Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Hey guys, thanks for the history lesson on the name of the Dodgers and the Pirates farm system. Pretty cool on both accounts. I've always had a soft spot for the Pirates over the years. Remember well the 79 squad with the rally song of We Are Family by Sister Sledge.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Sitting in bed, shower done, cup of tea at hand, drink of port also nearby. As is my want I like to reflect on the day and today I got to thinking how lucky I am, not sewerage lucky but worldly lucky. Fabulous house, honest hard working generous son, beautiful intelligent always supportive wife, and to cap it all off, the friends in the Grille. What more could I possibly want or need.

Good night Grillers, be safe.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Thanks for the '65 opponents Sixty. I couldn't remember..........ya, I remember the Trolley Dodgers name.

I was only 5 years old in '58 when the Dodgers came to L.A. They played in the L.A. coliseum until Dodger

Stadium was built and the coliseum held something like 100,000 people and the Dodgers set a 1 game

attendance record packing them into that place. That record may still stand as far as I know as baseball

stadiums typically don't hold near that many. Most are around 40,000 to 50,000 if memory serves.

I know the Dodgers held season attendance records year after year until the Rockies franchise was born.

I think one reason the rivalry with the SF Giants was so intense is they also moved to Calif from New York

and brought the rivalry with them. I still don't like the Giants, lol, and despise the Yankees and A's, especially

Mr. October. :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Weird, it seemed like whenever the Dodgers got to the world series, either the A's or the Yankees

were there waitin' for them. If memory serves they lost to the A's in '74 and the Yankees in '77 and

'78....but they did beat the Yankees in '81 and the A's in '88. They beat the Yankees in '63. I can't

remember now who they played in '65.

Sorry I'm late to the Dodgers party, I'm a long time fan too. I think it was the Twins in '65. I actually remember when they left Brooklyn, I was around 6 years old, dang...

But anyway, wow, just think of all the players that went through that franchise. I'll never forget that cool pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the ninth game 1 by GIbson. Even though they lost the series it was a heckuva thriller. That was back in the Valenzuela days of course.

In Brooklyn you would have to work your way around town avoiding the trolley cars to get through. They called it 'trolley dodging. Thus the team was called the 'Trolley Dodgers' later shortened to the 'Dodgers'. Just a little trivia...

The Gibson home run was in the '88 series, which the Dodgers won. It was against Eckersly, the closer

of closers; but not that night lol. '88 was also the year Orel Hershiser broke Drysdale's record of 58 2/3

consecutice scoreless innings. Orel got to 59 and was satisifed to stop there and Tommy took him out

of the game. Cool way to end the regular season.

Fernandomania was something else. I remember he started his first year something like 8-0, with an ERA of

of around 1.00 and was batting over .400. In one game I think he went 3 for 4 and drove in all the runs and

pitched a shutout.That was a special time.

SLED Gemini

Latest painting, somewhat different for me. The faithful wire haired fox terrier waiting for his master to come home. I speculated it was an old farmhouse by the foot scraper at the bottom left, and it was an older farmer that will be coming home to his dog.

wow, great work!

finally making some time to sketch & paint recently. I've missed just creating and even having a sketch book nearby. doodles then sketches have now lead me to attempt some painting with acrylics. will have to upload my latest attempt at photorealism which is nearly complete.

barkeep: Pour me one, a jack & diet for my Dodger blues to go away & these guys to pull it out in the bottom of the 18th! -_-

What a marathon! 7:20 18 innings. An old fashioned pitcher's duel. Great pitching of course but also some good hitting on both sides to drive up the pitch counts. Both teams may be spent tonight. I am kind of spent from staying up that late! It was cool to see Sandy Koufax still looking good and enjoying the game. Rad and I used to hang on every pitch of his and Drysdale's back in the day.

Joe, welcome to the Grille.

My mom, dad and I went to a game once and Drysdale was the starting pitcher. It was during a heated

stretch of the pennant race........and when Drysdale was getting pooped....Walt brought in Sandy to close

out the game! Got to see them both pitch! Maury stole a few bases and it was either Tommy Davis or

Frank Howard that hit the game winning home run. My mom and dad bought me one of those balls that

had all the team signatures on it. Man, I wish I still had that ball!

Did you know that Drysdale played for the Brooklyn Dodgers before they moved to LA?

Also, talking about Willie Stargell, I lived in Columbus before we moved up to NY, and so we had the Columbus Jets, farm team of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Willie played for them in '62. They also had Manny Mota, and Manny Sanguillen at one time. I also saw Roberto Clemente back then too, and Donn Clendenon. Oh, and a guy named Johnny Powers, a left handed batter, I think he may have gone on the Pirates. He was funny at the plate to watch batting, turned practically right down the first base line, totally opened up. We usually could get a chance to go get there early enough to go right down to field level and stand by the short fence that separated the fans from the field. The players would usually be nice enough to come over and talk and give autographs. They were really nice guys. I used to practically live there as a kid watching them when I wasn't playing myself, as I was an all star pitcher at the time. Ha, my dad wanted me to be a pro, and started me pitching in the back yard at age 3. My career went pretty well, it's too bad my parents got divorced when I was 8, he was my inspiration.

Very cool stuff Six! Thanks for that research. I learned something new.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

SNOW!!!

That is all...

Well Sco, you do after all live in the Great White North :)

I don't mind it. My days of skiing maybe over, but there's just something about the change of seasons that always give you something to look forward to. With winter it was skiing and more recently curling, but that also coincides with the holiday season and winter vacations on a warm and sunny beach somewhere. What is harder to take is the cold and wet and dreary of the shoulder seasons that typically are November and March. If those two months are more forgiving than usual, then winter isn't hard to take at all!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

SNOW!!!

That is all...

Well Sco, you do after all live in the Great White North :)

I don't mind it. My days of skiing maybe over, but there's just something about the change of seasons that always give you something to look forward to. With winter it was skiing and more recently curling, but that also coincides with the holiday season and winter vacations on a warm and sunny beach somewhere. What is harder to take is the cold and wet and dreary of the shoulder seasons that typically are November and March. If those two months are more forgiving than usual, then winter isn't hard to take at all!

I prefer our winters which to us are cold but in reality they are balmy days where a walk in the beach is still possible, and you.can spot the tourists from cold climates because they are swimming in the sea, locals wait untill at least late spring. Snow you can keep it and it will be too soon if I never have to feel it again. Never been a cold weather person.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Willie Stargell, great hitch/pre hit routine. Dave Parker, guy had a cannon.

And this guy

One of the oringinal submariners

Big Red Machine!

Royals and George Brett. I always emulated his hitting style as a kid. Saw the pine tar game on TV.

I was a Yankee fan, of course.

Reg-gie Reg-gie. Dad used to take me to the Stadium. Ahh, those were the days.

Hot dog and a soda. Ball game. Ice cream. And it didnt cost ya and arm and a leg ; )

And this guy

[media=]

[/media]

Big Red Machine!

Royals and George Brett. I always emulated his hitting style as a kid. Saw the pine tar game on TV.

Hot dog and a soda. Ball game. Ice cream. And it didnt cost ya and arm and a leg ; )

I remember Kent Tekulve!

SLED Gemini

Hey guys, thanks for the history lesson on the name of the Dodgers and the Pirates farm system. Pretty cool on both accounts. I've always had a soft spot for the Pirates over the years. Remember well the 79 squad with the rally song of We Are Family by Sister Sledge.

Ya, I think Willie Stargell picked that song as their rally cry. Isn't that the year they were down 3 games to none

and came back and won the last 4 to take the series? It was an amazing comeback. Willie was in the waning

days of his career if I remember correctly and it was very cool for him to get the ring.

SLED Gemini

Hats off to Cameron Champ for getting his first PGA Tour victory in only his second start. Another

great name! And he's a Ping staffer. Go Ping!

SLED Gemini

Ya, I think Willie Stargell picked that song as their rally cry. Isn't that the year they were down 3 games to none

and came back and won the last 4 to take the series? It was an amazing comeback. Willie was in the waning

days of his career if I remember correctly and it was very cool for him to get the ring.

