Modus 105 vs Modus 120. Differences other than weight?

Lionstar

On 11/18/2016 at 11:36 PM, MJisGOAT said:

What kind of divots do you modus 120 players typically make?

The 120s feel head heavy due to that stiff tip (to me) and I have a tendency to stab the club in the ground. It's probably the most unorthodox feeling shaft I've tried; nearly impossible to flight the ball with the 120 (for me).

When I am swinging well I don't take much of a divot, shallow if I do.  I attribute much of this to the irons I am gaming due to the design of the sole (Ben Hogan Icon blades).  When I was gaming the '99 Apex blades I took a shallow to slightly below moderate divot.  What I like about the Modus 120 stiff shaft is the medium mid section is that I feel I an load the shaft adequately without having to force it.  All I have to do is swing smoothly and the performance is excellent.  I have tried the 105s and I didn't care for them as much as the 120s.  To me it had less feel and the loading characteristics were different, didn't feel natural to me.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

2 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

IDK... I get similar launch and flight from the 105 stiff as I do from the S300, obviously very different weights but the 120 stiff has a much softer butt and dispersion is not as good.  The 105 may be a touch light, but I don't get the elbow pain that the S300 sometimes leaves after a round.  Thats why I also gave the DG S300 120 a shot but no good for me at all which I was shocked by but thats why getting fit can be so important.  The 105 and 120 are very different, but really impressed overall with the 105, I just want to try the heavier 125 now!  

Thanks. I do like the feel of the 120’s, but as I get older I am thinking a little lighter weight may help. Had a short stint with the 105’s in some P790’s but got moved out of them when I was fit at PXG. He put me in the 120’s. 

May even try the Elevate Tour S because I am shopping for some 0211’s. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

How do the Modus 120's compare to the project X LZ's? Sounds similar with stiff tip and soft mid section?

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

I have a set of Srixon z765's with Modus 120S in them. I really like the short irons a ton. Very accurate, solid feel. The 5/6 irons launch very low for me. I'm working on some swing changes so I'm going to blame that until I know better. I have a relatively low swing speed, probably 75-80 mph with mid irons. YMMV. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 11/3/2020 at 5:15 AM, ScottHutch2 said:

How do the Modus 120's compare to the project X LZ's? Sounds similar with stiff tip and soft mid section?

Hit the 120 X, LZ 6.0, and KBS Tour V X today. Not sure what it was, but I didn’t get along with the Modus 120. Contact was all over the face. I found the LZ and Tour V to be very similar in feel. They both launched about the same height, but the LZ spun a bit less. 

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Accra TZ5 65 M4

Nike Covert 2.0 15* UST VTS Silver 7S

Titleist U510 2 iron Atmos HB TS Blue 8X

Srixon Z785 4-A Project X LZ 6.0

Nike Engage Square 54* Project X 6.0

Nike Engage Toe Sweep 58* Project X 6.0

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 7

Bridgestone Tour B X

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 8:56 PM, otw said:

I was at the Mizuno experience in Atlanta last month. Normally use Modus 120s, Used 105X which is only 2 grams lighter than 120s. the 105 was 5 yds longer carry for the 3 test heads than the 120s and all the suggested shafts. Their fitter was a bit perplexed since the 105 wasn't even a suggested shaft. Good luck in the search.

I was fitted in to a 120 S and then tried the Mizuno optimizer and it suggested 105 X. Ended up going with the 105 X. I’m not good enough or used enough shafts to provide any more knowledge than that. Haha

9 hours ago, DFDLT said:

I was fitted in to a 120 S and then tried the Mizuno optimizer and it suggested 105 X. Ended up going with the 105 X. I’m not good enough or used enough shafts to provide any more knowledge than that. Haha

I hope it's worked out for you - but that's generally a backwards approach.  The optimizer should be used only to give a starting point to a fitting and the actual choice should be made based on testing and the results you get (the actual fitting part).  It should never be used to overrule a fitting. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2020 at 5:15 AM, ScottHutch2 said:

Have the Modus 120 in my 785s and the LZ 6.0 in some 718 cb.  I think the LZ feel a little softer, but overall I think they play very similar.  If I really get after one, I tend to get the lefts in the long irons with the LZ and wondering if they just play softer to flex than most.  If I put a regular swing on the LZ, it seems to be very accurate, but so is the Modus.  Modus feels smooth, with a little more stability and holds up to a stronger swing for me.  

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 11/8/2016 at 6:03 PM, dunn said:

Nope, no reg flex in 120....I ordered a set of 745 from them and got em in 120 stiff.....to me the modus 120 and kbs tour are very similar....I didn't like kbs tour and really didn't care for modus 120....shafts are so personal it's very hard to guess or to go off anyone's experience....people are different in swings and the way they perceive information.....even with same swingspeed everything can and usually will be different with shafts......

When demoing shafts as long as the head kinda resembles the one your getting it doesn't really matter which one it is........to me shafts fit the golfer not the head....I play pretty much same shafts regardless of head

If you were to guess get the correct weight first.....weight is most important

You can always soft step.

• 4 weeks later...

I am playing the 105s in my JPX 919 HM and I am seeing super high ball flights right now and my miss is always a pull hook. I went to a PGA Superstore while I was on vacation over the weekend and hit the 120s in a 921 forged and really liked the shaft. When I first got fitted, I had a super aggressive tempo and now my tempo feels more moderate. Would the 120s help to take away my pull hook?

Driver: Ping G430 LST w/ Diamana PD 60s

3w: Titleist TSr2 w/ Diamana Thump 75s

5w: Titleist TSr2 w/ Diamana Thump 85s

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MkII 4-PW w/ Steelfiber FC 115 F4

Wedges: CBX2 48, Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 54, 58

Putter: Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined CS

Ball: Z-Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/16/2016 at 10:50 AM, forefrazier said:

Good information on the video but man...Total snooze fest. Insomniacs would probably doze off watching this :)

No kidding, I had to watch it at 1.5 speed to get through it.  I think the difference in performance come down to the 120 the blade closes slightly slower so you launch is higher and spin it more due the club face not closing as rapidly through impact.  I also tested the 105 producing ball speed 2 mph fast but again...probably because I was covering it a little better with the lighter shaft

• 4 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 5:42 PM, OspreyCI said:

Thanks. I do like the feel of the 120’s, but as I get older I am thinking a little lighter weight may help. Had a short stint with the 105’s in some P790’s but got moved out of them when I was fit at PXG. He put me in the 120’s. 

May even try the Elevate Tour S because I am shopping for some 0211’s. 

I have used the Modus 120S for several years. My distance is about even with my Epic Forged irons. The mid shaft kick of the 120S is great when your timing is dead on. The great thing about the 105X is that the ball flight (due to a firmer mid shaft) produces a consistent ball flight and a small draw shot after shot. The 120 when you change the velocity of your swing (dues to a soft midsection) creates pushes and draws when your swing is not sequenced perfectly. The best comparison is a lighter weight X100 for the Modus 105X in my book. Solid and cosnsistent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Corne said:

Sorry a little late to the conversation - any ideas as to the difference between the modus 105x and the modus 120s? 

105x is stiffer in the butt and mid-section of the club,  the 120s is stiffer in the tip side.

How that translates to a difference in feel and performance will be different for everyone - especially considering the difference in shaft weight is going to generally be much more influential than the differences in stiffness.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

105x is stiffer in the butt and mid-section of the club,  the 120s is stiffer in the tip side.

How that translates to a difference in feel and performance will be different for everyone - especially considering the difference in shaft weight is going to generally be much more influential than the differences in stiffness.

Thanks for the swift reply. The thing is, living in South Africa the Modus 105x is very difficult to come by and very expensive to buy new. I was however fitted for it. The Modus 120s however is quite easy to find in second hand sets and I was therefore wondering if it might be alright leaning towards the 120s rather than 105x if there is not too big a difference.

24 minutes ago, Corne said:

Thanks for the swift reply. The thing is, living in South Africa the Modus 105x is very difficult to come by and very expensive to buy new. I was however fitted for it. The Modus 120s however is quite easy to find in second hand sets and I was therefore wondering if it might be alright leaning towards the 120s rather than 105x if there is not too big a difference.

When you were fit for the 105x, did you hit the 120x or 120s?    Unfortunately, that's the only way to get the answers you're looking for.    If not, go back to the fitter and ask for the chance to test them out (or other more reasonably obtainable options).

Everyone has different sensitivities and tolerances for the change in both weight and stiffness.   But as I said before, weight is typically more important than the stiffness,  so if you were fit for a 105 gm shaft,  substituting a 120 gm is generally not going to be a good idea.  I'd recommend looking for an alternative that's closer to the weight you were fit into.

I mean I could show you a graph with some stiffness profiles - but even that is extremely difficult to translate those numerical or visual differences in the graph to feel differences and impossible to predict how it will translate to ball flight differences.

Edited by Stuart_G

15 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

When you were fit for the 105x, did you hit the 120x or 120s?    Unfortunately, that's the only way to get the answers you're looking for.    Everyone has different sensitivities and tolerances for the change in both weight and stiffness.   But as I said before, weight is typically more important than the stiffness,  so if you were fit for a 105 gm shaft,  substituting a 120 gm is generally not going to be a good idea.  I'd recommend looking for an alternative that's closer to the weight you were fit into.

I mean I could show you a graph with some stiffness profiles - but even that is extremely difficult to translate those numerical or visual differences in the graph to feel differences and impossible to predict how it will translate to ball flight differences.

If I recall correctly, I tried out a KBS 120s, but it was a bit too heavy. Not sure what the specs are between KBS 120s and Modus 120s? Quite new into shafts, so don't really know much at this point haha.

4 minutes ago, Corne said:

If I recall correctly, I tried out a KBS 120s, but it was a bit too heavy. Not sure what the specs are between KBS 120s and Modus 120s? Quite new into shafts, so don't really know much at this point haha.

KBS Tour R+ is actually the closest match to the Nippon 105x  for stiffness - and 115 gm as opposed to the 120 gm for the Tour S.  Even the KBS R flex (110 gm) is not that bad of a match and might be worth trying (maybe hard stepped).   Again, only testing will give the true answer.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

KBS Tour R+ is actually the closest match to the Nippon 105x  for stiffness - and 115 gm as opposed to the 120 gm for the Tour S.  Even the KBS R flex (110 gm) is not that bad of a match and might be worth trying (maybe hard stepped).   Again, only testing will give the true answer.

Capture.PNG

That is interesting, never heard of R+ before, done a quick search, not available at the moment in other sets (buying shafts new is unfortunately too expensive for me).  These are the data for my 7 iron if it helps.

image.png

On 11/16/2016 at 5:50 PM, forefrazier said:

Good information on the video but man...Total snooze fest. Insomniacs would probably doze off watching this 🙂

It was tough to watch…. I just got my irons with 105x s from DG 120X100 not sure they gonna stay… tough to feel the shorter irons also turn them over easy 

On 8/8/2021 at 10:35 AM, Corne said:

Sorry a little late to the conversation - any ideas as to the difference between the modus 105x and the modus 120s? 

For me personally they were night and day. I don't remember how different the numbers were, but I hit the 105x and the 120s back to back intentionally to try two very similar weight options that are stock for Srixon and the 105x was great for me and I absolutely hated the 120s.

• 8 months later...
On 11/6/2016 at 1:48 AM, cz13X4 said:

For me the 120x launched higher and spun more than the 105x. 120 is weird. Supposed to be lower launching but many on here including myself saw it going higher. Ymmv.

I know its an old thread but just wanted to +1 this. 120 has been higher launch for me consistently (across multiple heads) compared to the 105 and 125

• 11 months later...

Reviving this old thread but I've had the chance to play both the 105R and the 120S. I'm a strong high-handicap golfer who was improved from not scoring at all to 22 of handicap over ~2 years (aiming for 16-17 this year). Swing speed with a 6 iron is ~80-85mph with a smooth transition and 160 carry for a 7 iron. I started out with a pair of second hand clubs that had Modus 105R in them which felt great but were a bit too soft (hook left miss) and then moved into another pair of second hand ZX5 clubs with 120s. I hit the ball very high with the 120 shafts when I do catch it, and like with what others have said if my tempo isn't absolutely perfect the shaft feels awful. When you do get it right you get a nice high straight flight and tons of accuracy (particularly in short irons 8-PW). It really punishes inconsistency and the added weight/very stiff tip make the shaft feel like rebar if you mis-strike the ball. 

Going in this week to try out the slightly lighter 105s and hoping that a more progressive shaft will suit my swing. I'm relatively new to golf but the 120s shaft profile feels like what I would imagine a tensei white/hrzdus green feels like, stiff tip softer handle made for more aggressive swings with great tempo. I'm in blueboard for all of my woods (driver/3w/5w/4H) so hoping the 105s is closer to that profile. 

If anyone still cares about this will report back with my findings... 

With a resurrection, let's add another post.  Profile data, courtesy of Wishon Golf, and EI Curves, courtesy of Nippon.  

Nippon's data hints that they show the 120 having a similar flex but a softer mid or lower mid than the 105.  The Wishon data shows something a little less stark, as you can see below.  

I'll add, having recently hit both a 105 stiff and 120 stiff, I got the impression that the Nippon info is reasonable.  Felt like the 105 was slightly stiffer in the mid.  This could also be power of suggestion, as I already knew about the EI profiles when I hit the 105 the first time (I'd hit 120 both before and since).

First, the Wishon profile info.  I don't have the Modus 125, but here are the 105, 120, and 130 all in Stiff:

image.png.dc6802e84c99b4517c94e42b4c125778.png

And now the EI Curves from Nippon:

image.png.a36a1f4a39c06cf7354fa4c83a395af9.png

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

The Wishon DB lists the Modus 125 as just the "Modus 3 Tour" - since it was measured when it was the only weight version that was available.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 144200.png

Based on that timing, I would think those are the Modus 120.  They were the first Modus shafts, the 125 was a more recent joinee.

Also, only the 120 comes in TX, the 125 is just R/S/X

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Based on that timing, I would think those are the Modus 120.  They were the first Modus shafts, the 125 was a more recent joinee.

Also, only the 120 comes in TX, the 125 is just R/S/X

I'm not a Nippon guy, never was - I'm just repeating what everyone in the forum who was following Nippon was saying at the time.   So many grains of salt may be included.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...