Hemmorhoids and golf

Hammerboy

This is a very serious post, I hope no one makes fun of it

I have not been able to enjoy playing golf the last few months because of hemmorhoid pain. Started in march and things really took a downhill turn when a colorectal guy put a scope up me in a hurray (probably a dozen people in the waiting room) and tore me up, causing a fissure and a fistula. The pain for several weeks was unbearable, I tried a lot of over the counter remedies, hot baths, etc, the problem got worse. It became impossible to enjoy golf. My concentration at work suffered to the point where my judgement was failing, I was not myself, depressed because of the pain, and spending hours upon hours in the bathroom icing myself down, which provided just temporary relief.

I am not shy , shared my problem with fellow golfers, co-workers, and friends and found out that a lot more people suffer this affliction than I ever imagined, and they suffer in silence. It is embarrassing to some, but why should you be embarrassed really, it is not something to be ashamed of, and i have since learned that there is a strong genetic predisposition to all this.

Finally bit the bullet, saw 2 surgeons, and they recommended hemmorhoidectomy, plus repair of the fistula and fissure. Before I consented to this, I learned that this is a very painful procedure, with potentially weeks of downtime, weeks of pain meds, possible antibiotics. and high risks of infection and other complications. The whole thing sounded beyond barbaric, just taking a scapel and cutting away tissue in such a sensitive spot, It was amazing to me with all the advances in medicine, hemmorohidectomy is still so painful and debillitating. The thought of this made me sick and I just continued to suffer because i could not fathom such barbarism on my body, so i suffered in silence, continued the home remedies, and just hoped things would get better. Golf was done, every swing was painful. Eventually, I realized that I could not go on like this any further, it was stupid, i was suffering, my family, friends, and co-workers saw me suffering , and it was time to bite the bullet and get surgery. But...there was no way I was going to subject myself to the barbarism that the surgeons I spoke to would impose on me, there had to be a better way and I found it. And this is the reason for this post, I believe many suffer in silence with this affliction, believe me when i say there is a better way.than being carved up and then suffering for weeks or months on end and dealing with valuable down time.

After hours of searching and phone calls, I identified a clinic that uses lasers. It was across the country, I booked a flight and got everything scheduled. At the surgical center. they cut the hemmorhoidal tissue with amazing precsision. The benefit is that adjacent tissue is spared trauma,as the laser cut is so fine and precise. Plus, the laser seals as it cuts, so no need for sutures and the nerves are also sealed, so a whole lot less pain. My surgeon was able to repair the fistula and fissure at the same time. No antibiotics were necessary because of the heat of the laser, I guess it kills off all the bacteria. The surgery was performed under anesthesia, lasted about 45 minutes. I was at the surgicenter at 1pm, back at my hotel room at 4pm. No pain at all, they gave me a shot to numb the area, it lasted all night. They put me on Toradol for 3 days, it worked wonders, they gave me percocet but did not want me on narcotics unless absolutely necessary because they can constipate you I have not even opened the bottle, dont need them. . The next day I got up and walked 2 miles very slowly i must add,, and the next day I went to the gym for a light workout and visitied with family in the area, and the next day I got on the plane and went home. I am playing golf this morning, 8 days post op, and going back to work on Friday, although I probably could have gone back a lot sooner.. I am sore, it is throbbing at times, but can't say I am in true pain. BMs are a bit painful, that is inevitable, but I know that will pass.

I got a feeling a lot of people suffer in silence with this, maybe suffer a lot. I have been told that with the conventional surgery, the cure can be worse than the disease with all the pain and suffering. I can't comment on that, all I can say is that my surgery was a relative cakewalk, and if anyone wants to contact me personally I will be happy to give you the phyisican and the surgical center and you can call them and decide for yourself if this surgery is for you. I am not a physician thats for sure so I am only telling you what worked for me, you have to decide and get advice what will work for you. All I can say is that this laser treatment has exceeded every imaginable expectation for me, and I am able to get on with my life quickly and avoid the pain and suffering of a conventional hemmorhoidectomy.

Why am I writing about this on a golf board?. Because I talked to a lot of guys and gals at my club,friends, and people at work and like I said, many suffer in silence. Do not be ashamed or embarrased, maybe you will be lucky with finding some home remedy, I lost the battle. I hope that others can be spared the pain and suffering I was by seeking out a physician that uses lasers. I can tell you there are few and far between. My MD was excellent, I could not have asked for better care.

The best of luck to those that suffer this terrible affliction, like I said, send me a message for more information. I am not qualified to offer medical advice, but I can refer you to the wonderful people that took care of me.

Have no idea how the golf game will go, playing from the red tees , i am a bit weak from inactivity and a bit sore"down under". . Might be a while trying to take a full swing, gotta let things heal they will in time.. Just being out there again is a blessing, hemmorhoids can take the joy out of golf and just about everything. God bless those that have to deal with this,it can be a livinghell taking the joy out of everything, do your homework, bite the bullet like I did and get it taken care of.

