#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Any of you guys that went on the trip going to look into the new steelhead fairways?

XR pro probably my single favourite club right now, so not right now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you guys that went on the trip going to look into the new steelhead fairways?

I'll look at it but honestly the 3wd/5wd combo I have right now is really good. The bba was really underrated in the fw wood category.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I will pass as well. The Steelheads look great but they're too deep to my eye. I want something that I feel I can constantly elevate.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I will pass as well. The Steelheads look great but they're too deep to my eye. I want something that I feel I can constantly elevate.

Same here.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The migration begins ... I added a set of Apex Pro irons, too. Let's see what all the fuss is about, shall we?

to put it as simply as I can: You're screwed. The Apex Pros are legit irons and from what I've heard, the Epic fairway woods are excellent.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

The migration begins ... I added a set of Apex Pro irons, too. Let's see what all the fuss is about, shall we?

to put it as simply as I can: You're screwed. The Apex Pros are legit irons and from what I've heard, the Epic fairway woods are excellent.

It's funny. When I first picked up the game 20 years ago, I absolutely needed a set of x12 irons and a Steelhead driver. I was a broke law student and saved and saved until I could get them. I was as big a Callaway Fanboy as you could imagine. Played an awful lot of Callaway gear all the way from the x-12 irons to the release of the RAZR lines, which sort of lost me. Since then, I simply have not purchased any of their products. I am pretty excited about this gear, though. I'm down to choosing shafts for the Epic driver, which is what got me interested in the brand again. Already have the 3 wood, and will be putting he Apex Pros up against a set of JPX 900 Pros over the next couple of weeks. We'll see where it goes,but I could definitely put an entire Callaway bag together at this point.

It's funny. When I first picked up the game 20 years ago, I absolutely needed a set of x12 irons and a Steelhead driver. I was a broke law student and saved and saved until I could get them. I was as big a Callaway Fanboy as you could imagine. Played an awful lot of Callaway gear all the way from the x-12 irons to the release of the RAZR lines, which sort of lost me. Since then, I simply have not purchased any of their products. I am pretty excited about this gear, though. I'm down to choosing shafts for the Epic driver, which is what got me interested in the brand again. Already have the 3 wood, and will be putting he Apex Pros up against a set of JPX 900 Pros over the next couple of weeks. We'll see where it goes,but I could definitely put an entire Callaway bag together at this point.

Before the trip, I had only used a pre odyssey putter in high school and a couple jaws wedges for like 4 rounds.

The trip gave me some exposure to things I wouldn't have tried since I was a one trick pony from when I started playing more seriously to present day, and that trick wasn't callaway. All the manufacturers make great gear, you just have to want to try it out with an open mind.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

BCU, I don't have the Apex Pros, but the Apex CF16's. I like them a lot, as well as the Epic fairway woods. I have had the clubs more than 6 months now, and they won't be going anywhere.

I hit a CF16 demo 7 iron on the course last weekend. What a fun iron to hit! I wish I had the entire set to hit, though. I really enjoyed the 7, but I hit it so far that I couldn't envision how my distance gapping would be usable in the short irons. I was hitting the 7 iron 190 on full swings, which is a full 2 clubs longer than I am used to hitting. What on earth do you hit from 130!?!?!

BCU, I don't have the Apex Pros, but the Apex CF16's. I like them a lot, as well as the Epic fairway woods. I have had the clubs more than 6 months now, and they won't be going anywhere.

I hit a CF16 demo 7 iron on the course last weekend. What a fun iron to hit! I wish I had the entire set to hit, though. I really enjoyed the 7, but I hit it so far that I couldn't envision how my distance gapping would be usable in the short irons. I was hitting the 7 iron 190 on full swings, which is a full 2 clubs longer than I am used to hitting. What on earth do you hit from 130!?!?!

A gripped down 7-iron. ;-)

Apex Pros are awesome, just bring your sunglasses on sunny days. LOL

Don't look directly at them! You have to reach into your bag while covering your eyes , like you are reaching for old food behind a stove or something.

Great and playable irons though

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Keep talking like that and I may end up purchasing my third set of irons this week. My local fitter actually said something similar. "Learn to hit a half wedge" he said. I may need to do so. I really loved the look and feel.

Don't look directly at them! You have to reach into your bag while covering your eyes , like you are reaching for old food behind a stove or something.

You forget. I've used TM Milled Grind wedges. My dremel buffing wheel is at the ready. DIY satin finish is my specialty!!

You forget. I've used TM Milled Grind wedges. My dremel buffing wheel is at the ready. DIY satin finish is my specialty!!

I like the chrome on the Apex Pro's. I'm not crazy about the leading edge shape but they're are performing for me so I'll take it.

It's funny, when I left the trip the one club I wasn't 100% sold on was my 21* Apex Utility Iron I was fit for. Now it's one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

During my fitting I told Nick that I usually carry 4-Pw but I just don't see a big enough gap between my 4 and 5 iron so we went with a 21 Apex Utility iron bent a little weak then my next longest iron was my 5. I saw improved gapping in my game but I wasn't super confident in that club due for whatever reason. Recently I put a Recoil 110 in that Utility and boy did it come alive. I can hit quite a few shots with it that I wasn't comfortable with before and it's become a real tool for me.

I even decided to put the Recoils in the rest of my irons and wedges just to see how they felt. So far the ball is going a ton farther wth the irons but I'm not as accurate so I'll probably be putting the Tour V's or the $-Taper Prototypes back in. Strangely I actually love the Recoils in my wedges. My wedges always come out soooooo heavy due to how long I play them but with the Recoil 110's they are much more manageable.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I like the chrome on the Apex Pro's. I'm not crazy about the leading edge shape but they're are performing for me so I'll take it.

It's funny, when I left the trip the one club I wasn't 100% sold on was my 21* Apex Utility Iron I was fit for. Now it's one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

During my fitting I told Nick that I usually carry 4-Pw but I just don't see a big enough gap between my 4 and 5 iron so we went with a 21 Apex Utility iron bent a little weak then my next longest iron was my 5. I saw improved gapping in my game but I wasn't super confident in that club due for whatever reason. Recently I put a Recoil 110 in that Utility and boy did it come alive. I can hit quite a few shots with it that I wasn't comfortable with before and it's become a real tool for me.

I even decided to put the Recoils in the rest of my irons and wedges just to see how they felt. So far the ball is going a ton farther wth the irons but I'm not as accurate so I'll probably be putting the Tour V's or the $-Taper Prototypes back in. Strangely I actually love the Recoils in my wedges. My wedges always come out soooooo heavy due to how long I play them but with the Recoil 110's they are much more manageable.

The $ tapers are amazing. I've been messing with them for about a month and they feel great. I was worried that switching back to a steel would really aggravate my elbow issues but I have had none since switching.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I was absolutely flushing the $-Tapers. I really don't know why I switched from them. Sometimes I think I just like torturing myself.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I was absolutely flushing the $-Tapers. I really don't know why I switched from them. Sometimes I think I just like torturing myself.

I'm going to ride them out until elbow pains come back.

Great flight of the ball and tight dispersion.

I wasn't really expecting that with these shafts since I didn't really get along with the kbs tour. Talked to a few guys and they said to give these a try

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I wasn't really expecting that with these shafts since I didn't really get along with the kbs tour. Talked to a few guys and they said to give these a try

Yes, I was recommended a set by Todd. He was the guy from KBS that talked to us after our fittings. Ironically he works for Callaway R&D now.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Golfers are masochists at heart.

PXG Bat Attack H

Yes, I was recommended a set by Todd. He was the guy from KBS that talked to us after our fittings. Ironically he works for Callaway R&D now.

What's the difference between KBS Tour and $Taper? The website description seemed a little vague.

Forget Todd, what happened to that girl that was there with him. Someone get MtlJeff THAT info

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Keep talking like that and I may end up purchasing my third set of irons this week. My local fitter actually said something similar. "Learn to hit a half wedge" he said. I may need to do so. I really loved the look and feel.

He's right. :-)

What's the difference between KBS Tour and $Taper? The website description seemed a little vague.

$ Taper is lower flight and less spin than KBS Tour while maintaining a smooth feel. It's listed in between KB Tour and Tour V online.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

G LS down to 399$cad with the tour shaft. Can someone convince me to stay a Callaway homer?

I really loved hitting that thing.

There is nothing wrong with the SZ. Just I'm in new club withdrawal. I'm like an addict here

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

G LS down to 399$cad with the tour shaft. Can someone convince me to stay a Callaway homer?

There is nothing wrong with the SZ. Just I'm in new club withdrawal. I'm like an addict here

Why not? I've been through more shafts than Lisa Ann this year. You won't be the first guy to Ho after a trip.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

It was 80 today in ft Worth.

Stop it.........just stop it.

:derisive:

Winter warmth in dfw always has an asterisk. High humidity and howling southern winds.

If any of you lucky 8 that live in a snow and cold area would like to send your 2017 driver down to me, I promise to let it get out in warmer weather and send it back up to you when your weather improves.

That's mighty nice of you!

I live in Richmond, VA and the weather here is hit-or-miss. One day its 50 and the next its 30. I am fortunate that I ca play through most of the winter.

Given my recent interest in Cally equipment, I was reading some of the prior posts. Didn't realize you were in RVA. I'm in Midlothian and work downtown. We should go knock it around sometime!

I have felt absolutely no new club withdrawal. This has surprised the hell out of me. I am very happy with what I have.

Given my recent interest in Cally equipment, I was reading some of the prior posts. Didn't realize you were in RVA. I'm in Midlothian and work downtown. We should go knock it around sometime!

I would love that!

I live in Midlo (Bon Air) as well.

I work full time for Richmond Fire Department and part-time at Providence golf course. Hit me up anytime you want to play.

PXG Bat Attack H