Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Been gaming these since mid-summer. Picked up a LOT of distance in the long irons, but the short irons are pretty much the same as my old Ping i20's. I probably hit the 4 iron about 25 yards longer than my old 4 iron. Crazy. Great feel, great looks, great performance. Buy with confidence.

Been gaming these since mid-summer. Picked up a LOT of distance in the long irons, but the short irons are pretty much the same as my old Ping i20's. I probably hit the 4 iron about 25 yards longer than my old 4 iron. Crazy. Great feel, great looks, great performance. Buy with confidence.

I tested the 7-iron for a fitting and hit it 13 yards longer than my current 7-iron. The extra distance is great but what happens when you get to the wedges? Don't you have a sizable distance gap somewhere that you cannot narrow?

That is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I am a little concerned about the dozens of sets for sale on Callaway Preowned, as well. Were these customers unhappy?

I don't think everything on Callaway Preowned is necessarily preowned and traded in or returned. Much of their inventory has to come from somewhere else.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I tested the 7-iron for a fitting and hit it 13 yards longer than my current 7-iron. The extra distance is great but what happens when you get to the wedges? Don't you have a sizable distance gap somewhere that you cannot narrow?

That is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I am a little concerned about the dozens of sets for sale on Callaway Preowned, as well. Were these customers unhappy?

I found that there was a sizable distance gap between my CF16 7 & 8 iron. Had 8-AW bent 2 strong and carry 52, 56, 60 wedges.

TM M3 440 - Tensei CK Blue 60S
Titleist TS2 3W - Tensei AV Blue 55R
Titleist 818H1 21, 25 - IRoD 95 
Callaway X Forged 18 - Recoil Proto 110 
Mizuno S18 - Recoil Proto 125
Evnroll ER2

Finally pull the trigger, the CF16 will go head to head with my Legacy Black. I demoed the CF16 long time ago and felt great but hitting the 7 iron too long. The reason i haven't pull the trigger before is the gap yardage on mid and long irons most of the review also say the same thing. But will see.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

Yardage gap is a bit of an issue, but until recently I was sort of fighting it. However, for most holes it doesn't matter, and the difference in flights comes in really handy in windy conditions.

But the gapping does work, it's just 15 yards instead of 10.

My PW is 115, and I'll use from about 120-105 depending on elevation of green and my lie.

9 is 130

8 is 145

7 is 160

6 is 175

5 is 190

Now all of those change frequently obviously due to conditions. But I just gave each of them a range, and since I'm not exactly pin hunting with anything more than an 8 iron, I just use the club up or down estimate based on conditions, then take my usual swing.

Been playing a bunch in HI since I'm here for work for a month and I've really settled in. Hit my 4 best rounds ever, and my shots using this are stopping usually within 1 foot of where they hit the green.

They're long irons, but that's not bad since you have more space at the bottom of the bag. Happy hitting!

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

I found that there was a sizable distance gap between my CF16 7 & 8 iron. Had 8-AW bent 2 strong and carry 52, 56, 60 wedges.

Did you have a gap between the 8 and PW, as well, that required adjustments? I love the irons, but in my own set, I have a 45* PW and carry a 48*, 52*, 56*, and a 58* bent to 59.5. Was hoping to reduce my wedges and add a FW or hybrid.

Did you have a gap between the 8 and PW, as well, that required adjustments? I love the irons, but in my own set, I have a 45* PW and carry a 48*, 52*, 56*, and a 58* bent to 59.5. Was hoping to reduce my wedges and add a FW or hybrid.

No issues with distance gaps 8-PW. They were all bent 2 strong though. PW is now 43.

TM M3 440 - Tensei CK Blue 60S
Titleist TS2 3W - Tensei AV Blue 55R
Titleist 818H1 21, 25 - IRoD 95 
Callaway X Forged 18 - Recoil Proto 110 
Mizuno S18 - Recoil Proto 125
Evnroll ER2

What irons have the serial number on the CF16?

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

Haven't picked up a club all year but stopped by Golfsmith today as they are closing.

Currently play 2014 Apex so curious about the CF16's.

They had 3 sets each with the following shafts

1) UST Recoil 100

2) KBS Tour V regular flex

3) Project X PXI 5.5

Used sets are currently 40% off so thinking about picking up a back up set.

Any thoughts are the above shafts? 6 iron ss is 84 mph. Tend to be a high ball hitter so anything that brings down my launch would be optimal.

Thanks

Haven't picked up a club all year but stopped by Golfsmith today as they are closing.

1) UST Recoil 100

3) Project X PXI 5.5

Any thoughts are the above shafts? 6 iron ss is 84 mph. Tend to be a high ball hitter so anything that brings down my launch would be optimal.

Thanks

The Project X PXi should bring your ball flight down if you have the standard XP95 shafts in your current Apex. I played the PXi for three years before getting the Project X LZ in my CF16's. The fitter went to the PXi to lower my ball flight on the Nike VRS Forged.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

1) UST Recoil 100

3) Project X PXI 5.5

Thanks

The Project X PXi should bring your ball flight down if you have the standard XP95 shafts in your current Apex. I played the PXi for three years before getting the Project X LZ in my CF16's. The fitter went to the PXi to lower my ball flight on the Nike VRS Forged.

Thanks Hoyer.

I ended up picking up the CF16 Apex irons 5-PW with PXI 5.5 for $450 out the door. I just learned that the gold paint fill on the hosel means these are 1* flat. Will need to get them bent back to standard or +1* upright.

