2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

When Greg Chalmers finished at +1 some EIGHT hours ago, he was actually outside the projected cut line.

He's now T42.

Man alive, what a joke.

How is this a joke? Is it written somewhere that the weather pattern will hold true to form? As in, benign in the am then blustery in the afternoon? Then the following day this pattern flip flops?

I mean, C'MON. There might be some luck with the draw but there's certainly no consistency to it...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the two hour bad weather we had today would still disadvantage those who were out against those who had finished or not started.

Everybody would have been pretty much done before the worst of the weather arrived if they had split tees and started at 6:30 AM their time.

Its after 8PM over there and some guys still have an hour of golf left.

Maybe but next time that two hours could be 9am . It's Scotland believe me the weather is unpredictable and at some point some will be lucky and unlucky no matter what time you tee off. Even finishing 1 hr ahead could be worth a few shots. It's always been that way yet all the great champions of golf have managed to ride their luck and win.

I totally understand. Im not saying theres a way to completely avoid the luck of the draw.

My point is that you can greatly reduce the "luck" factor with regards to weather by doing split tees. And then if bad weather does come, more players are actually affected by it because more players are on the course, or if the weather comes late in the day like today, the guys are already done.

I mean, because of when this weather hit, the tournament was damaged greatly simply because conditions became so bad that nobody could score. And none of the players out there this afternoon/tonight were able to take advantage of the pristine conditions yesterday...they played in the morning, when the wind actually blew a bit as well.

Let's change to a shotgun start, that should be fair? Might need to reduce the field size a bit.. turn it into an invitational. Change the name to The Invitational Championship. Has a nice ring...

One thing that could (and should) be done is playing off split tees in the first two rounds. Everyone then tees off within a four or five hour window, instead of someone teeing off at 6:30 AM and the last guy going off 10 hours later.

I'm a traditionalist but over the last few years I've finally come around to this. The USGA went to split tees in 2002 (admittedly they were dealing with certain factors which the R&A really don't have to worry about) and the R&A should do the same in order to make it a better championship.

I

I take your point, but it's logistically almost impossible on old Links tracks which are often 'out and back' layouts, such as The Old Course, Troon etc. Fair point though, it would help with the whiners.

Yeah, wanting to see a better, fairer (note I didn't say fair) tournament that does the best job identifying the golfer playing the best that week is "whining".

Unless you can come up with a logistically sound alternative (which you should take to the R&A by the way), then yes moaning about the weather and what it can do to an outside sport like Golf, does indeed, come across as whining like an over pampered baby. Sorry but maybe people who think weather should not play a part in an outdoor sport should think about an indoor sport where the vagaries of the weather do not play a part.

The thing is, that I do understand that you probably have little or no experience of Links Golf in the UK, but over here the game is not just a physical sport, it's a mental one too, and it's very easy to let this kind of weather get in your head too much and subsequently effect your game, that's the beauty of the game over here, maybe it's a different sport where you are, but I know which one I prefer to play, and I think I know which one you'd prefer. The other option of course, would be to simply turn the TV off if it's upsetting you this much?

How is this a joke? Is it written somewhere that the weather pattern will hold true to form? As in, benign in the am then blustery in the afternoon? Then the following day this pattern flip flops?

I mean, C'MON. There might be some luck with the draw but there's certainly no consistency to it...

Again, more reason to have split tees in the first two rounds.

There's no reason to have tee times 10+ hours apart in the first two rounds of a major championship. None. Half the field in this tournament has no chance to win simply because of the tee time they had today, and it actually could have been avoided.

Here is a fact to consider. We don't have a climate here in the UK, we have weather, and we don't know for more than one or two days ahead what that weather may be.

At the Memorial, which was interrupted by electrical activity, everyone knew that the disruptions would occur, because they do. In Asia you can predict the time the rain will arrive. PGA tour events are often disrupted by predictable electrical activity.

We have a weather forecast for tomorrow which says fine but windy. Will it be? Who knows.Just don't try to plan anything around a our weather.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 UST Recoil F4

Callaway Big Bertha B21 3w RCH Stiff

Mizuno ST200 18* 5w UST Recoil F4

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 3i Speeder Stiff

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T24 50 DG Spinner
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

And the two hour bad weather we had today would still disadvantage those who were out against those who had finished or not started.

Everybody would have been pretty much done before the worst of the weather arrived if they had split tees and started at 6:30 AM their time.

Its after 8PM over there and some guys still have an hour of golf left.

Maybe but next time that two hours could be 9am . It's Scotland believe me the weather is unpredictable and at some point some will be lucky and unlucky no matter what time you tee off. Even finishing 1 hr ahead could be worth a few shots. It's always been that way yet all the great champions of golf have managed to ride their luck and win.

I totally understand. Im not saying theres a way to completely avoid the luck of the draw.

My point is that you can greatly reduce the "luck" factor with regards to weather by doing split tees. And then if bad weather does come, more players are actually affected by it because more players are on the course, or if the weather comes late in the day like today, the guys are already done.

I mean, because of when this weather hit, the tournament was damaged greatly simply because conditions became so bad that nobody could score. And none of the players out there this afternoon/tonight were able to take advantage of the pristine conditions yesterday...they played in the morning, when the wind actually blew a bit as well.

Some years it may help but other years it would make it worse as three quarters of field could be affected if it comes after a quarter of field are home.. You are trying to predict the unpredictable.

From what I've seen it's what you do best.

Seriously, only in the bizarre world of a golfwrx message board is having a reasoned discussion about making a great golf tournament better "whining".

It becomes 'whining' when the discussion ceases to be reasoned.

It hasn't reached that point (at least wrt myself and JaNelson). Now as for a few of those who are defending the status quo (like yourself), yeah, I'd agree there's not much "reason" coming from them...

Here is a fact to consider. We don't have a climate here in the UK, we have weather, and we don't know for more than one or two days ahead what that weather may be.

At the Memorial, which was interrupted by electrical activity, everyone knew that the disruptions would occur, because they do. In Asia you can predict the time the rain will arrive. PGA tour events are often disrupted by predictable electrical activity.

We have a weather forecast for tomorrow which says fine but windy. Will it be? Who knows.Just don't try to plan anything around a our weather.

Them 'Golfing Gods'.

If the're with you, the're with you.

If not, not.

Seriously, only in the bizarre world of a golfwrx message board is having a reasoned discussion about making a great golf tournament better "whining".

It hasn't reached that point (at least wrt myself and JaNelson). Now as for a few of those who are defending the status quo (like yourself), yeah, I'd agree there's not much "reason" coming from them...

That kind of machination only shows to me that you have nothing more to add. Therefore, promise me one thing this weekend? Do not put the Golf on TV, go mow the lawn in the yard, as apart from not understanding that the weather in Golf is as much of a factor to any Golfer (including tournament golf, as it cannot and should not be distinguished), as whether a putt breaks 3 inches or 4 inches. Factoring in the weather and not letting it get into your head (as it clearly is with you) is what makes the winner of The Open Championship so special, and the player that accepts it, embraces it, will do well. Players who like you, look too much into it, and look at things like moaning about the draw being unfair will fail, as has your argument.

The amount to which the weather is factored in, will and should always differ from day to day and even hour to hour in some circumstances. Nothing wrong with that. All part of the game as I know it. If you feel that having to factor in the weather with that level of frequency is in some way unfair, then stay in your little bubble, do not come to Scotland as you would hate it, but it is the home of Golf, and the game was invented in these changeable conditions. However, they do mow the fairways for us, as they do the Teeing grounds, and the Greens are even tightly mown for you, they even give you yardage books and you can even get a drink and a bite to eat after you've finished hacking round in the 'bad' weather. So it's not all doom and gloom! Unfortunately they will not pay you thousands of $$$ for playing in these conditions as they do the Tour Pro, but hey ho! :taunt:

That kind of machination only shows to me that you have nothing more to add. Therefore, promise me one thing this weekend? Do not put the Golf on TV, go mow the lawn in the yard, as apart from not understanding that the weather in Golf is as much of a factor to any Golfer (including tournament golf, as it cannot and should not be distinguished), as whether a putt breaks 3 inches or 4 inches. Factoring in the weather and not letting it get into your head (as it clearly is with you) is what makes the winner of The Open Championship so special, and the player that accepts it, embraces it, will do well. Players who like you, look too much into it, and look at things like moaning about the draw being unfair will fail, as has your argument.

The amount to which the weather is factored in, will and should always differ from day to day and even hour to hour in some circumstances. Nothing wrong with that. All part of the game as I know it. If you feel that having to factor in the weather with that level of frequency is in some way unfair, then stay in your little bubble, do not come to Scotland as you would hate it, but it is the home of Golf, and the game was invented in these changeable conditions. However, they do mow the fairways for us, as they do the Teeing grounds, and the Greens are even tightly mown for you, they even give you yardage books and you can even get a drink and a bite to eat after you've finished hacking round in the 'bad' weather. So it's not all doom and gloom! Unfortunately they will not pay you thousands of $$$ for playing in these conditions as they do the Tour Pro, but hey ho! :taunt:

Oh dear, this off topic rant makes it clear that you are having a hard time understanding the reasoned discussion that myself, JaNelson and a few others are having here...

I reckon you guys would argue about the colour of orange juice.

I dont know about the color, but you suffer from brain injury if you drink pulp free. :taunt:

oh and you spelled color wrong. haha

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

No, I get your rant 100%.....it is you that are having a hard time understanding the game of Golf (apologies if you're new to the game), you are whining about the 'unfairness' that can come with the Open Championship draw. All I'm saying is....try get over it and enjoy the spectacle. It's Championship Links Golf, and it's perfectly fair as no-one can or should ever try to prejudge the weather when the draw is made. The weather does and should play a part as it's an outdoor sport. Factor it in at any given time, and you'll be fine, fail to factor it in and let the 'unfairness' get into your head, and you'll fail. That's how Golf is played over here. End of story really. But as I said, I'm sure that the R&A would welcome any suggestions of how to combat your discourse. But really, if it upsets you so much, then don't watch it. Simple. Now, if Mrt99 has nothing more positive to add, can we get on please.

No, I get your rant 100%.....it is you that are having a hard time understanding the game of Golf (apologies if you're new to the game), you are whining about the 'unfairness' that can come with the Open Championship draw. All I'm saying is....try get over it and enjoy the spectacle. It's Championship Links Golf, and it's perfectly fair as no-one can or should ever try to prejudge the weather when the draw is made. The weather does and should play a part as it's an outdoor sport. Factor it in at any given time, and you'll be fine, fail to factor it in and let the 'unfairness' get into your head, and you'll fail. That's how Golf is played over here. End of story really. But as I said, I'm sure that the R&A would welcome any suggestions of how to combat your discourse. But really, if it upsets you so much, then don't watch it. Simple. Now, if Mrt99 has nothing more positive to add, can we get on please.

They want green painted divots. And taped birdsong.

They want green painted divots. And taped birdsong.

Lol. Does anyone know what time the tee times are for tomorrow? I need to check the weather! :swoon:

You're not very bright, are you? The only one ranting and whining here is you. And JaNelson has provided a suggestion (split tees) that would improve things (interestingly enough a former PGA Tour player (and current Fox commentator) advocated for the same thing on twitter this afternoon).

https://twitter.com/Steve_Flesch/with_replies

Billy Ho rounds of 67 and 85.

Makes sense.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/billy-horschels-backwards-hat-causes-twitter-to-lose-its-mind

Billy Horschel's backwards hat causes Twitter to lose its mind

The commotion began at the end of the Open Championship's second round. Horschel was in the final wave of groups, and wasn't finishing on a high note: After firing a four-under 67 Thursday, Horschel was 12 over through 14 holes at Troon, which included a double-triple-double stretch on the back nine. On the final hole, Horschel ditched his rain gear, turned his hat backwards and played the 18th as such:

(He should have had some Titos and called it a day)

You're not very bright, are you? The only one ranting and whining here is you. And JaNelson has provided a suggestion (split tees) that would improve things (interestingly enough a former PGA Tour player (and current Fox commentator) advocated for the same thing on twitter this afternoon).

You're insults show you're getting rattled. As I have already said previously, split tees will not work on so many 'out and back' old Links Courses that are on the Open Rota. Imagine the logistics of having to ferry half the field all day nearly to Prestwick, through the Course and spectators to get to the 10th Tee. Or getting half the field right out nearly 2 miles on The Old Course to the Eden Estuary, through all the spectators all day, and nearly 2 miles from the practice facilities. It's laughable your ignorance of the Courses over here mate!