2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went only one night to In and Out, LOL.....the other night you guys went i think i was assigned to make sure no strangers molested Greg while he slept next to the fire.

Who was watching to make sure you didnt?

I think someone was on the stairmaster in the gym, but that time of night, eyewitness testimony can be very unreliable

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I can't believe it's been over 6 months since we were there. It really was a trip of a lifetime. I know it's not a contest to see who had a better trip but one of the great things about our trip were the other winners I got to go with and couldn't imagine a better trip. I really felt like we had a great group of guys representing WRX.

I think we need a reunion.

I too am surprised at how much time has passed. I still like the clubs very much and have no thought or interest in replacing them. Yes, you were all a great bunch of guys to share this trip with. What made it even more special was how eclectic the group was: young, old, and in between, as well as representing players of varying abilities. Anyone who was interested in following the trip would find a participant they could relate to in one way or another. I am just sorry I wasn't able to try an In-N-Out hamburger. :-)

Yea, I didn't get to try one either. I was snoozing at the firepit.

A well deserved rest after an arduous day. :-)

I think I was the youngest guy on the trip and I never made it out late enough to get to In and Out. My sleep schedule was all screwed up on the west coast. I was getting up at like 4:45 am.

I was the oldest guy and could say the same thing. :-)

Like Paul, I still very much like my equipment. I also like the shafts that were recommended by Nick. I have always been a fan of Diamana shaft and the new light weight versions work extremely well in my driver and fairway woods. I have also hit a number of graphite iron shafts and for me the UST Recoil's are best I have ever had. They also work very well in my wedges. With the exception of my driver, Nick put me in stiff shafts, which surprised me. He said given the added length a regular flex wouldn't do. He was right. I find the feel, fit, and ball flight to be a lot better than with previous clubs I have owned.

I can't see any of these clubs going anywhere anytime soon. I used to buy and sell with the best of them, but I have done a complete 180º. It's been six months and I haven't really switched out anything, which for me is quite remarkable.

Those PM grind wedges you have are tempting. I am thinking of going back to a 54/58 set up. The gap from my AW to my 56 is pretty big. I am going to try Misplaced Texan's 54W and 58W next week, but I like the idea behind the PMs. I had an old Eye2 SW that I wore the groove smooth on.

I really like the PM grind. It give me a lot of versatility. You're right, that is quite a gap. I find 4º increments to work very well. I will be curious to hear how you like the 54/58 set-up.

I basically ho golf bags now, since I like all my clubs. It's depressing.

But I have like 3-4 golf bags. I'm like a woman with purses.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Still love these sticks.

That Toulon headcover looks great in the bag.

Sean contacted me after I commented in your Toulon thread about making me a putter. I sent him the specs he asked for on March 2nd but I've heard nothing since. I emailed him in mid April to see how it was going, but no response.

Kinda, sad.....I was looking forward to it.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

So it's basically 6+ months since the trip took place and you were all fit to Cally's best equipment. Is everyone still playing all the Cally equipment and if not, what's been changed out and why?

So post trip how much have you guys tinkered with your set up? I'm sure some of us have stayed exactly the same.

My set has stayed the exact same.

I've been really impressed with my Apex Pro + X100. They are the best irons I've hit, hands down. The shorter irons offer a little bit more forgiveness on that toe miss that often ended 10 yards short and right with my MB. And the long irons launch high and come down soft. I can see where some wouldn't like the more curved leading edge, but they look good to my eye. I picked the MD3 over the straight-edge MD Forged off that preference as well.

My fitter, John Degan, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and great dude!

Here we go, testing time!

2uhqxk0.jpg

1088h2u.jpg

Identical builds:

• Diamana White 90 X
  • No tipping
  • 40”

After extensive testing, I'm still in the XR Pro. The Apex is phenomenal, but is a little more neutral weighting and can go both ways on me if I'm not careful. The XR Pro only misses right for me, so I have confidence to aim a little left and bust it.

So, I'm still playing every club that I was fit for at ECPC and loving every one. I think most of it has to do with confidence; I know that I was fit for these exact specs by some of the best in the business, so I have no doubts about my equipment over the ball.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

So it's basically 6+ months since the trip took place and you were all fit to Cally's best equipment. Is everyone still playing all the Cally equipment and if not, what's been changed out and why?

So post trip how much have you guys tinkered with your set up? I'm sure some of us have stayed exactly the same.

I've been really impressed with my Apex Pro + X100. They are the best irons I've hit, hands down. The shorter irons offer a little bit more forgiveness on that toe miss that often ended 10 yards short and right with my MB. And the long irons launch high and come down soft. I can see where some wouldn't like the more curved leading edge, but they look good to my eye. I picked the MD3 over the straight-edge MD Forged off that preference as well.

My fitter, John Degan, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and great dude!

2uhqxk0.jpg

1088h2u.jpg

Identical builds:

• Diamana White 90 X
  • No tipping
  • 40”

After extensive testing, I'm still in the XR Pro. The Apex is phenomenal, but is a little more neutral weighting and can go both ways on me if I'm not careful. The XR Pro only misses right for me, so I have confidence to aim a little left and bust it.

So, I'm still playing every club that I was fit for at ECPC and loving every one. I think most of it has to do with confidence; I know that I was fit for these exact specs by some of the best in the business, so I have no doubts about my equipment over the ball.

Awesome stuff!

2uhqxk0.jpg

1088h2u.jpg

Identical builds:

• Diamana White 90 X
  • No tipping
  • 40”

Q what shaft is in the XR-Pro hybrid? Knowing how your clubs are going to perform has to help with your confidence...a lot!

Anybody try the Epic hybrid yet? I tried to get my local GG and PGASS to sell me one today.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Q what shaft is in the XR-Pro hybrid?

2uhqxk0.jpg

Identical builds:

• Diamana White 90 X
  • No tipping
  • 40”

Taylormade TP5

First round with my EPIC hybrid on the course today. 20* plus 1, neutral setting with a GD AD I shaft.

Feel is meh, very solid at impact but I struggle to tell where on the face I made the strike. However, performance is perfect for what I was looking for. Carry is exactly what I wanted, 205, with a nice high flight.

The best thing about it is I just can't hit it left. As someone who has never really put a hybrid in the bag as they always seem to want to over-draw, this club is a massive confidence builder. Nice soft cuts with the odd one just flying straight.

Found it really easy to flight it down if I wanted more of a runner.

Still early days but good so far.

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

I spent most of the day demoing drivers yesterday and the Epic SZ was the pretty clear winner. Love the sound of that thing and it was really, really forgiving. Embarrassed to say that the shaft I hit best was the Recoil 450 F3 at 44.5". I'm 43 with a 92 mph 6 iron swing speed, but am so excited about this regular shaft that I treated myself to the early bird dinner buffet at the local Luby's cafeteria to hand out with all the other guys using this model driver shaft!

Was pretty smitten with the shape of the MD3 forged wedges, and had fun hitting the Apex CF16 demo. Callaway's gear is really solid right now. I definitely see an Epic in the future.

First round with my EPIC hybrid on the course today. 20* plus 1, neutral setting with a GD AD I shaft.

Feel is meh, very solid at impact but I struggle to tell where on the face I made the strike. However, performance is perfect for what I was looking for. Carry is exactly what I wanted, 205, with a nice high flight.

The best thing about it is I just can't hit it left. As someone who has never really put a hybrid in the bag as they always seem to want to over-draw, this club is a massive confidence builder. Nice soft cuts with the odd one just flying straight.

Found it really easy to flight it down if I wanted more of a runner.

Still early days but good so far.

Sounds like the SZ fairway wood. Not the softest or most instructive feel, but thing just wants to go straight.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I spent most of the day demoing drivers yesterday and the Epic SZ was the pretty clear winner. Love the sound of that thing and it was really, really forgiving. Embarrassed to say that the shaft I hit best was the Recoil 450 F3 at 44.5". I'm 43 with a 92 mph 6 iron swing speed, but am so excited about this regular shaft that I treated myself to the early bird dinner buffet at the local Luby's cafeteria to hand out with all the other guys using this model driver shaft!

Was pretty smitten with the shape of the MD3 forged wedges, and had fun hitting the Apex CF16 demo. Callaway's gear is really solid right now. I definitely see an Epic in the future.

The shape of the MD3 Forged are flat out sexy. It's the best shaped wedge I've ever seen. I just wish they would take that shape and then include more bounce and grind options. I don't really need that much heel relief on my 50 and 56 so they end up digging a hair but the shape inspires confidence.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

The shape of the MD3 Forged are flat out sexy. It's the best shaped wedge I've ever seen. I just wish they would take that shape and then include more bounce and grind options. I don't really need that much heel relief on my 50 and 56 so they end up digging a hair but the shape inspires confidence.

You are right about the grind. I was a bit surprised at how extreme the grind is on the lob wedge. Seems to leave a very thin sole with a ton of relief. I would imagine it would either work or wouldn't, depending on the individual's swing, with not a lot of broad appeal. The shape is amazing, though.

Nice Ping golf bag Matt, you traitor

I'm back to my Odyssey, i putted like horsecrap today with my SGC and i need an influx of confidence for tomorrow. I'm in 10th place in my interclub qualifying with our final round tomorrow. Weather's been bad and i haven't played great, but i'm clinging to that last spot

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Well, my faith in my own manhood is restored! I took the Epic SZ demo driverout today - the one with the Recoil regular flex. Once I got loose, it was essentially unhittable. Way too loose. Love the head, though! Anxious to try a different set up.

In other news, the ApexCF16 demo 7 iron was a BLAST to hit on the course but is just WAY too long for me to play full time. I was hitting it 185-190 all day and just wanted to keep hitting it further and further. Not the proper mindset!!

The MD3 forged grind is a bit too extreme for me.

I'll be bagging an Epic SZ shortly. Probably the 3 wood, too. Still searching for the irons and wedges.

Nice Ping golf bag Matt, you traitor

Hahah! I worked all 2016 for that bag!

0413756c9f314cbbe861d4d0cd1abe72.jpg

Taylormade TP5