As a side note, if any of you are in the Chattanooga area, give me a shout. Will be there a lot this summer, lets play some golf, I have access to the best venues in town.

• Like 1

I had no idea how many people have dealed with this. I hang out at the range a lot, and we talk about everything, and I was amazed at how many folks told me at some point in their life they have had to deal with hemmorohids and pain and debilitation that went with it. Most people just accept it, or try over the counter remedies and some have luck, but for others it becomes chronic. Doctors can certainly help with mild cases, but there comes a time with advanced cases that a simple office visit won't cut it and surgery is the only answer. It is embarassing, it should not be. People don't want to talk about their private parts, but when you have good friends and acquaintances, you should be able to talk about anything, I can't tell you how I suffered, researching all this and talking to dozens of people, my heart goes out to anyone that has to endure this and I hope my post helps someone now or in the future..

Hammerboy - good effort on posting this, and quite right too. No-one would have an issue with posting on here about an injury to their collarbone, or its treatment, and how it affects their golf. Glad to hear you are making a good recovery. One of my colleagues went through the conventional treatment for a fistula. No fun, and very serious possible consequences which thankfully did not occur in his case. He recovered well and is as fit as the proverbial butcher's dog. Here's hoping you do likewise.

I am a road cyclist and get what are known as "saddle sores" from time to time that suck! So I feel your pain. Not quite a tissue tear or internal hemorrhoids, but inflammation, that can easily get infected and become painful and uncomfortable when sitting down.

Glad to hear things worked out for you bud, hope your game gets back to where it was now that your quality of life has improved.

TMI X 100. If there was an a****** sub - forum probably all my posts plus this thread (some humor needed), but honestly not sure all the detail has much to do with golf. Not that the problem isn't fair game in general.

Genuinely sorry you have the issue. Hope you get better and I'm sure you will. Hope some posters who have shared your issue can reassure or help out. Good luck.

Bro, it could be worse-

At least ya don't have to tuck em in your socks to keep from stepping on em with your spikes.

Soft spikes of not, that would suck!!

Just delay the gluteral fire and you should be fine-

I believe that Monte has a short vid on the move-

I hope that ya get past this issue quickly!!!

Fairways, Greens & Hemorroid Creame 4ever My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Wow. Just wow. This post is up there with the lady saying she plays her best golf while pms'ing.

Anyhow i wish you the best. You say this is a common issue but i've never heard of hemeroids affecting ones golf game.

LMAO, Bro, I just texted Maddie and said the same thing, lol

She texted back, and I've copied and pasted:

"Sweetie, sometimes you can be an inensitive a**. I'm sure that that's very painful."

Women ;)

Nicely Played!!

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

For those of you giving the OP a hard time about this, you've obviously never dealt with something like this or you would be a thousand times more sympathetic. Hammerboy, your openness and honesty about what is naturally a very sensitive issue is appreciated. Glad you had a successful procedure and best of luck getting back out on the course.

For those of you giving the OP a hard time about this, you've obviously never dealt with something like this or you would be a thousand times more sympathetic. Hammerboy, your openness and honesty about what is naturally a very sensitive issue is appreciated. Glad you had a successful procedure and best of luck getting back out on the course.
+100. Takes a lot to make a post like this. Can't say I know anything about this condition but much respect for the op and his openness to help others.

+100. Takes a lot to make a post like this. Can't say I know anything about this condition but much respect for the op and his openness to help others.

Well stated and I agree wholeheartedly.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

A preventative measure is manscaping. Keeping that area free of hair greatly reduces the occurrence of hemmeroids for many people. Also helps reduce embarrassing skid marks. Clean is healthy.

unless you get a ingrown hair, then you have a problem. happened to a friend of mine. not good.

That is called a pilonidal cyst. Ask me how I know...

The pain is absolutely debilitating and the recovery from surgery,like mentioned above, is a nightmare I do not want to endure. Thankfully mine has only recurred once in the last ten years.

Props the OP for posting. These pains in are are serious shyt... all puns intended.

If anyone wants to talk about this further, please contact me and i will give you my phone number and we can talk. I have no vested interest in this other to help others avoid the pain and suffering of traditional colorectal surgery. I certainly cannot give you medical advice, but can share my experience.

It has been a week since my hemmorhoidectomy, plus fissure and fistula repair, I am back to my normal routine. Yes, I am a bit sore, that is about it. The MD wrote me a presscription for Percocet, the bottle has not been opened. I have a tube of Lidocaine cream to apply as needed, that tube has not been opened. I played golf today and am going back to work this week, way ahead of schedule if I had gone with a conventional surgery.

Please do not suffer in silence and please do not be ashamed if you have a rectal or anal condition. You will be tempted to buy over the counter remedies and try everything to ease the condition and pain, maybe you will be lucky, but chances are you will lose as i did. Surgery is sometimes the only option, I cannot tell you to do it my way, but i would certainly suggest you investigate it and I hope others will have the great success i have experienced.

After 1.5 years I'm largely symptom free from my roids. But holy crap, they are uncomfortable. They bleed a little bit when I go now and then but no intense itching like I used to have.

I was in the UK and while eating breakfast and reading the local paper came across an ad for a surgical technique where they snake a wire from your neck down to your bottom to zap the offending veins. Sort of similar as they would do to open up an artery.

OP, do you do anything special to prevent occurrence?

My surgeon said to avoid reoccurrence, to consume at least 30grams of fiber per day.

And no dry wiping, use a moist cloth or baby wipe, but no dry wiping, the friction takes its toll.

Also, at least 8 glasses of water per day.

I had one surgeon tell me that sometimes even when you do everything right, you still can get rhoids, apparently there is a genetic predisposition, not much you can do about it.

Kudos to you for bring the subject up. I'm 32 and just had a colonoscopy the few Lloyd's I have hanging out in the area, internal and external. The good news is its not anything more serious. I've up my fibre intake via Metamucil. I also have a new born at home so we share wipes lol. The unfortunate part is I have to go back and get them removed as the fibre and wipes doesn't seem to be enough for Lioyd to go away on his own. Mine are not uncomfortable for day to day stuff. they just bleed a lot when I go to the washroom... increasing my times significantly.

Glad everything worked out for you and its definitely a lot more common than people think. Everyones just afraid to talk about it. The one thing I encourage is talking to your doctor because some of the symptoms for hemorrhoids can be the same as other very serious illnesses.

Five years ago, I developed some malady, roids, most likely, down there. The intense itching was unbearable at times. Golf and walking was just intolerable. I used a great deal of OTC stuff.

Citrucel is much better than Metamucil. Citrucel doesn't cause digestive gas. A couple tbs in the morning, and good to go. Use baby wipes instead of TP. For healing, generic zinc oxide, diaper rash cream, works better than any stuff I've tried. Use it daily.

For safety, I'd suggest having a doctor's exam to rule out anything serious.

On the lighter side, I had a friend who had the surgery when he was in his 40's. Very painful, he was on sick leave for eight weeks. Apparently, he couldn't work, but he could "suffer" sitting on his inflated ring at a bar drinking all day.

Just an update, continue to do well, with no complications or signs of infection. Back to work, have played several rounds of golf, mowed the lawn. Most of my friends and family cannot believe it.

God knows the complications I might be dealing with no with conventional surgeryplus the pain and antibiotics and long recovery.

The more I talk to poeple, the more I hear about people having problems "down under". Do no be ashamed or embarrassed, and sadly no matter what you do, they might get worse. I still can't believe how easy this laser surgery was, if anyone has any questions, please let me know and I will be happy to talk with you on the phone. Anything to save another decent person a lot of potential suffering and pain.

• 1 year later...

My surgeon said to avoid reoccurrence, to consume at least 30grams of fiber per day.

And no dry wiping, use a moist cloth or baby wipe, but no dry wiping, the friction takes its toll.

Also, at least 8 glasses of water per day.

I had one surgeon tell me that sometimes even when you do everything right, you still can get rhoids, apparently there is a genetic predisposition, not much you can do about it.

Great advice. I recently had the need for this topic and glad to have found it. Thanks.

All seems to be A-Okay again. Keeping the cream and wipes handy though. :)

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Damn. Just damn.

I have some issues. Main thing for me is endless wiping. 4 wipes and then another 2-4 45 minutes later. Mainly more of an inconvenience than anything. If yours are debilitating that I hope you find relief asap. Sounds like you've been hacked to heck by someone that don't know what they're doing. I'd seek advice on the form of consul. You won't be their first case, probably won't be their last. If it ruins life to that level it's was probably avoidable. Good luck at any rate.

With the problem that first caused it I hope you have retained a good medical malpractice lawyer. I guess I am lucky having driven trucks on and off for 40 years I have never had them but it seems to be a by product of the truck driving profession so I am told. Really glad you are getting better and you did have the courage to share on open forum.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

wow op great story and am glad you shared it with us. man that guy who did you colonoscopy should be sued!

anyways thanks for sharing. i had a similar problem but developed from heavy weight lifting. it was more of an

annoyance than pain. lasted 2 months and nothing would get it away.

researched online and what finally cured it was ingesting Braggs apple cider vinegar. it worked wonders that together

with dabbing the exterior hemorrhoids with tissue paper with vinegar worked wonders and also disinfected the wound.

roidds are a part of everyday life and most will get them without ever sharing or talking about them.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade