2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hunter Mahan...whats up?

midweston

What happened to Hunter? He was a scoreboard regular a while back. Love watching his swing.

Sean Foley, that is what happened... Steady decline. Went from ballstriking machine to just average trying to stack and swing left..

2013 he was 67%/68% and 27th in SG-T2G

2014 dropped to 75th in T2G

2015 fell off earth ranking 131st in GIR, 107 in FIR and 140th in T2G

2016 just when you think it couldn't get worse.. 135th, 166th and 185th in SG-T2G

With Hunter's destruction, Tiger's debacle starting early 2014, and Westwood lasting like 6 weeks with Sean, and a former student who twitter blasted Tiger to leave him asap, I am in shock he has any students at all. Rose is his ONLY saving grace and a big one at that as Justin is considered a top striker. But from past trends, I'd expect Rose to start his quick decline about now...

The obvious answer.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talked with a pga instructor who travels on tour a bit, he said Hunter hits it great on the range but something is off when hes playing. Thinks him and foley maybe are just screwing around too much with the swing. Its all ballstriking too which use to be his strength. His shortgame is actually really good right now which he use to suck at. I saw him at memorial and he was great on the range, on the course I saw him hit some big push fades. Hopefully he gets it together though

talked with a pga instructor who travels on tour a bit, he said Hunter hits it great on the range but something is off when hes playing. Thinks him and foley maybe are just screwing around too much with the swing. Its all ballstriking too which use to be his strength. His shortgame is actually really good right now which he use to suck at. I saw him at memorial and he was great on the range, on the course I saw him hit some big push fades. Hopefully he gets it together though

He's not Robinson Crusoe there. Tiger has long had reputation as being incredible on the range, but not being able to take it to the course.

Maybe golf range instructor is the next step then

swing your swing......arnie got it right - no text book swing out there.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Are there articles out there about him struggling with his swing or is that just peoples personal observation?

Articles, personal observation and Hunter himself admitting it.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

I swear these pros just get in their own way most of the time, listen to tooooooo many voices.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

That's the main problem, foley being his coach. Needs to drop him and go find someone else.

Random fact of the day, I played high school golf with him and Women's US Open winner Brittany Lang at McKinney High School. They were good though...

Who are you, I worked at the course they practiced at during that time?

Callaway GBB Oban devotion
V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
Cleveland cg14 48
Callaway md3 s grind 52
Vokey 58
Odyssey WH 7

What happened to Hunter? He was a scoreboard regular a while back. Love watching his swing.

Sean Foley, that is what happened... Steady decline. Went from ballstriking machine to just average trying to stack and swing left..

2016 just when you think it couldn't get worse.. 135th, 166th and 185th in SG-T2G

With Hunter's destruction, Tiger's debacle starting early 2014, and Westwood lasting like 6 weeks with Sean, and a former student who twitter blasted Tiger to leave him asap, I am in shock he has any students at all. Rose is his ONLY saving grace and a big one at that as Justin is considered a top striker. But from past trends, I'd expect Rose to start his quick decline about now...

The obvious answer.

And also the wrong answer. Tiger, Mahan and Rose all improved hugely under Foley from where they were before they started working with him.

And also the wrong answer. Tiger, Mahan and Rose all improved hugely under Foley from where they were before they started working with him.

Is this a level? Or are you just completely HIGH.

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

Is this a level? Or are you just completely HIGH.

I presume your inane comment is with reference to Tiger? As far as I recall his game at the time he split up with Haney in 2010 was a mess. Under Foley he got back to being the world's number 1. Now of course that might have happened if he had stayed Haney or started working with anyone else but the fact is that Tiger was a better player under Foley than he was before he started working with him. Obviously I'm not comparing Tiger under Foley with his peak performances under Haney as you seem to imply.

The obvious answer.

So hows that going for them now? I don't know much about Foley and his methods, but to my untrained eye it looks a lot like stack and tilt. Stack and tilt seems to work well early on, especially with the shorter irons. But in the long run it just doesn't work out. I toyed with stack and tilt myself and although it produce power and pure striking with the short irons, it just didn't work for the longer clubs.

The obvious answer.

So hows that going for them now? I don't know much about Foley and his methods, but to my untrained eye it looks a lot like stack and tilt. Stack and tilt seems to work well early on, especially with the shorter irons. But in the long run it just doesn't work out. I toyed with stack and tilt myself and although it produce power and pure striking with the short irons, it just didn't work for the longer clubs.

Well I know that Justin Rose is currently 5th on tour for strokes gained off the tee, he's also 4th for strokes gained tee to green and has been in the top 6 since 2011 (ranked first in 2013). I also know he wasn't anywhere near being such an elite ball striker before he started working with Foley.

Well I know that Justin Rose is currently 5th on tour for strokes gained off the tee, he's also 4th for strokes gained tee to green and has been in the top 6 since 2011 (ranked first in 2013). I also know he wasn't anywhere near being such an elite ball striker before he started working with Foley.

One player out of how many? Not the strongest argument.

Random fact of the day, I played high school golf with him and Women's US Open winner Brittany Lang at McKinney High School. They were good though...

Who are you, I worked at the course they practiced at during that time?

I was only there one year, Hunter was a senior and Brittany was a freshman. You worked at the ranch? My pro there was Kelly

And Foley is one of how many golf instructors? Personally I would think that elevating a mediocre professional golfer into one of the best ballstrikers in the world is quite an achievement. To have also done that with two other golfers shows it wasn't a fluke. The fact that Tiger and Mahan have not been able to maitain themselves at that standard may be a reflection of Foley's teaching methods or it may not. But the point is Foley does make players better and not just with short irons.

it's not fair at all to pin the downfall of tiger and mahan on foley. they have "a few" other things going on. i'm not saying anything about how foley falls in the hierarchy of tour level swing instructors, but at the time, mahan was about the best striker of the ball on the entire tour before he started cranking out a brood of kids. rose when he won the US Open and had that 2-3 year run was as good tee to green as anyone and he gained a TON of distance under foley.

plenty of people have left what is perceived as "the top" coaches as well, harmon family not excluded.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

And Foley is one of how many golf instructors? Personally I would think that elevating a mediocre professional golfer into one of the best ballstrikers in the world is quite an achievement. To have also done that with two other golfers shows it wasn't a fluke. The fact that Tiger and Mahan have not been able to maitain themselves at that standard may be a reflection of Foley's teaching methods or it may not. But the point is Foley does make players better and not just with short irons.

Justin Rose was far from a mediocre professional golfer before foley. His swing was awesome before foley as well.

Id take lesson from foley anytime not trying to bash him but check out Hunter in 2010 when he was really good.

In recent years hes started cocking the shaft more vertical on takeaway and backswing while still being deep ala old ricky fowler, looks less natural. Probably doing a bunch of other stuff different as well

15 Events this calendar year. 7 cuts made. T43 best finish. A couple years ago this cat was taking down Rory in WGC Matchplay, contending at majors, and good for a couple wins a year. Regardless of whether or not Foley has contributed to his troubles, I think a new voice might be in order. If the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." is true, the opposite should be as well. Hope he gets back into contention.

The obvious answer.

A golf swing that lasts a long time is fairly natural. When you walk, you go from side to side. When you swing a driver effectively, you should go from weight on one foot to weight on the other, and back again. Stack and tilt is sort of like playing like Ernest Jones, who lost one leg in WW1. Yes, you can play that way; but it will wear on you.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse