2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

The Maltby TE heads arrived this morning (only a day after shipping - love Golfworks) and they are handsome. The top-line is nearly identical to my Wishon 575's (a small profile player's cavity) with a slightly longer blade length and toe height. I can see why so many like the appearance of these heads.

I'd love to build right now but it's cold in the garage and I'm lacking motivation. Those in the know will remember my space heater debacle and 1/2 year electrical challenges.

Glad you like GolfWorks...I've said before on here it's so nice to live so close to them, 10 minutes from my house, 10 minutes from my work, and my work is 10 minutes from my house. (true) Actually it's all a perfect triangle. Sometimes I go there from home, sometimes I go there from work, sometimes GolfWorks brings all their stuff to me at work, and sometimes GolfWorks and I take all their stuff from work to my home... (false) uh, no, I was wonderin' how far I could stretch that little tale... anyway, they're all very nice people and they really know their stuff...

The Maltby TE heads arrived this morning (only a day after shipping - love Golfworks) and they are handsome. The top-line is nearly identical to my Wishon 575's (a small profile player's cavity) with a slightly longer blade length and toe height. I can see why so many like the appearance of these heads.

I'd love to build right now but it's cold in the garage and I'm lacking motivation. Those in the know will remember my space heater debacle and 1/2 year electrical challenges.

Glad you like GolfWorks...I've said before on here it's so nice to live so close to them, 10 minutes from my house, 10 minutes from my work, and my work is 10 minutes from my house. (true) Actually it's all a perfect triangle. Sometimes I go there from home, sometimes I go there from work, sometimes GolfWorks brings all their stuff to me at work, and sometimes GolfWorks and I take all their stuff from work to my home... (false) uh, no, I was wonderin' how far I could stretch that little tale... anyway, they're all very nice people and they really know their stuff...

My son purchased my new clubs from golf works last year, the depot is on the west coast, we live on the east coast, it's a long way just like America. They were delivered to our house the day after they were ordered. Fantastic service and very profession and knowledgable staff.

Originally he wanted to support the locals, and tried to purchase them from the pro shop at the club we are members, they were pathetic and not really interested in filling a custom order, buy off the shelf was OK, golf works discussed my requirements at length with him, swing speed, age, height, handicap, and many other small details, was really impressed. Suffice to say no more purchases from our local club.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

So today's lunch, another Calory laden meal. We have been on a health kick for the past few months, Xmas has put a stop to that, so after this week we will be back into the healthy stuff :lol:.

Large Tiger prawns.

Scallops cooked in a herb butter.

Potato salad, home made

Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and cooked on a griddle pan

Grape tomatoes

Butter lettuce

Strong Asian sauce

Dates, de stoned and stuffed with goats cheese and thyme leaves.

Went down well with a glass of red.

Cheers one and all have a good day.

https://imgur.com/a/PVQ66

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Triangulation between work, home and golf store. All an equilateral triangle (for navigational purposes) from home. You're a fortunate man SSP.

Agree with what's been said about GW. Tip-top CS on those occasions when I needed to talk with a real live body. They once sent the wrong extensions from what I head ordered. Called them about it, received the replacements the next day. Didn't even want the incorrect ones back. But returned them anyway. Wouldn't have been right to keep them. Surprising though, never have bought a club head from them.

BITD, had a Golfsmith store about 15 minutes from home. When it was at the peak of the club building and component era. Would constantly be in that store, checking out heads, shafts, grips. Spent a fair amount of coin there on stuff. Then they closed it and moved about 30 miles away. Close enough, but not pop in convenient.

Miss those long ago club building days. During the early 2000's, my entire bag was comprised of Snake Eyes clubs that I had built myself. Considered it my anti-OEM bag as it were. Always felt that GS had high quality component heads that didn't look at all "Cloneish". GS would have discounts and % off coupons in January, would buy the prior year's models and save a bunch of money. Built many a club for myself and others doing it this way. Still have a fair amount of SE clubs around. Driver, 3W, wedges, a couple of putters and a 7W that still resides in the bag today. Should have never sold off the forged 600C's, for next to nothing, once I went OEM. Stupid. I didn't know about such things.

