2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I have an old golfing buddy who belongs to the Y. I've been seeing him periodically this year even though we haven't been golfing and he told me that he and his wife joined the Y and he has started to swim. This morning I went out with him for my first time to see how I liked it. Gad zooks, am I ever out of shape! But, then again, I already knew that what with my back trouble and what not. I managed to get 11 lengths in of a 25 meter pool and that was it for me. I guess that's not too bad for a first outing, but I wonder how the heck I'm going to feel tomorrow?

We are going again Monday provided I don't have any ill effects. From that point on I will be on my own dime. It's a nice new facility and everyone I met was very friendly. I'm thinking I'll try a swimmer's card which gives me 12 swims which should pretty much take me to the end of the year going twice a week.

A full membership runs about $50 a month which gives access to all the facilities as well as personal trainers. That's what my buddy and his wife have. My physiotherapist thinks a membership is a good idea because i could use some gym time to rebuild what I've lost from my injury, but at least I feel as though I can now see a road back after a long lost period in the wilderness...

The Y is fabulous. I have 2 advantages, 1 my wife works there meaning also free memberships for both of us, and 2 ours is only about a mile away. As I've mentioned earlier she is a runner, and does lots of 5k's and half marathons, but this year decided out of the blue to start working her way into the triathlon world, so she began that in the spring and became the state champ by the end of the summer in the beginner series. Not an easy task. The Y just put an article in the November newsletter about her, I'm very proud of her :)

Give her a big pat on the back from DW and myself, this is truly an inspirational story.

Indeed! :good:

---------------------

A bit of a rough night. Woke about 2:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Ended up resorting to Voltaren and an Advil. More comfortable now, but still doing stretches hourly it seems as I try to motivate myself to take out the recycle bins.

Nothing I didn't expect really and as per usual I probably did more than I should have for a first time out or I suppose that's a second time out as I went swimming about a month ago when we were away for a weekender. Comparing the two, I would say I've made progress. Monday should be doable if this is the worst of it. Gotta start somewhere and push, but going to take my time ramping up.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Haven't been able to contribute to the artistic discussion, but I can add this little ditty for your morning revelry.

http://www.facebook....33111350222252/

[Added] BTW, I have been remiss in not complimenting y'all on the caliber of the art work that has been posted on here. You folks sure do have some talent!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have an old golfing buddy who belongs to the Y. I've been seeing him periodically this year even though we haven't been golfing and he told me that he and his wife joined the Y and he has started to swim. This morning I went out with him for my first time to see how I liked it. Gad zooks, am I ever out of shape! But, then again, I already knew that what with my back trouble and what not. I managed to get 11 lengths in of a 25 meter pool and that was it for me. I guess that's not too bad for a first outing, but I wonder how the heck I'm going to feel tomorrow?

We are going again Monday provided I don't have any ill effects. From that point on I will be on my own dime. It's a nice new facility and everyone I met was very friendly. I'm thinking I'll try a swimmer's card which gives me 12 swims which should pretty much take me to the end of the year going twice a week.

A full membership runs about $50 a month which gives access to all the facilities as well as personal trainers. That's what my buddy and his wife have. My physiotherapist thinks a membership is a good idea because i could use some gym time to rebuild what I've lost from my injury, but at least I feel as though I can now see a road back after a long lost period in the wilderness...

The Y is fabulous. I have 2 advantages, 1 my wife works there meaning also free memberships for both of us, and 2 ours is only about a mile away. As I've mentioned earlier she is a runner, and does lots of 5k's and half marathons, but this year decided out of the blue to start working her way into the triathlon world, so she began that in the spring and became the state champ by the end of the summer in the beginner series. Not an easy task. The Y just put an article in the November newsletter about her, I'm very proud of her :)

Give her a big pat on the back from DW and myself, this is truly an inspirational story.

Indeed! :good:

---------------------

A bit of a rough night. Woke about 2:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Ended up resorting to Voltaren and an Advil. More comfortable now, but still doing stretches hourly it seems as I try to motivate myself to take out the recycle bins.

Nothing I didn't expect really and as per usual I probably did more than I should have for a first time out or I suppose that's a second time out as I went swimming about a month ago when we were away for a weekender. Comparing the two, I would say I've made progress. Monday should be doable if this is the worst of it. Gotta start somewhere and push, but going to take my time ramping up.

DW has been suffering from chronic back pain for a long time, I can relieve it with massage but hope to be able to exersize more with spookies exersizes after the ablation, pain causes stress which brings on the AF. 24 days Togo.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Hadn’t had a chance to log back in, but I’m back. Lol

4’x8’ painting of my hometown in my dining room. I haven’t created in such a long time it is almost embarassing. Kudos to momma on keeping some of my work from high school and getting them nicely framed recently. It put a small gleam in my eye and honestly took me back to that time. She’s encouraged me to get back into anything artistic upon my return from my time in the Marine Corps. Any speck of talent I had or have, I took for granted. I’ve missed it, and hope to never keep myself from creating as long as I have again.

Pick up a new sketch book, basic pencils, and maybe some prismacolors to start off slow right? Not this knucklehead. Straight into a painting I’m going to have to see every day, eat and live with. LOL @ myself. But it doesn’t end there! I thought I would be a cool guy and decide to only use the primary colors red, yellow, blue in the painting as well. Black & white for lightening, shading, etc. I thought golf has given me patience & a great temperament. Making the color brown and it’s different hues struck a frustration chord in me, I never knew I had! In hindsight it was a great idea to limit myself to the primary colors, got me back to the color wheel & other art fundamentals I haven’t thought about in some time! Mixing colors became something I looked forward to and sparked that desire to paint inside of me.

Welp, I’m happy with the results nonetheless. Can’t wait to take on my next one. But for now I did get a sketch pad and essentials needed to get ideas flowing & such. ;)

Acrylics on textured drywall. Photorealism, maybe.

Very good painting mo, the background is extreemly well done, the sky and mountain range are difficult particularly in acrylics. I started using primary colours but it was taking too long to find the exact tone I wanted and at 76 time is of the essence. I was using acrylics then went onto oils as it gives more time when blending colours.

Look foreword to more painting posts. Did you know Gus who owns the Grille has an art wall where you can hang the paintings. :)

Along that line, Gus and his wife will be having their 25th wedding anniversary next summer. To celebrate they are going to take their first trip to Europe. They will make a stop in France to see the Louvre. They are already leaving each other cutesie notes trying to outdo each other on play of words. Gustina said it must be 'In Seine' just to be near the place', while Gus said 'Hey Gustina, you probably want to get an eye-fill of that tower too don't you?' Cyndy corrected that stycky note and said 'Gus, FYY, Yt's Eyefull'

Hadn’t had a chance to log back in, but I’m back. Lol

4’x8’ painting of my hometown in my dining room. I haven’t created in such a long time it is almost embarassing. Kudos to momma on keeping some of my work from high school and getting them nicely framed recently. It put a small gleam in my eye and honestly took me back to that time. She’s encouraged me to get back into anything artistic upon my return from my time in the Marine Corps. Any speck of talent I had or have, I took for granted. I’ve missed it, and hope to never keep myself from creating as long as I have again.

Pick up a new sketch book, basic pencils, and maybe some prismacolors to start off slow right? Not this knucklehead. Straight into a painting I’m going to have to see every day, eat and live with. LOL @ myself. But it doesn’t end there! I thought I would be a cool guy and decide to only use the primary colors red, yellow, blue in the painting as well. Black & white for lightening, shading, etc. I thought golf has given me patience & a great temperament. Making the color brown and it’s different hues struck a frustration chord in me, I never knew I had! In hindsight it was a great idea to limit myself to the primary colors, got me back to the color wheel & other art fundamentals I haven’t thought about in some time! Mixing colors became something I looked forward to and sparked that desire to paint inside of me.

Welp, I’m happy with the results nonetheless. Can’t wait to take on my next one. But for now I did get a sketch pad and essentials needed to get ideas flowing & such. ;)

Acrylics on textured drywall. Photorealism, maybe.

