Hunter Mahan...whats up?

midweston

What happened to Hunter? He was a scoreboard regular a while back. Love watching his swing.

Sean Foley, that is what happened... Steady decline. Went from ballstriking machine to just average trying to stack and swing left..

2013 he was 67%/68% and 27th in SG-T2G

2014 dropped to 75th in T2G

2015 fell off earth ranking 131st in GIR, 107 in FIR and 140th in T2G

2016 just when you think it couldn't get worse.. 135th, 166th and 185th in SG-T2G

With Hunter's destruction, Tiger's debacle starting early 2014, and Westwood lasting like 6 weeks with Sean, and a former student who twitter blasted Tiger to leave him asap, I am in shock he has any students at all. Rose is his ONLY saving grace and a big one at that as Justin is considered a top striker. But from past trends, I'd expect Rose to start his quick decline about now...

Couldn't agree more.

He praises how Trackman has revolutionized the game but tells his student to hit down on a driver.

[media=]

[/media]

For control. Hitting up is to max distance iirc.

Sorry I respectfully disagree with this statement.

For most Amateur, they will hardly notice any more control with hitting down on a driver. They can use 3 wood if they are looking for more control.

Also, would you rather play 20 yards shorter off on a fairway or use less club from a semi rough?

In the Bag:

Driver- M2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Mini Driver- X2hot Pro 12.5° Aldila Tour Green 70S
3 Wood- 915 F 15° Diamana S+ 70S
Hybrid- XR 19°
Irons- Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-PW
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 50°, 58°
Putter- Oddy#7 White Hot 34"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to Hunter? He was a scoreboard regular a while back. Love watching his swing.

Sean Foley, that is what happened... Steady decline. Went from ballstriking machine to just average trying to stack and swing left..

2016 just when you think it couldn't get worse.. 135th, 166th and 185th in SG-T2G

With Hunter's destruction, Tiger's debacle starting early 2014, and Westwood lasting like 6 weeks with Sean, and a former student who twitter blasted Tiger to leave him asap, I am in shock he has any students at all. Rose is his ONLY saving grace and a big one at that as Justin is considered a top striker. But from past trends, I'd expect Rose to start his quick decline about now...

Couldn't agree more.

He praises how Trackman has revolutionized the game but tells his student to hit down on a driver.

[media=]

[/media]

For control. Hitting up is to max distance iirc.

Sorry I respectfully disagree with this statement.

For most Amateur, they will hardly notice any more control with hitting down on a driver. They can use 3 wood if they are looking for more control.

Also, would you rather play 20 yards shorter off on a fairway or use less club from a semi rough?

20 yards less club from a "semi rough " any day..problem is that isn't the difference...its usually 20 yards short or in the woods... .but that isn't the argument...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I wonder why the tour average is down not up? Don't they know better? :happy:

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I wonder why the tour average is down not up? Don't they know better? :happy:

Agreed

Tour pros have enough SS and consistency within their swing to take advantage of hitting down on a driver.

But the video was aimed for Amateurs.

In the Bag:

Driver- M2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Mini Driver- X2hot Pro 12.5° Aldila Tour Green 70S
3 Wood- 915 F 15° Diamana S+ 70S
Hybrid- XR 19°
Irons- Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-PW
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 50°, 58°
Putter- Oddy#7 White Hot 34"

They may not know better, but they probably know the definition of "average." :)

Ok, I will bite. How was average used incorrectly? You think 20 guys are -10* and the rest are at zero or plus?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

So the guys that don't like Foley explain it this way. "He got Rose and Mahan to the point where there were amongst the best ball strikers but then those same teachings make them fall off the map" Can someone please explain the logic?

Might be a bit aggressive to give him full credit for getting Rose to that level of ballstriking. I went back and looked at his strokes gained; tee to green and GIR stats from pre-2009 seasons (started w/ Foley end of '09 I think) and man, they are really good even that far back.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

For every player that can handle complicated golf instruction (Sir Nick with Leadbottom; Rose with Foley), there must be 10 for whom too much information gets in the way of playing quality golf. Hunter Mahan and Michelle Wie are just the tip of the iceberg. Personally I don't think that Lydia Ko is as athletic with her golf swing as she was pre-Leadbetter; but Lydia has such great tempo that even my golf instruction might not be able to screw up her game. :taunt:

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm hesitant to place a player's performance primarily on the swing coach. He is now a father, dealt with injuries, and looks to have put on a few pounds. Perhaps these in conjunction with instruction that doesn't vibe as well as it used to results in his poor play. He may benefit from a change, may not.

He also went to foley initially for help on short game. He struggled with rib injuries so him and foley bled into the full swing.

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Oban Devotion
Titleist 913fd 15* Diamana D+
Ping i25 19*
Titleist 714 AP2/MB KBS Tour (3-P)
Vokey 52F, TVD 58M
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The size of his teeth ..

Great contribution. Are you in 6th grade?

definitely not smarter than one. :taunt:

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Couldn't agree more.

[media=]

[/media]

I don't care for Foley but I will say I agree with him on this video. Driving has always been one of the stronger parts of my game and, since getting all consumed with hitting up on the driver, my driving has suffered. Of course, I read a golf tip and I over exaggerate it so it's not the tips fault.