So with P Daddy back in the Grille, I'm watching his TE iron build with interest. He's a bigger club ho than the average Grillster. I live vicariously. Sorta hope he reports back after hitting his shiny new TE irons, "Garbage, can not hit, do not want". Because I'm getting crazy thoughts looking at the DBM iron heads. Those stealthy black ones. Oh my! Calculating how much a 6 - GW set would cost. What and how much of current inventory would need to be liquidated for financing. Maybe time to come full circle? The off season is very dangerous.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

...........I just picked up some vintage ferrules from ebay. Wish I would have had them during the initial build, but so goes life. An excuse to build/re-build at a later date.

As for the TE forged . . . I've looked at them many times and have read too many positive reviews. Not to mention the fact that they bear my initial 'M' as a stamp. They have a 'classic' look that is so reminiscent of many irons I like from yesteryear.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. I've torn down and rebuilt clubs simply to change the ferrules. Redid a hybrid once because I preferred shaft logo down instead of up. Looked better that way. Look good, play good.

How would compare the sole width of the TE's compared to the 99's. Similar? Offset appears fairly minimal at .100" throughout the entire set.

...........I just picked up some vintage ferrules from ebay. Wish I would have had them during the initial build, but so goes life. An excuse to build/re-build at a later date.

As for the TE forged . . . I've looked at them many times and have read too many positive reviews. Not to mention the fact that they bear my initial 'M' as a stamp. They have a 'classic' look that is so reminiscent of many irons I like from yesteryear.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. I've torn down and rebuilt clubs simply to change the ferrules. Redid a hybrid once because I preferred shaft logo down instead of up. Looked better that way. Look good, play good.

How would compare the sole width of the TE's compared to the 99's. Similar? Offset appears fairly minimal at .100" throughout the entire set.

Geez, I love reading the posts about club building, it's like a foreign language. No idea what you are talking about, it sounds interesting, maybe I should do some research.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Tol, its not all that difficult. WRX'ers make it out to be this mad science over in the Tech section. Not good enough of a golfer to get that geeky about it. Changing grips is probably the easiest way to test the waters. Ask any questions you're curious about.

Tol, its not all that difficult. WRX'ers make it out to be this mad science over in the Tech section. Not good enough of a golfer to get that geeky about it. Changing grips is probably the easiest way to test the waters. Ask any questions you're curious about.

I never even considered working on my own stuff until I was bitten by the vintage bug. Looked up some videos on-line and away I went. Grips are pretty easy. I haven't wrecked one yet. Even have done a few putters where it is critical to get the grip square to the face. Shaft extensions are equally easy.

Changing shafts may require a few more tools, but it's not like it's rocket science. I even manged to swing weight a driver by feel thanks to BIG STU's encouragement. I found it all to be quite a bit of fun, much like my first time recabling a road bike and the resultant adjustments that need to be done. There's lots of how to available on the interwebs. As with carpentry; measure twice, cut once!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yes Fella, changing grips is (should be) the easiest way, I agree. Unless you do stupid stuff like I did this year. As I look back on dumb things of 2016, and when I changed my grips in July for about the 50th time in my life, for whatever reason when I got to the 10th grip, I decided to take the hook blade and cut towards myself instead of away as some of you will remember. So it's probably #1 on idiotic things I did this year. 600 gallons of blood and 6 stitches 384 stitches later it finally healed after I had to quit playing for 6 weeks. Seriously though, I did cut to the bone on my index and middle finger. It came back together pretty nicely. The only thing affected now is when I play guitar, I have to close the index finger down a lot in order to loosen the muscles or whatever's left in there to give it flexibility to play. You can see on the pic I just took that it went to the bone...

I've been changing grips for around 30 years, really easy, but be careful with the knife to remove the old. Other than that, simple. I got out to the course on Wednesday, sunny 38 degrees, and hardly any wind, pretty comfortable.

The bones have been pretty sore and stiff this holiday season. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning and the inevitable bathroom breaks during the night.

Anyhow, Happy New Year to All, and Best Wishes.

Basic building is not rocket science. I've faced a few challenging builds, but for the most part the process is generally smooth. Turning ferrules was maddening at first, but I've developed a technique that produces quality results. I've built at least 20 sets in the past 2+ years (a few for friends and many for my garage : ) so I've developed solid fundamentals. The tech forums, YouTube, and many helpful members have provided proper guidance.

Here's my caution . . .

It's a small step from re-gripping, to re-shafted, to 'collecting'. An addictive hobby that can be done 'on the cheap' if you have the time and means.

The real positive is that I stay in contact with the game throughout the year.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Love being off work with the wife for a few days. Just doing our thing. She sleeps in, I get up and have a couple hours to putt around, make swings in the living room, watch some netflix stuff. "Narcos" is good.

Then, go out for a nice long walk in the park, do some shopping. Today, we got the New Years Eve feast! Couple of thick filet mignon, cocktail shrimp, antipasti meats and cheese. Little bordeaux and champagne.

Hey, you know, I never watched "Home Alone", but they keep showing it on hbo, and I gotta say, its cracking me up ; )

I don't do any of my own club work and "collecting" is still a problem, lol.

I can only imagine how bad it could get if I start getting things to do my

own club work.....like most of you have done.

My dad was an incessant tinkerer and built his own clubs like some of

you guys do. He didn't pass that gene onto me.

I buy things and just want them to work and I don't usually care how or

why they work.......just that they do....work, lol.

I was the same way with my piano when I was a teenager. I just wanted it

to work. I never once ever tried to tune a piano....and that's a good thing, lol.

My dad made me (with him helping) take a car engine apart and rebuild it

and put it back together. He knew that left to my own devices I would never do

it.,,,,and I never did after that, lol, and never aspired to be a mechanic.

But I loved playing golf with him and fishing with him and doing many things

with him and he made it a point to teach me how everything worked so I could

fix things myself. We would have discussions long into the night about quarks

and strings and quasars. He subscribed to the "Scientific American" and read it

every month. I learned about Felix Wankel and the rotary engine from my dad.

When my dad bought a boat he assumed the role of "Admiral" and schooled

me about boating and seamanship thoroughly; calling on his years in the navy

and even attending classes with me that he did not need but just did to ensure

I learned what I needed to learn.

I think about boating now and how different it is. Many of the navigational things

I learned......done away with by GPS, lol.

Sometimes you wonder, you may spend a lifetime learning some things that

someday will be useless knowledge, like the old ways of navigation on the high

seas.

Knowing that we are all a product of our times I suppose that has tempered

my search for knowledge about many things.....including the "how to". If the

pursuit is a stepping stone affair, if we even knew it was that, then why not

but often it is not.

I kid not I still have a hard time thinking about all the music that is in my ipod

and what a mass it would represent if it were still vinyl or cassette tapes or

even CDs. Think about all the knowledge we gained about "styluses" and the

money spent and how utterly useless a great stylus (phonographic needle I mean)

is today. All that knowledge is now worthless, lol.

We can't predict the future obviously but I know, for me, on many things I don't

thirst for knowledge on how some things work. I am happy to just have basic

understanding so that I can use whatever it is.....knowing that knowledge is not

built one stone at a time and the accumulation of stones may be a useless pursuit

in the long run.

Now, there is something to be said for the passion of pursuit though and who is

to say what is valuable and what isn't? At the end of our lives that most of it matters

not then who cares what our time is used for other than we ourselves?

Musical instruments are on their way to becoming obsolete and one day the pursuit

of skills on any instrument will be viewed as an indulgence. Music that was once

beloved and widely played has now a smaller and smaller audience. The incredible

skills needed to play that old music are no longer needed today to play what most

want to hear. Yet there are still a few who come along and dedicate their lives to

acquiring and maintaining those skills for which demand is shrinking rapidly.

But the day will eventually come when no one will want to bother and we will no

longer hear that great music played live because we don't want or need to and

can hear anything we want in the virtual world at a time and place of our convenience.

And few will really care that something has been lost. No one misses the fine skills

of making fishing nets by hand or baskets or much of anything that is now made

by machines.

Boy, what a long ramble/rant, lol. I guess I could tidy it up by saying we live in a

rapidly changing world and about all we can do is enjoy the ride and hope we

don't get replaced by machines that can do just about everything we can do and

do it better.

Self driving cars and trucks are almost here and someday in the not too distant

future automated trucks will be on the roads and they will replace the drivers and

they will be safer, more efficient and cost a lot less. And 5 million truckers will need

to find new careers.

And automated dentist robots will perform dental work and surgery will be performed

by robots....and dentists and surgeons will need to find new careers.

I wonder what golf will look like in 100 years or if it will even be still around.

As Wriggles likes to say after a downer post.................CHEERS!!!

Don't worry be happy.......we're the lucky ones!

Love being off work with the wife for a few days. Just doing our thing. She sleeps in, I get up and have a couple hours to putt around, make swings in the living room, watch some netflix stuff. "Narcos" is good.

Then, go out for a nice long walk in the park, do some shopping. Today, we got the New Years Eve feast! Couple of thick filet mignon, cocktail shrimp, antipasti meats and cheese. Little bordeaux and champagne.

Hey, you know, I never watched "Home Alone", but they keep showing it on hbo, and I gotta say, its cracking me up ; )

[media=]

[/media]

It was a great movie at the time!

How odd that Carrie Fisher dies and then her mom Debbie Reynolds dies.

I still remember some old movie with Debbie Reynolds where she was pregnant

and eating pickles and strawberries!

I wonder now with Carrie passing if a bunch of people are watching the old Star

Wars movies. Funny quote from her "I'm not a good actress, you saw Star Wars

didn't you?" Well, she may not have been good but she was easy on the eyes

back then, lol.

I still remember many great scenes with her in Return of the Jedi, especially the

one early on and you didn't know it was her and she had on this space outift like

Boba Fett and goes into Jabba's palace and frees Hans Solo and he wakes up

from his suspended animation and sees the space creature who just freed him

and says "who are you?"

And the space creature takes the helmet off and the long brown hair comes tumbling

out and it's Leia and she answers "Someone who Loves You". Great scene, especially

since we found out later her and Harrison were having an affair in real life, lol.

Funny how movies bring that out in people.......the attraction.....like Rachel McAdams

and her costar having an affair during and after they filmed "The Notebook".

Must be hard being in a movie and being in close proximity for a good amount of

time to someone very attractive....and acting out scenes and I'm sure a natural

attraction just develops. Probably why so many marriages in "Hollywood" don't

last!

I don't do any of my own club work and "collecting" is still a problem, lol.

I can only imagine how bad it could get if I start getting things to do my

own club work.....like most of you have done.

My dad was an incessant tinkerer and built his own clubs like some of

you guys do. He didn't pass that gene onto me.

I buy things and just want them to work and I don't usually care how or

why they work.......just that they do....work, lol.

I was the same way with my piano when I was a teenager. I just wanted it

to work. I never once ever tried to tune a piano....and that's a good thing, lol.

My dad made me (with him helping) take a car engine apart and rebuild it

and put it back together. He knew that left to my own devices I would never do

it.,,,,and I never did after that, lol, and never aspired to be a mechanic.

But I loved playing golf with him and fishing with him and doing many things

with him and he made it a point to teach me how everything worked so I could

fix things myself. We would have discussions long into the night about quarks

and strings and quasars. He subscribed to the "Scientific American" and read it

every month. I learned about Felix Wankel and the rotary engine from my dad.

When my dad bought a boat he assumed the role of "Admiral" and schooled

me about boating and seamanship thoroughly; calling on his years in the navy

and even attending classes with me that he did not need but just did to ensure

I learned what I needed to learn.

I think about boating now and how different it is. Many of the navigational things

I learned......done away with by GPS, lol.

Sometimes you wonder, you may spend a lifetime learning some things that

someday will be useless knowledge, like the old ways of navigation on the high

seas.

Knowing that we are all a product of our times I suppose that has tempered

my search for knowledge about many things.....including the "how to". If the

pursuit is a stepping stone affair, if we even knew it was that, then why not

but often it is not.

I kid not I still have a hard time thinking about all the music that is in my ipod

and what a mass it would represent if it were still vinyl or cassette tapes or

even CDs. Think about all the knowledge we gained about "styluses" and the

money spent and how utterly useless a great stylus (phonographic needle I mean)

is today. All that knowledge is now worthless, lol.

We can't predict the future obviously but I know, for me, on many things I don't

thirst for knowledge on how some things work. I am happy to just have basic

understanding so that I can use whatever it is.....knowing that knowledge is not

built one stone at a time and the accumulation of stones may be a useless pursuit

in the long run.

Now, there is something to be said for the passion of pursuit though and who is

to say what is valuable and what isn't? At the end of our lives that most of it matters

not then who cares what our time is used for other than we ourselves?

