2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

How my PXG's were built wrong and poor!!!! PXG gave me no help!

Wardonation

I posted the voice mail message out of jest, but accordingly this probably is NOT the proper venue for your complaint.

The PXG model does in fact count on quality clubfitters to fit you and build your clubs. Other high end manufacturers, like Miura, work on the same model. Ultimately, it sounds like your complaint is with the clubfitter and not PXG. Have you taken it up with them?

I would probably see another PXG authorized retail location in your area and have them evaluate the work and report back to PXG. It is not uncommon for a company using this model to close a retailer for poor quality control and open new retailers who qualify to sell the merchandise more rapidly than manufacturers who only count on the retailer as a point of sale.

Good luck and sorry for the unfortunate build.

it's the fitter not parsons.....deal with him

PXG = Rebadged Golfsmith components. This company will be down the toilet soon.

Golfsmith doesn't manufacture components.

PXG finally contacted me.....I'm going in for a fitting next week. Looking forward to it. I'll give an update......they instructed me to bring my irons (Mizuno MP 59) for a side to side comparison. The fitting will take place outside at Scottsdale National Golf Club.....I had a choice of outside there, or inside at their facility. I chose outside in order to see the ball flight.

Take a demo Srixon Z745 6 iron to compare at your fitting. It will be a better comparison than your Mizzy 59s and will save you two grand.

I have z745, I don't know what so special about em though.....good club, but there's many similar to it.....

So three sets of shafts later and finally a call tag from PXG. THe problem is my golf season is here and I cannot afford to send them out until after July.. The new issue has been swing weight and static weight. 5;6 iron D2 (PERFECT) 7 iron D4.5, 8 iron D3.5, 9 iron D3.8, PW D4 ( wanted D3 but I am good with that. The 7iron is D4.5 with lead tape in the grip as well. The last build with these had SW dialed in but over all weight was just brutal. The weights can come out with heat due to the locktite in them. The crazy thing is PXG has offered me ZERO solutions except finally to send them back and they will take a look? Crazy...

Who built your clubs?

.370 hosel my Modus were NOT shimmed and I did not use collared ferrules. I also asked for +1 wrap and they did not have them!! Called PXG spoke to Marcus and he was not helpful at all. I paid a stupid amount for these clubs and would expect these to be built right and proper. The business model is "flawed" IMO as the quailty of the build is up to the fitter and NOT the company..

Blaming Bob Parsons for your bad built quality would be like calling Ronald McDonald when they put onions on your cheeseburger after you asked them not to.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

PXG finally contacted me.....I'm going in for a fitting next week. Looking forward to it. I'll give an update......they instructed me to bring my irons (Mizuno MP 59) for a side to side comparison. The fitting will take place outside at Scottsdale National Golf Club.....I had a choice of outside there, or inside at their facility. I chose outside in order to see the ball flight.

Take a demo Srixon Z745 6 iron to compare at your fitting. It will be a better comparison than your Mizzy 59s and will save you two grand.

I doubt ANY demo 6 iron will be a better comparison to my Mizuno's. And to say that S(hit)rixon's would save me 2k tells me that they cost 400 bucks a set.....that also tells me a whole lot. Thanks for your opinion...but you know what they say about opinions.

Srixons are now 800 for a full set. PGX are running 3K plus a fitting unless you know exactly what you want or the fitting is free where you go (CC isn't). Your Mizzy's will not outperform the PGX on anything except possibly workability. PGX will feel as good or better while outperforming your Mizzy's (even if all was same the mishits would be better, though all will not be the same). PGX and Srixons are lofted almost identically and provide a good point of comparison for gains in performance due to "technology". I found the Srixons performance equal to the PGX in identical head/shaft combination. I did go with PGX for hybrids as they were MUCH better than the old tech I was playing.

I have z745, I don't know what so special about em though.....good club, but there's many similar to it.....

Actually there aren't. Take the time to compare lie/loft/offset of all iron sets made for 2016 and you'll only end up with PGX, Cally and Srixon with similar stats.

I doubt ANY demo 6 iron will be a better comparison to my Mizuno's. And to say that S(hit)rixon's would save me 2k tells me that they cost 400 bucks a set.....that also tells me a whole lot. Thanks for your opinion...but you know what they say about opinions.

Srixons are now 800 for a full set. PGX are running 3K plus a fitting unless you know exactly what you want or the fitting is free where you go (CC isn't). Your Mizzy's will not outperform the PGX on anything except possibly workability. PGX will feel as good or better while outperforming your Mizzy's (even if all was same the mishits would be better, though all will not be the same). PGX and Srixons are lofted almost identically and provide a good point of comparison for gains in performance due to "technology". I found the Srixons performance equal to the PGX in identical head/shaft combination. I did go with PGX for hybrids as they were MUCH better than the old tech I was playing.

