Tiger Rinsing 3 Balls @ Quicken Loans Ceremony

Rig14Port

Why do people think he hit it in the water on purpose?

I've been thinking about this a lot today, and I've actually developed a little bit of sympathy for the Tiger Truthers. Why do people think he did it in purpose? Because that's what they *have* to tell themselves to avoid admitting we've reached the end. They're still in bargaining, not yet ready for depression, much less acceptance. To a lot of people Tiger IS golf. He'll always be golf. Their most formidable memories of watching golf involve him. It is unfathomable, to them, that someone who could make a golf ball dance would be so afraid of taking a divot, he'd float three 90 yard wedges into the pond. We tell ourselves whatever stories we have to when we're desperately trying to hold onto the past. No one WANTS to see Tiger at the finish line. Even his supposed haters. But we're here, and it's sad. We're saying goodbye to an era. Some of us are saying goodbye to our childhood, essentially.

Personally, I never appreciated him enough when he was in his prime. I disliked the way he treated people, and so I put up blinders. I wanted Mickelson to stare him down, win a few majors, to rise to the level of being his actual rival instead of his theoretical rival. I admire him, but I could never love him.

Now I just want to hug him. I don't necessarily want to see him grind his way back to the top again, because I actually think he's a happier person now. I want to go back in time and appreciate how magical it was when he was great.

Tiger Truthers might be delusional, but I understand the delusion. Endings are crappy. No one imagined it would end like this. (And hey, maybe it won't. Maybe.) But no one is promised a happy ending. In a way, what's happening now is more realistic, more honest. Golf is beautiful, but golf is unforgiving.

Are you trying to make me cry? I read it the first time and was barely keeping it together. Then I put "Desperado" on the ipod and read it again and now I'm just a puddle. Thanks a lot.

Did Desperado make you come to your senses?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about this a lot today, and I've actually developed a little bit of sympathy for the Tiger Truthers. Why do people think he did it in purpose? Because that's what they *have* to tell themselves to avoid admitting we've reached the end. They're still in bargaining, not yet ready for depression, much less acceptance. To a lot of people Tiger IS golf. He'll always be golf. Their most formidable memories of watching golf involve him. It is unfathomable, to them, that someone who could make a golf ball dance would be so afraid of taking a divot, he'd float three 90 yard wedges into the pond. We tell ourselves whatever stories we have to when we're desperately trying to hold onto the past. No one WANTS to see Tiger at the finish line. Even his supposed haters. But we're here, and it's sad. We're saying goodbye to an era. Some of us are saying goodbye to our childhood, essentially.

Personally, I never appreciated him enough when he was in his prime. I disliked the way he treated people, and so I put up blinders. I wanted Mickelson to stare him down, win a few majors, to rise to the level of being his actual rival instead of his theoretical rival. I admire him, but I could never love him.

Now I just want to hug him. I don't necessarily want to see him grind his way back to the top again, because I actually think he's a happier person now. I want to go back in time and appreciate how magical it was when he was great.

Tiger Truthers might be delusional, but I understand the delusion. Endings are crappy. No one imagined it would end like this. (And hey, maybe it won't. Maybe.) But no one is promised a happy ending. In a way, what's happening now is more realistic, more honest. Golf is beautiful, but golf is unforgiving.

Tiger had enough happy endings in his life time......

this is way over the top but ok. Its how you feel.....while i say that, i do see the point in there but its just very extreme to me...

There must be a lot of orthopedic surgeons on WRX. Everyone seems to know everything about back surgery, knee surgery etc. They all must be really good considering everyone else seems to know whats best for Tiger!

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

Like I made abundantly clear in my first post, the key is MULTIPLE back surgeries. Anyone can recover from one back surgery. It's when you start having multiple surgeries is when you start to run into issues with scar tissue, nerve damage, etc.

I read today that Tiger has had three, although someone just posted that it was two.

Two of the micros and one "follow up" procedure after the second one. I posted earlier but again... from a neurosurgeon I know (who has operated on several famous athletes including a well-known golfer most everyone over the age of 40 would know) that follow up procedure was peculiar. He said he wouldn't have done a follow up so soon after a micro unless it was to fuse the spine. If that's the case, he'll never be the same. But we don't know for a fact, because Tiger's team has been hush hush about exactly what was done.

Anthony Galea's treatments didn't work?

that's a shocker.....

nobody is the same at 40 as they are at 20....you adapt to what you have......when jack won at 46, he was half as strong as he was but he adapted......

tigers "injuries" seem very fishy to me.....Maybe the HGH rumors will someday become truth..who knows

Not only did he not have a caddy to give him the right club, but he didn't even have a caddy telling him that he loves the club choice either, which must put a lot of doubt in his mind when attempting to clear the water hazard! Water hazards are no joke, you need to feel confident before attempting to clear them.

that's a shocker.....

nobody is the same at 40 as they are at 20....you adapt to what you have......when jack won at 46, he was half as strong as he was but he adapted......

tigers "injuries" seem very fishy to me.....Maybe the HGH rumors will someday become truth..who knows

Many people are in better shape in their 40s than in their 20s, flexibility, strength included.

that's a shocker.....

Many people are in better shape in their 40s than in their 20s, flexibility, strength included.

Uhhh...Ok. Not in my world.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

In a span of 50 seconds, Tiger hit three balls. As soon as the first flew into the air, Tiger, who was wearing a mic, spoke up. "That's in the water," and sure enough, it fell into the pond with a splash, stunningly well short of land.

"Did you like that one?" Woods said to the crowd. "Can I have another one? Boy was that stiff. Holy cow."

Word was Tiger had flown in earlier on this cool morning and hadn't practiced, and there was no doubt he was walking and moving gingerly, but still: A measly 102 yards with a wedge in his hands? One would think Tiger could roll out of bed and hit that green 100 times out of 100.

Onto his second shot. This one flew a little farther before it hit by the water's edge at the bank in front of the green, then disappeared.

"All right, that's good for me," Tiger said. Organizers, though, were ready for one more try, as another ball was tossed his way. "One more? Ah, come on."

So Tiger set up for another. "All right, come on, Tiger," he said under his breath, faintly audible over the microphone.

The third try actually made it over the pond. That's the good news. The ball hit on the bank, where there was no hope it would remain. It rolled for a moment and slipped into the water.

"See, need warmup," Tiger said as sponsors and organizers laughed a bit nervously and applauded robustly.

Awesome recap Jerry. And it dispels the absurd Notion that this was somehow intentional. I mean where is the punch line to that s*** show? Lol what a Shameless bunch of excuse makers the sycophants are.

What's up with your random capitalization? It doesn't Make sense At All.

Come at me bro!

Haha It's some goofy thing with the browser on my phone. Only happens here. Not twitter, or texts, just here. If I hit back space or clear a mis-swyped word, it does it to the next word I type. I used to fix it, but began wanting to scratch out my eyes So I just leave it now.

Was my spelling OK?

I just figured you had an old keyboard phone, where you would have to push the number 5 for J, push it twice for K, hold it for a capital letter, etc.

I pictured you making your posts from a Motorola Razr.

Wow.

red-line-gauge.jpg

Funny isn't it. How the Quicken ball splashes keep getting rehashed but no one has commented on either of our posts on how he appeared to be coming along nicely the last few weeks. Hmmm, must be part of the conspiracy.

Either #1 he had a setback, #2 he was not trying or #3 he was just real stiff and did not want to push it. Anyone got a fourth option based on recent events? Real or imagined?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

red-line-gauge.jpg

Funny isn't it. How the Quicken ball splashes keep getting rehashed but no one has commented on either of our posts on how he appeared to be coming along nicely the last few weeks. Hmmm, must be part of the conspiracy.

Either #1 he had a setback, #2 he was not trying or #3 he was just real stiff and did not want to push it. Anyone got a fourth option based on recent events? Real or imagined?

In the vid that "gantoise 1" posted earlier, you see a full swing with a wood at 22:16 that seems decent, full speed, good tempo. So, seems it's a setback or the back was just very stiff at the Quicken.

[media=]

[/media]

Either way, there is still clearly big interest in anything this guy does.

Tricky (and probably not reliable) to judge a great golfer by their worst moments. One month ago seeing Ernie Els on that first green at Augusta, I thought his career was over. Yet there he was last week at Sawgrass, on those terrifying greens, playing the weekend while Phil, Jordan, Rickie, et al. were sitting around sulking at home. The way this game works, it's not always easily explained or predicted.

Awesome relevant contribution and whoa, what a burn too! It's the "from Cleveland" card. That will surely silence me when it comes to commenting on the sickness of Fanboys and the Assosciated myopia.

I'm 43 years old and I've lived near this great, rich, Historical city for most of them. Your Ignorant criticism is meaningless.

Go Cuddle your Frank Head cover.

First, the first part is ironic as you display the same sickness as you just can't help yourself all the time.

Second, Cleveland... now it makes sense why you're so angry and bitter. If I where I lived was essentially a third world country I wouldn't be too happy either.

