Tiger Rinsing 3 Balls @ Quicken Loans Ceremony

Rig14Port

Why do people think he hit it in the water on purpose?

I've been thinking about this a lot today, and I've actually developed a little bit of sympathy for the Tiger Truthers. Why do people think he did it in purpose? Because that's what they *have* to tell themselves to avoid admitting we've reached the end. They're still in bargaining, not yet ready for depression, much less acceptance. To a lot of people Tiger IS golf. He'll always be golf. Their most formidable memories of watching golf involve him. It is unfathomable, to them, that someone who could make a golf ball dance would be so afraid of taking a divot, he'd float three 90 yard wedges into the pond. We tell ourselves whatever stories we have to when we're desperately trying to hold onto the past. No one WANTS to see Tiger at the finish line. Even his supposed haters. But we're here, and it's sad. We're saying goodbye to an era. Some of us are saying goodbye to our childhood, essentially.

Personally, I never appreciated him enough when he was in his prime. I disliked the way he treated people, and so I put up blinders. I wanted Mickelson to stare him down, win a few majors, to rise to the level of being his actual rival instead of his theoretical rival. I admire him, but I could never love him.

Now I just want to hug him. I don't necessarily want to see him grind his way back to the top again, because I actually think he's a happier person now. I want to go back in time and appreciate how magical it was when he was great.

Tiger Truthers might be delusional, but I understand the delusion. Endings are crappy. No one imagined it would end like this. (And hey, maybe it won't. Maybe.) But no one is promised a happy ending. In a way, what's happening now is more realistic, more honest. Golf is beautiful, but golf is unforgiving.

Are you trying to make me cry? I read it the first time and was barely keeping it together. Then I put "Desperado" on the ipod and read it again and now I'm just a puddle. Thanks a lot.

Did Desperado make you come to your senses?

I feel better now. I could use a good cry.

Go rinse 3 balls from 100 yards. Might do the trick.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what's lost here is that, for the Tiger fans, nobody is saying he isn't still a great golfer. The point is he may not be healthy enough to regain a semblance of his old form. I haven't read any posts by the people that may not be Tiger fans suggesting that he has lost his skill. Just that the body isn't ready to cooperate and wondering if it ever will.

Anthony Galea's treatments didn't work?

that's a shocker.....

nobody is the same at 40 as they are at 20....you adapt to what you have......when jack won at 46, he was half as strong as he was but he adapted......

tigers "injuries" seem very fishy to me.....Maybe the HGH rumors will someday become truth..who knows

Many people are in better shape in their 40s than in their 20s, flexibility, strength included.

:ban:

that's a shocker.....

nobody is the same at 40 as they are at 20....you adapt to what you have......when jack won at 46, he was half as strong as he was but he adapted......

tigers "injuries" seem very fishy to me.....Maybe the HGH rumors will someday become truth..who knows

Many people are in better shape in their 40s than in their 20s, flexibility, strength included.

You should visit gyms =P

Intentional or not, those three swings looked identical in tempo, speed, etc. If you rinsed one 20 yards short would you give a little more the second time? And then twice?

You mean unless you did not care if you hit a great shot? Yes, they all looked like smooth 80 yard pitches.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Tiger clinic at Shadow Creek, Las Vegas last week.

Seems like he could stiff a 100 wedge...

[media=]

[/media]

Great footage! Tiger absolutely loves to bust people's b's.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

[media=]

[/media]

This is one of the ball striking videos a couple of us have referenced. Is he ready for the tour? Not even close. Is he so crippled he cannot hit a wedge? Oops not even close again. Will he ever come back? Who the h*** knows? Some hope he does and some just want to win a dinner-oops again, wrong thread on the dinner. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

[media=]

[/media]

In this video he says his sand wedge yardage is 118 yards.

Yet a week later he can't hit it on the green from 100 yards? Maybe he was hitting a lob wedge or maybe he just didn't care or there were other reasons.Like he just wanted to hit the ball and let the other guys be the focus of the event. Even with a bad back how could he hit balls like that yet a week later he can't?

Awesome relevant contribution and whoa, what a burn too! It's the "from Cleveland" card. That will surely silence me when it comes to commenting on the sickness of Fanboys and the Assosciated myopia.

I'm 43 years old and I've lived near this great, rich, Historical city for most of them. Your Ignorant criticism is meaningless.

Go Cuddle your Frank Head cover.

First, the first part is ironic as you display the same sickness as you just can't help yourself all the time.

Second, Cleveland... now it makes sense why you're so angry and bitter. If I where I lived was essentially a third world country I wouldn't be too happy either.

Time to loosen the bolts again Frankie...

http://www.cbssports...ods-until-2017/

Tiger Woods' former coach says we might not see Woods until 2017

"It just looks to me like it's going to be a while and maybe next year because there's nothing that we're hearing that tells us that Tiger is anywhere near ready to come back," said Haney. "The chance that he has to play great is better if he starts off next year and really gives himself plenty of time to just heal, to get his game going, and then take a run at it next year if he's ready to do that."

I agree with this. Woods' foundation is helping host the tournament at Riviera in February 2017. Why not lay low until then? That would be the perfect place for a return.

"I don't doubt that there's time to still see greatness," added Haney. "I have a hard time believing that we won't still see greatness. But I don't think we're going to see that greatness this year because I think the clock is ticking and it has ticked its way down where this year because this is a tough schedule with everything packed in with the Olympics and everything. I don't think it's going to happen this year."

Who is this Hank Haney you speak of? Is he the infomercial guy?

I would bet he could hit a green from 100 yds. At least clear the water :swoon:

Absolutely loved the banter .. he is a TON more personable than I thought he would be. Really fun to watch.

Also likes his candid take on where he is right now with regards to his swing and health.

Good watch.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

that's a shocker.....

You should visit gyms =P

World class athletes - which Tiger is one - are not in better shape in their 40s than their 20s. A lifetime of workouts and physical stress wears a body out.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I've been dealing with a minor back injury the past few months after falling on some ice. Now it takes me at least a dozen balls on the range before I can go after it. Once things loosen up I'm good to go. I'm sure Tiger is no different.

The one thing I've noticed with my own back that would give me worry regarding Tiger is the way I tighten up late in a round if the pace of play is slow which it always is on the PGA Tour by my standards. As long as I keep moving I'm good.

Now just imagine how much worse it would be if you had an actual serious back injury like Tiger.

You completely miss the point. This whole thread about tiger rinsing 3 balls is ludicrous. How many of you with no warmup could put it on the green on the 17th at TPC Sawgrass from 100 yards? That's basically what this shot was. Get real.

Awesome relevant contribution and whoa, what a burn too! It's the "from Cleveland" card. That will surely silence me when it comes to commenting on the sickness of Fanboys and the Assosciated myopia.

I'm 43 years old and I've lived near this great, rich, Historical city for most of them. Your Ignorant criticism is meaningless.

Go Cuddle your Frank Head cover.

First, the first part is ironic as you display the same sickness as you just can't help yourself all the time.

Second, Cleveland... now it makes sense why you're so angry and bitter. If I where I lived was essentially a third world country I wouldn't be too happy either.

Time to loosen the bolts again Frankie...

http://www.cbssports...ods-until-2017/

Tiger Woods' former coach says we might not see Woods until 2017

"It just looks to me like it's going to be a while and maybe next year because there's nothing that we're hearing that tells us that Tiger is anywhere near ready to come back," said Haney. "The chance that he has to play great is better if he starts off next year and really gives himself plenty of time to just heal, to get his game going, and then take a run at it next year if he's ready to do that."

I agree with this. Woods' foundation is helping host the tournament at Riviera in February 2017. Why not lay low until then? That would be the perfect place for a return.

"I don't doubt that there's time to still see greatness," added Haney. "I have a hard time believing that we won't still see greatness. But I don't think we're going to see that greatness this year because I think the clock is ticking and it has ticked its way down where this year because this is a tough schedule with everything packed in with the Olympics and everything. I don't think it's going to happen this year."

