that Drew was talking about it. Now I really liked the idea presented in the video but travel, rain and work conspired to prevent me from really giving it a go but now that I have two rounds using it I am 100% sold.

What I really want to know is why this isn't basic instruction? I mean this is the type of stuff that would benefit a large % of golfers and it isn't like it is/was new. I just don't understand how a huge golf geek like myself who has a serious addiction to print (both real and digital) had never heard of this.

So a big thank you to Drew and Pepsi for turning me onto this method, I will now also be hunting for a copy of The Short Way to Lower Scoring at the used book stores.

TLDR; Chipping method for those without a ton of practice time w/ video

[media=]

[/media]

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I have definitely been guilty of not using many clubs around the green. Having been playing golf for over 25 years I too have never heard this approach. I have always gone by feel on the few occasions I don't use a sw or lw. I can't wait to give this a try

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

Yep. Used to be known as the Rule of 11 (I think he even mentions it in this vid), and can be tied back to Paul Runyan, I think.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Yep. Used to be known as the Rule of 11 (I think he even mentions it in this vid), and can be tied back to Paul Runyan, I think.

Here's a useful graphic from Runyan's video 'The Short Game to Lower Scores.' If employing this method it could dramatically reduce the time required to decide which club you need to use.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]
  • Thanks 1

I just recently went back to this method. Its been working great as my scrambling % has almost doubled (went from 25% to 50%) since going back to the method. The only drawback has been the extra time it takes to walk off the shot and then hope you brought the right club(s) with you from the cart. I have had to go back to the cart several times to get a different club. However I think my proximity to the hole and 1 putt % has cut down on my time on the greens so hopefully its a net/net.

Find me 5 tour players who chip with 8 irons, let alone a 3-6.

Find me 5 Tour Pros that work 60 hours per week in an office...have 3 kids' tee ball/ballet/soccer/scouts/birthday parties...etc to attend...Only to get out to the course at most for a few hours per week (not per day)...per week.

Just imagine the different world they guy I described above lives as it relates to a Tour Pro's life.

They aren't even remotely similar.

Has nothing to do with it. Just saying greens are too fast and ball too hard now for 8 iron chips to be realistic more than a few times a year. I don't golf for a living and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've chipped with an iron in my life. A pw chip comes out plenty hot. Good luck with a 3 iron

back when 8 iron chips were actually viable, the balls were way softer, greens slower and their 8 irons had the loft of our PWs, so honestly a PW chip now is going to be less playable now than their 8 iron chip. similar loft to a faster green with harder ball. COR of the faces were less too so you had less ballspeed.

my point is its physically difficult to chip with those low lofts in today's game. that's why you hardly ever see better players use irons when they chip.

back when 8 iron chips were actually viable, the balls were way softer, greens slower and their 8 irons had the loft of our PWs, so honestly a PW chip now is going to be less playable now than their 8 iron chip. similar loft to a faster green with harder ball. COR of the faces were less too so you had less ballspeed.

my point is its physically difficult to chip with those low lofts in today's game. that's why you hardly ever see better players use irons when they chip.

This, esp the stuff about the lofts. Back when people came up with this stuff an 8 iron was what a pw was today.

I just recently went back to this method. Its been working great as my scrambling % has almost doubled (went from 25% to 50%) since going back to the method. The only drawback has been the extra time it takes to walk off the shot and then hope you brought the right club(s) with you from the cart. I have had to go back to the cart several times to get a different club. However I think my proximity to the hole and 1 putt % has cut down on my time on the greens so hopefully its a net/net.

I use sand or lob wedge 90% of the time and always walk it off. I wouldn't consider assessing break and where I want the ball to land a “drawback”. Bringing three clubs with you should cover the bases.

I think most of you doubting this are missing the point. For those of you saying you never see a pro chipping with a 8 iron or longer, how many times have you seen them miss the green where that formula would apply. When they miss the green it is normally going at a tucked pin, come up just short, or just long. They simply are not going to have that many opportunities to need anything other than a wedge of some kind. They also will putt it a lot of the time when the formula would say to use a longer club. They are taking the theory even farther. Get the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible. Im guessing if you are doubting it, you haven't tried it much. I also saw something about the balls being harder? If anything they are softer now. I never played anything softer than a 100 compression ball when i was younger and this technique worked great. Its simply much lower maintenance and a much larger margin for error.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

I think most of you doubting this are missing the point. For those of you saying you never see a pro chipping with a 8 iron or longer, how many times have you seen them miss the green where that formula would apply. When they miss the green it is normally going at a tucked pin, come up just short, or just long. They simply are not going to have that many opportunities to need anything other than a wedge of some kind. They also will putt it a lot of the time when the formula would say to use a longer club. They are taking the theory even farther. Get the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible. Im guessing if you are doubting it, you haven't tried it much. I also saw something about the balls being harder? If anything they are softer now. I never played anything softer than a 100 compression ball when i was younger and this technique worked great. Its simply much lower maintenance and a much larger margin for error.

all the time. they don't go for as many tucked pins as you think. putting is why this makes no sense. any situation where I'd use a 6 iron to chip, I'd just putt.

putter doesn't have a high COR, has a 30-35 " shaft and is a much more upright lie angle and shaft, all of which make it much easier to control than an iron for chipping.

