2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How long do you wait for new irons to perform?

ucfdad

I ordered the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and have played 10 rounds with them. I replaced 714 AP1's and the other contender was the Ping G. According to the monitor at PGASS, the Hot Metal were a little longer than the G, not a big issue, and the dispersion between the 2 were very close. At the end of the day, all things being equal, I chose the Hot Metal because it is a beautiful looking iron.

Fast forwards to today, I have 10 rounds with them and am wondering if I made the right decision. I used to average 7 GIR, with these I average 4. Other posters have said they weren't hitting greens because the irons are longer, I am hitting mine at least a club shorter. Couple that with the jacked up lofts, and my 7 iron which is comparable to my old 6 iron in loft only goes as far as my old 8 iron.

I do have the 90 day playability option to return and get something else. So how long would you wait before you called it a day with new irons? Should I hold out longer hoping I just "need to get used to them"?

Oh, for the most important stat, my score has been very similar. However, that is because I have been chipping and putting well lately, but it makes it stressful counting on hitting chips and pitches close all the time.

Sounds like a "bad" fit unless you fit into the stock shaft, which from the sounds of it is most likely a no.

I ordered the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and have played 10 rounds with them. I replaced 714 AP1's and the other contender was the Ping G. According to the monitor at PGASS, the Hot Metal were a little longer than the G, not a big issue, and the dispersion between the 2 were very close. At the end of the day, all things being equal, I chose the Hot Metal because it is a beautiful looking iron.

Fast forwards to today, I have 10 rounds with them and am wondering if I made the right decision. I used to average 7 GIR, with these I average 4. Other posters have said they weren't hitting greens because the irons are longer, I am hitting mine at least a club shorter. Couple that with the jacked up lofts, and my 7 iron which is comparable to my old 6 iron in loft only goes as far as my old 8 iron.

I do have the 90 day playability option to return and get something else. So how long would you wait before you called it a day with new irons? Should I hold out longer hoping I just "need to get used to them"?

Oh, for the most important stat, my score has been very similar. However, that is because I have been chipping and putting well lately, but it makes it stressful counting on hitting chips and pitches close all the time.

I think relatively speaking I give clubs a longer leash than most here, but even to me, 10 rounds are enough.

Did you compare to your AP1s while being fit to see if your results were any better? What about now?

Always nice to have a known quantity to baseline against.

I think relatively speaking I give clubs a longer leash than most here, but even to me, 10 rounds are enough.

Did you compare to your AP1s while being fit to see if your results were any better? What about now?

Always nice to have a known quantity to baseline against.

I hit the AP1 6 iron side by side with the JPX 7 iron which during the fitting and the distance was comparable. The JPX was a little longer than the Ping G which was the other model I considered.

Thinking back, I wanted to try the Ping G with the Modus 3 Tour 105 which I hit really well when researching clubs and PGASS didn't have it. I think that is the first setup I will try to hit tomorrow if they have the shaft. If not, I may have to hit what they have, run to Golfsmith which has the Modus, hit that and then back to PGASS to do the trade in if the Modus is the one.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Wilson Staff D200 19* and 22*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

I bought the 900 tours with project x lz shafts, whilst I was fitted for these and results were good on the GC2 sim, on the course was a totally different experience, so short in distance, 7 iron is a 9 iron... so disappointed as I love the look, 3 rounds later and they are on eBay, maybe a shaft change will make them better but who knows, shafts are LZ 6.0, I have a spare set of Black Gold shafts to use which I know work in other irons (Adams MB2'S) so might just change.

Just an update. I returned the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal today, great service by PGASS. I did the static fitting on pings website and it suggested +.25 inch and green dot. PGASS didn't have any +.25 inch shafts to try and the green dot G head was missing so I wasn't able to hit that specific combo. I tried +.50 inch and white dot, but they again didn't have any of the shafts that I wanted to try and the results with the shafts they had were mixed at best.

I did go and hit the Callaway Steelhead and the steel shaft was nothing special but the graphite shaft hit the ball good distances. Now my swing isn't perfect as I said previously, but I the dispersion was all over the place, the 7 iron was anywhere from 135 to 153. I would like more consistency than that.

So, for the moment, my gamers are Ping G15 irons that I gave my son years ago. If anyone wants to throw out opinions on irons, please do. Thanks for all the replies.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

Wonder if PGASS has the WilsonStaff FG Tour v4 cbs. When I hit them at a demo day a couple years ago, I was too broke to buy 'em. But I tell you what, if a brand new set were sitting right in front of me, I'd likely pay whatever the f$&@:;! asking price was...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Just an update. I returned the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal today, great service by PGASS. I did the static fitting on pings website and it suggested +.25 inch and green dot. PGASS didn't have any +.25 inch shafts to try and the green dot G head was missing so I wasn't able to hit that specific combo. I tried +.50 inch and white dot, but they again didn't have any of the shafts that I wanted to try and the results with the shafts they had were mixed at best.

I did go and hit the Callaway Steelhead and the steel shaft was nothing special but the graphite shaft hit the ball good distances. Now my swing isn't perfect as I said previously, but I the dispersion was all over the place, the 7 iron was anywhere from 135 to 153. I would like more consistency than that.

So, for the moment, my gamers are Ping G15 irons that I gave my son years ago. If anyone wants to throw out opinions on irons, please do. Thanks for all the replies.

awww huh.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

i don't wait.....

i only buy irons that i perform with

good gawd man, your avatar...

Edel E-1

honestly OP.. 30- 45 minutes... I may adjust lie angles etc but if i feel like they fit my specs and i dont jive with them inside an hour they are for sale or trade..period

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It should be about 4 to 5 rounds to get in iron grooves. PX 5.5 is between firm & stiff. PX 5.0 is the best fit since it is regular shaft flex. Hope that you can take them back and exchange for irons with right shafts for your game. Interesting that my KBS C-Taper Lite stiff shaft has the similar flex as PX 5.5 with lighter weight so they're between 5.0 and 5.5 flex.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

I don't believe that there should be an extended "trial" period for irons. I don't change things too often, but I've recently changed irons (Ping S57 to Srixon 745, from DG300 to i95) and the only real adjustment I had to make to the clubs was distance. If you are fighting the clubs, and the shafts don't "load" well for you, then you probably know it, but just don't want to accept it. (clubs are expensive)

Unfortunately I am approaching my 10th round with my new JPX900F (modus 105).

I am also struggling and at least a full club shorter than my old rocketbladez (kbs tour s). I am improving with them but still no where near where I would expect to be at.

I don't have the luxury of 90 day playability thingy so gonna have to stick with them. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence and that my swing has fallen apart at the same time of an iron switch. I'm really struggling with strike. I've never been one for topping/thinning so I initially thought (or tricked myself into believing) it's because of the shorter shaft length in mizunos. Who knows .... I'll just have to stick with it

Unfortunately I am approaching my 10th round with my new JPX900F (modus 105).

I am also struggling and at least a full club shorter than my old rocketbladez (kbs tour s). I am improving with them but still no where near where I would expect to be at.

I don't have the luxury of 90 day playability thingy so gonna have to stick with them. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence and that my swing has fallen apart at the same time of an iron switch. I'm really struggling with strike. I've never been one for topping/thinning so I initially thought (or tricked myself into believing) it's because of the shorter shaft length in mizunos. Who knows .... I'll just have to stick with it

Good luck! If I didn't have the 90 day exchange option, I would have been sticking with mine also.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

I don't really understand the idea here. Why should there ever be a waiting period? There should never be a time where you are fighting the club, from minute one that should just tell you it's a bad fit. Adjusting to the equipment is never the goal, the goal is to make the equipment adjustments to fit you. If you have to wait around for the club to work for you, then you're already going down the road of compensating for the equipment, which is completely backwards of the way it should to be.

So "adjustment" period? There really shouldn't be any.

At first, I was going to agree that there should be no adjustment period. This was because I am comparing my experience with a new set that would obviously be matched to my old set since that's what I do.

HOWEVER, it then occurred to me that the OP may be talking about a new set that has been fitted and was quite different from an ill-fitting set they had before. In this situation, there WILL be an adjustment period because the entire set could be considerably different from what they are used to and old habits die hard. That being said, I believe 10 rounds ought to do it for just about anyone.