Musical instruments are on their way to becoming obsolete and one day the pursuit

of skills on any instrument will be viewed as an indulgence. Music that was once

beloved and widely played has now a smaller and smaller audience. The incredible

skills needed to play that old music are no longer needed today to play what most

want to hear. Yet there are still a few who come along and dedicate their lives to

acquiring and maintaining those skills for which demand is shrinking rapidly.

But the day will eventually come when no one will want to bother and we will no

longer hear that great music played live because we don't want or need to and

can hear anything we want in the virtual world at a time and place of our convenience.

And few will really care that something has been lost. No one misses the fine skills

of making fishing nets by hand or baskets or much of anything that is now made

by machines.

Boy, what a long ramble/rant, lol. I guess I could tidy it up by saying we live in a

rapidly changing world and about all we can do is enjoy the ride and hope we

don't get replaced by machines that can do just about everything we can do and

do it better.

Self driving cars and trucks are almost here and someday in the not too distant

future automated trucks will be on the roads and they will replace the drivers and

they will be safer, more efficient and cost a lot less. And 5 million truckers will need

to find new careers.

And automated dentist robots will perform dental work and surgery will be performed

by robots....and dentists and surgeons will need to find new careers.

I wonder what golf will look like in 100 years or if it will even be still around.

As Wriggles likes to say after a downer post.................CHEERS!!!

Don't worry be happy.......we're the lucky ones!

Some good thoughts there Conrad. I’ve been having some of the same since my dad had his heart attack. It’s good to remember the good times. Dad is home and on oxygen and very weak but alive. We are hoping for some improvement and that he and mom can stay at home at least for a while longer. I spent some time copying old slides and photos to digital and they enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

You are right too about the fast pace of change. It is sad to think of all the knowledge and skill that is lost every time someone dies. If that was always passed along to the next generation it would live on but I am afraid that is not happening as it did in the past.

And all the obsolete stuff? Did we waste our time learning how to use a slide rule or the Dewy Decimal System? What are our kids learning that they won’t need down the road? Heavy stuff there.

As far as self driving trucks and robot dentistry, bring it on. We will have to hang it up soon enough anyway :) Maybe if we get lucky they will have new parts to keep us alive and golfing (and getting lucky) into our very old age!

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I drove up to the course today. It was a balmy 42 deg. with the snow quickly melting. Bad news it's supposed to be back down into the single digits next week. No more golf this year. What a difference from the pic I took a couple of weeks ago. I did see several Robins at the course. Maybe it's a sign of an early spring.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Back into the art this week, only a small painting to go with the other catapiler. First picture I have actually finished in a while, I have several in process.

This should be in the nature bar along with the picture of Cyndy who is another nature buff.

https://imgur.com/a/V2A69

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I drove up to the course today. It was a balmy 42 deg. with the snow quickly melting. Bad news it's supposed to be back down into the single digits next week. No more golf this year. What a difference from the pic I took a couple of weeks ago. I did see several Robins at the course. Maybe it's a sign of an early spring.

Awesome view scotee, pity about the golf. :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Back into the art this week, only a small painting to go with the other catapiler. First picture I have actually finished in a while, I have several in process.

This should be in the nature bar along with the picture of Cyndy who is another nature buff.

Wow Tol ! That looks like the real thing. Mrs. scotee will be going after that one with some killer bug spray to keep it out of her garden :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Happy New Year to my Grille brethren. May the year bring peace, good health, happiness, and sub-par rounds. If the last is asking for to much, I'd settle for consistently shooting in the mid-80's. With whatever random sample of clubs that I choose to have in the bag. A "it's not the arrow" thing.

Surf and Turf on the NYE menu. Went to the local meat market for some boneless rib eye's (a fav). Three pounds of crab legs to accompany. Will be bringing out the Weber to grill them on charcoal. The gas is used mostly for convenience. With quality meat, prefer to cook over coals with hickory chips added for enhancement. The Mrs. will be making twice baked potatoes and a fresh spinach salad. Also have a dozen oysters that no one in the family likes. I'll save a half doz for tomorrow, fix the other half Rockfeller style today. Shrimps for tomorrow as well. Don't know which beverage will be consumed during all of this. Have my usual favored IPA on standby. Picked up some Founder's Breakfast Stout, a fantastic brew, but two is more than enough. Or some inexpensive Cali Cabernet that's around. A bottle of Great Western Extra Dry Sparkling for the Mrs. A champagne wannabe. But that's what she likes and its cheap.