This, esp the stuff about the lofts. Back when people came up with this stuff an 8 iron was what a pw was today.

The video above is from 2009...lofts on players CBs aren't all that different today as they were then.

My point in this is that there are people out there that may benefit from the method.

Why attempt to discredit the method because it doesn't get regular usage on Tour?

From your Avatar Location, bph, you of all people should know that here in DFW there are many people that play lower lofted clubs from off the green.

Some as low as 3* - 4*...aka...a putter.

I meant when it was actually a viable strategy, like the 90s and before. not today.

I'm saying it doesn't get usage among better players. the people who absolutely take the highest percentage play possible. look at using the bounce. guys are hopping on that wagon left and right because it saves them shots. if chipping with your 7 iron was such a good idea, they'd hop onto that too.

The video above is from 2009...lofts on players CBs aren't all that different today as they were then.

My point in this is that there are people out there that may benefit from the method.

Why attempt to discredit the method because it doesn't get regular usage on Tour?

From your Avatar Location, bph, you of all people should know that here in DFW there are many people that play lower lofted clubs from off the green.

Some as low as 3* - 4*...aka...a putter.

I don't think most would benefit from this. They'd benefit more from not having such bad chipping mechanics. Everything could possibly help someone. The people I play with they play lower lofted clubs do so because they don't understand how to chip properly fwiw. But I doubt many of here are going to see positive results in general chipping with 7 irons.

Too many variables to make this system viable. Does not take into account fast vs slow greens, uphill vs downhill, chipping to a hole on an upper tier of a green, consistency of being able to hit your mark 1 yd on the green, etc. Hit it slightly short and your screwed. The only time I've seen this system talked about is with beginners or instructors. I'm a believer in getting good with a couple of choice wedges and developing feel. Every shot will be different around the greens. General concept is fine, but stock formulas like this rarely apply in the real world and slow down play.

• Confused 1

Good grief, guys. There is no one approach that works for every single person.

If you suck at chipping with a mid or long iron, then run your putter all day. If you are more comfortable with a wedge, then have at it. There is no one in this thread who is good enough to base their preferences solely on a tour level game, so lets all get over it.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Are you not capable of modifying it based on green speed or uphill or downhill lies? If a 9 iron is typically a 3-1 runout what's so hard about adjusting your landing area based on faster than standard, to you, greens or it being uphill or the green running away from you? Don't be so rigid. I was taught this system as a kid and have vascillated between it and getting very good with a 56 degree depending on my time available. To say it's not longer viable is kinda silly. Like anything it requires effort and feel to get right. There are no panaceas in golf.

I agree tho, don't think I've ever seen a tour player use an 8 iron or lower iron to chip.

I'm going to reach out to this guy and tell him he did it all wrong at Hoylake...you know...because of equipment, fast greens, and lack of talent.

Clearly he would have won if he grabbed that 52* and up each time.

Wait...

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger_tips_gd0908

I understand "getting good with a couple of wedges" and "developing feel". Unfortunately I don't have the time for that. The beauty of this is I can use the same motion and be pretty (not super) consistent on my distance by altering the club. That is it.

It is also pretty easy to say adjust based on uphill , downhill, speed, etc. Just like you would adjust with any club or putt. This just gives you a base to work off of.

I'm not saying it is the be all end all but for those with limited time this is a great method for chipping (even on modern greens).***

edit- at least in my limited experience

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I've been using 6,7,8 irons to play bumpers as long as I can remember. Are you guys seriously claiming you default to a sand or lob if you've got alot of ground to cover or need to get to a deep pin and don't have any shelf issues?

ya I'll hit 52 all day

thats a harder shot to hit than an 8 and the spin is going to be less predictable. Way more effort and technique required.

I find there really is no need to walk off the yardage to the hole - just eyeball it.

I derived the following logic by going to a large flat green and experimenting. Once I decide where I want to land the ball, it a simple thing to select the appropriate club depending on the speed of the green and whether uphill/downhill :

• LW (60) - roll out = 1/2x carry
  • SW (56) - roll out = 1x carry
  • GW (52) - roll out = 2x carry
  • PW (48) - roll out = 3x carry
  • 9i (44) - roll out = 4x carry
  • 8i (40) - roll out = 5x carry

I rarely have to go any lower than an 8i or I'll end up over the back of most greens I putt on.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie