2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tyson Lamb Putters

So, if you use the argument that a custom watch or bespoke suit costs a lot of money, lets look at that. I will use Rolex, just for fun. It takes 1 year to make a Rolex, they make 1,000,000 per year, they use a steel that no one else wants to use because it is expensive and it is harder to machine but, it looks a certain way so Rolex uses it. Rolex has been in business since 1905, nearly every watch in their line GAINS value as it ages. Next, I will use Frank Shattuck, a bespoke suit maker that was featured on the Balvenie series Raw Craft on youtube with Anthony Bourdain. He uses Fox wool for his suits, Fox has been in business since 1772. It is some of the most expensive wool flannel in the world, why you may ask? It is some of the very best. It takes 3-4 fittings to complete the process of completing your one-off hand-made suit and it takes Frank 65hrs to make a suit and he can make about 15 a year. Both of those "brands" are well worth their asking price, to me, because they have a history, a heritage, they are worth the cost of entry because of all the work that goes in to them, especially the suits.

Now, I am not a machinist but, I am not a dullard. Tyson has two or three putter models so once he got those programmed in, the lions share of that work was done, the added steps of machining the "stamps" in is more work, I get that, is it the difference in a $299 putter and a $1199 putter? Not for me. If we are keeping it in the same realm with putters, take a look at Kyle Sears at Kingston Putters. He is making putters out of "GSS", a material that instantly adds a 0 to any other putter maker. He will make you a one-off GSS putter out of a superior material for $495.

We can mentally punch a clown ourselves about this for 4 more pages but, at the end of the day, I don't like the perception of the company.

Very well written post, but I just can't take someone serious when they propose inflicting mental harm to clowns.

Haven't they been through enough?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if you use the argument that a custom watch or bespoke suit costs a lot of money, lets look at that. I will use Rolex, just for fun. It takes 1 year to make a Rolex, they make 1,000,000 per year, they use a steel that no one else wants to use because it is expensive and it is harder to machine but, it looks a certain way so Rolex uses it. Rolex has been in business since 1905, nearly every watch in their line GAINS value as it ages. Next, I will use Frank Shattuck, a bespoke suit maker that was featured on the Balvenie series Raw Craft on youtube with Anthony Bourdain. He uses Fox wool for his suits, Fox has been in business since 1772. It is some of the most expensive wool flannel in the world, why you may ask? It is some of the very best. It takes 3-4 fittings to complete the process of completing your one-off hand-made suit and it takes Frank 65hrs to make a suit and he can make about 15 a year. Both of those "brands" are well worth their asking price, to me, because they have a history, a heritage, they are worth the cost of entry because of all the work that goes in to them, especially the suits.

Now, I am not a machinist but, I am not a dullard. Tyson has two or three putter models so once he got those programmed in, the lions share of that work was done, the added steps of machining the "stamps" in is more work, I get that, is it the difference in a $299 putter and a $1199 putter? Not for me. If we are keeping it in the same realm with putters, take a look at Kyle Sears at Kingston Putters. He is making putters out of "GSS", a material that instantly adds a 0 to any other putter maker. He will make you a one-off GSS putter out of a superior material for $495.

We can mentally punch a clown ourselves about this for 4 more pages but, at the end of the day, I don't like the perception of the company.

Very well written post, but I just can't take someone serious when they propose inflicting mental harm to clowns.

I have to call out the Rolex bit. Rolex raises their prices 10 percent every year. So if you buy a used Rolex Submariner you will usually make your money back or a little profit. The less desirable models like the Datejust usually just maintain their used value. I have several Rolexes. I know several years ago they made over 680,000 Submariners in one year. So I really doubt their marketing ploy about it takes a year to make a Rolex. For starters, the movement is robust and simple unlike a tourbillion or from a breuget/Patek watch. It exactly what you expect for a tool watch like the Submariner. They also used 904 steel which is harder to work with versus 316 steel which is true. The metal is very resistant to corrosion and things not usually a watch is subjected to on daily basis. So the watch is wonderfully over enigineered. Don't get me wrong, Rolex is a great watch. I love mine. Rolex charges what the market will bear. Lamb will charge whatever he thinks the market will bear. He makes a beautiful putter. I wish them all the best of luck.

I have to call out the Rolex bit. Rolex raises their prices 10 percent every year. So if you buy a used Rolex Submariner you will usually make your money back or a little profit. The less desirable models like the Datejust usually just maintain their used value. I have several Rolexes. I know several years ago they made over 680,000 Submariners in one year. So I really doubt their marketing ploy about it takes a year to make a Rolex. For starters, the movement is robust and simple unlike a tourbillion or from a breuget/Patek watch. It exactly what you expect for a tool watch like the Submariner. They also used 904 steel which is harder to work with versus 316 steel which is true. The metal is very resistant to corrosion and things not usually a watch is subjected to on daily basis. So the watch is wonderfully over enigineered. Don't get me wrong, Rolex is a great watch. I love mine. Rolex charges what the market will bear. Lamb will charge whatever he thinks the market will bear. He makes a beautiful putter. I wish them all the best of luck.

See, you get it. I freaking love the free market!!! People are just mad they can't afford his beautiful artwork. I can't even come close to affording one, but I'm not going to bash someone for finding their niche in an already niche market and making it as lucrative a niche as possible. It's the American dream baby. Respect that.

Also it's so dumb that people are talking about how he makes putters that look like other putter makers.... BECAUSE THOSE ARE THE PROVEN STYLES THAT PLAYERS BUY. If any of the design elements, on any of these said putters were that revolutionary or proprietary they would be patent protected. Free game on many of those elements. He does plenty that nobody else is doing that absolutely sets him apart.

The only reason anybody doesn't like this guy is that you either A: want one of his putter, but are butt hurt that you can't swing and now decide to vilify him. Or B: you are jealous that he get to live a life selling $1,200 putters and laughing at all of you while he does it.

This is Art, it's not function. A blade putter is a blade putter. Many people make very similar styles of putters, but the art and design in each define he biulder and he artist. Art reached the price that it reaches and artists are absolutely entitled to sell the fruit of the labor for whatever price they deem appropriate.

Now all of you people who think he has it easy because he uses CNC machines; there is still a lot of design work and industrial work that has to be done to bring a putter out from a solid block of raw steel. You guys all talking s*** are hilarious thinking that you know what it takes to do what this guy does.

The putters are amazing, truly unique and functional works of art that go far beyond a CNC machine.

A blade putter is NOT a blade putter.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

My fiancé just surprised me with one of these limited divot repair tools

Here are my impressions - first off the quality of the piece is awesome. I absolutely love it.

Second, from a service standpoint - I showed my fiancé a picture of these once on Instagram - she found them, sent an email, got an immediate response, he even worked with her on what number of the limited run I got. She picked 4 because it's my birthday (Sept 4) and she had it within a week.

My suggestion is that before you make a judgement - find out on your own. I am thrilled and will definitely be interested in a custom putter build. My fiancé has never ordered a golf thing ever and she said it was as easy as can be.

I'm on board for sure. Don't listen to others find out for yourself. No one is perfect.

This was a 150% awesome experience all the way around

Jeff

TM SIM 9*
TM SIM Titanium 3wd 15*
Adams Super 9031 Hybrids 20/23*
Titleist U500 4 Iron
Titleist T100 5-9
Vokey 46,52,56,60
Scotty Carbon Circle T Newport 2 Tri-Sole

I've been following Tyson on IG for some time now, really like his work. I've actually had a chat with him one morning via messenger (6am my time, 4am his time. He was up working). Talked about work, family, golf. Really nice guy. I've never bought anything from him and he wasn't trying to sell me anything.

You have to be cocky these days to get out from the crowd. If he can back it up, than he isn't cocky, he's good. I'd love to see one of his putters in hand, see if it's worth the price.

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

The only reason anybody doesn't like this guy is that you either A: want one of his putter, but are butt hurt that you can't swing and now decide to vilify him. Or B: you are jealous that he get to live a life selling $1,200 putters and laughing at all of you while he does it.

This is Art, it's not function. A blade putter is a blade putter. Many people make very similar styles of putters, but the art and design in each define he biulder and he artist. Art reached the price that it reaches and artists are absolutely entitled to sell the fruit of the labor for whatever price they deem appropriate.

Now all of you people who think he has it easy because he uses CNC machines; there is still a lot of design work and industrial work that has to be done to bring a putter out from a solid block of raw steel. You guys all talking s*** are hilarious thinking that you know what it takes to do what this guy does.

The putters are amazing, truly unique and functional works of art that go far beyond a CNC machine.

I will step in here. I own 2 cnc machines, real cnc machines. My industry is not metal, and I cant work metal with them. I have always wanted to get some cheap metal

Cnc machine like he has used and make putters, but the reality is that it would be hard to justify, actually it would be a foolish gamble and I don't even have a place to put it.

So with that in mind, my thoughts are this. Yes, I do cad/cam all day and it is its own art, however anyone with that ability and an imagination(his seems lacking) can make putters even more unique and amazing.

Which leads me to my next point. $1200 isn't crap for the kind of machining I am talking about, in fact, the reality is that anyone who knows any better knows that what you said about laughing selling $1200 pitters is BS PITA crap work for a cnc shop.....I mean if busy then yes, and I love the business model of no overhead (a cheap cnc, a helper, a secretary, and you designing cad in AC all day) but that is the appeal, not the awesome money he is making at $1200 a putter....thee only way to not charge close to that for cnc work is chinese production of mass same units....like $309 scottys.

I should add I really don't know anything about metal cnc run times for a putter, as that is a big factor. Cad work can be simplified by saved templates that are modified probably so same stock head can be made personalized without re drawing all of it. I just think that anyone with the machines or talent is probably making more money doing something else, or would have to be the perfect storm of someone like Kari (I love his stuff) where he has a passion for it and happens to have the shop in place and also and most important has a shop (see bettinardi) that makes money through other machining ventures so the putter upstart is an easy low risk no brainer for anyone that happens to have that at their disposal and an interest in doing it.

Also to add, cncs can mass produce quality very cheaply as it is same cycle over and over and you can the machines 24/7 if you have the work. Where $1200 isn't a lot is when you are custom drawing up plummets neck designes and mills and everything is one off....clearly many people are Machining putters and making money for less than $2-300....that is a production level model.

I still haven't seen any true 5ax work on a putter....that is where my mind has always been at

Or C, you can easily afford $1,200 putters but would prefer not to buy one from someone who is full himself.

Or C, you can easily afford $1,200 putters but would prefer not to buy one from someone who is full himself.

+1 not the question of $$$, have bought some nice customs from Byron that were close to that. More a question of principal if I want a putter from someone with a chest beating attitude.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

+1 not the question of $$$, have bought some nice customs from Byron that were close to that. More a question of principal if I want a putter from someone with a chest beating attitude.

+2

I don't question the young man's skills. Just not a fan of the 'F Bomb', 'Brash and Arrogant' shtick. I don't live my life that way and wouldn't carry a putter that represents these values.

In perusing his Instagram account it's apparent others gobble this up and that's their prerogative.

I'll reiterate they are handsome putters, there are features I appreciate in his designs, and I'm certain they perform.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Just read every post in this thread and all I can say is that I'm disgusted and entertained. That's about all you can want from an internet forum I guess. Some of you f'rs need to relax.

Lamb's Indigo Bronze putter is the best looking finish I have ever seen. I sent him a DM on IG a few days ago to see if he had any mallets on the horizon. He said that he does, for anyone else who is interested, but that it'll be a while. Would love to beta since I live down the road, but I'm not hopeful.

Just read every post in this thread and all I can say is that I'm disgusted and entertained. That's about all you can want from an internet forum I guess. Some of you f'rs need to relax.