Very good painting mo, the background is extreemly well done, the sky and mountain range are difficult particularly in acrylics. I started using primary colours but it was taking too long to find the exact tone I wanted and at 76 time is of the essence. I was using acrylics then went onto oils as it gives more time when blending colours.

Look foreword to more painting posts. Did you know Gus who owns the Grille has an art wall where you can hang the paintings. :)

Along that line, Gus and his wife will be having their 25th wedding anniversary next summer. To celebrate they are going to take their first trip to Europe. They will make a stop in France to see the Louvre. They are already leaving each other cutesie notes trying to outdo each other on play of words. Gustina said it must be 'In Seine' just to be near the place', while Gus said 'Hey Gustina, you probably want to get an eye-fill of that tower too don't you?' Cyndy corrected that stycky note and said 'Gus, FYY, Yt's Eyefull'

Happy anticipation when we have a report on his holiday, meanwhile the Grille Cyndy will be running the joint, happy days, interesting meals.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Today is decision day, we have a contractor giving us cost time line and options for a new system, funnily enough the mob we are now tied to contacted me and changed the quote for fixing our present system, instead of being $1000 plus any number of other possible faults the price is now $900 irrespective of the amount of work done. We are now having to decide if we want to spend the extra in the interim as the rainy season is here and we will be inundated with crap. We are not of a mind to stay with them as they were extreemly condescending initially and when that did not work they were out and out rude, they seem to forget we are the customers and are supporting their earnings, no more though I would rather s*** in a bucket.

Irrespective of costs this eco system is too difficult to maintain in the manner it was designed for, the restrictions in what we can use are stupid, he even wanted me to contact him if we were going to change cleaning items so he could tell us if it was OK to use, my respons is unprintable, I asked him to tell me what to look for in the ingredients and he could not give me a list, and the few things he could remember he could not spell, this is one of the people that designed the system. A con job.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Today is decision day, we have a contractor giving us cost time line and options for a new system, funnily enough the mob we are now tied to contacted me and changed the quote for fixing our present system, instead of being $1000 plus any number of other possible faults the price is now $900 irrespective of the amount of work done. We are now having to decide if we want to spend the extra in the interim as the rainy season is here and we will be inundated with crap. We are not of a mind to stay with them as they were extreemly condescending initially and when that did not work they were out and out rude, they seem to forget we are the customers and are supporting their earnings, no more though I would rather s*** in a bucket.

Irrespective of costs this eco system is too difficult to maintain in the manner it was designed for, the restrictions in what we can use are stupid, he even wanted me to contact him if we were going to change cleaning items so he could tell us if it was OK to use, my respons is unprintable, I asked him to tell me what to look for in the ingredients and he could not give me a list, and the few things he could remember he could not spell, this is one of the people that designed the system. A con job.

You crack me up tol... I hope this all works out for you :)

You crack me up tol... I hope this all works out for you :)

Meeting went well today, cost will be around $15,000 fixed contract price by tomorrow Sunday, they can start in about 4weeks that is drawings, council inspection of the drawings and the best part is the start at 7 am and finish by 3 pm the same day, was extreemly impressed with Jamie the business owner so when we receive the quote it’s almost certain we will go ahead.

Sixty I aim to please, have had many pleasant days in the Grille, if I can act the nutter and get a smile that’s all I need to make life good.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I think I have shown this one before, I did this as one of my last acrylic paintings.

Just beautiful.

Walked 15 holes yesterday, about 55 degrees, sunny, and windy. By the time I got home around noon, cloudy. Rained all day soon after that. Spent the afternoon cleaning my golf shoes. I've been putting Johnson's paste wax on a semi fabric pair of spikeless Callaway Balboa shoes. Dry as a bone with the wax treatment.

The leaves are coming down, but although the golf course isn't covered, I still managed to lose 6 balls. I never use good balls, so no big deal. Duffed two in the woods, with an old GBB. I've been using the Optiforce, hitting it well.

Some years ago, I bought a Walter Hagen Sunday bag at Dick's. Very light, makes my Jones bags feel positively heavy. Anyhow, used that Hagen bag for a few years, until it ripped beyond use. Of course, Dick's had discontinued the model, hardly anybody walks. I ordered on Ebay another for $35 including shipping. Got it Saturday, unused condition. What a joy to carry. Carried it yesterday with 5 clubs. Seems actually TOO light for 5 clubs. Will add a 6th.

Rain as I write. No golf today.

I have a Tourtrak which I think was a Golfsmith brand. Someone gave it to me in some stuff a few years back brand new still collapsed in the package. Nice little nylon bag for what it is. I take it to the range some when messing with my hickories or experimental clubs. I use it on my 5 club or 7 club walking rounds playing vintage. I did modify it though ( would you seriously expect anything different from me?) I replaced the flimsy stock short strap with one from a old Titleist Staff bag which is a well padded strap. I keep about 5 balls 2 gloves and some tees in it. Usually in my walking rounds I start out with 5 balls and end up with 10. Funny when I am walking how many balls I can find not even trying.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Who ever heard of a November tournament in this climate; I mean seriously?!

I was at the curling club last night for DW mixed league. We stay for supper afterwards. I'm sitting at the table with the rest of the players from the the sheet where my wife was playing and the woman to my left, who is quite an avid golfer apparently, was talking about still having a tournament left in her ladies' league schedule despite the wind-up banquet already having taken place. I think it's supposed to be next weekend. Most courses around here will be closed by then I'm fairly certain. No accounting for snow I guess...

----------------------------

The curling club used to serve excellent meals at very affordable prices. The couple that had been doing it for 18 years retired after last season (due to health reasons) so a new caterer/bartender was hired coming from the local golf course. First thing that happened was the prices went up, as in way up. $10.95 was typically the dinner price and it is now $14 + tax. The food offering is fairly similar, but there has been issues with quality. It didn't take me long to figure out why.

The woman that does the cooking comes in around 5:00 pm to prepare the meal. Because i was there watching the game, I saw what she had prepped and it looked very good. She puts the hot dishes into the oven to cook. Once the bartender arrives around 6:30 pm she gives him instructions and leaves with the food still cooking or being kept warm. The bartender does the serving and clean-up.

Shortly after she left i could smell something burning. do I say something? He's right there behind the bar, surely he can smell it too. No, I guess not. he was too busy with his phone! The burgers were dried out and the sweet potato fries were burnt! $14 for something like that?! No wonder people aren't taking advantage of the meals being offered. We've been told to use it or lose it. I can see the need for a letter going to the board to explain the deficiency. In the meant time, I wonder if Gus would be good enough to send one of the girls to help this no mind bartender!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well Grillers I was hoping to get 18,000 likes before page 700, not going to happen now, page 699 so I lost the race :(

Yep but I think you have the all time record with the amount of likes versus the number of posts---- You know our posts in the 19th hole do not count towards our general post count for some reason. 17000+ likes and 4 posts unreal

I was at the curling club last night for DW mixed league. We stay for supper afterwards. I'm sitting at the table with the rest of the players from the the sheet where my wife was playing and the woman to my left, who is quite an avid golfer apparently, was talking about still having a tournament left in her ladies' league schedule despite the wind-up banquet already having taken place. I think it's supposed to be next weekend. Most courses around here will be closed by then I'm fairly certain. No accounting for snow I guess...

The curling club used to serve excellent meals at very affordable prices. The couple that had been doing it for 18 years retired after last season (due to health reasons) so a new caterer/bartender was hired coming from the local golf course. First thing that happened was the prices went up, as in way up. $10.95 was typically the dinner price and it is now $14 + tax. The food offering is fairly similar, but there has been issues with quality. It didn't take me long to figure out why.

The woman that does the cooking comes in around 5:00 pm to prepare the meal. Because i was there watching the game, I saw what she had prepped and it looked very good. She puts the hot dishes into the oven to cook. Once the bartender arrives around 6:30 pm she gives him instructions and leaves with the food still cooking or being kept warm. The bartender does the serving and clean-up.

Shortly after she left i could smell something burning. do I say something? He's right there behind the bar, surely he can smell it too. No, I guess not. he was too busy with his phone! The burgers were dried out and the sweet potato fries were burnt! $14 for something like that?! No wonder people aren't taking advantage of the meals being offered. We've been told to use it or lose it. I can see the need for a letter going to the board to explain the deficiency. In the meant time, I wonder if Gus would be good enough to send one of the girls to help this no mind bartender!

Saw a commercial last night that made me think of you. They had a kid on one of those round sled things going down a small incline and his Dad (I presume) had the broom in front of him sweeping the ice like you guys do curling.

People like that bartender they are called "Digital Deadwalkers" got their head stuck in that damn phone all the time. Yep you guys ought to complain but if it is like around here no one gives two s***s anyhow. Had some lady damn near knock me down in the store the other day. Had her nose stuck in the phone. She did say "sorry I did not see you" Now note I had my work clothes on which are blue with dayglo yellow strips on them and I am 6 ft 2 in tall and weight 300 lbs. I told her she needed to get her nose out of that damn phone and pay attention. And this was no young kid either this lady I would say was 50 at least. Around here the old farts are worse than the kids no joke especially driving. You will see some blue hair driving 15 in a 45 zone holding up traffic with yep phone stuck to their ear. We have had several incidents with younger kids on Ocean Blvd talking on phones not paying attention walking right out into traffic. One girl 17 years old died last year from that. Texting while driving laws in this state that is a joke. $25 fine IF they catch you. I see it all day every day driving a big truck. Me I do not talk on them that much except during the work week and then that is job related. I flat refuse to carry a cell phone on the course. My wife is the only person that is pertinent to me and she knows where I am playing at that day and if she needs me she knows how to call the course I am at. A majority of people these days both young and old live and die by the phone. When they call they expect you to pick up then and there or if they leave a message answer it in 5 minutes. Had a guy call the other day to ask a BS question and left 5 messages. He was pissed that I did not get back to him right off. I told him I was playing golf. And there was no emergency in the world other than my wife that was pertinent to me. he got further steamed that he was not important enough to interrupt my golf game. I basically told him to FO and do not call me again. Two places I absolutely refuse to carry my phone are the golf course and that includes the practice area and Church. I have actually seen folks in church looking at their cell phones. Now some of them do have their Bible Hub on it instead of a printed Bible but a lot of them are texting. What good is it to go to church if you are not paying any attention to what is being said and done there? The Bible Hub thing I have absolutely no problem with it. glad I am 61 years old and can not live but so much longer as to what this world is coming to

Well Grillers I was hoping to get 18,000 likes before page 700, not going to happen now, page 699 so I lost the race :(

Yep but I think you have the all time record with the amount of likes versus the number of posts---- You know our posts in the 19th hole do not count towards our general post count for some reason. 17000+ likes and 4 posts unreal

Stay in the Grille as I have the unfortunate ability to engage with the nut jobs, never ends well. Love the Grille it’s like a security blanket.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Saw a commercial last night that made me think of you. They had a kid on one of those round sled things going down a small incline and his Dad (I presume) had the broom in front of him sweeping the ice like you guys do curling.

People like that bartender they are called "Digital Deadwalkers" got their head stuck in that damn phone all the time. Yep you guys ought to complain but if it is like around here no one gives two s***s anyhow. Had some lady damn near knock me down in the store the other day. Had her nose stuck in the phone. She did say "sorry I did not see you" Now note I had my work clothes on which are blue with dayglo yellow strips on them and I am 6 ft 2 in tall and weight 300 lbs. I told her she needed to get her nose out of that damn phone and pay attention. And this was no young kid either this lady I would say was 50 at least. Around here the old farts are worse than the kids no joke especially driving. You will see some blue hair driving 15 in a 45 zone holding up traffic with yep phone stuck to their ear. We have had several incidents with younger kids on Ocean Blvd talking on phones not paying attention walking right out into traffic. One girl 17 years old died last year from that. Texting while driving laws in this state that is a joke. $25 fine IF they catch you. I see it all day every day driving a big truck. Me I do not talk on them that much except during the work week and then that is job related. I flat refuse to carry a cell phone on the course. My wife is the only person that is pertinent to me and she knows where I am playing at that day and if she needs me she knows how to call the course I am at. A majority of people these days both young and old live and die by the phone. When they call they expect you to pick up then and there or if they leave a message answer it in 5 minutes. Had a guy call the other day to ask a BS question and left 5 messages. He was pissed that I did not get back to him right off. I told him I was playing golf. And there was no emergency in the world other than my wife that was pertinent to me. he got further steamed that he was not important enough to interrupt my golf game. I basically told him to FO and do not call me again. Two places I absolutely refuse to carry my phone are the golf course and that includes the practice area and Church. I have actually seen folks in church looking at their cell phones. Now some of them do have their Bible Hub on it instead of a printed Bible but a lot of them are texting. What good is it to go to church if you are not paying any attention to what is being said and done there? The Bible Hub thing I have absolutely no problem with it. glad I am 61 years old and can not live but so much longer as to what this world is coming to

Large fines in Australia for using the phone when driving, if you use the phone in a car the engine has to be stopped and the key out of the ignition, does not stop them though. When they walk towards me with their nose in the phone I let them bump into me and make a big fuss, in some cities they now have police watching the crossings and issuing fines for crossing the road with your nose in a phone.

I was watching kids in a shopping center, they were sitting next to each other but texting instead of talking, I agree the world has gone mad, unfortunately it will get worse before it gets better.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Fortunately we have serious fines if you're caught using a cellphone while driving. It's around $300 for a first offence and there are also demerit points involved, IOW your insurance premiums will go up too! Still, that doesn't stop them because as you well know there are laws and then there is enforcement, little of which happens until there's a collision. I've spent countless minutes waiting at intersections with a green light because some fool is texting at the front of the line!

I think that I have mentioned before about a fellow I played golf with a couple of years back that was talking on his phone the whole damned round! I was a single paired up with two brothers and the one guy seemed about as interested in the golf game as he was in catching a cold! I even wondered aloud to the other guy why phoneman bothered to leave the office?! Turns out the other guy was the brother visiting from the west coast and he just wanted to play golf at the course he used to play at as a kid. I kinda felt sorry for him that his brother couldn't spare a couple of hours for him. :(

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Large fines in Australia for using the phone when driving, if you use the phone in a car the engine has to be stopped and the key out of the ignition, does not stop them though. When they walk towards me with their nose in the phone I let them bump into me and make a big fuss, in some cities they now have police watching the crossings and issuing fines for crossing the road with your nose in a phone.

I was watching kids in a shopping center, they were sitting next to each other but texting instead of talking, I agree the world has gone mad, unfortunately it will get worse before it gets better.

Don't know whether you've ever seen the Disney movie WALL-E, but the way in which human interactions are depicted is not far off the truth at this time.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

One of my many jobs was as a chef, when DW and I first married we moved away from the rest of the family for a completely fresh start. Before we purchased our first house I was looking for a job and noticed a course run by the local labour office that also paid you a basic wage to take the course. I applied got a position and spent 12 months learning to cook.

Shortly after the course finished we purchased our first house in a small Cornish village, a week after we moved in a local carvery only 10 minute walk advertised for a chef, I got the job and was taken on as the evening shift chef. As with you I was apalled at the slack attitude of the staff, this was a resturaunt that served up to 200 meals a night, it took me a while to knock them into shape, none of them appreciated being held to account and thought the customers were lucky to be allowed to eat there. Moved on from there fairly soon as the owners a retired doctor and his wife did not give a stuff as long as the money came in. My next catering job was completely different, a hospital kitchen where every meal was cooked fresh every day, unlike now where they are transported in and reheated.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

There also large fines and demerit points in Australia, don’t know what it is about phones but they do seem to be glued to them. I have one which costs me $10 every six months and then I do not use it all, so far I have accumulated nearly $100 on my account. I have mine switched on when playing golf but this is only for emergencies, I think it’s twice I have had to leave as DW was not well, apart from that I agree with Stu, it’s bad manners.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

There also large fines and demerit points in Australia, don’t know what it is about phones but they do seem to be glued to them. I have one which costs me $10 every six months and then I do not use it all, so far I have accumulated nearly $100 on my account. I have mine switched on when playing golf but this is only for emergencies, I think it’s twice I have had to leave as DW was not well, apart from that I agree with Stu, it’s bad manners.

In your case as with your DW being sick I have no problem with the phone on the course. They did a study here in the States as to why the younger folks do not react well in face to face conversations. The conclusion is that they are used to texting or social media with no face to face contact. Makes me wonder how the young folks can procreate unless somehow they have an app where one can get pregnant on the phone. Something else I see here with the Touron families. Say a typical family comes into the pancake restaurant. they may place an order and then all of them are on separate cell phones lost in their own digital world no face to face conversations. While they are eating they have the phone on the side of their plate shoveling food and lost in the digital world

Heard an amazing stat the other day that young people look at their phone an average

of 2500 times per day.

What is funny I have a tendency to either leave mine in the big truck or in the pick up at home--- The only time I really think about it is Thursday night if Bear or Checkers has not texted me with Saturday's tee time. Usually they text me on Thursday----- One holiday weekend it stayed in the Mack truck for 4 days. The only calls were from people selling stuff. Something else I like to do when I have time and am bored is to screw with these solicitors. I know a little Japanese (no phrases just numbers and Judo throws) and I will speak that at them. I used to do the Spanish thing some but I am not fluent there and so many people know Spanish now. Had someone call me several times about extended warranty car insurance. Finally answered them and really screwed with them. Of course I know both of my vehicles are so old I ain't getting any kind of warranty. When I told them the make and years of my vehicles they said that I was ineligible. I told her hell fire I knew that so why in the hell did you call me? No answer they hung up. I also get calls from CSRs with a certain accent and I will tell them I flat refuse to do business with any company that outsources their sales help outside the USA. Had someone the other night call several times and I finally answered them. It was some kind of scam wanting my SS number. Said I was due some money. I told them I did not give out info like that on the phone or computer. The girl insisted I was due some money. I told her if that was the case i would give them my lawyer's name address and phone number and they could contact him. She hung up fast. Ran a reverse directory scan on the number and it came back to a LLC in Lumberton NC. Checked on the Secretary of State site for NC and no such LLC was listed. Reported it to a County Officer I know and he said there was a lot of those scam artists these days. But he did take the info I wanted down and turned it into the County Fraud Task Force. .

In your case as with your DW being sick I have no problem with the phone on the course. They did a study here in the States as to why the younger folks do not react well in face to face conversations. The conclusion is that they are used to texting or social media with no face to face contact. Makes me wonder how the young folks can procreate unless somehow they have an app where one can get pregnant on the phone. Something else I see here with the Touron families. Say a typical family comes into the pancake restaurant. they may place an order and then all of them are on separate cell phones lost in their own digital world no face to face conversations. While they are eating they have the phone on the side of their plate shoveling food and lost in the digital world

I remember the first time I ran across that sort of behavior was probably 10 years ago or so. DW and I were at an Italian restaurant for dinner before we went bowling. We were seated across the isle from a younger couple who I would have placed as late 20's to early 30's. They never said a word to each other instead just texting away on their phones as they shoveled in the food. I said to my wife: I wonder if they're talking to each other? I had the same thought that you did STU; how do they procreate if they never speak to each other?

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Man, thats a shame. Nothin worse than when a good food spot goes south. Hope they can turn it around.

In my teens, I worked at 2 big restaurants.

One was an awesome, high-end, Italian place. Owner was like 5'10, 350. And his 3 sons worked there. This place was a hot spot. Used to get some "connected" guys. Lots of gorgeous women. What an experience. In the kitchen, it got insane on a Saturday night. Youd hear the words "m***** f**** every 2 minutes as all the cooks and chefs/prep guys scramble to prepare exquisite dishes. Lobster, steaks, pastas. But they had great teamwork and got it done. I had it easy as a busboy. Just set and clear, fill water, customers were very nice.

The other wasnt a restaurant but the big kitchen of a country club. What a blast. It was mostly older rich couples from Manhattan. During the day, we served lunch orders as they finished their golf rounds. They were funny, this one guy would be like,

"Young man, my wife thinks youre very handsome"

Then on weekends, we would serve huge dinners for like 300+ people. It got crazy but we all worked together to get it done and provide great service.

