Lowest Spinning Driver

Matchplay10033

Cant do much golf until my elbow heals up but might as well figure out some new equipment. My Titleist is a spin machine on trackman... around 4000 rpm even when I hit it with somewhat of a positive angle of attack it is still in the 3000's. spin has always haunted me... even since my Junior golfing days. I would carry a drive 280-290 and have the ball bounce back or get very little roll. I was curious what are some of the lowest spinning drivers out there ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone that hits the ball as far as you do I'd be focusing on accuracy, not distance/spin. Low spin heads have a low MOI so they are less forgiving. The tradeoff is not beneficial for most people unless they hit tons of fairways.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

For someone that hits the ball as far as you do I'd be focusing on accuracy, not distance/spin. Low spin heads have a low MOI so they are less forgiving. The tradeoff is not beneficial for most people unless they hit tons of fairways.

True... Hitting the fairway is hard enough with my current driver ! I will revisit this when I can pick a side of a fairway and hit to that !!! Maybe my next life lol I'm getting greedy

Balance of forgiveness and lower spin is the Ping G LS - pair it up with the right shaft and it is money.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Taylormade M1 and Cobra f6+ have the possibility to be adjusted with the CG very close to the face (low spin) or all the way to the back (M1 with both weights on the back track) for more forgiveness and spin if all else fails.

The King LTD also is forgiving and will knock some spin off. That being said, when you spin a drive in the 4000 range, it's most likely a swing flaw. Hard to bring that number drastically down unless you correct that flaw... Negative AOA?

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

Taylormade M1 and Cobra f6+ have the possibility to be adjusted with the CG very close to the face (low spin) or all the way to the back (M1 with both weights on the back track) for more forgiveness and spin if all else fails.

The King LTD also is forgiving and will knock some spin off. That being said, when you spin a drive in the 4000 range, it's most likely a swing flaw. Hard to bring that number drastically down unless you correct that flaw... Negative AOA?

Sub Zero has CG below the neutral axis and it's CG is the furtherst forward by a wide margin even over the M1 430. Doesn't get much lower spinning then the SZ IMO, I love mine especially paired with the Agera.

M1 and Cobra LTD, Nike Vapor Flex are all good low spin options as well.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

If you are in the fairway and indeed that long off the T, move on to another part of the game to spend money on. Your golden. Id take those numbers if I was getting it out there that far. Leaving yards on the table? Perhaps, but dont be greedy (you said it). I like to hit a fade off the T. Do I give up a few yards over a draw? Sure, but I can control the fade mostly...the draw has a mind of its own at times and my scores stink when we dont get along.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I agree, but bringing down that spin number a little bit will help overall ball flight. I use to be the high spin player and had no problem hitting fairways on perfectly calm days, but due to my spin number the second I even saw a 5mph breeze my driver would go away because the wind exponentially increases spin in any direction.

Plenty of threads on this but to summarize....

* shaft is just as important as driver head in reducing spin

Older

SLDR

Bio Cell+

G30 LST

815 DBD

M1

Cally Sub Zero

G LST

King Pro

Lowest ever for me.... j33r 460

super old school

Shaft is important but mainly the appropriate weight and flex. If you don't have a bunch of money to upgrade the shaft, a heavier and stiffer shaft will help bring down ball flight. At the same time, these head recommendations are pretty good. Bio Cell+ was a spin killer and was more forgiving that you would think. I would stay away from the 815 DBD and the Sub Zero, 815 DBD offered no forgiveness and the sub zero is the same story. G30 LST would be fantastic!

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

4000 spin is a swing issue, not equipment.

That's incorrect. I tested drivers that produce insane amount of spin for me (*around 4000) and I have a consistent swing and play a driver now where I get around 2200. This was on trackman btw during a fitting. I see a lot of players that have no idea what they are playing and either need a lot more spin and launch or a big reduction in both.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

That's incorrect. I tested drivers that produce insane amount of spin for me (*around 4000) and I have a consistent swing and play a driver now where I get around 2200. This was on trackman btw during a fitting. I see a lot of players that have no idea what they are playing and either need a lot more spin and launch or a big reduction in both.

That's what was frustrating with this current driver. I have tried certain adjustments and even when I catch one on the upswing and hit it solid it is not going anywhere near where it should. The last round I played I felt like I was killing the ball. I would get a huge carry into the fairway and almost no roll. My buddy was landing his drives 40-50 yards behind mine and some of them would roll past me.

Bought SLDR 9.5 in 2012, since bought and sold M1 & r15; both added spin for me. SLDR set at 11 with Project X7C3 Tour Issue and ProV1x are about as low spin as it gets.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

That's what was frustrating with this current driver. I have tried certain adjustments and even when I catch one on the upswing and hit it solid it is not going anywhere near where it should. The last round I played I felt like I was killing the ball. I would get a huge carry into the fairway and almost no roll. My buddy was landing his drives 40-50 yards behind mine and some of them would roll past me.

Put one of those Tensei Pro White Protos in your driver if your spin is that excessive. You might as well start with the biggest spin killer you can get your hands on. The 80 is the same shaft Gary Woodland plays.

I'd love to see the trackman data on that "consistent" swing.

J13 has a very high SS (and is quite a good golfer from what I remember reading in the infamous Callaway Carlsbad fitting thread...)

At his swing speed, with a high spinning head paired with a shaft that won't properly deliver the club head at impact, for him... Maybe high 3000's is plausible.

But for someone with average or above average SS to spin the ball in the 4000's, it is most likely caused by a swing issue.

That being said, we don't know much about the OP's swing numbers, so...

TM Lethal

Cobra LTD is insanely low spinning, believe it or not I had a covert 2.0 that I ballooned to around 5200 rpm of spin! I'd carry 240 and have it bounce back. I got fit into a lower lofted 7.5 deg 915 D3 with fujikura speeder tour spec and we got it down to 2100 rpm and 280 distance on well struck shots. I also don't hit down on the golf ball, rather up to the tune of +7 AOA. The loft and shaft might work, or just the shaft. Basically what I'm saying is try to get fit for a shaft, it'll help as much as the head.

Going to have to agree here, while I dont have the Carry numbers OP has, there are some major trade offs....

Also going to agree here, but It depends...

Based on the the 280-290 Carry if this is really true, OP should have a SS about 110-115, but that is with respect to optimal launches, if he indeed has 4000rpms of spin, he could be more than likely to have a 120+mph to just be able to get that carry......

Honestly..... I have seen my share of crazy numbers on this Website....and many are so over bloated its not even funny... Even I had some over bloated numbers and the harsh reality....... of trackman vs laser vs on the course numbers...

1) Spin is caused more often by a swing not just a head/club, a large amount of spin could be contributed to the AoA, Spin Loft, Loft of Club and Club head design and shaft. So ruling each one of those out one at a time can narrow your issue

2) From the sound of it you are getting ballooning and some major decent issue.... as you state that the drives can come back in other words its hitting the peak and falling back instead of a boring flight. (spin loft and to much spin)

Personally I would say get on an LM and get us some real numbers..... Swing speed, Vertical Launch, Spin & AoA and also club specs..... this will help narrow it down. I mean if you are 120+mph SS using a Jetspeed Driver with a regular 55 gram shaft, well you got all kinds of things going...

But if you got a 120+mph swing with an M1, with a Black Tie 8M3 XXstiff than it could be a swing issue rather than a club......

Oh and one last thing..... be honest with yourself....... I lied to myself so many times, Thinking I hit the ball to high, Spun the ball to much had a 110 swing speed, drover the ball 280 yards..... yeah no.........non of those things were true...

The only way to really optimize is to accept your real consistent numbers not your BEST numbers and go from there......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

J13 has a very high SS (and is quite a good golfer from what I remember reading in the infamous Callaway Carlsbad fitting thread...)

At his swing speed, with a high spinning head paired with a shaft that won't properly deliver the club head at impact, for him... Maybe high 3000's is plausible.

But for someone with average or above average SS to spin the ball in the 4000's, it is most likely caused by a swing issue.

That being said, we don't know much about the OP's swing numbers, so...

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I would really love to see solid trackman data before/after equipment change that resulted in that much difference. Either the strike/swing varied wildly or the 4000rpm driver was something absurd.

Exactice, I hit on trackman for the first time two weeks ago. I was in the upper 120's lower 130's. I have always been blessed/cursed with great speed. I gave long-drive a shot about 10 years ago I was fast but not fast enough to get by with my poor ball striking. My numbers were higher back then but i was using that blue swing speed radar. The pro 2 weeks ago was not concerned with my AoA but he was concerned with my ball striking and spin numbers. I honestly do not care about hitting the ball 350-360 anymore but I would like some roll out ! When I am playing decent courses I will keep my Titleist in the bag since I can control it but I do play a lot of courses where I can get away with a low spinning driver. So I was looking for opinions on what they are.

Exactice, I hit on trackman for the first time two weeks ago. I was in the upper 120's lower 130's. I have always been blessed/cursed with great speed. I gave long-drive a shot about 10 years ago I was fast but not fast enough to get by with my poor ball striking. My numbers were higher back then but i was using that blue swing speed radar. The pro 2 weeks ago was not concerned with my AoA but he was concerned with my ball striking and spin numbers. I honestly do not care about hitting the ball 350-360 anymore but I would like some roll out ! When I am playing decent courses I will keep my Titleist in the bag since I can control it but I do play a lot of courses where I can get away with a low spinning driver. So I was looking for opinions on what they are.

That's great insights! That's also quite a swing speed! Misses at such swing speed are always worse than they would be for the average golfer.

The Hazardus shaft is offered at no extra cost with the King LTD (you'll need the pro for the lower loft settings) and the F6+ pro (also lower loft settings). The M1 and XR subzero are worth a look if you can find a shaft for them. Find a demo day and go try as many as you can!

Good luck!

TM Lethal

4K of spin is not a head issue...it's a failure to make proper contact on the face issue. Doesn't matter if you are + or - AoA, heads and shafts themselves do not produce that much spin on their own for the given head loft. It's a contact issue, or a combination of swing flaw and contact issue. And if your contact is bad, a lower spinning head is the last thing you want.

There's good reason why tour pros and long drivers don't produce those spin numbers, and no, it isn't due to AoA.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3