In my current apex, I am playing 1/2 inch longer and 2* upright. If I leave the standard length on these new cf16 irons, I believe I can bend them to either standard or 1* upright to offset the standard length on them.

Thanks again and looking forward to trying these shafts out. Completely forgot, I was on Mizuno shaft optimizer last year and one of the shafts it recommended was the pxi 5.5.

1) UST Recoil 100

3) Project X PXI 5.5

Thanks

Thanks Hoyer.

I ended up picking up the CF16 Apex irons 5-PW with PXI 5.5 for $450 out the door. I just learned that the gold paint fill on the hosel means these are 1* flat. Will need to get them bent back to standard or +1* upright.

In my current apex, I am playing 1/2 inch longer and 2* upright. If I leave the standard length on these new cf16 irons, I believe I can bend them to either standard or 1* upright to offset the standard length on them.

Thanks again and looking forward to trying these shafts out. Completely forgot, I was on Mizuno shaft optimizer last year and one of the shafts it recommended was the pxi 5.5.

I picked up a set from Global Golf for a steal! 4-PW w/ recoil shafts. I did not know what to expect coming from a set of XRs that I truely loved. I thought I might lose some distance and forgiveness, but not at all! LOVE THESE STICKS! Distance is equal to my XRs, spin is much better, and the feel is fantastic! And I love the looks.

My XRs are great, but they are now for sale in the BST (shameless plug!) Apex are here to stay for a long while!

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

Re: gaps in the wedges - right now I have mine bent to 44/48/52/56 and then carry an MD3 LW- only issue right now is that I still am tweaking the 56, as I think something about the extra bounce (bent the 55) isn't gapping it to the 52 correctly. But nothing some range time and experimenting can't fix.

That said, the existing gapping was too much for me - PW to 115-120, AW 100-105, SW 85-90 was leaving me with more wedge gaps than I wanted.

The bent PW swings at about 115-120, 48 about 105-110, 52 about 95-100, 56 around 85-90, even if it means spending one more club to get there, it's worth it.

I love swinging these wedges though, they are great full swing wedges, and the MD3 LW handles almost all my touch and sand needs

• 2 weeks later...

I've read through the thread. A lot on the cf16s, not a lot on the pros. Im a 3-4 cap. I hit my irons well, but definitely wouldn't mind the extra forgiveness on slight misses and the extra yardage. My home course has some long par 3s. I'm worried about the fliers quite a few people have mentioned. Which makes me think i need to go with the pros, however, do the pros still have a ton of forgiveness like the cf16s? Obviously they won't have quite as much, but does it drop off enough to make the pros no more forgiving than a lot of other similar irons out there? Also, everyone is averaging 10yrds more in the longer irons with the cf16s. Anyone playing an entire set of the pros seeing increased yardage in the longer irons?

I've read through the thread. A lot on the cf16s, not a lot on the pros. Im a 3-4 cap. I hit my irons well, but definitely wouldn't mind the extra forgiveness on slight misses and the extra yardage. My home course has some long par 3s. I'm worried about the fliers quite a few people have mentioned. Which makes me think i need to go with the pros, however, do the pros still have a ton of forgiveness like the cf16s? Obviously they won't have quite as much, but does it drop off enough to make the pros no more forgiving than a lot of other similar irons out there? Also, everyone is averaging 10yrds more in the longer irons with the cf16s. Anyone playing an entire set of the pros seeing increased yardage in the longer irons?

After thinking I needed more forgiveness I switched to the cf16's from some MP-68's. This was a big mistake for me. The cf16s are definitely long and easy to hit, but there was something I did not like about them. I then switched to the pros and I am in heaven. They are forgiving, but not to the extent of the cf16s. If I were you, I'd go with the pros, but I'd also suggest hitting both. When I made the switch to the pros, I did lose a bit of distance from the cf16s, about 5 yards on average, but distance isn't everything.

I am a club ho. I play golf 4-5 days per week in retirement and I buy at least one set of irons every year and have owned clubs from every manufacturer I know of except PXG. Each set I buy promises to be straighter and longer than their previous versions. This was just hype until I bought my CF 16's. They really ARE longer, and I can't imagine ever getting rid of them. There's a reason they cost more. They're worth it!

Just the answer I needed! Did you have to make other adjustments? Like the 9iron strengthened a degree?

Sorry- I missed your reply.

Ordered a set of these today after trying a lot of similar clubs

Tried to get on with the mizuno jpx 900 forged but couldn't get on with them at all. Was disappointed as this was the set I really wanted going in to the store.

I gained 5 yards over my xr pros but distance wasn't what I was after. It was feel and control. As a newbie player (2 yeats) who has never played forged .WOW.

I had the best results with the same shaft I currently use which is the XP95 S300.

Average carry was 168 yards with 7 iron.

Ordered the same grip which is in the mack daddy 3 wedge which was meant to be an up charge but callaway waved the charge. Chuffed.

They bag appeal is also a plus point

Ordered a set of these to replace my "old" 2014 Apex irons from Callaway pre-owned. Snow here now so unfortunately won't be able to play them until the spring but from the one time I was able to hit them at the range, they seem more forgiving low on the face compared to the old Apex irons which is my miss. Very excited to play them!

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I recently got a set of these to replace a ~10 year old set of Adams Idea Pro. All I can say is wowwwwwwww!!!!! Gained anywhere from 10-25 yards, depending on the club (25 yard increase on the 5i! Seriously!), still maintain the feel I desire, and the look great. I'm like a whole new player now. It's incredible.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego