2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Anyone still playing Adams irons?

Stonewalled

How do the CMB's stack up for forgiveness compared to other sets? I still use r7 TP's which I love because they are very forgiving and have a sleek look, long blade length. The CMB has a very similar profile with less offset which I like, but if I will be losing out on mishits I don't think I'd want to switch

R7 TPs were very good. CMBs are better IMO. Softer, smaller blade length and probably more forgiving too because of the Tungsten. The stock C-taper shafts, well... It's a love or hate situation. Some people only swear by them, others don't want to have anything to do with them! I, for myself, love them.

IMO, the XTD forged are a tad more forgiving than the CMBs and about 1/2 club longer for me because of the thinner face inserts. CMBs feel a little better and are drop dead gorgeous. The XTDs are... Just gorgeous.

I've only seen the 6 iron in the XTD set as a demo club in my local shop. Wasn't a fan of the topline IIRC. Looked my blocky whereas the CMB is rounded off and looks smaller

Would need to see them side by side but I played CMBs and now bag the XTDs and they are very similar in size and shape. Blade like topline on both. Are you sure you're talking about the XTD forged irons and not the XTD or XTD tour?

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

I started golf with something called Adams Ovation. Moved into single digits with the CB3s. Now have both the XTD Tours and the Forged as backups. Also flirted with the MB2s and the A12 pros for a couple of months. Great irons.

The XTD series will probably end up being Adams' last great hurrah.

I couldn't get my eye's around the XTD after the TM take over. They looked rushed to production and bulky.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I started golf with something called Adams Ovation. Moved into single digits with the CB3s. Now have both the XTD Tours and the Forged as backups. Also flirted with the MB2s and the A12 pros for a couple of months. Great irons.

I couldn't get my eye's around the XTD after the TM take over. They looked rushed to production and bulky.

Wasn't that the point though. XTD was an SGI, XTD Tour was a GI and XTD Forged was a player's combo MB/CB set.

Wasn't that the point though. XTD was an SGI, XTD Tour was a GI and XTD Forged was a player's combo MB/CB set.

I came up with the theory that T M management sat across the table from Adams designers and said something along the lines of " We want you to design a iron that appeals to the 30 handicapper and doesn't threaten our current line of releases" And snickered as they left the meeting.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I came up with the theory that T M management sat across the table from Adams designers and said something along the lines of " We want you to design a iron that appeals to the 30 handicapper and doesn't threaten our current line of releases" And snickered as they left the meeting.

LOL, I can't say I wouldn't believe that. But if that is the case, then they really snuck one behind their back with the XTD Forged. The XTD Forged can compete with (and IMO beat) their premium offering at the time (believe it was the '14 TP MB/MC/CB).

XTD forged with the RIP Tour Graphite shafts. They bumped Apex 2014 with Recoils in my bag. If you can find a set of XTD Forged with the RIP shafts- go for it!!

I've now had three different sets with different shafts. Started with stiff ctapers, went to stiff kbs tours and the final set I'm sticking with has the rip tours in regular. It's crazy how stiff they feel.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that this is exactly what happened.

• 1 month later...

I got to this thread because I finally picked up a set of Pro Black MB's on eBay....pretty excited about it. I've always wanted a set and as soon as I put in my search, a set popped up at the right price for once. I stabbed them immediately. I'll update with photos when they arrive...hopefully, they're in as good condition as they appeared to be in the listing.

I got to this thread because I finally picked up a set of Pro Black MB's on eBay....pretty excited about it. I've always wanted a set and as soon as I put in my search, a set popped up at the right price for once. I stabbed them immediately. I'll update with photos when they arrive...hopefully, they're in as good condition as they appeared to be in the listing.

Still Play a set of Adams Pro Black MBs. They are fantastic irons you will not be disappointed!!!!

Playing the CMBs with the C-Tapers. Rally good combo of looks, performance, and price.

TaylorMade Stealth 9* | PX HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70g 6.5

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 3W | Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

Titleist TSi3 Hybrid 18* & 20* (lofted to 22*) | PX HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 80g 6.0

Titleist T200 5-GW | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Titleist Vokey SM8 50* (Bent to 51*) | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Callaway PM Grind 58*

EVNROLL ER2 34" | Chromesoft X LS

I'm still "experimenting" with some AP2's, buy I can hear my Pro Black MB/CB1 combo set calling me from the garage. I'm not feeling the "forgiveness" of the AP2's, and the difference in feel is night-and-day. Got a nice set of CMB's looking for a chance to play too.

When you look at the number and variety of quality sets of irons mentioned in this thread, it really makes you wish Adams was still around. Where are their iron designers now?

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I'm still "experimenting" with some AP2's, buy I can hear my Pro Black MB/CB1 combo set calling me from the garage. I'm not feeling the "forgiveness" of the AP2's, and the difference in feel is night-and-day. Got a nice set of CMB's looking for a chance to play too.

When you look at the number and variety of quality sets of irons mentioned in this thread, it really makes you wish Adams was still around. Where are their iron designers now?

Callaway, Taylormade and one guy at Wilson.

I have been experimenting with 712 Ap2s since the weather in Ohio has changed. I was at the range today and immediately came home and switched back to the pro black mb/cb1 combo. I shoot my lowest scores with these. The AP2s will have to wait. Hope all is well.

Nate

XTD Forged 5-P for me. Left them for awhile this year but solidly in the bag. Not looking at irons this Black Friday, highly unusual for me.

Same here. Xtd forged 4-P. Sold them and went to a cf16 combo set but I went back to them. Maybe looking at z765/795 or Jpx 900 tours. But this time, I'm keeping these xtd because it wouldn't surprise me one bit if I liked them just as much

I have been experimenting with 712 Ap2s since the weather in Ohio has changed. I was at the range today and immediately came home and switched back to the pro black mb/cb1 combo. I shoot my lowest scores with these. The AP2s will have to wait. Hope all is well.

Nate

I can't believe someone else has an Adams CB1/Pro Black MB combo set, and is experimenting with AP2 712's at the same time I am. Like you, I just went back to my CB1/MB1 combo set, and enjoyed them very much this weekend. But I still have a minty set of CMB's that need a full and fair evaluation period.

Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

After an extended trial with the AP2's, I briefly went back to my CB1/Pro Black MB combo set, and remembered why I love them so much. Then I couldn't resist trying the CMB's that I have never really given a fair shake because I picked them up at the same time as the AP2's (because I got both for prices I couldn't refuse).

I think the CMBs will now get an extended trial. They look sweet, feel sweet, and I just hit them better than the AP2's.

Odyssey DXF Doublewide

The only irons which compare to adams irons are cobra, I've been an avid adams fan for many years and over the last 3 months switched to Ap2's, these were like a bag full of 8 irons so they had to go, then went to mizuno jpx 900 tours, now these were laughable, like a bag full of 9 irons so went back to something I know which was cobra, bought a full set of King forged CB irons not the combo set and boom, everything back to normal.

What do the CMBs compare to forgiveness wise? I feel like, as an inconsistent ballstriker, i might be giving up a lot compared to my r7 TPs?

I think forgiveness is an over-rated quality for irons, because it means different things to different people. Some need forgiveness against losing distance on off-center strikes, some need forgiveness in terms of turf interaction on steep swings, some have trouble elevating the ball, so forgiving means low, back COG, etc.

All of that being said, the CMBs are not "hard to hit" like an old set of narrow-soled, low-bounce, sharp leading edge 1960's or 1970's blades. They have a modern sole design (decent amount of bounce, some camber, and a relatively blunt leading edge). They also have tungsten weights out towards the toe, to move the sweet spot away from the heel a bit, and to lower the COG. Being a mediocre ball striker, I find them to be as easy to hit as anything. Certainly as "forgiving" as my AP2 712's.

Odyssey DXF Doublewide

What do the CMBs compare to forgiveness wise? I feel like, as an inconsistent ballstriker, i might be giving up a lot compared to my r7 TPs?

I think forgiveness is an over-rated quality for irons, because it means different things to different people. Some need forgiveness against losing distance on off-center strikes, some need forgiveness in terms of turf interaction on steep swings, some have trouble elevating the ball, so forgiving means low, back COG, etc.

All of that being said, the CMBs are not "hard to hit" like an old set of narrow-soled, low-bounce, sharp leading edge 1960's or 1970's blades. They have a modern sole design (decent amount of bounce, some camber, and a relatively blunt leading edge). They also have tungsten weights out towards the toe, to move the sweet spot away from the heel a bit, and to lower the COG. Being a mediocre ball striker, I find them to be as easy to hit as anything. Certainly as "forgiving" as my AP2 712's.

I hit the ball high, long, and straight lol. I just struggle with lateral misses, mostly towards the heel. I wonder if that tungsten on the toe actually hurts me

• 11 months later...

I know this thread is at least a year old but I just put back into play my MB2s and bought a set of CC1 proto heads (basically A12s) to mix the set. I've played or demo'd all the AP2s, Callaways, most mizunos, have a set of Srixon Z965s and LOVE these MB2s! Easiest "blade" I've ever hit. I'm only looking to swap out the 4 and 5 for the CC1 because I am a nut case.