Wilson FG Tour V6 Irons: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so this is my first ever post on this website. I went to a local PGA Superstore yesterday in hopes to hit the new Ping i200's. When i went there i noticed that the Wilson V6's were on the display rack. I asked if I could hit them and they gave me one hour to compare them to other irons on the market. I compared them to of course the AP2's and my current Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 irons. I must say i was surprised! The V6's actually are more compact and look to be thinner at address. the sole was thin as well, but i think the AP2 was slightly thinner. When i was using the simulator (i only hit 7 irons) the V6 was EASILY 10+ yards further with all 3 irons having the same spin numbers. The V6's also launched higher too and it sounds great when making great impact. I definitely recommend this for at least on try. I may be trading in my Hogans for these V6's because they look better than the AP2's as well...

Okay so this is my first ever post on this website. I went to a local PGA Superstore yesterday in hopes to hit the new Ping i200's. When i went there i noticed that the Wilson V6's were on the display rack. I asked if I could hit them and they gave me one hour to compare them to other irons on the market. I compared them to of course the AP2's and my current Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 irons. I must say i was surprised! The V6's actually are more compact and look to be thinner at address. the sole was thin as well, but i think the AP2 was slightly thinner. When i was using the simulator (i only hit 7 irons) the V6 was EASILY 10+ yards further with all 3 irons having the same spin numbers. The V6's also launched higher too and it sounds great when making great impact. I definitely recommend this for at least on try. I may be trading in my Hogans for these V6's because they look better than the AP2's as well...

WELCOME ABOARD! I'm a lefty but work P/T at a SS and noticed these also...... I could only compare size and general aesthetics of some of the contenders and the V6 won handily! Only the 716cb came close and my thoughts are the V6's slightly more forgiving. Can't wait to hit them.

WELCOME ABOARD! I'm a lefty but work P/T at a SS and noticed these also...... I could only compare size and general aesthetics of some of the contenders and the V6 won handily! Only the 716cb came close and my thoughts are the V6's slightly more forgiving. Can't wait to hit them.

Have you guys compared these to the V4 they replaced? Can you notice a difference? It's really hard to even find much of a review or anyone that's tried these things... I guess Rick Sheils and Mark Crossfield won't be reviewing either? I don't depend on what they say but it is nice to hear the sound the ball makes coming off the club and see what they say about them in a process of looking for gear. I must say they appear to look fantastic. I bet if you put something on the back to cover up what the name was and handed these and AP2 to someone, these would win out about every time if they look similar to V4 at address???

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Have you guys compared these to the V4 they replaced? Can you notice a difference? It's really hard to even find much of a review or anyone that's tried these things... I guess Rick Sheils and Mark Crossfield won't be reviewing either? I don't depend on what they say but it is nice to hear the sound the ball makes coming off the club and see what they say about them in a process of looking for gear. I must say they appear to look fantastic. I bet if you put something on the back to cover up what the name was and handed these and AP2 to someone, these would win out about every time if they look similar to V4 at address???

Okay so i did compare them to the V4's. The V6's are SSSOOO much nicer looking in the bag and at address. They look like they have less cavity and the top line is thin. They seem to be the same compact wise. As far as the AP2 comparison, i will let you know Sunday when i hit them again. I hit the AP2's several times and never liked them, even though i want to because i like Spieth. The V6;s make an excellent sound, when you pure it you can almost feel it taking off like a rocket and the sound is loud but pure. Kind of like hitting a Ping i25 but softer feeling. If i hit these good again, I will honestly get them. They were so good that is made me create an account and comment on them...

Okay so i did compare them to the V4's. The V6's are SSSOOO much nicer looking in the bag and at address. They look like they have less cavity and the top line is thin. They seem to be the same compact wise. As far as the AP2 comparison, i will let you know Sunday when i hit them again. I hit the AP2's several times and never liked them, even though i want to because i like Spieth. The V6;s make an excellent sound, when you pure it you can almost feel it taking off like a rocket and the sound is loud but pure. Kind of like hitting a Ping i25 but softer feeling. If i hit these good again, I will honestly get them. They were so good that is made me create an account and comment on them...

I'm excited to try them. I love the look and have the V4 so if these look even better it'll almost be hard to believe. Oh and I love the Ping i25! I'm a ping guy. I'm between the i200 and these. Heck may buy both!

They need to get on board with shaft upgrade costs though.

For Project X = $29, for Project X LZ = $36 per shaft.

Also Shiels and Crossfield will not review these. Rick said Wilson does not reply to him when he requests to demo their gear. YouTube Aussie Golf reviews. They just posted a review of these not too long ago.

Yes i want these or the i200's... but the new i200's did not have the spin numbers i want. I would love to hit a 7 iron 170, but why would I if it rolls off the green every time? or i can hit the V6 160 and they stick on the greens. That was my mistake with the Mizuno JPX 850 forged. I crushed them, but they did not hold on greens. That is why I own the Hogan Ft Worth 15 irons, less distance but they stick on the greens and are more consistent. You see Shiels getting gaps in every i200 club he hits. I would want consistency and better spin numbers. Added distance is nice and right now the V6's are giving me all 3 of those.

Okay sorry for not posting any pictures, I was pressed for time today at the PGA store because I had to make sure I was at home in time for the Falcons game! Anyways, i hit the V6's again and brought in my current Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 7 iron (35 degree). I first compared the looks, and amazingly the V6 was a smaller club, thinner top line and thinner sole. It really surprised me!!! So I hit the Hogans, V6's, Ping i200's and Ping iBlade. Let me go ahead and say I was extremely disappointed in the Ping i200's. I wanted to like them so bad but they did not perform at all. The iBlades were so much better but came in 3rd place. The Hogans were definitely second, but the V6's were being hit so much straighter, higher (like 10 feet higher) and further. Plus they sounded and felt better too. This takes into effect that the V6's haven't been fit to me yet either, as I usually have my clubs bent 2 degree upright. Honestly, I will be getting the V6's... they were so much better than any club and you should try them. Plus they look better than blades.

Okay sorry for not posting any pictures, I was pressed for time today at the PGA store because I had to make sure I was at home in time for the Falcons game! Anyways, i hit the V6's again and brought in my current Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 7 iron (35 degree). I first compared the looks, and amazingly the V6 was a smaller club, thinner top line and thinner sole. It really surprised me!!! So I hit the Hogans, V6's, Ping i200's and Ping iBlade. Let me go ahead and say I was extremely disappointed in the Ping i200's. I wanted to like them so bad but they did not perform at all. The iBlades were so much better but came in 3rd place. The Hogans were definitely second, but the V6's were being hit so much straighter, higher (like 10 feet higher) and further. Plus they sounded and felt better too. This takes into effect that the V6's haven't been fit to me yet either, as I usually have my clubs bent 2 degree upright. Honestly, I will be getting the V6's... they were so much better than any club and you should try them. Plus they look better than blades.

Now the problem is where will you be getting fit for these? Good luck finding a place. I can't wait to try them out!

This was stock amt right?

This was stock amt right?

This was stock AMT shaft S300

The local PGA Super Store will fit me for them for free like they have for all my previous sets of irons. There is a Wilson Rep in Atlanta who I will contact as well to see if he could do the fitting, but the PGA store in Roswell has a whole Wilson bay and simulator.

I just really want to give these a try. I love the looks. Also love their pros -- Paddy Harrington and Kevin Streelman seem like regular guys. I hit a friend's V4 and it felt so solid. If these are even better, may have to go for it. Also like the AMT shaft.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

IMO, there is no good way to make a solid opinion on what a iron is really like if you're trying it anywhere but off the turf. It's fun hitting them inside on a simulator but it tells you very little about the club. Just my .02.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

IMO, there is no good way to make a solid opinion on what a iron is really like if you're trying it anywhere but off the turf. It's fun hitting them inside on a simulator but it tells you very little about the club. Just my .02.

Could not agree with you more! I got my Hogans purely because of how it felt hitting the ball and then the turf interaction making the divot. I will let you know if i take these on grass soon. Georgia is lucky lately, we have been getting 60+ degree weather.

This is so screwy PGA superstore in Denver has a set on the rack but no demo head. WTH? I can't find any on eBay which makes no sense since they are in stores. I had played callaway apex irons for three years, sold them on eBay this summer to get ready for my next iron set. In the mean time I bought a cheap set of Wilson v4 and played with them for the remainder of the season. Anyway I sold those on eBay once I settled on some jpx 900 forged irons. I think the v4 look amazing from address but always hated the back of them. The v6 look amazing from every possible angle in my opinion. Now that I have spent some time with the jpx forged they just don't have that pure feeling that the v4 had with that weight behind the ball. My main gripe was I struggled with the v4 long irons a little, 7 iron down they were perfect for my game, small but great forgiveness for the head profile. The split tungsten weight helps quite a bit in the forgiveness department and has addressed the long iron issue. Gonna have to get a set of these and see which I like better on the golf course, getting a muscle back feel from a cavity back that is playable for a wide handicap range is pretty addictive. Now why doesn't Wilson market there irons more the price point is amazing, performance is amazing (with normal lofts) the v6 look so clean. I guess driver sales pay the bills. Wilson picked a bad year to market an ugly horrible sounding driver, it does go though, ha ha.

This is so screwy PGA superstore in Denver has a set on the rack but no demo head. WTH? I can't find any on eBay which makes no sense since they are in stores. I had played callaway apex irons for three years, sold them on eBay this summer to get ready for my next iron set. In the mean time I bought a cheap set of Wilson v4 and played with them for the remainder of the season. Anyway I sold those on eBay once I settled on some jpx 900 forged irons. I think the v4 look amazing from address but always hated the back of them. The v6 look amazing from every possible angle in my opinion. Now that I have spent some time with the jpx forged they just don't have that pure feeling that the v4 had with that weight behind the ball. My main gripe was I struggled with the v4 long irons a little, 7 iron down they were perfect for my game, small but great forgiveness for the head profile. The split tungsten weight helps quite a bit in the forgiveness department and has addressed the long iron issue. Gonna have to get a set of these and see which I like better on the golf course, getting a muscle back feel from a cavity back that is playable for a wide handicap range is pretty addictive. Now why doesn't Wilson market there irons more the price point is amazing, performance is amazing (with normal lofts) the v6 look so clean. I guess driver sales pay the bills. Wilson picked a bad year to market an ugly horrible sounding driver, it does go though, ha ha.

Literally have heard barely anything from Wilson on these irons. They've made a few tweets and a few instagram posts. That's literally the cheapest form of advertising imaginable. Ping tweets at least 5x a day and maybe more about their products. I've not seen one commercial on these irons to date. I think the driver performs well but they'd sell these irons if someone had places to hit them. They look way better than an AP2 which is what i would compare them too. I live in Nashville and they have them at Edwin watts and maybe the golfsmith but none of the major fitters have them where you'd hit em outside. It's pathetic. It's almost like they're not even trying to sell them. I went into Watts a few days after they were out and they didn't even have their demo heads yet. I don't know what they're trying to do and I can't believe there are none on eBay.

Literally have heard barely anything from Wilson on these irons. They've made a few tweets and a few instagram posts. That's literally the cheapest form of advertising imaginable. Ping tweets at least 5x a day and maybe more about their products. I've not seen one commercial on these irons to date. I think the driver performs well but they'd sell these irons if someone had places to hit them. They look way better than an AP2 which is what i would compare them too. I live in Nashville and they have them at Edwin watts and maybe the golfsmith but none of the major fitters have them where you'd hit em outside. It's pathetic. It's almost like they're not even trying to sell them. I went into Watts a few days after they were out and they didn't even have their demo heads yet. I don't know what they're trying to do and I can't believe there are none on eBay.

Ya the eBay thing has me very confused. If you want something in the golf world as soon as possible eBay is usually a good bet. Epic drivers are already going for 448.00. As far as the irons go it's a head scratcher. If mark crossfield reviwed these they could sale an extra 1000 sets because he would say wow those feel amazing and look like a proper iron down at the ball. Between the ap2's and these it took me five balls to say the wilsons feel like I am smashing a cold ball of butter off the face, and the ap2's feel nice, but not that nice. It's just stupid like you say with all the ways to market for cheap, when they are making some great irons. Hopefully some buzz on here will get more people to pick up a Wilson iron and try it.

Is the stock shaft on this club the DG Pro?

http://www.wilson.com/en-au/golf/irons/feel/3101787/

Does anyone have a link to the upgrade shaft options for the new FG v6?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

Although Wilson's pathetic excuse of a website says DG Pro, the stock shaft is the AMT. As far as upgrade shafts it's a bit of a mystery. I can't imagine updating a website with a PDF of shaft options is that difficult. Someone posted somewhere what their upcharges were. Compared to other OEMs the costs were ridiculous.

Horrible that Wilson is doing such a disservice to these clubs. They are so good.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Also Shiels and Crossfield will not review these. Rick said Wilson does not reply to him when he requests to demo their gear. YouTube Aussie Golf reviews. They just posted a review of these not too long ago.

Yes i want these or the i200's... but the new i200's did not have the spin numbers i want. I would love to hit a 7 iron 170, but why would I if it rolls off the green every time? or i can hit the V6 160 and they stick on the greens. That was my mistake with the Mizuno JPX 850 forged. I crushed them, but they did not hold on greens. That is why I own the Hogan Ft Worth 15 irons, less distance but they stick on the greens and are more consistent. You see Shiels getting gaps in every i200 club he hits. I would want consistency and better spin numbers. Added distance is nice and right now the V6's are giving me all 3 of those.