Lamb's Indigo Bronze putter is the best looking finish I have ever seen. I sent him a DM on IG a few days ago to see if he had any mallets on the horizon. He said that he does, for anyone else who is interested, but that it'll be a while. Would love to beta since I live down the road, but I'm not hopeful.

Lol! Go check out the "hats in the grill room etiquette" or "large man in medium shirt", you're in for a WRX treat! :tongue:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Lol! Go check out the "hats in the grill room etiquette" or "large man in medium shirt", you're in for a WRX treat! :tongue:

#F-Bomb ; )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Great looking putter! With the some of the recent increases in pricing from Cameron, I can see T. Lamb attracting collectors who want more custom options.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I kinda want one just because he seems so polarizing... and the finished product would be a jewel, I'm sure.

It's doesn't get much more head turning than this...

13643684_1715288928743457_288071287_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI5MTA4MDg1OTYyMTAzNzU0Mg%3D%3D.2

Weld this neck onto that bad boy, pop a sound slot in it, and deliver it straight to my bag, please.

13715050_931086437018139_1906212205_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI5MzU2NzE0OTUwNzY4NTY3Mw%3D%3D.2

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I didn't mean to come off like an Word not allowed in my last posts here, it was more of a triggered response to the whole "either can't afford one/jealous he sells $1,000 putters for a living......and not knowing about bringing something out of stock with a cnc" stuff.

Anyway, I think obviously what he is doing is cool, regardless the kind of person he is. I just do know what the possibilities are with someone who has a lot of creativity, a basic knowledge of putter requirements for proper function, and the ability to draw really well in 3D cad and access to machines needed. so far it looks like this guy is the first person to have access to a cnc for one offs, and his ability to draw and machine will only get better with experience. I would like to see more guys pushing limits of putter making with numeric controlled machines, particularly would like to see some more fine milling. I think the next crop of tad mores, Camerons, mills" etc will be young and techy. It has happenned in most all industries already.

beautiful putters, his attention to details is first class. Very interested in purchasing one.....have sent three emails since July 2nd and have not received a response. Put away some money to get something special and it has been between this or a button back....can't even get a response to see if he what I want is doable for the price. Guess its time to move along.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

I can tell you as someone that also sells manufactured luxury items, it reaches a point where the quality is expected and unquestioned, and you discover that you are truly in the service business, not the fabrication business. Luxury Companies that excel in service and doing all the little things right and on point to a noticeable difference from even good competition, can charge what they want and stay busy. The world is filled with great and talented artisans who never make a lot of money or grow a business because they don't understand that making the outstanding product is only a small part of the puzzle, and delivering it and selling it and making it accessible and desirable to your niche market is what really matters. He could be 20x the putter fabber of Scotty Cameron, but I bet you a young Cameron returned those calls and emails with a hunger to get his presence out there, not an arrogance expecting clients to beg for his product.

I can tell you as someone that also sells manufactured luxury items, it reaches a point where the quality is expected and unquestioned, and you discover that you are truly in the service business, not the fabrication business. Luxury Companies that excel in service and doing all the little things right and on point to a noticeable difference from even good competition, can charge what they want and stay busy. The world is filled with great and talented artisans who never make a lot of money or grow a business because they don't understand that making the outstanding product is only a small part of the puzzle, and delivering it and selling it and making it accessible and desirable to your niche market is what really matters. He could be 20x the putter fabber of Scotty Cameron, but I bet you a young Cameron returned those calls and emails with a hunger to get his presence out there, not an arrogance expecting clients to beg for his product.

A great perspective and very well articulated

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

just saying -- i follow in insta and there are numerous people with every post commenting on lack of service to emails, direct messages, etc.

he should fix this issue if he thinks he's going to make something of this more than a flash in a really nice frying pan

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Cant help but wonder how Lamont Mann feels about his "Lamb Crafted" slogan.

Admire the putters, but feel the lack of originality.

Some of the best Lamb putters I've seen look a lot like some Machine putters with the Damascus inserts in the back. Agree with the originality comment, but the quality looks incredible.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