2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Walked nine yesterday. Around 40 degrees, sunny and no wind, quite pleasant. Was short on everything, playing with an old BBB, and 6-8-9 Haig Ultras, and Bullseye. Only had one par.

Happy to out there, though.

Indeed. I think what I miss the most about not playing is the lack of the social connection. Went to the mall this morning to walk and I was just another one of the solitary drones doing the same darned thing. I'm even starting to recognize faces as the walkers all get their rounds in before the stores open. Still, it beats the heck out of outdoor activity in this kind of weather!

There are several groups of morning walkers at our local mall, they seem to enjoy themselves chatting away whilst they walk. Perhaps you should try joining a group or are they all individual walkers? Nothing worse than social isolation.

That's what concerns me most about retiring coupled with the fact that I can't drive anymore, double whammy. I'm extremely social as a manager in a factory of 600, so I'll go from that to 0 in a matter of one day, while my DW works for another 3 years, yikes...

We may have to get a rapid transit pass then we can hang out :)

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Walked nine yesterday. Around 40 degrees, sunny and no wind, quite pleasant. Was short on everything, playing with an old BBB, and 6-8-9 Haig Ultras, and Bullseye. Only had one par.

Indeed. I think what I miss the most about not playing is the lack of the social connection. Went to the mall this morning to walk and I was just another one of the solitary drones doing the same darned thing. I'm even starting to recognize faces as the walkers all get their rounds in before the stores open. Still, it beats the heck out of outdoor activity in this kind of weather!

There are several groups of morning walkers at our local mall, they seem to enjoy themselves chatting away whilst they walk. Perhaps you should try joining a group or are they all individual walkers? Nothing worse than social isolation.

That's what concerns me most about retiring coupled with the fact that I can't drive anymore, double whammy. I'm extremely social as a manager in a factory of 600, so I'll go from that to 0 in a matter of one day, while my DW works for another 3 years, yikes...

We may have to get a rapid transit pass then we can hang out :)

It's a deal... :drinks:

Retirement is a difficult transition, especially with someone who has had a very active work life. To go from hours worked, commute and lunch time, maybe 12 or more hours a day, to getting up with nowhere to go, nothing to do is tough.

Sco describes the mall scene exactly. I don't go to the local mall very often, maybe, once every two months. But the scene of old people walking in the desolate mall would depress anyone. There's also a senior center, filled with fossils of every type. I've only walked passed the place, but seems a good place to go , if one has nothing else.

I feel fortunate that I can still walk and golf. Solo golf is a joy to me in the last five years or so, since the old guy league disbanded at the course. I played nine holes with a younger guy (56) Sunday (his invitation) and the 2.50 hour nine was sheer torture. I walked to my ball ready to hit; the fellow was not even in the riding cart yet, yakking away. Nice guy, but way too slow. He told me how, at another course, he and a friend were chastised for slow play, and given the option to speed up, or get a refund. They got a refund after five holes.

Not being able to drive, like Sixty, is another horrible side of retirement. I dread the time, when I can no longer drive, or walk the golf course like I do now. It'll be like unending winter hibernation.

Hopefully, not for a while yet.

Retirement is a difficult transition, especially with someone who has had a very active work life. To go from hours worked, commute and lunch time, maybe 12 or more hours a day, to getting up with nowhere to go, nothing to do is tough.

Sco describes the mall scene exactly. I don't go to the local mall very often, maybe, once every two months. But the scene of old people walking in the desolate mall would depress anyone. There's also a senior center, filled with fossils of every type. I've only walked passed the place, but seems a good place to go , if one has nothing else.

I feel fortunate that I can still walk and golf. Solo golf is a joy to me in the last five years or so, since the old guy league disbanded at the course. I played nine holes with a younger guy (56) Sunday (his invitation) and the 2.50 hour nine was sheer torture. I walked to my ball ready to hit; the fellow was not even in the riding cart yet, yakking away. Nice guy, but way too slow. He told me how, at another course, he and a friend were chastised for slow play, and given the option to speed up, or get a refund. They got a refund after five holes.

Not being able to drive, like Sixty, is another horrible side of retirement. I dread the time, when I can no longer drive, or walk the golf course like I do now. It'll be like unending winter hibernation.

In Australia from 75 onwards you have to have an annual medical test and carry the permission to drive document in the car at all times, passed with flying colours so far, hope to keep it up.

Oe place I worked the father of the owner was 95 and still passing his test.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I worked alone so the transition wasn't that bad. In fact, it was easy as I finally had time to be social. Eventually I started to golf and then curl and I had an instant social circle with those two activities.

I've maintained a social membership in the curling club precisely for that reason and we go once a week for dinner and I watch while my wife plays. The bridge lesson I took back in the spring ended in early July and there has been no attempt made to bring that group back together for a second season of teaching. I continue on once a week in a private group, but it's pretty loosely structured based on schedules.

Like you, Sixty, my wife is still working and will be for another couple of years. The move that we are planning is to get me closer to social interaction without having to drive as much as down-sizing to a smaller place and much more manageable property. But, that is more of a long term project we're finding as there has been interest in our property, but no serious offers.

AS tol noted, there are large groups of mall walkers that get together everyday for their walks and coffee. One of my curling mates does it at a Wal-mart a ways from here. The worst thing about it is that if you're suffering from back trouble the tile flooring on top of concrete can be very unforgiving, so it isn't really ideal. I'm still trying to find my way in my new reality and this will be on-going depending upon how things progress.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I remember reading a little blip somewhere about retirement and noticed a catch phrase

that many have probably heard...."The one thing worse than waking up every day and

having to go to work is waking up every day and having nowhere to go". I paraphrased

that a little as I don't remember the exact wording.

I am going to be new to this retirement thing soon and have enjoyed reading all your

perspectives on it. Combined with my own experiences with others and things that

I have read in recent years, I feel I am armed with considerable knowledge going in.

Of course, you ultimately find out when the rubber meets to road so to speak.

A few things I would like to run by you guys to get your thoughts...................

One is it seems to me that routines and patterns can be established very quickly,

within the first few weeks and months. New found freedom is a great thing but if you

become undisciplined many pitfalls await.

Another is, and this is huge to me and guided by my faith....choose your words very

carefully. Words are far more powerful than most imagine.

I remember reading a little blip somewhere about retirement and noticed a catch phrase

that many have probably heard...."The one thing worse than waking up every day and

having to go to work is waking up every day and having nowhere to go". I paraphrased

I am going to be new to this retirement thing soon and have enjoyed reading all your

perspectives on it. Combined with my own experiences with others and things that

I have read in recent years, I feel I am armed with considerable knowledge going in.

A few things I would like to run by you guys to get your thoughts...................

One is it seems to me that routines and patterns can be established very quickly,

within the first few weeks and months. New found freedom is a great thing but if you

Another is, and this is huge to me and guided by my faith....choose your words very

We have a routine but it’s mainly a first thing in the morning routine. Some days are planned for various reasons, shopping, a planned movie trip and many other things, apart from that we have possibly half our days with no set things .

I like to go out in the garden, weeding, cutting grass, making stuff in the shed. DW likes to sew and make or alter stuff, we both paint more than our set painting day, so in reality we never have a SET routine and rarely find ourselves without a plan for the day or nothing to do. We do discuss plans whilst eating breakfast, it’s usually what are you doing today, that is unless the LIST comes out, then my days jobs are fixed by the boss. At present we have several major projects in hand and they are going to take six months minimum to finish and whilst we are finishing those other projects are poking their heads up saying pick me.

Speaking to friends etc we find retirement takes care of itself, if you are a person who likes to be busy there is plenty to do, if you are the person who likes to sit and contemplate that’s what you do. Too many people obsess about not being bored.

So Conrad, retirement is exactly what you want it to be, think about it carefully, discuss it with your nearest and dearest and you will be surprised how easy it is to organise.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

We have a routine but it’s mainly a first thing in the morning routine. Some days are planned for various reasons, shopping, a planned movie trip and many other things, apart from that we have possibly half our days with no set things .

I like to go out in the garden, weeding, cutting grass, making stuff in the shed. DW likes to sew and make or alter stuff, we both paint more than our set painting day, so in reality we never have a SET routine and rarely find ourselves without a plan for the day or nothing to do. We do discuss plans whilst eating breakfast, it’s usually what are you doing today, that is unless the LIST comes out, then my days jobs are fixed by the boss. At present we have several major projects in hand and they are going to take six months minimum to finish and whilst we are finishing those other projects are poking their heads up saying pick me.