I'll disagree about the feel. Actually if he is coming from a Mizuno iron I wouldn't expect him to like the feel of the PXG iron. The Mizuno feels much softer, while the PXG is more firm and "clicky" like a Titleist iron IMO.

So to summarize the build, PGX use Collared Ferrules, the feel at Impact is firmer than a Mizuno or my J33's (cost me $100)

and as i have a Swingweight Scale, i know i can get em sorted if i spend $2700.

To the OP,

Post pics straight up,

Go back to your Fitter, thats your point of contact.

And most of us here have a Swingweight Scale because this is GolfWRX.

Cheers, Roger

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Nothing against PXG, I'm sure that they are of high quality but when I had the chance to first see & hit them it wasn't my cup of tea. The irons seem awful clanky with a ton of offset, didn't really dig the screw system as I'd rather stick to old skool lead tape if I needed some weight. The woods & wedges I didn't even touch.

If I was forking out that much loot for a full set why not head to Callaway, TaylorMade, or Titleist? Story reminds me of Scratch sending me irons back in 05, at the first Cleveland Golf Tour event I had heads flying off & couldn't figure it out. Bring them on the Cleveland tour van & .355 Tour Concept shafts in parallel heads, never hit Scratch again!

But Scratch heads are .355 bore not .370.

Is it actually PXG or is a reseller of PXG that built the clubs? If it's a reseller then the problem is with the builder. So I was just curious and I saw on PXG's website the Standard Assembly Specs (bottom of page here - https://www.pxg.com/clubs/irons) and I noticed that at SW D0 for the 0311's that the lengths were not at standard 1/2" increments. Look at the increment between 3-4-5-6 irons.

So two points based on that - a) the headweights but not be standard 7g differential b) the clubfitter may not realize this and just throw in 1/2" incremented cut shafts and be done with it and not check swing weight after the fact. Seems like he wasn't checking anyways since they were all over the place.

• 1 year later...

Long and short: the guys in the PXG van (employees of PXG) did not do a good job of fitting me and delivering the order correctly. I NEVER post in stuff like this, but this deserves a conversation.

I spent $3000 on 5-PW and two hybrids- an enormous amount of money for irons, etc. Previously, I had Nakashima NP2+ with Aerotech steel fiber i95's. I left a good club maker and I know a good fit and I know how to play- .7 index before the PXG's arrived.

I knew something wasn't right at the get-go but I wrote it off to being new irons and cold weather (they arrived in late Oct.). Since then my handicap climbed to a 2.1 and that's when I decided to check out other shafts. The PXG guys fitted me with Accra i90's. This makes no sense in retrospect, since the Aerotechs are not only stiffer but also heavier. Additionally, I am 2 degrees flat; the PXG's were discovered to be standard lie. All of this adds up to not just poor fitting, but a disonnect in the quality control. Add to that a C7 swing weight for a guy with a driver swing of 101+ mph. No bueno.

My solution is one of throwing more money at it and having a good fitter put me into KBS C-Taper lites stiff and a D2 swing weight, along with my normal 2 degrees flat. Why should this be necessary when I spend $3000 to begin with?

This I will give them: when you hit these bad boys right nothing FEELS better, but I can tell you of 3 others with a similar personal experience from my club alone. These PXG guys have a problem. Make sure you get fitted right, and you'll love them. But getting fitted right seems to be a huge variable.

PXG uses the same hosel size as ping which is bigger than .355. They use a ferrule with an sleeve to make it fit.

so its not 370..it is taper with a relief up top for a collered ferrule like callaway etc? that's a whole different animal... no problem there at all ... that's actually best of both worlds....

This. This is accurate. Titleist, Callaway, and many others use a bore like this. It's not .370.

GolfWRX did a video on PXG and they stated they use .370 heads with shims. I don’t know how to post the piece on my phone but it’s the video of the factory. They claimed .370 was more flexible for fitting as they could use both parallel and taper shafts with shims.

WOW !

Right or wrong, no matter which side one might side with....... no matter it's a $500 set of irons or $3500. If one's name is on the label, guess whom should be ultimately responsible ?

That analogy of getting food from a fast food chain.... LMAO, whom should be responsible, should the franchisee, or the corporate ? Please ask someone whom has knowledge in these kind of matter.

One thing is certain, OEM or the fitter, someone should stand behind the brand, or it'll be just another piece of junk like hand made sports car, worth nothing.

Long and short: the guys in the PXG van (employees of PXG) did not do a good job of fitting me and delivering the order correctly. I NEVER post in stuff like this, but this deserves a conversation.

I spent $3000 on 5-PW and two hybrids- an enormous amount of money for irons, etc. Previously, I had Nakashima NP2+ with Aerotech steel fiber i95's. I left a good club maker and I know a good fit and I know how to play- .7 index before the PXG's arrived.

