2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Lunch today, this is a more urgent post than golf, lunch is always urgent.

https://imgur.com/a/JRtNS

Lettuce,

Sliced mango ( my very very favourite fruit )

Sliced avocado

Rice noodles

And very large prawns.

It is a prawn cocktail, served with a beautiful tasty sauce.

Looks good Tol. Love some large shrimp prepared just about any way.

We have to take what we can get while on the road. When in SoCal in the

greater inland empire we often stop at Farmer Boy's for a Cobb salad. A

very popular spot to eat................

o.jpg

Good looking meal, some eating houses serve really good food.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

..........Speaking of which I saw something the other day which surprised the he** outta me.

The ever mild mannered and always reasonable 6'5" tall Marine who also and always

responds to the name Sean2, started a thread wherein he let everyone know that if

they didn't like what he was wearing, or playing, or saying, that they could just eff

off and mind their own effing business!

Dang! It got 9 posts in it I think before it was locked up! But the thread was still there

and was not deleted......in General Golf. I wanted to post in it but, of course, could not.

I'd never seen Sean so riled up about something.....and I've seen him pretty riled up, lol.

That ole Tiger there came to life!

I just looked and it's still there....

http://www.golfwrx.c...hey-busybodies/

I like Sean2. He took the time to welcome me when I posted for the first time in the Intro thread. First "like" as well. I remember those small things. He shows up occasionally over in classics. But not the first time he's been riled up about something. IIRC, a year ago, maybe two, he was going to call it quits with WRX. Don't remember the details, but he was PO'ed about something. Sean is one of those posters around here that has "cred" IMHO.

And it was a quality rant. Still was able to furnish a like even though the thread was locked. Brings to the fore those really stupid topics thats a total waste of bandwidth. Inconsequential minutia. By the arrogant a**holes that all to frequently populate the WRX environs. Was unaware of his post. Surprised that it was shut down after only 9 replies. And that stupid "only old people should use graphite shafts" thread went three pages before being locked. On two separate occasions, composed a pithy reply that I was going to post up. Only to come to my senses before hitting the post button. That one really pissed me off. But discretion won out. Don't get involved. Posting makes one part of the problem ("Don't feed the Trolls"). But really wanted to lay on a big FU to that one.

Really shouldn't be browsing these "controversial" threads. "Make Me Wanna Holler". And that serves zero purpose.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

And here I thought that the one step being referred to was suggesting you might play better if you broke, tossed or otherwise smashed clubs...

Nothing to do with better golf, the satisfaction of showing the bloody golf club who is in charge. :lol:

My clubs and I are working things out....I can hit a pretty baby draw....a beautiful shooting star dropping slowly a short distance

to the right.....a perfectly high arched straight shot.......and the clubs even allow these shots to happen sometimes when I want

them too...most of the time tho, It wasn't exactly the shape I pictured...

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Lunch today, this is a more urgent post than golf, lunch is always urgent.

https://imgur.com/a/JRtNS

Lettuce,

Sliced mango ( my very very favourite fruit )

Sliced avocado

Rice noodles

And very large prawns.

It is a prawn cocktail, served with a beautiful tasty sauce.

Looks good Tol. They are some big prawns indeed. Looks like it would be go well with an asian style dressing.

I understand there are some pretty big asian influences on Aussie cuisine, as one would expect given it's location and the number of asian immigrants there.

Bill, MP-5's are pretty high strung. Maybe they need a good bash to teach them who's the boss. In a "spare the rod, spoil the child" sort of way.

Just Say'n.

I am thinking more along the lines of a long rest time in the dark closet.....where they can just barely see through a crack in the door.....and

they can see the 2002 Cobra's....with their 18" wide sole plate....shining brightly and getting used ! I felt obligated to play these things....now i may sit them aside until warm temperatures return.That'll teach em.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Hey there golf buds! Waz up?!?!?!

Doesn't sound like anyone received a lump of coal from Santa so we all have that going for us.

I fully admit to youthful tantrums where the sticks were slammed, slung, and cursed. There's a wedge I know for sure is sleeping with the fishes in a pond fronting a par 5 green following a career drive. Somewhere along the way it finally became obvious when watching others loose it out there that the game is a test of emotion and I failing that test! LOL. That and the financial costs of my rants were racking up so maybe it was a little of both that turned a full boil more into more abbreviated mumbling curses.

Also found out (for me personally) it has this way of leaking backwards into the swing. Yup - what started off as a little fit in the finish pose was becoming a sense of anticipation about getting upset at address. LMAO - it reached the point of mapping out my rant-strategy before impact. When that light-bulb finally went off it was time to hang up the game or learn to beat the emotional side before it beat me. Did that make me a far better golfer? Not really! LOL... just a far happier one.

Observations as X-mas '16 moves into the rearview mirror:

1. Albeit at times gray and cloudy - I don't recall it being at or near 70F on Christmas day. Made it all seem surreal..

2. Affordable gasoline - really filled the highways, But with that we never saw a single law enforcement vehicle coming or going on a journey 300+ miles each way.

3. Never followed George Michael or Carrie Fisher much, Admittedly enjoyed "Freedom" by Wham and Star Wars was a flick Mrs. Reason and I watched at a drive-in theater on our way home from our Honeymoon over 36 years ago. We were on our honeymoon in a drive-in theater. Don't remember much about the movie itself - we were busy creating our own special effects. TMI and we will move on...

4. Perhaps this year more than ever - Thanksgiving and Christmas visits to family revealed the absolute contrast in energy and health between the younger and aging sides of the family. Nuff said about that one as all will relate to that one in their own way.

Oh and one more bit of catching up.... The future son-in-law served me up one of those wrist-watch golf GPS doo-dads as a Christmas gift. I can now walk the daughter down the aisle this coming year with a smile. He's good to go after that move! And just FYI - it's about 12500 yards to the middle of the nearest green from where I'm sitting. Wonder if I can get there in two???

MB blades are a fickle mistress. Beautiful to look at, a joy to play with, when the climatic conditions are sunny and warm. But when the temps become cool, they become distant and detached. Unresponsive to a gentle touch. That is why a "Plain Jane" set of CB's are always on hand. They're always willing to be taken to the dance. Despite their misperceived limitations.

"We are a puny and fickle folk. Avarice, hesitation and following are our diseases" - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Have this dark closet in the garage. Misbehaving implements get placed there to cool their heels for awhile. Let them "freeze their ferrules" before allowing them to see the light of day (and a return to the bag) again. Putters usually. Especially putters.

Bill, MP-5's are pretty high strung. Maybe they need a good bash to teach them who's the boss. In a "spare the rod, spoil the child" sort of way.

Just Say'n.

I wonder if a set of well used MP-60's that I'm looking at have the same shortcomings? Rifle shafts, cheap and those well worn brown spots centre of clubface; they'll look intimidating even if my game says different! :blush:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Oh and one more bit of catching up.... The future son-in-law served me up one of those wrist-watch golf GPS doo-dads as a Christmas gift. I can now walk the daughter down the aisle this coming year with a smile. He's good to go after that move! And just FYI - it's about 12500 yards to the middle of the nearest green from where I'm sitting. Wonder if I can get there in two???

Not even with an M82! Still, nice play on the part of the future SIL. :fan_1:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Welcome back Reason. Sounds like you had a nice Christmas.

Props to the future SIL. Good form. Smart guy, taking care of the future FIL appropriately. Don't own any electronic doo-dads. Seriously contemplated getting one of those GPS watches before let season. A Garmin. Then realized, seemingly everyone I play at golf with has one. So redundant. I just ask them, "What's the yardage?". Then listen to them argue whether its 120 yards, or 123. Ok, got it, close enough. Someone always wants to enlighten me on second shots with, "I'm showing 245 yards to the pin". Thanks. Guess I'll just hit my 3 wood and hope for the best. Can I tee it up and use my driver?

Then sometimes they forget to bring their gizmos (my golf league partner) which annoys the hell out of me. How did you forget?

BTW, the distance to the closet green. Getting there in two. Is that in two hours or two days? Just clarifying.

Point #4. Relate and understand completely. Something that was thought about as I quietly observed the family gatherings this holiday season. A very mixed emotion of joy and sadness. New beginnings with several newborns in the greater family, and likely last holiday season for one. Life never stops evolving.

Just Say'n.

I wonder if a set of well used MP-60's that I'm looking at have the same shortcomings? Rifle shafts, cheap and those well worn brown spots centre of clubface; they'll look intimidating even if my game says different! :blush:

Everything is relative. How cheap is cheap. How badly worn. An acquisition as a secondary set or as a potential front line replacement. Surmising you're performing your due diligence. But the 60's sound to be a bit of a handful. So probably best to approach with caution and eyes wide open.

I've been window shopping and learning about Mizunos of late. Seems to be an appropriate way to waste some off-season time. But they have me intrigued. For S & G demoed the MP-25's last summer. They were REALLY nice. Even with the KBS whatever shaft in stiff and 1" to short. But at $1K plus, no way. Trending backwards to previous models, attempting to determine the "sweet spot" in the used markets, sorta arrived at the MP-64's as maybe being the high value option for a set of GI, Players, or however they're labeled, Mizuno irons. Couple of generations old (IIRC) and within the range of affordability from what I see on eBay.

The one thing that has me cautious with Mizuno's, they seem to have a propensity towards face browning at a quicker rate than forged clubs from other manufacturers. Or so I've noticed.

Not that you were necessarily asking, but my take.

Edit add: Much rather demo old(er) golf clubs than new stuff any day.

Just Say'n.

Everything is relative. How cheap is cheap. How badly worn. An acquisition as a secondary set or as a potential front line replacement. Surmising you're performing your due diligence. But the 60's sound to be a bit of a handful. So probably best to approach with caution and eyes wide open.

Thanks. My Golden Rams were cheap for a part set at $30 + shipping. The MP-60's are BIN for $110+S&H. Not exactly cheap, cheap, but low enough to get my attention. I know that I've seen MX-23's up here for around $185 at 2nd hand shops in similar condition.

How worn? Tough to say beyond the obvious browning. That doesn't bother me. They're in pretty decent shape other than that, but there's no doubt that they have been played, still more than adequate for a second line set of modernish clubs.

I had a set of Adams Pro Golds that I played with a bit a few years back. Should have kept them, but they ended up financing my i25's. I found a set of Pro Golds too at the same price. I sort of know what i'm up against with the Prog Golds so had assumed the MP-60's might play pretty similarly. They're not idiot proof, but if you put a good swing on you should get a good result. Mostly though I'm looking for a little better turf interaction that i get from the Pings with their sole width and copious amount of bounce. Hey it's a trade off and I get that. I just prefer the way my vintage sets play in general to the moderns so trying to find a compromise.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Put a good swing on the club, we can play anything! You and I have discussed our thoughts about the Pings. Play them just because, we've made the investment, when our swing is a little off, a fallback position, yada yada. But they do not play quite like they once did. And the i's are the more modest sole width alternative. The remain something of a conundrum.

Of the belief that Hogan Apex Pluses are a great value right now in used, forged CB irons with thinner soles, less bounce, minimal offset, and some perimeter weighting assistance. (Prejudiced? Perhaps.) But I see some real bargains on eBay for nice sets in the $100 -$125 range. Saw a nice set sell for $70 just before Christmas. Clean, no browning, minimal bag chatter. Personally I would tend to look in that direction versus a browned out set of Mizunos at essentially the same price. Especially as a secondary set.

The eBay'er out of Quebec seems to list A+ with some degree of regularity. Here's a potential steal in the making if they go for less than $150. Unfortunately, U.S. only shipping, but a representative example. Hogan Apex Plus 2 -SW, Apex 3:

http://www.ebay.com/...wsAAOSw44BYYJsU

I'm beginning to feel like a real "buttinsky" now. Apologies.

Not at all. I always appreciate your feedback.

The listing you posted is indeed a very good value at current bid. Worth a PM to seller to see if he would ship north.

[Added] Did a bit more research. Potentially all three iron models in question have similar Maltby mpf ratings. Does that mean much? I don't know, but the raw data is similar so you would think they will play similarly with the same/similar shafts.

