2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rory's Outfit Thursday at The Players

jrgolfer37

I figured this thread would be controversial, I knew there were plenty of guys who do not like the style. What I didn't expect is all these "macho men" trying to be keyboard warriors. Saying that guys should be on the LPGA tour because they have elastic around their pants is pretty sad. It is a style of the young man. I truly cannot wrap my head around the fact that people think these pants are so non golf worthy. They are the exact same pants with frickin elastic on the ankles. For anyone wondering, I will be buying joggers with the belt loops, I will be wearing them to tournaments, and if people wanna talk crap and hate so be it. I'll let my game do the talking while being extremely comfortable and while looking cool.

That's good for you man; if you like it, own it.

They are goddamn ugly though.

They are not for everyone as we can see, like I sad tho I will let my game do the talking as does Rickie and Rory.

They are getting paid to wear that. Prolly like 900 inbound shipping containers of capri pants coming in from China.

Just wait a year and you can get 2 pairs free with a new driver.

Or a tank of gas.

Ok, ok, kidding, kidding ; )

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grown men talkin bout mens clothing....

clothes...clothes...were talkin bout clothes...clothes

Awww yes we are!...The man who speaks well does well....the man who dresses well does even better.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

This trend to me makes me think it will turn into more guys wearing jogging pants and sweats on the course to match the cuff look without buying $100 pants, I realize my opinion means little but this is another chip out of the class of the game. Say whatever you want but Fowler is more known for goofy clothes than golf, is that what he's after?

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

This trend to me makes me think it will turn into more guys wearing jogging pants and sweats on the course to match the cuff look without buying $100 pants, I realize my opinion means little but this is another chip out of the class of the game. Say whatever you want but Fowler is more known for goofy clothes than golf, is that what he's after?

I think Fowler is known for having the greatest finish to the Players Championship in history. Also Btw also known for being 5th in the world :)

Just trying to learn how to putt.

I think Fowler is known for having the greatest finish to the Players Championship in history. Also Btw also known for being 5th in the world :)

but more so for goofy clothes , and was once for goofy hair..... he said "more known " not only for.... Rickie is a wonderful player...which is all the more reason to dress for the job.. I know I know "get off my lawn" .... I just hate that kids coming up are seeing this as the way to dress respectfully while playing the game... I always thought for a tournament round or any sunday at the club round you dressed so as to only need to change shoes to be appropriate for the club dining room for sunday lunch ... can one truly expect to wear joggers in and be OK? and I belong to what I would call a "blue collar" club...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not the greatest finish in my opinion.

Well I'm sure he doesn't mind the extra cash that comes with it. Its not as if his knack for attracting attention with his style and persona somehow sacrifices his ability to play golf.

And the thing is this is just him. He grew up dirt biking in socal and learning golf at some dusty old range. He's just being himself. The fact that he happens to be different than almost everyone on tour has allowed him to make A LOT of extra dough.

but more so for goofy clothes , and was once for goofy hair..... he said "more known " not only for.... Rickie is a wonderful player...which is all the more reason to dress for the job.. I know I know "get off my lawn" .... I just hate that kids coming up are seeing this as the way to dress respectfully while playing the game... I always thought for a tournament round or any sunday at the club round you dressed so as to only need to change shoes to be appropriate for the club dining room for sunday lunch ... can one truly expect to wear joggers in and be OK? and I belong to what I would call a "blue collar" club...

That is exactly what myself and many others are not. Country club products. Rickie headed from the race track to the local driving range. No sunday rounds at the club or the dining room after the round. Golf is a game that needs growth. There are people on both sides of the spectrum. Fowler brought his style and flare to the game and has numerous young fans that follow him all over the world. Also I would like to know what exactly you think is a respectful way to dress? Boring khakis and earth tones? Is that what is respectable in the dining room and at the club? serious question, as I don't no.

Just trying to learn how to putt.

Diaper pants coming next, sponsored by Justin Bieber.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I figured this thread would be controversial, I knew there were plenty of guys who do not like the style. What I didn't expect is all these "macho men" trying to be keyboard warriors. Saying that guys should be on the LPGA tour because they have elastic around their pants is pretty sad. It is a style of the young man. I truly cannot wrap my head around the fact that people think these pants are so non golf worthy. They are the exact same pants with frickin elastic on the ankles. For anyone wondering, I will be buying joggers with the belt loops, I will be wearing them to tournaments, and if people wanna talk crap and hate so be it. I'll let my game do the talking while being extremely comfortable and while looking cool.

I should have qualified my statements. I don't care what anybody wears. Really don't care. But you asked what we think of it. I assume you asked the question to start a dialogue and expected not everyone would like it.

You really don't get it do you haha.

Who determines what's in style anyway? Nike, Puma? Is there a website where I can get updates?

I get that I don't get it. To me, because Rickie Fowler or Rory Mcilroy put on a certain outfit, I don't think that makes it in style. Payne Stewart wore knickers and it didn't bother me but I didn't automatically think all golfers would start wearing them.

I disagree with you, if you ask most people what they know about Fowler it's going to be "isn't that the guy that wears..."