I knew something wasn't right at the get-go but I wrote it off to being new irons and cold weather (they arrived in late Oct.). Since then my handicap climbed to a 2.1 and that's when I decided to check out other shafts. The PXG guys fitted me with Accra i90's. This makes no sense in retrospect, since the Aerotechs are not only stiffer but also heavier. Additionally, I am 2 degrees flat; the PXG's were discovered to be standard lie. All of this adds up to not just poor fitting, but a disonnect in the quality control. Add to that a C7 swing weight for a guy with a driver swing of 101+ mph. No bueno.

My solution is one of throwing more money at it and having a good fitter put me into KBS C-Taper lites stiff and a D2 swing weight, along with my normal 2 degrees flat. Why should this be necessary when I spend $3000 to begin with?

This I will give them: when you hit these bad boys right nothing FEELS better, but I can tell you of 3 others with a similar personal experience from my club alone. These PXG guys have a problem. Make sure you get fitted right, and you'll love them. But getting fitted right seems to be a huge variable.

Interesting statement. I went through a few sets of Ping irons and felt the same way. Awesome feel and results on a good hit but bad feel and results on a less than perfect hit. As PXG makes a thing of hiring Ping engineers, it seems to me the results are the same.

Hard to make those people with more money than need happy...got what you paid for? I'm sure they'll fix it, shouldn't happen, but stuff does, you'll live.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

PXG uses the same hosel size as ping which is bigger than .355. They use a ferrule with an sleeve to make it fit.

so its not 370..it is taper with a relief up top for a collered ferrule like callaway etc? that's a whole different animal... no problem there at all ... that's actually best of both worlds....

This. This is accurate. Titleist, Callaway, and many others use a bore like this. It's not .370.

GolfWRX did a video on PXG and they stated they use .370 heads with shims. I don’t know how to post the piece on my phone but it’s the video of the factory. They claimed .370 was more flexible for fitting as they could use both parallel and taper shafts with shims.

I realize this an old thread but yes, this is correct.

Pxg uses a collared ferrule and a plastic shim cap for .355 taper tip shafts.

https://www.billybobsgolf.com/product.php?productid=18231

Hit “images and description” after you click this link if you want to see them. They are unique.

1st set from a dealer second set direct from PXG after a fitting at the NW Open...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Its availble on U Tube. A WRX editor was fit with DG Tour issue shafts that only come in taper tip. Golfworks and Billy Bobs Golf sell the ferrules with a small cap that goes on the tip. PXG also uses a product like GolfWorks “Quick Center” in the epoxy. I have reshafted several PXG sets and have had no issue using the OEM .355 ferrules and Quick Center.

Did your set come direct from PXG? I ordered a set from them and specified taper tip shafts soft stepped. Thats exactly how they came.

Remember the story of the Emperor's new clothes?

Reminds me of every schmuck that bought into these overpriced nonsense of a golf club.

Schmuck? Your comment says more about you than the so called schmucks.

It actually makes you look like a total fool.

Another tool for my ignored list.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I really get a chuckle out of reading some of the comments, not only in this thread but in other threads as well, in regards to people buying PXG clubs.

Are they expensive.......? Yes.

Are you whining about people buying these clubs because your broke Word not allowed can’t afford them.......more than likely.

In the end, if someone wants to spend the extra money to own these clubs, it is more than likely because they either........

A. Love the way they look.

B. Love the the way they perform.

C. Love the fact they have a set of clubs that most other golfers can’t afford.

Whatever the reason may be, that is what is great about this game. You can buy the cheapest clubs or the most expensive clubs depending on your financial ability, And no matter which of those types of clubs you have in your bag, you can have a great time with friends or family on some of the most beautiful places that man has created. So for you guys bitching and whining about people that buy PXG clubs, my suggestion is that you go out and get a better job and quit worrying about how other people spend their money.

Just my .02

Just for reference, I do not own any PXG clubs currently. I do plan on doing a full fitting this spring with multiple iron sets, and if these clubs win out...... I will happily spend the money on them.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

I really get a chuckle out of reading some of the comments, not only in this thread but in other threads as well, in regards to people buying PXG clubs.

Are they expensive.......? Yes.

Are you whining about people buying these clubs because your broke Word not allowed can't afford them.......more than likely.

In the end, if someone wants to spend the extra money to own these clubs, it is more than likely because they either........

A. Love the way they look.

B. Love the the way they perform.

C. Love the fact they have a set of clubs that most other golfers can't afford.

Whatever the reason may be, that is what is great about this game. You can buy the cheapest clubs or the most expensive clubs depending on your financial ability, And no matter which of those types of clubs you have in your bag, you can have a great time with friends or family on some of the most beautiful places that man has created. So for you guys bitching and whining about people that buy PXG clubs, my suggestion is that you go out and get a better job and quit worrying about how other people spend their money.

Just my .02

Just for reference, I do not own any PXG clubs currently. I do plan on doing a full fitting this spring with multiple iron sets, and if these clubs win out...... I will happily spend the money on them.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what's on the scorecard at the end of the round. Not what's in the bag. Some people have more money than golf game.

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”