An interesting piece of data trivia. The average head weight of a 6 iron has gone up about 10 gm in the past 20 years. A necessary evil to counteract the trend towards lighter shafts. Mpf ratings haven't gone up in that span so whether you believe in that rating system or not, it maybe a hint as to why many of us don't really notice an increase in playability in irons over the years. Just what the heck do we buy new clubs for anyway if nothing has really changed in a material way? They maybe longer, but they aren't any easier to use!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I was mired in an awful swing funk at the end of last season. So bad that I didn't want to play and had no interest in purchasing/building clubs. In a few words, it was a foreign experience.

I've taken a few lessons in recent weeks, bantered with a few WRX friends and feel like I'm turning a corner.

For poops and giggles I purchased a few of the following heads (8 - 6 iron) as Golfworks had free shipping and I needed building supplies. I like the minimal stamping, constant (low) offset and overall appearance. I had a set of XP 90 shafts laying around so what the heck. They can be paired with blades from 9 iron on down or I'll add Maltby short irons if I like their profile and performance.

PS - also purchased a pair of Ashworth wingtip golf shoes that feel and fit great. I'll break them in during my winter simulator sessions.

PD is back in the fold.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

PD back in da house! Alright! You were missed. Swing funks are a common occurrence for all of us. All one can do is work through the issues in hopes of better days ahead. One reason why I don't mind the off-season that we have. An opportunity to step away for awhile, decompress, contemplate our approaches to the game, regain the enjoyment. Think it does us good. Playing at golf 12 months a year could become overly compulsive. BTW, classy kicks. More irons? I always liked the look of those TE heads. Clean and simple. Did you finish up the Apex's?

I'll begin considering swing things again along about the end of February. Until then, have a bench full of Ho'in stuff that needs to be worked on.

Fella,

The Apex (Redlines and '99's) are built and ready to go. They are waiting for their day(s) in the sun. The Redlines have developed a beautiful patina (as the faces were blasted raw). I just picked up some vintage ferrules from ebay. Wish I would have had them during the initial build, but so goes life. An excuse to build/re-build at a later date.

As for the TE forged . . . I've looked at them many times and have read too many positive reviews. Not to mention the fact that they bear my initial 'M' as a stamp. They have a 'classic' look that is so reminiscent of many irons I like from yesteryear.

I've now got an excuse to build in the next few weeks. A project or two while I'm off.

I think I've found a use for all of the long irons that I never will hit. Feast your eyes on my next project. A proper use for long iron blades. PD style.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Fella,

The Apex (Redlines and '99's) are built and ready to go. They are waiting for their day(s) in the sun. The Redlines have developed a beautiful patina (as the faces were blasted raw). I just picked up some vintage ferrules from ebay. Wish I would have had them during the initial build, but so goes life. An excuse to build/re-build at a later date.

As for the TE forged . . . I've looked at them many times and have read too many positive reviews. Not to mention the fact that they bear my initial 'M' as a stamp. They have a 'classic' look that is so reminiscent of many irons I like from yesteryear.

I've now got an excuse to build in the next few weeks. A project or two while I'm off.

I think I've found a use for all of the long irons that I never will hit. Feast your eyes on my next project. A proper use for long iron blades. PD style.

PD, thats gorgeous, sell those!

Id buy one.

Sco, haven't used MPF ratings in the past. Primarily because I don't think about it. So have no idea how they're derived, opinion on validity, or an understanding of meaningful range differentials. WTS, you're mentioning made be curious. So went off to look at some numbers:

Pings (due to the familiarity): Take away, the S series is as playable, if not more so than the I.

i20 - 469 S57 - 612 G20 - 816

i25 - 512 S56 - 552 G25 - 821

IE1 - 566 S55 - 594 G - 832

Hogan Apex Plus - 163 What?

Hogan Apex MB - 327 2x as playable as above?

Mizuno MP-60 - 451

Mizuno MP-64 - 393

Mizuno MP-4 - 397

Maltby TE Forged - 788 Hmm!

Maltby MMB-17 - 714 Double Hmm! As a CB/MB combo set with above.

Irons that I've played BITD:

Snake Eyes 600C - 506 A Jeff Sheets design, near carbon copy of the Apex Plus that he also designed a couple of years prior.

Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scots - 677 Should never have traded them in evidently.

Ping Eye 2 - 724

And because there are several Grillsters playing them:

MacGregor V-Foil 1025M - 600 (!) Perhaps the MB we all should be playing?

For laughs, a set I happen to own (but never played):

1960 MacGregor CF4000 - Negative 341 How is this even possible? Harder to hit than a zero playability factor.

What does it all mean? Idk. Maybe that new irons are really no different than the old, within a given category. Seemed like something to do because I was bored.

I think all you grillsters are brave the way you chop and change clubs, I have major problems when I pick up a new set, takes me weeks to get the feel. Apart from my last set, last Xmas, callaway with a graphite shaft, hit better with them than any other clubs I have owned, more consistent and only had one day where I had to show them who was boss, left them in the car boot until they begged to come out, of was it the wife needed to go Shopping?

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Oh My!! That coat hanger rack is damn sweet. Just stole your pic....TFP. To think I was going to pitch the random junk that's been laying around.

Did you adjust the lie angle before or after assembly?

I used to shoe horses for a living, the old shoes were easy to turn into coat hangers, could never make enough of them.

I have a few old clubs might try the club coat hanger, looks cool.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

To be clear, PD has not built the coat/hat rack yet but he will. I found the idea while surfing ETSY with my wife and she suggested I give the project a go given the iron heads I have in storage. I've found instructions and it calls for JB weld. I could still use the irons afterward if I drill out the old shafts or use a bolt in the hosel. The project calls for the heads to be attached on a slight angle. I'll post pics of a final product when finished.

To be clear, PD has not built the coat/hat rack yet but he will. I found the idea while surfing ETSY with my wife and she suggested I give the project a go given the iron heads I have in storage. I've found instructions and it calls for JB weld. I could still use the irons afterward if I drill out the old shafts or use a bolt in the hosel. The project calls for the heads to be attached on a slight angle. I'll post pics of a final product when finished.

Three times for emphasis (darn phone)

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I think all you grillsters are brave the way you chop and change clubs, I have major problems when I pick up a new set, takes me weeks to get the feel. Apart from my last set, last Xmas, callaway with a graphite shaft, hit better with them than any other clubs I have owned, more consistent and only had one day where I had to show them who was boss, left them in the car boot until they begged to come out, of was it the wife needed to go Shopping?

LOL. Don't know if being "brave" is part of the equation. Probably more foolish than anything. But doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference one way or another with how I play. Or score. I'm an equal opportunity hacker. So why not switch things up periodically. Furthermore, since I remain mediocre while playing at golf, might as well get semi-proficient with playing at golf clubs.

But P. Daddy has introduced a whole new concept for fun and profit. And an opportunity to cull the herd and make $$$ selling coat racks on the craft show circuit. No more used clubs for Fella, gonna be shopping for new very soon.

Belated Merry Christmas to all and an early Happy New Year. Been a bit tough letting the clubs sit since August...work tends to do that to me and my game. Not complaining as I would like to retire in about 25-35 years with more than $25 in the bank. :) That said, I hope someone out there is getting to hit balls and enjoy the season before it really gets cold(er).

Not even with an M82! Still, nice play on the part of the future SIL. :fan_1:

LMAO - So true.

Welcome back Reason. Sounds like you had a nice Christmas.

Props to the future SIL. Good form. Smart guy, taking care of the future FIL appropriately.

BTW, the distance to the closet green. Getting there in two. Is that in two hours or two days? Just clarifying.

Point #4. Relate and understand completely. Something that was thought about as I quietly observed the family gatherings this holiday season. A very mixed emotion of joy and sadness. New beginnings with several newborns in the greater family, and likely last holiday season for one. Life never stops evolving.

Thank you very kindly. That might take at least two days, And I sort of figured that sentiment about young and old might resonate with others. There's also one on this end who won't see another Christmas and if she somehow does, she won't even know what day it is.

Three times for emphasis (darn phone)

Yes indeed. Yes Sir. And A-OK! lol

The Maltby TE heads arrived this morning (only a day after shipping - love Golfworks) and they are handsome. The top-line is nearly identical to my Wishon 575's (a small profile player's cavity) with a slightly longer blade length and toe height. I can see why so many like the appearance of these heads.

I'd love to build right now but it's cold in the garage and I'm lacking motivation. Those in the know will remember my space heater debacle and 1/2 year electrical challenges.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)