Who is this Hank Haney you speak of? Is he the infomercial guy?

I'm 3/4th's kidding. I have no issues with KYMAR. If I did I would just block him.

I am a 4 handicap player and could walk out cold and put at least one of three on a green 100 yards out! I mean come on! This is the second best golfer in history! A man who has hit 100's of thousands of ball and won 14 majors! There are only two options here... A. He did this on purpose for whatever reason, or B. He is done and just can't admit it to himself. Seriously, three balls from 100 yards? :WTF:

I've been dealing with a minor back injury the past few months after falling on some ice. Now it takes me at least a dozen balls on the range before I can go after it. Once things loosen up I'm good to go. I'm sure Tiger is no different.

The one thing I've noticed with my own back that would give me worry regarding Tiger is the way I tighten up late in a round if the pace of play is slow which it always is on the PGA Tour by my standards. As long as I keep moving I'm good.

Now just imagine how much worse it would be if you had an actual serious back injury like Tiger.

You completely miss the point. This whole thread about tiger rinsing 3 balls is ludicrous. How many of you with no warmup could put it on the green on the 17th at TPC Sawgrass from 100 yards? That's basically what this shot was. Get real.

So NOW we're all to be compared to arguably the greatest player of all time?

I am a 4 handicap player and could walk out cold and put at least one of three on a green 100 yards out! I mean come on! This is the second best golfer in history! A man who has hit 100's of thousands of ball and won 14 majors! There are only two options here... A. He did this on purpose for whatever reason, or B. He is done and just can't admit it to himself. Seriously, three balls from 100 yards? :WTF:

Handicap is irrelevant. Amount of procedures/operations is.

Tiger was wise to avoid going after a meaningless wedge shot, sans warmup, which created a scenario where he could very possibly re-injure an already fragile back he has spent an inordinate amount of time and money to nurse back to health in an effort to return to competitive golf.

In this context, he made a good decision. I hope he truly is progressing nicely, but just because he was the most dominant player in the game 10 years ago (and probably ever) doesn't mean physical limitations aren't a real thing. The difference between a cold swing and a fully warmed up swing are night and day for someone who has experienced that much work on their spine (full disclosure - I have not had any work done on my back so this is assumption).

He didn't hit three balls in the water on purpose. He likely decided to hit multiple shots because after the first (and subsequently the second) found the water, he felt he owed it to himself, the crowd, and to a lesser degree the sponsor, to put at least one on the green.

If a bad decision was made here, it would have been the decision to skip a warmup, despite the event being a simple PR spot and consisting of what should've been a single shot. TW has to know his every move is recorded and dissected by now... although I doubt this is getting traction anywhere outside of the wonderful world or WRX's Tour Talk.

At any rate, he probably doesn't give a ****.

Tiger was wise to avoid going after a meaningless wedge shot, sans warmup, which created a scenario where he could very possibly re-injure an already fragile back he has spent an inordinate amount of time and money to nurse back to health in an effort to return to competitive golf.

In this context, he made a good decision. I hope he truly is progressing nicely, but just because he was the most dominant player in the game 10 years ago (and probably ever) doesn't mean physical limitations aren't a real thing. The difference between a cold swing and a fully warmed up swing are night and day for someone who has experienced that much work on their spine (full disclosure - I have not had any work done on my back so this is assumption).

He didn't hit three balls in the water on purpose. He likely decided to hit multiple shots because after the first (and subsequently the second) found the water, he felt he owed it to himself, the crowd, and to a lesser degree the sponsor, to put at least one on the green.

If a bad decision was made here, it would have been the decision to skip a warmup, despite the event being a simple PR spot and consisting of what should've been a single shot. TW has to know his every move is recorded and dissected by now... although I doubt this is getting traction anywhere outside of the wonderful world or WRX's Tour Talk.

You're 100% right about the difference between being cold and warming up. There are some days where it's not a big deal, but there are others where it's very hard to make a decent turn for the first several shots. Especially when it's cold.

