2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been worried about mine ever since i heard about the faulty screw problem on the Subzero. Since we didn't get it through stores i was just wondering what to do if I have that issue (or other issues, such as this).

I figured i'd just call CS , was Nick your fitter?

Yeah, Nick was my fitter. I emailed him since my head had some hotmelt since it was played at a shorter length. I didn't call CS yet since they won't hotmelt a new head for me.

I have a very similar looking spot right above GBB its not quite as big of a spot as yours. Is yours under the clear coat? At first i thought it was a mark from a tee but it feels a touch raised, almost looks like the carbon is separating more than an actual crack.

That's exactly what it is. It's under the clear coat

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I have also had a small part of the carbon "come loose" so to speak. But very small and I can't imagine it affects play at all. Just a small little weave that feels a touch raised as Bram said. I figure it's kinda normal wear and tear

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've been worried about mine ever since i heard about the faulty screw problem on the Subzero. Since we didn't get it through stores i was just wondering what to do if I have that issue (or other issues, such as this).

Yeah, Nick was my fitter. I emailed him since my head had some hotmelt since it was played at a shorter length. I didn't call CS yet since they won't hotmelt a new head for me.

I have a very similar looking spot right above GBB its not quite as big of a spot as yours. Is yours under the clear coat? At first i thought it was a mark from a tee but it feels a touch raised, almost looks like the carbon is separating more than an actual crack.

Paul-did you ever get any response for your head issue?

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Paul-did you ever get any response for your head issue?

I did. I am getting it replaced. Luckily I was able to get Nick to hotmelt my replacement so it matches the one I have currently.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

That's awesome

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That's awesome

They're truly going above and beyond. I cracked my head right before my US Open Qualifier and I asked if there was anyway I could get it overnighted to me. Currently they don't have any 9* Epic SZ anywhere on location and they're trying to remedy that for me and get it to me before my tournament next week.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

It's time...

Over a thousand GolfWRX Members applied to be part of an inside look at Callaway Golf. We really appreciate the amazing interest from the GolfWRX Community, but ultimately only 8 members could be selected to be part of this amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here are the attendees (in alphabetical order):

They've kept the trip (mostly) quiet until now, but the time is here to post. All are excited for the experience.

We kick off officially 5PM Sunday night, Pacific Time with some night time at Ely Callaway Performance Center!

This is the first night event ever at ECPC, so it's going to be a blast.

More updates on Monday and Tuesday as we have a packed itinerary there as well.

They guys are chomping at the bit, so we're opening it up to posting and look forward to the community following along.

Enjoy!

- Hip

To all those who ended up with the Sub Zero. What was your preference for the weight distribution? Weight Front or Weight Back?

I'm going back and forth between the two. I like to low spin of the weight forward, and really like to performance in the windy conditions we have had here lately in the midwest, but I have a lot more control of shot shape with the WB. Was it significant for your fitting, or was the performance with a couple hundred extra RPM minimal?

Thanks

That's awesome

They're truly going above and beyond. I cracked my head right before my US Open Qualifier and I asked if there was anyway I could get it overnighted to me. Currently they don't have any 9* Epic SZ anywhere on location and they're trying to remedy that for me and get it to me before my tournament next week.

Like I said before that's awesome! That's Great to hear! Every company needs great customer service and it sounds like Callaway does!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's time...

Over a thousand GolfWRX Members applied to be part of an inside look at Callaway Golf. We really appreciate the amazing interest from the GolfWRX Community, but ultimately only 8 members could be selected to be part of this amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here are the attendees (in alphabetical order):

They've kept the trip (mostly) quiet until now, but the time is here to post. All are excited for the experience.

We kick off officially 5PM Sunday night, Pacific Time with some night time at Ely Callaway Performance Center!

This is the first night event ever at ECPC, so it's going to be a blast.

More updates on Monday and Tuesday as we have a packed itinerary there as well.

They guys are chomping at the bit, so we're opening it up to posting and look forward to the community following along.

Enjoy!

- Hip

To all those who ended up with the Sub Zero. What was your preference for the weight distribution? Weight Front or Weight Back?

I'm going back and forth between the two. I like to low spin of the weight forward, and really like to performance in the windy conditions we have had here lately in the midwest, but I have a lot more control of shot shape with the WB. Was it significant for your fitting, or was the performance with a couple hundred extra RPM minimal?

Thanks

I keep the weight back. I tried it forward, but I lost control and the ball seemed to fall out of the sky. I have the 9* head, adjusted to 10, with lower spin shaft. I am hitting it well. Still a flat trajectory and easier to control

My driver should show up today. I had a great practice round the other day getting ready for the open qualifier on Monday. Hopefully it translates to the event and I don't shoot +55!

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

• 4 weeks later...

So it's basically 6+ months since the trip took place and you were all fit to Cally's best equipment. Is everyone still playing all the Cally equipment and if not, what's been changed out and why?

Yes please tell!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

We are into our tournament season now. Just this past weekend was our club match play and interclub qualifier and in a couple of weeks there's a qualifier for a local 2-man best ball that's a big deal. So playtime is over so to speak, and gotta go with what works....