As far as the phone dynamic ie. People eating dinner and just looking at their phones. Its a horrible commentary on things. I fear that personal interaction skills are being lost.

well...just hold on...i have been gone for awhile...and i am catching up...so you may get there yet !

Well..didn't get ya all the way...but got it up into the 940's...now if a couple others will go back a ways and find some posts they missed.......

you might get there yet...i am not posting anymore to keep it from going to the next page !

TOOLED !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Heard an amazing stat the other day that young people look at their phone an average

of 2500 times per day.

I believe that. I have really wonderful millennials (quality engineers) who work for me, under 25 yrs. old, so this is their first job. It's been fun being their manager, and challenging, and a learning experience, and I have been fortunate that they (3 of them) are excellent workers. However they have their techy devices surgically attached to their bodies at all times. They pretty much follow my rules, and I do have rules, but I have cut some slack in that they use them in the plant to page each other, take pics of problems, text me and each other, notify supervisors of issues, and have improved communication like ten-fold since the paging system sucks just by teaching key people the most effective way to use them without wasting time. When they they have a free legal minute however or they know I will let them use them for other purposes, they are texting a friend, or buying other planets with a quick click etc. I had an outside auditor in for a visit in a conference room recently, a guy we have worked with for years and they were in there too. He left for a pit stop and had asked me about retiring. So when he did, then knew then could pull out the phones. So I experimented by saying in a low tone voice to no one as they weren't listening "yeah, retirement, I will need to clear out those alligators that seeped into the basement after last night's earthquake... not sure if it was sparked by the tornado and hurricane or what".. they didn't even look up, and then he came back in to hear 'hurricane' so he said "yeah, this has been the year hasn't it?" and one of them without even looking at me said "he was talking about his basement but he thinks we weren't listening, and they all laughed. He just said "Ok, 5 points off for 'crazy place' " They really don't miss a trick but they must have their phones, I could have sworn they didn't hear a word i was saying....

of 2500 times per day.

What is funny I have a tendency to either leave mine in the big truck or in the pick up at home--- The only time I really think about it is Thursday night if Bear or Checkers has not texted me with Saturday's tee time. Usually they text me on Thursday----- One holiday weekend it stayed in the Mack truck for 4 days. The only calls were from people selling stuff. Something else I like to do when I have time and am bored is to screw with these solicitors. I know a little Japanese (no phrases just numbers and Judo throws) and I will speak that at them. I used to do the Spanish thing some but I am not fluent there and so many people know Spanish now. Had someone call me several times about extended warranty car insurance. Finally answered them and really screwed with them. Of course I know both of my vehicles are so old I ain't getting any kind of warranty. When I told them the make and years of my vehicles they said that I was ineligible. I told her hell fire I knew that so why in the hell did you call me? No answer they hung up. I also get calls from CSRs with a certain accent and I will tell them I flat refuse to do business with any company that outsources their sales help outside the USA. Had someone the other night call several times and I finally answered them. It was some kind of scam wanting my SS number. Said I was due some money. I told them I did not give out info like that on the phone or computer. The girl insisted I was due some money. I told her if that was the case i would give them my lawyer's name address and phone number and they could contact him. She hung up fast. Ran a reverse directory scan on the number and it came back to a LLC in Lumberton NC. Checked on the Secretary of State site for NC and no such LLC was listed. Reported it to a County Officer I know and he said there was a lot of those scam artists these days. But he did take the info I wanted down and turned it into the County Fraud Task Force. .

I have an email account I only use for a few personal things, over the past six months I have been bombarded with emails saying I have won millions of dollars, all I have to do is pay a small finders fee to have it released, last week the money was cash waiting for me in a box at my local airport, unfortunately it was in Los Angeles so I had to turn it down.

A friend always keeps the cold callers on as long as he can, then as he is getting rid of them he tells them he was wasting their time and it stopped them bothering others whilst he was talking. Funny but he never gets two calls from the same people.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

LOL I will have to try that one

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)