Anyone with a bad back has had those days where the first few wedges go nowhere. The worst thing to do is force is. That can lead to more issues.

As for Tiger, it's obvious that he was taking VERY smooth, slow swings. He's out with an injury, it's to be expected.

Did you have your 2nd back surgery a few months ago?

Don't forget, there were reports no that long ago that TW couldn't barely sit comfortably.

TW himself said just a few months or so ago...

"Asked the degree to which he can function, Woods said, “I walk. I walk and I walk some more.”"

I could walk out to that spot cold and hit at least 2/3 on the green. I'm almost 40, out of shape and playing the worst golf of my life. Saying he is done is incorrect, he's just a lot farther from recovery than anyone cares to admit. He did not dunk those on purpose, he is also not having trouble getting a tee time at his home course so is not prepared and he is not a 12 handicap chop. The tiger sniffers just need to realize he ruined his own career, and if we're all lucky he can be a top 75 player until his late 40's. Maybe he gets in the mix once or twice at a major, that would be cool. But he's nowhere close to returning, and if he does too soon again it could be the end of him.

You're 100% right about the difference between being cold and warming up. There are some days where it's not a big deal, but there are others where it's very hard to make a decent turn for the first several shots. Especially when it's cold.

Anyone with a bad back has had those days where the first few wedges go nowhere. The worst thing to do is force is. That can lead to more issues.

As for Tiger, it's obvious that he was taking VERY smooth, slow swings. He's out with an injury, it's to be expected.

You could be right, but I don't believe for one second that Tiger did not know he would be hitting shots and did nothing to warm up. For him to do so in his condition would be idiotic! Not only that, but I saw the video of him, only a week ago, hitting hard/solid drives and iron shots during an exhibition... Again, we are talking THREE from 100 YARDS! I'm sticking with A or B... :read:

Fart noise

Smells like it came from Jackson or Banks County, Ga. I guess your Nike gear comes from Tanger Outlets too. :telephone: :ontopic:

Good one?

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

Tigerrrrrrrr update

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/tiger-progressing-hasnt-ruled-return-161128714.html

Tiger Progressing, Hasn't Ruled Out Return After Quicken Loans

He's back to playing 18 holes, even in consecutive days, he said. He can practice. He can hit shots. His body just isn't quite ready for tournament golf.

"It’s about me playing 36 holes daily, getting up to speed and playing," he said. "I’m not quite there yet. I’m trying to get there. I’m trying to get there as fast as I can. I’m trying to do it right at the same time."

Doing it right is code for not pushing too hard and risking reaggravation of a nagging back injury that he's dealt with for years. He's still sore after playing, still can't do the things he feels he has to do to peg it against the best players in the world.

"I need to get to where I can play 18 holes out here and then got out on the range for an hour and work on my game," he said.

Tigerrrrrrrr update

https://www.yahoo.co...-161128714.html

Tiger Progressing, Hasn't Ruled Out Return After Quicken Loans

He's back to playing 18 holes, even in consecutive days, he said. He can practice. He can hit shots. His body just isn't quite ready for tournament golf.

"It’s about me playing 36 holes daily, getting up to speed and playing," he said. "I’m not quite there yet. I’m trying to get there. I’m trying to get there as fast as I can. I’m trying to do it right at the same time."

Doing it right is code for not pushing too hard and risking reaggravation of a nagging back injury that he's dealt with for years. He's still sore after playing, still can't do the things he feels he has to do to peg it against the best players in the world.

"I need to get to where I can play 18 holes out here and then got out on the range for an hour and work on my game," he said.

If that's his goal to be able to come back then I'm not sure he will ever come back. 30 minutes on the range then short game warm up then walk 18 then another hour on the range on a daily basis is just not going to happen for him with his back issues. That's what got him in his condition in the first place. If he wants to keep playing then he is going to have to pick and choose his spots because that amount of stress on a multiple time surgically repair back just isn't going to happen.