For every player that can handle complicated golf instruction (Sir Nick with Leadbottom; Rose with Foley), there must be 10 for whom too much information gets in the way of playing quality golf. Hunter Mahan and Michelle Wie are just the tip of the iceberg. Personally I don't think that Lydia Ko is as athletic with her golf swing as she was pre-Leadbetter; but Lydia has such great tempo that even my golf instruction might not be able to screw up her game. :taunt:
this true. A few scratch players I have played with are as dumb as a box of frogs. I think a lot of them just see target and do not even acknowledge the trees and out of bounds like most of us.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

whether or not foley is right in that video is completely irrelevant - because unless its in relation to a specific individual - it can be both right and wrong.

in general, for your average 30 hdcp masquerading as a 20, hitting down with a driver probably is better, and really, as mentioned, tour average AOA is negative as well. that's a fact, not biased opinion like "foley ruins people."

http://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Mahan and Rose were two of the premier ballstrikers in the game, Rose still is. Every player has their swing issues, every coach has their issues too. I've listened to Foley speak a reasonable amount, and like a lot of what he has to say, but I don't take everything as gospel from him or any other instructor. Even from my own coach who has worked with major winners, I don't think he's perfect either.

regardless, everybody deals with family life differently. Mahan seems to be focused on securing his long term future financially and spending time with his kids (sold his mansion to Spieth). I tip my cap to him. GMac is another one that has had his focus shift, so has Tiger.

I want Mahan back on the radar as I loved watching him play. I wonder who left who with regard to Hunter and (John?) Wood, who is now with Kuchar.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

this true. A few scratch players I have played with are as dumb as a box of frogs. I think a lot of them just see target and do not even acknowledge the trees and out of bounds like most of us.

I have played a million rounds with a guy who lines up absolutely square to his target line, with no thought involved.

Sean Foley destroyed tiger woods body. I think by the end of that era woods was taking a divot with his driver off the tee.

Nonsense. Bio-mechanically, nothing Foley advocated hurt Woods, hell, it never hurt me at age 67 when I started the Foley methods, Tiger's over rigorous fitness regimen is more to blame.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Funny, back when I started trying to play competitively again, I was really struggling with getting enough spin on my iron shots.

Was working on my irons, and was hitting shots on a trackman. My numbers were low as usual,

And the guy who was teaching there was telling me my angle of attack wasn't steep enough to get the spin required. I told him when I increased it, I hit the ball lower, with less spin. He didn't believe me until I hit a few, and lo and behold, a** high heaters with no spin.

He couldn't fathom that there was more wrong than the simple textbook answer from track man.

I've worked on my backswing,many very importantly, my transition, which has allowed me to hit it much higher, pick up a little spin, and not hurt as much...

My point? Hell I don't know, but the absolutes talked about sometimes aren't absolute for everyone

Sean Foley destroyed tiger woods body. I think by the end of that era woods was taking a divot with his driver off the tee.

Nonsense. Bio-mechanically, nothing Foley advocated hurt Woods, hell, it never hurt me at age 67 when I started the Foley methods, Tiger's over rigorous fitness regimen is more to blame.

Tiger's body gave out. Sometimes there isn't a reason. It just did. Maybe his fitness regimen bought him more time?

now in his mid 30s, married with kids, multi multi millionaire and probably burnt out from never really breaking through as a world #1 type player when he was right on the brink of it.

sorry, with that short game he was NEVER close to a world #1 type player. Good player though. Top 10 is about the best he would be. Which is not shabby at all.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• 1 month later...

Hunter Mahan

Official World Golf Ranking: 170

FedEx Cup Rank: 173rd

Scoring Average: 72.172

3rd child on the way

Lost his swing

Struggling to find a balance with family responsibilities, a golf swing gone sour and sponsors demanding results.

Things are not looking favorable...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Steve Stricker 2.0. Steve's dip in his mid-30s and the reasons for it are almost a carbon copy of what Hunter is going through.

Family, kids, and being a star before he was ready mentally for it. Hunter's Ryder Cup got into his head, just like how Steve said in that article he wrote that his confidence started to wain the first time he was paired with Tiger and he felt he had no chance to compete with his game.

Compound that with swing issues and it's a toxic combination. Hunter has a ton of work ahead of him but he's got the talent to get it back.

I believe Hunter is moving toward being a lost soul (of sorts) as he yearns for the way things used to be in his life, instead of his future. His family responsibilities haven't helped with his golf game, and I think he's learning that his swing method is for a young man's body now that he is getting older. I believe Hunter has been moving toward this understanding and conclusion for some time. I think he is definitely concerned (worried) about how things in his life have changed, and in particular how his golf game has unraveled...and he just doesn't know how to handle it, or deal with it.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Steve Stricker 2.0. Steve's dip in his mid-30s and the reasons for it are almost a carbon copy of what Hunter is going through.

Family, kids, and being a star before he was ready mentally for it. Hunter's Ryder Cup got into his head, just like how Steve said in that article he wrote that his confidence started to wain the first time he was paired with Tiger and he felt he had no chance to compete with his game.

Compound that with swing issues and it's a toxic combination. Hunter has a ton of work ahead of him but he's got the talent to get it back.

I dont think Mahan is the putter Stricker is. He is another of a growing pile of golfers that have gotten the Foley treatment. Next up Justin Rose. After Hunters cheerleader wife leaves him and takes whatever she can. He will always have dancing with the stars

Foley is the same guy that said balls make a sound at impact due to air coming out of them ... WTF

Wait......WHAT? He really said that? Holy s*** that is funny.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1