One thing I would suggest for anyone getting a newly fitted set that IS very different from what they have been playing, is to spend A LOT of time on the range before actually playing a round with the clubs. That way, if any swing grooving has to take place, the process it is far less frustrating.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I don't really understand the idea here. Why should there ever be a waiting period? There should never be a time where you are fighting the club, from minute one that should just tell you it's a bad fit. Adjusting to the equipment is never the goal, the goal is to make the equipment adjustments to fit you. If you have to wait around for the club to work for you, then you're already going down the road of compensating for the equipment, which is completely backwards of the way it should to be. So "adjustment" period? There really shouldn't be any.
At first, I was going to agree that there should be no adjustment period. This was because I am comparing my experience with a new set that would obviously be matched to my old set since that's what I do. HOWEVER, it then occurred to me that the OP may be talking about a new set that has been fitted and was quite different from an ill-fitting set they had before. In this situation, there WILL be an adjustment period because the entire set could be considerably different from what they are used to and old habits die hard. That being said, I believe 10 rounds ought to do it for just about anyone. One thing I would suggest for anyone getting a newly fitted set that IS very different from what they have been playing, is to spend A LOT of time on the range before actually playing a round with the clubs. That way, if any swing grooving has to take place, the process it is far less frustrating. BT

I get where you are coming from...but I still can't agree.

Wouldn't you expect a "fitted set" to perform better than one that was bad? That's kind of the purpose of it all, no?

The idea of fitting is to match the natural swing that someone has, not create something new. If I were to give you 3 different baseball bats, and five swings with each, you could probably tell me which one felt better right? Why would you want to accept it if I gave you one of the others you didn't pick and told you, don't worry, even if it doesn't feel right you'll get used to it? If it doesn't work as well for you now, keep trying, you'll adapt to make it perform better later? Why go against the grain and make it harder than it needs to be?

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Are you sure you're not hitting them fat? For irons that supposedly are little bit longer to come up 1 club short something else might be causing it? Use some impact tape or foot powder.

I am pretty sure I would know if I was shorter because I was hitting them fat. There are at least 2 other people who replied in this thread that they are having similar issues. I have returned them, but I am leaning towards blaming the shaft. Although I was fitted into that shaft based on numbers from their machine, in the real world, that is the only thing that I can point to as a possible reason.

I have never understood the differences in shafts, tips, kick points etc., but I hit the Ping G at a different big box first with the standard shaft and then with the Modus 105 and according to their machine there was a big difference in the distance and dispersion.

Due to this experience, when I do go get fitted again, I am going to go twice, see different fitters and see if they agree. Also, the 90 day return policy is a must. With the price of clubs, I will only purchase from stores that offer this because it is the only way you can try clubs and not throw away a bunch of money.

I wish there was somewhere in Florida that would let you demo a set before you buy but that place doesn't exist down here. OEM's that let you try before you buy like Hogan and Bridgestone have the right idea.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

It sounds like the shafts arent right for you, were u fitted or did u carry out the clubs you were hitting at the store? Maybe there was a shaft mix up

It sounds like the shafts arent right for you, were u fitted or did u carry out the clubs you were hitting at the store? Maybe there was a shaft mix up

Sorry, should have rwad all the way through..i see other have said something similar

Sounds like it's the shafts like others have said. PX 5.5 is stiff. Were you trying to reduce spin and launch? That's really the only reason to get PX shafts. The stiffness is probably why you're losing distance.

Sorry to hijack OPs topic but it's just cause I'm experiencing the same.

I've went from rocketbladez with kbs tour stiff

To

Jpx 900f with the modus 105

I was always proud of my ball striking for a 12hc. Had short game issues.

Now I'm thinning it etc and even we'll hit ones are a full club shorter.

Lofts are similar, is it really that half an inch of shaft length or can it be shaft weight?

I'm really regretting changing at the minute as I hit the others ones really well. I was very ill for the start of this year (big c) and the irons were a basically a present to myself for coming through it. I had no other reason to change.

Sounds like it's the shafts like others have said. PX 5.5 is stiff. Were you trying to reduce spin and launch? That's really the only reason to get PX shafts. The stiffness is probably why you're losing distance.

Sorry to hijack OPs topic but it's just cause I'm experiencing the same.

I've went from rocketbladez with kbs tour stiff

To

Jpx 900f with the modus 105

I was always proud of my ball striking for a 12hc. Had short game issues.

Now I'm thinning it etc and even we'll hit ones are a full club shorter.

Lofts are similar, is it really that half an inch of shaft length or can it be shaft weight?

I'm really regretting changing at the minute as I hit the others ones really well. I was very ill for the start of this year (big c) and the irons were a basically a present to myself for coming through it. I had no other reason to change.

honest question, if you were hitting the other ones really well, why change in the first place?

Edel E-1