Will probably watch some of the CFB semi's along the way. Making it to the end of the OSU/Clemson game may be in serious jeopardy. I do not often utter these words, but occasionally the situation warrants it. "Go Buckeyes". Represent. (That's for you SSP.)

Edit: Unnecessary falderal.

Was good to read that your Father was home and recuperating. Continued well wishes and prayers are extended for hopefully some return to a normal life.

Last year, we had a couple of robins that stayed the winter. Stupid birds, not flying south. So maybe not a reliable indicator of an early spring after all. Went by a local golf course a couple of days ago while out and about. There were several cars parked there, saw one twosome lugging bags, playing. Waaay to cold (35*) for this lad. Undoubtably would pull a muscle or some other malady attempting to play in these conditions. Not worth the risk. The course doesn't even have pins in right now. How am I suppose to shoot for the stick if I don't have something to shoot at?

P

Wow Tol ! That looks like the real thing. Mrs. scotee will be going after that one with some killer bug spray to keep it out of her garden :)

Thank you scotee, I do work at making them realistic, I should post some that did not quite make it. :(.

Good to hear you Father is improving, times like this can be very draining.

Well Grillers, this is my first new year in the Grille. I started in here full of hope and anticipation, to say my expectations have been fulfilled is an understatement. There have been posts too numerous to mention, all of them giving me hope for this world we all share, having read many forums over the years I have never come across one before where everyone gets on so well. I have no idea what the rest of the forum is like, this thread is gold.

I hope and pray for a safe and prosperous new year for all of you I have now become to know as friends, who knows some time in the near future I may come into enough cash to visit all of you, or even better bring you all over to Australia.

Anyway all dreams aside, thank you from the depths of my being for your contribution to my year of 2016. As they say onwards and upwards.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

A tip of the digital cap to you as well Tol. You are a full fledged member of the "usual gang" that keeps this thread what it is. An interesting and enjoyable read that's part of my daily routine. Good folks also reside in the Classic section as well. A real international perspective on golf there. Some real experts. Have learned a tremendous amount of golf stuff by participating in that forum. And its only been three years. Amazing. Directly responsible for the accumulation of clubs that now reside in the basement and elsewhere. Other areas of WRX, one needs to tread very carefully. It can be a rancorous bunch of participants out there. All to often, best avoided rather than engaged.

Let me know when I need to book a Qantas flight. Only need a week or so to make all the necessary arrangements. Always wanted to see Australia. At least the non-deadly creatures part. Fully unprepared for venturing into the wilds where there are things that could inflict great bodily harm. Have zero life experiences with this. However, there was this close proximity encounter with a Moose once. Sorta eyeballed one another for a bit, then he wandered off. Survival mode. And have swum in the ocean before and didn't get eaten by a shark. But did get stung by a jellyfish once. Survived the encounter. I digress. Could we just stay in town? TIA.

Happy New Year to my Grille brethren. May the year bring peace, good health, happiness, and sub-par rounds. If the last is asking for to much, I'd settle for consistently shooting in the mid-80's. With whatever random sample of clubs that I choose to have in the bag. A "it's not the arrow" thing.

Surf and Turf on the NYE menu. Went to the local meat market for some boneless rib eye's (a fav). Three pounds of crab legs to accompany. Will be bringing out the Weber to grill them on charcoal. The gas is used mostly for convenience. With quality meat, prefer to cook over coals with hickory chips added for enhancement. The Mrs. will be making twice baked potatoes and a fresh spinach salad. Also have a dozen oysters that no one in the family likes. I'll save a half doz for tomorrow, fix the other half Rockfeller style today. Shrimps for tomorrow as well. Don't know which beverage will be consumed during all of this. Have my usual favored IPA on standby. Picked up some Founder's Breakfast Stout, a fantastic brew, but two is more than enough. Or some inexpensive Cali Cabernet that's around. A bottle of Great Western Extra Dry Sparkling for the Mrs. A champagne wannabe. But that's what she likes and its cheap.

Will probably watch some of the CFB semi's along the way. Making it to the end of the OSU/Clemson game may be in serious jeopardy. I do not often utter these words, but occasionally the situation warrants it. "Go Buckeyes". Represent. (That's for you SSP.)

Edit: Unnecessary falderal.

Thanks Fella, I would do the same if it were the Spartans. Should be a good game. Of course we are huge Buckeye fans here. I think we have our hands full with Clemson in reality. Our team is young, playing in the horseshoe with over 100,000 is one thing but playing in a bowl game which many have never done with a highly ranked team should be interesting. We'll see how the first quarter sets the tone. The coaching staff is fabulous at making half time adjustments, so I'm looking forward to it. Either way, the winner of the game should have a great game with the winner of the game between Alabama and Washington.

We're also pretty high on the Bluejackets in this area right now... what the???

As you should be SSP. The Blue Jackets are playing excellent hockey. Leading the NHL in points at the moment. Had to look it up, but only one of their five losses has been in regulation. An outstanding GF/GA differential of +48. That's putting the puck in the opposition's net and keeping it out of your own. In arguably the toughest division in the league.

Little to be optimistic about Hockey-wise here. Sad to see the Red Wings nearing rock bottom. Inability to score, suspect goal tending, aging veterans with big contracts, little resembling a quality defensive back line, things are a mess. In all likelihood, their 25 consecutive year playoff run will end this season. Probably best to play all the youngsters on the roster and in Grand Rapids (minor league affiliate) to see what they have. Time to blow it up and start over. The rebuilding on the fly strategy is not working out.

And......just one more day until Aaron Rodgers and the Pack squash the playoff dream of the mighty Leo's. Can't wait. SOL (Same Old Lions).

I've always fancied getting into club making. Being able to re-shaft my own clubs would be great. Maybe one day when I have some more disposable cash I'll take the plunge.

There are some good looking and sounding new year's feasts on the menu for you guys. My family and I are cooking and Indian feast this year (a change from the usual Mexican spread). I'm cooking a Goan style pork vindaloo, though have had to tone down the heat given there will be lots of kids eating it too. I don't want anyone welcoming in 2017 with the old "ring of fire". Hopefully it will taste a lot better than the British curry house versions which are essentially just generic curries to which the chef has added a boat load of chillies. They do true vindaloo's a real disservice.

Dinner will be washed down with some nice Rioja and Prosecco (not at the same time, of course). Given our new baby, I doubt I'll even stay up until midnight. Sad but true.

PD - Saw those new shoes you posted. Most fetching Sir. I'm sure you'll look very dashing in them.

Tol - Great painting! That's quite the talent you've got there. I'm always amazed at people who have artistic talent, because I literally have none. I struggle to paint a wall properly.

Sixty - Ouch! Glad the finger has healed up.

Scotee - Good to hear your father is doing better. Stay strong my friend and make sure you take care of yourself and Mrs Scotee too.

Fella - I enjoyed reading about your animal encounters. I read the other day that numbers of Salt Water crocs are booming down under. Maybe now is a good time to explore the Northern Territories and add a salty to the list of animals you've come face to face with?

Thanks so much for all the well wishes and prayers for my Dad. It means a lot.

Mrs. scotee and I just went across the river to Hells Gate State Park and saw this bird. Supposed to be very rare. People are driving and flying in from all over the country to get a look at it. The sun was out and we got just a few feet away and got a great look at it through my new Christmas binoculars. I feel like a real birder :)

magicvalley.com/lifestyles/recreation/birders-land-rare-sighting-of-red-flanked-bluetail/article_079bc13e-6580-55f2-8aef-5eb9998da41c.html

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

PD is nursing a glass of Aberlour single malt at the moment.

I traveled to the LCBO to purchase a bottle of Blanton's bourbon and the shelves were empty. I asked an employee for a suggestion and he directed me to a bottle of 12 year Aberlour. To that young man I say, "thank you".

Smooth nectar on the rocks.

eBay surfing for the heck of it.

Bad/Good combination when the wife is heading to work.

Happy New Year to the 'crew'. A quiet night for the PD.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Wolf,

I don't need another pair of shoes and the pair isn't entirely my style (a bit too much flare), but they were 1/2 price and fit like a glove. Not to mention the fact that they have spikes, are full grain leather, come with a 2 year water proof guarantee, and don't rub or slip anywhere.

I'm going to break them in during the indoor season and hope they will be ready for the outdoors in a few months.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I truly empathize with those who have lost and/or are coping with aging parents. Canadian well wishes are with you all.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)