It's refreshing to look back on that video tribute that bscinstnct posted. Notice how the celebrations are muted versus what is typical today. Stargell was a classic example as he hits the game winning homer and trots around the bases like he'd done it 400 times before; no bat flips, no pimped out antics quickly followed up with a selfie on Twitter...

I remember that my father told me to act like I've done it before. Have some respect for your opponent. Now, we see all sorts of antics for just about any everyday accomplishment. The football field has to be the worst (or the best depending upon how you view it) with all the creative ridiculous celebrations that go on! Nothing like doing a sack dance in the forth quarter having beaten a third string lineman while your team is down by 30 points... :rolleyes:

The Red Sox, for my money, are the epitome of a throwback style of ball club with gritty hard nosed play where no man is bigger than the team. The Dodgers seem to be more of the current mold with look-at-me players like Puig.

Thoroughly enjoyed this year's version of the World Series and very happy with the outcome; particularly seeing former Blue Jay, Steve Pearce, have his coming out party and earning the series MVP! :fan_1:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It's refreshing to look back on that video tribute that bscinstnct posted. Notice how the celebrations are muted versus what is typical today. Stargell was a classic example as he hits the game winning homer and trots around the bases like he'd done it 400 times before; no bat flips, no pimped out antics quickly followed up with a selfie on Twitter...

I remember that my father told me to act like I've done it before. Have some respect for your opponent. Now, we see all sorts of antics for just about any everyday accomplishment. The football field has to be the worst (or the best depending upon how you view it) with all the creative ridiculous celebrations that go on! Nothing like doing a sack dance in the forth quarter having beaten a third string lineman while your team is down by 30 points... :rolleyes:

The Red Sox, for my money, are the epitome of a throwback style of ball club with gritty hard nosed play where no man is bigger than the team. The Dodgers seem to be more of the current mold with look-at-me players like Puig.

Thoroughly enjoyed this year's version of the World Series and very happy with the outcome; particularly seeing former Blue Jay, Steve Pearce, have his coming out party and earning the series MVP! :fan_1:

How right you are, the cricketers are almost the worst, score a 100 and you see them hoo har like some demented gorilla, soccer players score a goal and everyone piles on top of him. I suppose they have to give the illusion of being something extra special to justify the disgusting amount they are paid. Because of all the player antics I now watch very little sport on the TV.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

And this guy

[media=]

[/media]

Big Red Machine!

I remember Kent Tekulve!

Wow, I forgot about those days when football and baseball teams shared the same stadium, and you could see the yardage lines (@ 1:14 in this video) on the baseball field. Remember how cheap the first artificial turf was too? And also there used to be some issues with new sod replacement and having it not be totally secured down yet when being played in football, especially a problem after it rained. When it rained, it rained, when it snowed, it snowed, then you played. Didn't matter if you had fancy field cleaning equipment or uniform stuff, you just played.

Ok, who's done a drop-kick in football besides me? I remember doing them in Jr. High...

The drop kick is an integral part of rugby league and players can score points with it, rugby league it’s one point and rugby union it’s three points.

It’s used as a tactical ploy near the end of the game, if your team is leading by six points that’s only one try and conversion so they score the extra point and then the opposition has to score twice, similar I would think to the American football tactics. Apart from the forwards who are the engine room of the game in both codes all the other players are usually skilled at the drop kick.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Ok, who's done a drop-kick in football besides me? I remember doing them in Jr. High...

[media=]

[/media]

Paul Crewe

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It was cool seeing Reggie Smith in the video. It's been so long I had forgotten where he had played

before the Dodgers signed him..........the Orioles. He was part of the foursome for the Dodgers who

hit 30 or more home runs the same season..

Ron Cey

Dusty Baker

Steve Garvey

Reggie Smith

SLED Gemini

It was cool seeing Reggie Smith in the video. It's been so long I had forgotten where he had played

before the Dodgers signed him..........the Orioles. He was part of the foursome for the Dodgers who

hit 30 or more home runs the same season..

Ron Cey

Dusty Baker

Steve Garvey

Reggie Smith

Ron Cey the Penguin :) I have not thought of him in many years.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Tommy loved nicknames and I'm sure you remember that Tommy managed several of the Dodger

players when he was the AAA team manager in Albuquerque. I think he gave Cey that nickname

in Albuquerque and when Tommy took over the helm of the Dodgers quite a few of the players

that had come up had played for Tommy in Albuquerque.

I remember Tommy telling the story of how he nicknamed Orel Hershiser the Bulldog. He said Orel

was this kinda quiet nice guy and Tommy wanted him to have an edge to him so he told him "no

more Mr. Nice Guy, you're the Bulldog now.

One of the funniest things with Tommy was a trick the players played on him one time....and you may

remember this........Tommy, being Italian and known for his rotund figure and love of pasta.........well,

the players got a hold of one of his uniform shirts and had it embroidered with Lasagna instead of

Lasorda.......and Tommy didn't even notice and put the shirt on for a game and was walking around

the whole game with Lasagna on his back. It was hilarious.

SLED Gemini

Final episode. The company that installed my sewerage system gave me a quote to come and fix it, the quote was an open ended guess and I was supposed to sign it and hope. As the whole office was not at work today I phoned and the mother who now owns the business with the son answered. To say it was a waste of time is an understatement, and when I told her I was not a fan of the system, my exact words were the system is rubbish, she did her nut, told me there are thousands of them in service and we are the only family that have ever had a problem. Suffice to say we did not finish the conversation as friends.

Saturday we have the septic provider for a developer friend of ours coming over, he is going to give us his assessment if the best alternative system, installation time, maintenance cost an schedules, in other words we want to know everything about the systems then we are going to have one installed.

The problem with our present system is it was developed by the father and son, it’s a family business now owned by the mother and son. Their company and employees are the only ones authorised to design, install or maintain the systems so they are a monopoly, which I do not like anyway as options are then limited. Anyway the new system is going to be around $17,000 which will have be from the mortgage redraw facility.

This has really got in my head but now the decision has been made things are clarifying, good swig of achoholic beverage I am certain is going to help.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

That sucks! Hope this finds your way clear of all your septic troubles.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

There's a cold, hard frost this morning. The opaque crystals glistening as the early morning light washes over. Not a cloud in the sky, nor even the slightest of breeze as the air is still. A very ethereal scene whose silence is broken by the commuters passing by. I'm going to miss moments like this where you can sit back and watch the world come alive. It's funny what you take for granted until you realize that it is slipping away by deliberate decision or simply the ravages of time.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

There's a cold, hard frost this morning. The opaque crystals glistening as the early morning light washes over. Not a cloud in the sky, nor even the slightest of breeze as the air is still. A very ethereal scene whose silence is broken by the commuters passing by. I'm going to miss moments like this where you can sit back and watch the world come alive. It's funny what you take for granted until you realize that it is slipping away by deliberate decision or simply the ravages of time.

Two homes ago we were right out in the bush, no near neighbours. The only noise was the birds, lovely spot to live. We sat outside many a day as the light went down watching the night sky and the stars, THEN, we decided to move. By chance of circumstances we finished up in a small house we did not like next to a main road that had 40,000 vehicles a day past our back door. It was a main rout and also carried many many Emergency vehicles day and night, the constant screeming of sirens of ambulance, Police cars and fire engines almost drove us mad untill I may have mentioned before DW woke up one morning and said we have to move, now here we are in paradise. Let me put a rider on that. When the sewerage is finally fixed it will be perfect again.

So now because of the major changes in circumstances over the last 10 or so years we have learned to fully appreciate what we now have. Here’s hoping your move is better the our last but one.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Two homes ago we were right out in the bush, no near neighbours. The only noise was the birds, lovely spot to live. We sat outside many a day as the light went down watching the night sky and the stars, THEN, we decided to move. By chance of circumstances we finished up in a small house we did not like next to a main road that had 40,000 vehicles a day past our back door. It was a main rout and also carried many many Emergency vehicles day and night, the constant screeming of sirens of ambulance, Police cars and fire engines almost drove us mad untill I may have mentioned before DW woke up one morning and said we have to move, now here we are in paradise. Let me put a rider on that. When the sewerage is finally fixed it will be perfect again.

So now because of the major changes in circumstances over the last 10 or so years we have learned to fully appreciate what we now have. Here's hoping your move is better the our last but one.

Pretty much the same thing for us tol. When we lived out in the country, wow we were out, as I have said in the boonies, I mean really. Night time sky was just unreal. Stars were bright as can be. I had (have) a big telescope, and we would look at the planets. You could literally see the ring around Saturn. It was small, but you could see it. Mars was cool. The moon, wow it was fabulous looking out there with that thing. Then we moved where we are now. It is a very nice neighborhood, ,nice area, nice houses. But, we are 2 blocks from the hospital. We are two blocks from the helicopter pad. We are 6 blocks from the fire station. It's not excessive, but we do live off of Main St. There is a reason why they

call it Main St... advantage- being close to the hospital and being close to the fire station disadvantage- being close to emergency squad and fire truck sirens... :o fortunately for us through out the neighborhood we have lots of trees and stuff that sort of mute all that, and it's still somewhat interesting to watch the helicopters maneuver, but the country was wilderness

Some very good writing in the Grille this morning. Seems the passing of the years and the

changing of the seasons brings on times of relection........I suppose a symbolic smelling

of the roses; taking time to notice the small things.......these little pauses in life where we

think and take stock.

Late in his life my father confessed to being in a sort of melancholy for much of his life.

I never noticed. Perhaps I wasn't tuned in and just too busy.

Cobi and I were thlnking recently and noticing how much more we appreciate nature as

we grow older. When younger we sort of just take things for granted. Now, we look around

and it all seems so miraculous; which from our point of view, it really is.

When I was young I thought old people were boring and led boring lives. I wanted adventure

and fun. I still want fun but now it comes from places and things I would not have imagined

when I was young.

We have a Thomes Kinkade wall hanging in our house that has one of his typical scenes

with the words above "A contented mind is the greatest blessing". It takes years of living to

truly understand what that means.

SLED Gemini

we sorta live in the country. we were the first ones to build out here. We could see the stars..and wildlife was all over. Now there are five houses that are

still a good distance away,but the road below our property has become more busy, and we do get the occasional visitor who is lost...wrong turn..

what have you,who are actually just nosy. And a few who i know were casing the place.. I have a sign at the bottom of the drive..." WARNING...DANGER...

THE GERMAN SHEPARD WILL BARK BEFORE HE BITES. ....THE ROTT WILL NOT"

People who have moved in out here are city folks and they are afraid of the dark...they all had the power company install large dusk/dawn lights.

mine is all controlled by motion detector..anything bigger than a dog will sit them off. We still see the wild life...deer...turkey..fox...coyote...hawks,owls,

all other birds. I just do not think I could live in a city. I could not get use to neighbors being so close.

And the 2nd sign at the top of the drive says" A photo of you,your car and license plate has been taken and already sent to an

off site location" I do believe in letting people know that I DONT PLAY .. lol

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Some very good writing in the Grille this morning. Seems the passing of the years and the

changing of the seasons brings on times of relection........I suppose a symbolic smelling

of the roses; taking time to notice the small things.......these little pauses in life where we

think and take stock.

Late in his life my father confessed to being in a sort of melancholy for much of his life.

I never noticed. Perhaps I wasn't tuned in and just too busy.

Cobi and I were thlnking recently and noticing how much more we appreciate nature as

we grow older. When younger we sort of just take things for granted. Now, we look around

and it all seems so miraculous; which from our point of view, it really is.

When I was young I thought old people were boring and led boring lives. I wanted adventure

and fun. I still want fun but now it comes from places and things I would not have imagined

when I was young.

We have a Thomes Kincaid wall hanging in our house that has one of his typical scenes

with the words above "A contented mind is the greatest blessing". It takes years of living to

truly understand what that means.

Love the Kincaid paintings . The snowy winter ones of the houses in the country are beautiful.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)