That is exactly what myself and many others are not. Country club products. Rickie headed from the race track to the local driving range. No sunday rounds at the club or the dining room after the round. Golf is a game that needs growth. There are people on both sides of the spectrum. Fowler brought his style and flare to the game and has numerous young fans that follow him all over the world. Also I would like to know what exactly you think is a respectful way to dress? Boring khakis and earth tones? Is that what is respectable in the dining room and at the club? serious question, as I don't no.
I don't belong to a Country Club. I also don't wear boring khakis and earth tones. But I will not be wearing joggers on the golf course either. I don't think golfers clothing styles is what is keeping the game from growing.

I don't belong to a Country Club. I also don't wear boring khakis and earth tones. But I will not be wearing joggers on the golf course either. I don't think golfers clothing styles is what is keeping the game from growing.

Clothing style may not be the only thing that is keeping the game from growing, but it is one small part of a much larger issue which is golf (and some golfers) can be quite exclusionary. There are a lot of barriers to playing. While it is crucial to keep the basic tenets of the game intact, the game as a whole could be a lot more welcoming to newer and younger players. And it could be played faster.

Drn92

Bad pants make me angry

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

They'll go the way of the 'mock' turtle shirt....... Who wears those these days.....?

Just a fad, because long term, they will not continue to look good on anyone.......the ultra scruffy/casual look will swing back to a for,al structured look......this is what fashion does.

What amazes me is that so much of the clothing industry targets the youth, traditionally, they prolly spend more per head than older people, but in recent times the old fogeys outnumber the yoofs(sic)....... Why not come up with something different for the older doods?.....kilts anyone?

Can someone explain to me why these pants are so flame worthy:

but these are stylish and acceptable:

They literally look like longer plus fours, and from the comments on here guys are acting like he's dressed so ridiculously.

if you don't get that , theres no way for me to explain it to you .... the second one is equally horrible because of the coloring and football team logo, but that doesn't make Rorys look any better... I guess I live in the dark ages, but ive yet to see a man of any age wear joggers on a course..and the only ones I see in public are the Meth heads stopping for cigs at the gas station ...sometimes they will be in their PJs still.... I don't know why it gripes me ...I think because its Rory... Im not his biggest fan anyway , but I did think he had the status to tell Nike to F -off if he didn't want to wear some publicity stunt outfit... surely he doesn't actually like the look ? but maybe he does?? Rickie likes it , and can pull it off... But Rory is right up there with Heinrich Stenson with fashion sense.. they both have always dressed pretty sharp... How would Stenson look in high tops and Joggers? I hate to even think about it ..

I don't get it, because they are literally the same thing except the joggers have an extra 6 inches of fabric. They're actually closer to normal pants than plus four's, and farther from the man pri's and skorts everyone keeps complaining about. They're golf pants with an elastic bottom. Do I wear them? No. But I can't see the outrage over them. I highly doubt Nike is trying to market these to golfers over 35, they're trying to capture the junior and younger golfer market who wears pants like these already. Older golfers aren't going to go for them, but they're probably not buying Nike clubs or apparel anyway.

I officially feel old... 36 and im lumped into the "older golfer" group.. which in a way is fine.. just officially hit me right now.. im the 1st line of defense between those damn kids and us old folks... lol

Haha well sorry to break it to you but according to the official age cut off that I arbitrarily made up to fit the purposes of my argument you are old. One foot in the grave perhaps. Now I'll stay off your lawn.

Im not of the " country club " click either. I belong to " golf club " that has a dining room. But one would still not show up in blue jeans or jogging pants. I get what your saying to an extent. But it's not about colors . Loudmouth john Daly slacks would get looks but be just fine . I just don't see how jogging pants are ok. It's just more of the dumbing down of the society we live in. The excuse of " comfort " is used. Good grief. How uncomfortable are dress slacks ? Whatever. I saw this morning that Davis love has some loudmouth pants on this morning. No doubt to help defend Rickie and Rory . I guess I need to go to Walmart and buy some joggers and football cleats and just join the mass exodus.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not bothered by their dress at all as long as they comply with the dress standards of the tour, and if at their home course, comply with their dress codes. They look like they comply to me. As for being from the older generation I'm for the young guys expressing themselves. For me I think they look stupid and this change isn't for me, but that's me, not them. One thought was that Nike is striving for attention and copying the Puma expression. Yep, marketing at it's best.

I will say they look allot better than John Daly's attire.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

"Clothing style may not be the only thing that is keeping the game from growing, but it is one small part of a much larger issue which is golf (and some golfers) can be quite exclusionary. There are a lot of barriers to playing. While it is crucial to keep the basic tenets of the game intact, the game as a whole could be a lot more welcoming to newer and younger players. And it could be played faster."

I just don't see that. And I am as blue collar as anyone . Unless your talking about private clubs. And all that takes is money. . It's isn't about class trust me. You got the $ you can get in. Why does today's youth think everything must be changed to accommodate them? Why not conform to what the requirements are to participate in whatever it is you want to do?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wonder how many people in total are going tell us they could care less what another man wears? I don't care what they wear, I'd have a beer with them anyways, but it's not like I'm blind and can't see what they are wearing either. I'm a man, but I've always been very interested in clothes too. So what?

It is I couldn't care less. Because if you could, you would. How long until we see a flat brimmed hat turned to the side?