Speaking to friends etc we find retirement takes care of itself, if you are a person who likes to be busy there is plenty to do, if you are the person who likes to sit and contemplate that’s what you do. Too many people obsess about not being bored.

So Conrad, retirement is exactly what you want it to be, think about it carefully, discuss it with your nearest and dearest and you will be surprised how easy it is to organise.

Tol, I have admired you and your DW from afar and enjoy reading about all the things you are doing in

retirement.

Tol, I have admired you and your DW from afar and enjoy reading about all the things you are doing in

retirement.

Thanks Conrad, retirement is really good, the only bit I will not like is the morning I don’t wake up :(

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Up at 4am in the morning, have to be at the hospital for the first test for ablation, appointment before 9am the journey in is about 50 miles and the morning traffic from 5am is horrific. Procedure and recovery about six hours, not a nice one endoscopy to map heart from the inside. To bed soon early night.

Stay well Grillers.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

As I have already said, going from being around 600 people every day, to 0 the next day will be most difficult. I enjoy the work, the challenge, the coaching. Plus my 13 employees are so lovable. The 6 in the direct office I am in, are in cubbies right outside my office, and it's like the TV show Office, although I don't really watch much tv , I've seen enough reruns to get the gist of that on... I swear we are a sitcom of our own. We could be our own tv show, they are all complete characters, and it's a blast. We love working together. Not only are they fun, they also work their tails off too. The new guy I am training to take my place couldn't be any better, and I am thrilled with that, he will work out fine, and so the show will continue.

I don't think I will be bored at all, I'm looking forward to the challenge of finding things to do. Since I didn't get to play golf this year at all, I do know that I can't do that for another year, just not gonna happen. I have a couple of friends in the golf league who are retired and I'm sure we can hook up somehow to play. I think I can play in the league if my daughter can take me. I may try to find just the right spot to put a garden in the back yard as I have always been a gardener. We have a hundred miles of bike paths in the area and I have a nice bike, plus I have a free membership at the Y where my wife works and it's only a mile away. So I can organize all my thoughts while watching the Masters my second week off, ha. Thursday and Friday morning will be very cool to watch it...

Up at 4am in the morning, have to be at the hospital for the first test for ablation, appointment before 9am the journey in is about 50 miles and the morning traffic from 5am is horrific. Procedure and recovery about six hours, not a nice one endoscopy to map heart from the inside. To bed soon early night.

Stay well Grillers.W

Ok, wishing the very best for DW tol, this has been a long wait. It will go well. We are thinking of her, and will keep her in our thoughts and prayers...

Best wishes to Mrs. Tol.

I think the annual driving tests after age 75 are a good idea. Don't know if that can be done in the USA. Too much violation of rights issues, etc. I've heard stories about guys who have had the same insurance company for thirty years without claims. They get into a fender bender, and the company cancels insurance coverage. That person has to deal with high risk coverage, or quit driving.

A neat and clean solution for the aging driver problem, I guess.

Stay well Grillers.W

Ok, wishing the very best for DW tol, this has been a long wait. It will go well. We are thinking of her, and will keep her in our thoughts and prayers...

+1 Best of luck with the procedure, tol!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As I have already said, going from being around 600 people every day, to 0 the next day will be most difficult. I enjoy the work, the challenge, the coaching. Plus my 13 employees are so lovable. The 6 in the direct office I am in, are in cubbies right outside my office, and it's like the TV show Office, although I don't really watch much tv , I've seen enough reruns to get the gist of that on... I swear we are a sitcom of our own. We could be our own tv show, they are all complete characters, and it's a blast. We love working together. Not only are they fun, they also work their tails off too. The new guy I am training to take my place couldn't be any better, and I am thrilled with that, he will work out fine, and so the show will continue.

I don't think I will be bored at all, I'm looking forward to the challenge of finding things to do. Since I didn't get to play golf this year at all, I do know that I can't do that for another year, just not gonna happen. I have a couple of friends in the golf league who are retired and I'm sure we can hook up somehow to play. I think I can play in the league if my daughter can take me. I may try to find just the right spot to put a garden in the back yard as I have always been a gardener. We have a hundred miles of bike paths in the area and I have a nice bike, plus I have a free membership at the Y where my wife works and it's only a mile away. So I can organize all my thoughts while watching the Masters my second week off, ha. Thursday and Friday morning will be very cool to watch it...