I am in Atlanta as well, enjoyed watching the Falcons beat the Packers so badly that Rodgers might finally have to call his mom.

I play the V4's and love the feel, the long irons launch a little high for my liking but they are the best irons I have owned. The V6 sole grind appears to be the same, you will love the turf interaction. I am considering the V6 as well, but I am the opposite in that I hate the look of the cavity in the V6. Also, I really hate chrome irons, but the V4's were good enough that I could overlook it.

I hit the i200 at the Roswell store today as part of my comparison, the head is just too big. The blade is too long, sole is too thick, and after playing the v4 the i200 felt harsh at impact. Currently I plan to keep the V4 in the bag until I can hit the new TM irons because I prefer the finish on those. I will decide then between the 770 and the V6. I can't see paying $1600 for the 750's. If the V6 came in a satin finish like the F5 there would be no comparison, but I have almost blinded myself with the V4's before...

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I actually tweeted them and they sent me this. Why this isn't on their website baffles me. Also Upcharges For Project X = $29, for Project X LZ = $36. Ridiculous really. They just don't get it. Many manufacturers offer many no upcharge shafts.

eb53e7de418172590e2cf138254a9ba8.jpg

c609dbd2e90ec7855de07b879bfb146f.jpg

I am in Atlanta as well, enjoyed watching the Falcons beat the Packers so badly that Rodgers might finally have to call his mom.

I play the V4's and love the feel, the long irons launch a little high for my liking but they are the best irons I have owned. The V6 sole grind appears to be the same, you will love the turf interaction. I am considering the V6 as well, but I am the opposite in that I hate the look of the cavity in the V6. Also, I really hate chrome irons, but the V4's were good enough that I could overlook it.

I hit the i200 at the Roswell store today as part of my comparison, the head is just too big. The blade is too long, sole is too thick, and after playing the v4 the i200 felt harsh at impact. Currently I plan to keep the V4 in the bag until I can hit the new TM irons because I prefer the finish on those. I will decide then between the 770 and the V6. I can't see paying $1600 for the 750's. If the V6 came in a satin finish like the F5 there would be no comparison, but I have almost blinded myself with the V4's before...

Go Falcons!!!!!!!!!!

I actually tweeted them and they sent me this. Why this isn't on their website baffles me. Also Upcharges For Project X = $29, for Project X LZ = $36. Ridiculous really. They just don't get it. Many manufacturers offer many no upcharge shafts.

eb53e7de418172590e2cf138254a9ba8.jpg

c609dbd2e90ec7855de07b879bfb146f.jpg

Now how hard would that be to put on their website??? Frustrating!

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

http://www.wilson.co...s/feel/3101787/

I think it's pretty clear that Wilson doesn't do what the rest of the industry does. Maybe that's by choice, maybe that's because they simply can't while remaining in business. My guess is as a smaller manufacturer they don't have the buying power and leverage the bigger companies do in order to get those free upgrades. No upcharge shafts are a fairly recent thing, with the rest of the industry seemingly in trouble while Wilson keeps plugging along doing their thing, who do you think is doing it right? Sure it's beneficial to the consumer, but why should they compromise themselves to keep up with the others? Competing against those cutting off their foot to save their leg isn't always a strong business plan.

http://www.wilson.co...s/feel/3101787/

I think it's pretty clear that Wilson doesn't do what the rest of the industry does. Maybe that's by choice, maybe that's because they simply can't while remaining in business. My guess is as a smaller manufacturer they don't have the buying power and leverage the bigger companies do in order to get those free upgrades. No upcharge shafts are a fairly recent thing, with the rest of the industry seemingly in trouble while Wilson keeps plugging along doing their thing, who do you think is doing it right? Sure it's beneficial to the consumer, but why should they compromise themselves to keep up with the others? Competing against those cutting off their foot to save their leg isn't always a strong business plan.

I'm pretty sure that most major manufacturers are offering more than one brand of steel shaft at no upcharge. I doubt they're losing money by charging $1000 for a set of sticks and offering a few more options. Mizuno offers most steel shafts at no upcharge. Callaway offers many as well.

What is going to make someone choose their clubs when they're not really coveted by anyone anymore and you can't hit them outside. What is going to make some basically pay $999 for the heads and $26 extra a club for a project x shaft when they can't hit them outside?

I say this to say that I know they'll be good, but it's hard to defend their pitiful business model. Hey I'd love to have a set of these. I know they're good. They're hurting themselves honestly. Good product. Terrible marketing and availability.