I've been dealing with a minor back injury the past few months after falling on some ice. Now it takes me at least a dozen balls on the range before I can go after it. Once things loosen up I'm good to go. I'm sure Tiger is no different.

The one thing I've noticed with my own back that would give me worry regarding Tiger is the way I tighten up late in a round if the pace of play is slow which it always is on the PGA Tour by my standards. As long as I keep moving I'm good.

Now just imagine how much worse it would be if you had an actual serious back injury like Tiger.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/tiger-woods-former-coach-says-we-might-not-see-woods-until-2017/

Tiger Woods' former coach says we might not see Woods until 2017

"It just looks to me like it's going to be a while and maybe next year because there's nothing that we're hearing that tells us that Tiger is anywhere near ready to come back," said Haney. "The chance that he has to play great is better if he starts off next year and really gives himself plenty of time to just heal, to get his game going, and then take a run at it next year if he's ready to do that."

I agree with this. Woods' foundation is helping host the tournament at Riviera in February 2017. Why not lay low until then? That would be the perfect place for a return.

"I don't doubt that there's time to still see greatness," added Haney. "I have a hard time believing that we won't still see greatness. But I don't think we're going to see that greatness this year because I think the clock is ticking and it has ticked its way down where this year because this is a tough schedule with everything packed in with the Olympics and everything. I don't think it's going to happen this year."

Awesome relevant contribution and whoa, what a burn too! It's the "from Cleveland" card. That will surely silence me when it comes to commenting on the sickness of Fanboys and the Assosciated myopia.

I'm 43 years old and I've lived near this great, rich, Historical city for most of them. Your Ignorant criticism is meaningless.

Go Cuddle your Frank Head cover.

First, the first part is ironic as you display the same sickness as you just can't help yourself all the time.

Second, Cleveland... now it makes sense why you're so angry and bitter. If I where I lived was essentially a third world country I wouldn't be too happy either.

[media=]

[/media]

Time to loosen the bolts again Frankie...

http://www.cbssports...ods-until-2017/

Tiger Woods' former coach says we might not see Woods until 2017

"It just looks to me like it's going to be a while and maybe next year because there's nothing that we're hearing that tells us that Tiger is anywhere near ready to come back," said Haney. "The chance that he has to play great is better if he starts off next year and really gives himself plenty of time to just heal, to get his game going, and then take a run at it next year if he's ready to do that."

I agree with this. Woods' foundation is helping host the tournament at Riviera in February 2017. Why not lay low until then? That would be the perfect place for a return.

"I don't doubt that there's time to still see greatness," added Haney. "I have a hard time believing that we won't still see greatness. But I don't think we're going to see that greatness this year because I think the clock is ticking and it has ticked its way down where this year because this is a tough schedule with everything packed in with the Olympics and everything. I don't think it's going to happen this year."

Who is this Hank Haney you speak of? Is he the infomercial guy?

Are you trying to make me cry? I read it the first time and was barely keeping it together. Then I put "Desperado" on the ipod and read it again and now I'm just a puddle. Thanks a lot.

Did Desperado make you come to your senses?

I feel better now. I could use a good cry.

that's a shocker.....

Not when they have had this many injuries and surgeries.

How many people broke a keyboard during this one??

I'll say I see valid points on both sides.

In summation of everything I've read and what most of us know:

If your a fan, it was a sad sight. If you're a hater then you loved it.

Do I think he actually hit it in the water on purpose? No way.. Did the dude need a caddie to tell him anything? No. Sorry, but no caddie is a poor excuse, unless he was told it was a 100 yard shot, and he was hitting exactly 100 yards when it was actually 106 or whatever, I'd find that to be plausible. Could he have been handed the wrong club and was being a good sport and going along with it? Absolutely. Could he have gone after it a little more and kept it on? Yes, I think he was trying to hit it close.

Most importantly, if you don't have back problems, you aren't familiar with what the difference between swinging cold and warmed up is.. the description cold could almost be taken literally as it feels like your spine is trying to thaw out. I have a 91 mph swing speed with a 6i which is nothing insane, but it's reasonably fast. If you were to hand me a 6i without warming up at all, especially if the weather is anywhere below 70*, I'd have trouble clearing 160 with it. Maybe he was actually being cautious and not swinging too fast with a back that is known to go bad on him after he's put a years worth of recovery into it.

It's puzzling to see the GOAT miss like that multiple times. It shows he's obviously not what he once was, but who was really expecting to see that in the video? There's a reason he hasn't brought himself back to competition yet.. What happens when he does is yet to be determined, but the fact that it makes some people happy to rip him apart when they see this is a bit sad.