I think that you are going to do just grand in retirement, Sixty! :)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Stay well Grillers.

I may have this time zone thing figured wrong but if I'm right, tol and DW would be getting up about right now to prepare for the journey. Godspeed tols, may all go well for you!

The Totally Out Of Likes monster will soon be on my doorstep as I sit here catching up. Made it this far and finally felt a huge urge to reply. First - All respects to those who committed to serving our nation - be it a branch of armed forces or in public health, safety, and law enforcement. I'm sure the worn-out phrases about the US being the greatest place on the planet is often raw hubris. We surely do have more than our share of issues. We simply stand proud of having done in a couple of centuries what wasn't easy to for thousands of years elsewhere. We somehow overcome - even when that means overcoming ourselves. Our pride swells up in big ways at times and we are most proud of those who worked and sacrificed to make freedoms THE promise.

Next - thanks to all for the well wishes to Mrs. Reason. Put a big smile on her face to hear my buds are all sending their best.

Now as to our friend Wriggs and his deepest feelings about walking and driving...

I totally get where these feelings come from. Call it independence, personal peace and well-being... whatever we chose to label it as, it's a really big "thing" to untold people. Heck, so many folks LOVE cruise trips for good reason. But I need to have a car to jump into. Otherwise for me I feel a little trapped.

But having seen it in my own Mom (who dreaded the day she couldn't walk and drive)... there eventually came the time when she couldn't do either very well or very safely. She sort of self-fulfilled her own destiny. She was known to comment that when the day comes her car keys are taken away, life won't be worth living. As she approaches 90 years old - she STILL demands to drive a car even though it's a horrible risk to her and others on the road.

My only reason for hoping on this one post is to say, "I get it. I've witnessed it. Makes perfect sense to me." But with that I just want to toss it out there that life has to have it's next chapters. I don't look forward to immobility of any kind either. But I hope when the time comes, I'll be sitting in some chair next to guys like we find here in the Grille chatting it up and telling old stories. Hope there's connections to the world that take on even more and deeper meaning so those feelings of displaced mobility have something else going on to fill the void. That's the goal. When the time comes, actually doing it may not be so easy but I'm hoping to avoid a repeat of Mom's self fulfilling prophecy.

In summary - Wriggs, you're too good of a guy to let anything stop you.

retirement.

They're never standing still! LMAO. There's always something on their plate. These folks need to go back to work so they can get some rest!

retirement.

They're never standing still! LMAO. There's always something on their plate. These folks need to go back to work so they can get some rest!

The same time you posted this one, we were pulling into the hospital car park feeling disgusted at how much they charge for parking, in Australia they have possibly the most expensive parking than anyone, today will be in excess of $30, and that will be for the next five working days. The problem is the goverment does not want the bother of running them themselves, so it is contracted out to the private sector as are many essential services, this is always going to be a rip off. I suppose overall we are doing well as the very expensive procedures are free.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

retirement.

We apply the principle “ use it or lose it “

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Best wishes to Mrs. Tol.

I think the annual driving tests after age 75 are a good idea. Don't know if that can be done in the USA. Too much violation of rights issues, etc. I've heard stories about guys who have had the same insurance company for thirty years without claims. They get into a fender bender, and the company cancels insurance coverage. That person has to deal with high risk coverage, or quit driving.

A neat and clean solution for the aging driver problem, I guess.

I remember when that was proposed a few years back--- I remember the AARP and another senior group raised Holy Hell and it was dropped----- Insurance companies can do any darn thing they want to rights be dammed. Now states can suspend drivers license or at least SC can regardless of age if one gets in too many accidents or too many violations (tickets). Then to be reinstated the person has to take classes and requalify.

Best wishes to Mrs Tol

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

We have some winter weather weather advisory conditions for this evening. Not sure if that's legal or if we can sue, since it's still fall? What do you think Judge? Anyway it's 'sposed to be just some sleety mix maybe some slight icy conditions by the morning. I think it's just a preview of things to come, or just a rerun of something we've had before as they prepare to load the upcoming season in the weather system computer cannons. Looks like billh will get it a bit sooner than us...

We have some winter weather weather advisory conditions for this evening. Not sure if that's legal or if we can sue, since it's still fall? What do you think Judge? Anyway it's 'sposed to be just some sleety mix maybe some slight icy conditions by the morning. I think it's just a preview of things to come, or just a rerun of something we've had before as they prepare to load the upcoming season in the weather system computer cannons. Looks like billh will get it a bit sooner than us...

The computers malfunctioned down here and sent us 3 days of continuous rain followed

by temps in the low 30s. It turned out someone entered the wrong zip code into the computers.

It was supposed to be 66078 and they entered 36078 by mistake. Somewhere someone is

shovelling 6" of partly cloudy out of their driveway due to another zip code error.

I say we rise up and take back our weather.

The computers malfunctioned down here and sent us 3 days of continuous rain followed

by temps in the low 30s. It turned out someone entered the wrong zip code into the computers.

It was supposed to be 66078 and they entered 36078 by mistake. Somewhere someone is

shovelling 6" of partly cloudy out of their driveway due to another zip code error.

Forcing ugly weather on innocent bystanders is punishable. 1000 fire ants in the BVDs and/or 10 years sniff testing fresh camel crap.

No camels were injured during the making of this post. Two fire ants sustained minor asphyxia and were provided immediate medical care. The opinions in the post do not represent those of this forums sponsors, management, and staff. Please support fire ants and camels. They're people, too.

Forcing ugly weather on innocent bystanders is punishable. 1000 fire ants in the BVDs and/or 10 years sniff testing fresh camel crap.

No camels were injured during the making of this post. Two fire ants sustained minor asphyxia and were provided immediate medical care. The opinions in the post do not represent those of this forums sponsors, management, and staff. Please support fire ants and camels. They're people, too.

1000 fire ants in the BVDs sounds like no child left behind birth control torture. Couple

that with camel toes in view and you have some desperate men jumping around.

Well we got the rain but no 30s temps-----yet. It has been sorta crazy this week--- I can leave the beach and it will be raining and 60* at 0400. Time I get to Darlington some 80 miles away it is raining and 50*---- As I am typing this AM it is raining and we are getting big wind gusts--- Doing a single run up this AM with the shredder trailer and then swinging by and picking up what is called the " Horseshoe" for the shear at at machine shop in Florence. Got 2 more dump trailer loads on this contract but the Steel Mill put a hold order out until they can clear the piles and use what they have for production. Usually when that happens I switch back to the open top shredder trailers and do that or some special project with the step deck. One thing about it I always have something I can do. Probably no golf this weekend the courses were already soaked to begin with and did not dry out before this last round of rain. Bear and myself did con my buddy (pro and GM) out of a Handicapped flag last week but I do not see it happening this week. I may walk and play 9 at my course Saturday afternoon I will see.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

1000 fire ants in the BVDs sounds like no child left behind birth control torture. Couple

Maybe when I retire I'll stay up later and come to the Grille. Since the course closes at dark, the animals and insects gravitate to the main light source on the premises it seems. Do you call the squad for asphyxiated fire ants since fire EMT's usually play dual roles anyways, do you try mouth to mandible resuscitation? If the 2 ants truly die, to the other ants march them out to the ant dumpster? If you're playing poker and the ants want to play and anty up, who explains kindly that it's ante up? Did anyone else have an Ant (sic) Mildred besides Wrig and me? (I think it was Wrig) What about the camels? I remember when the old famous golf announcer Ben Wright said of the camel's golf game "They're handicapped because their humps get in the way when they swing". As far as their camel toes go, their clubs are probably Taylormade... :dntknw:

Maybe when I retire I'll stay up later and come to the Grille. Since the course closes at dark, the animals and insects gravitate to the main light source on the premises it seems. Do you call the squad for asphyxiated fire ants since fire EMT's usually play dual roles anyways, do you try mouth to mandible resuscitation? If the 2 ants truly die, to the other ants march them out to the ant dumpster? If you're playing poker and the ants want to play and anty up, who explains kindly that it's ante up? Did anyone else have an Ant (sic) Mildred besides Wrig and me? (I think it was Wrig) What about the camels? I remember when the old famous golf announcer Ben Wright said of the camel's golf game "They're handicapped because their humps get in the way when they swing". As far as their camel toes go, their clubs are probably Taylormade... :dntknw:

Now leave these ants alone, did you know some ants live to 28 years old. Just imagine all the ant knowledge you are smashing if the mouth to mandible goes wrong. As for camels, enough said, their toes are preciouse.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)