So that being said the only club i've changed , as i've kinda referenced in the past i might, is my putter. I just never really got along with the Versa Works 1W, it was just too light and i had gotten used to center shafted clubs, even though they said that type of putter didn't fit my stroke. My custom SGC is a 400G center shafted putter, and i've just been much better on the course with it, especially on 5-10 footers. It suits my eye a lot better without a bend in the shaft

The rest of my bag is exactly what i was fit for, and it's all still very firmly set. I still am a little uncomfortable with the "launch" i get on short chips with the MD forged (very very low), compared with my MPR-12 lob wedge i came from. But it hasn't affected me too much, i just play low spinners instead of softer chips. It still feels like a hammer to me, but it's good out of bunkers and spins the bejesus out of the ball. In a vacuum i might prefer the MPr-12 but whatever, it's working out

The woods are ridiculous. I demo'd the Epic and Epic SZ 3 wood recently at the Callaway demo day they did at my club, and to be honest i still prefer the XR pro i was fit for. It's a much nicer sound then the Epic fairways which were a bit tinny (very unlike the driver actually) and i hit it just as far. The Epic SZ driver i hit off the driving range at my club (some of this is also because i've been working out all winter), recently before one of my rounds some guys i've known for years asked me to pee in a cup LOL, another time someone who works there asked me if i'd had enough practice because we were gonna lose those balls LOL. I would say i'm one of the longest guys in the club now (My SS is 110 now from 104 in december but i'm still at 2000-2200 rpm)

Irons are great, no complaints with my old JPX850's but the Apex Pro feel really nice and are forgiving. I still hate the chrome finish but i'm not going to switch when i'm playing the best golf i've ever played (13 of my last 15 rounds are 77 or lower)

So yeah, i'm really playing well with the Callaway stuff

.....well, just not the putter

.....Oh, and also i went back to Pro V1's for my qualifiers.....Sorry Callaway.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

We are into our tournament season now. Just this past weekend was our club match play and interclub qualifier and in a couple of weeks there's a qualifier for a local 2-man best ball that's a big deal. So playtime is over so to speak, and gotta go with what works....

So that being said the only club i've changed , as i've kinda referenced in the past i might, is my putter. I just never really got along with the Versa Works 1W, it was just too light and i had gotten used to center shafted clubs, even though they said that type of putter didn't fit my stroke. My custom SGC is a 400G center shafted putter, and i've just been much better on the course with it, especially on 5-10 footers. It suits my eye a lot better without a bend in the shaft

The rest of my bag is exactly what i was fit for, and it's all still very firmly set. I still am a little uncomfortable with the "launch" i get on short chips with the MD forged (very very low), compared with my MPR-12 lob wedge i came from. But it hasn't affected me too much, i just play low spinners instead of softer chips. It still feels like a hammer to me, but it's good out of bunkers and spins the bejesus out of the ball. In a vacuum i might prefer the MPr-12 but whatever, it's working out

The woods are ridiculous. I demo'd the Epic and Epic SZ 3 wood recently at the Callaway demo day they did at my club, and to be honest i still prefer the XR pro i was fit for. It's a much nicer sound then the Epic fairways which were a bit tinny (very unlike the driver actually) and i hit it just as far. The Epic SZ driver i hit off the driving range at my club (some of this is also because i've been working out all winter), recently before one of my rounds some guys i've known for years asked me to pee in a cup LOL, another time someone who works there asked me if i'd had enough practice because we were gonna lose those balls LOL. I would say i'm one of the longest guys in the club now (My SS is 110 now from 104 in december but i'm still at 2000-2200 rpm)

Irons are great, no complaints with my old JPX850's but the Apex Pro feel really nice and are forgiving. I still hate the Chrome but i'm not going to switch when i'm playing the best golf i've ever played (13 of my last 15 rounds are 77 or lower)

Truly impressed MJ. Over the paast 6 months as you went through dome season or simulator season in Montreal, there was a sense that in addition to the putter, which you've been straight up on, there might be 1-2 other changes because it just wasn't the perfect fit. Glad to hear you're playing well...and even better that the fit helped you get there.

Thank you!

The lob wedge was pretty much on thin ice for a while. I really had to get used to the lower flight and "spin and check" nature of it. It also feels very heavy compared to the MD3 i have and my MPr12. Which for touch shots can be not ideal. But i've gotten used to it

The 3 wood wasn't the best "simulator" club. I didn't hit it well of mats for whatever reason. But outdoors it's honestly a completely different thing. It went from kind of on the bubble to probably my favorite club in the bag. I absolutely love the feel/sound outdoors and the trajectory is amazing, i launch it high with very little spin. I just could not for the life of me hit it off a mat.

Those were the 2 clubs that were really on the bubble

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Irons are great, no complaints with my old JPX850's but the Apex Pro feel really nice and are forgiving. I still hate the chrome finish but i'm not going to switch when i'm playing the best golf i've ever played (13 of my last 15 rounds are 77 or lower)

.....Oh, and also i went back to Pro V1's for my qualifiers.....Sorry Callaway.

Thanks for the update! Does the XR have a deeper face vs the Epic 3 wood? I agree on the sound of the Epic fairway woods. I really like mine, but I prefer a deeper face 3 wood. Nice playing and good luck the rest of the year!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

The lob wedge was pretty much on thin ice for a while. I really had to get used to the lower flight and "spin and check" nature of it. It also feels very heavy compared to the MD3 i have and my MPr12. Which for touch shots can be not ideal. But i've gotten used to it

The 3 wood wasn't the best "simulator" club. I didn't hit it well of mats for whatever reason. But outdoors it's honestly a completely different thing. It went from kind of on the bubble to probably my favorite club in the bag. I absolutely love the feel/sound outdoors and the trajectory is amazing, i launch it high with very little spin. I just could not for the life of me hit it off a mat.

Do you have the XR Pro 16 or is it the earlier version XR. I had the XR Pro Driver (not 16) and absolutely loved the feel and sound.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

Yeah the XR pro is a deeper face. It's a weird little club, because it's not a big head but the face is actually fairly deep. I've held it up to my 3Deep and it's really not that far off that head even.

So it's a small head and a deep face, which explains why it's a bit terrifying to address the ball on a tight light such as an indoor mat.

It's not a forgiving club. But i probably haven't truly enjoyed hitting a 3 wood as much as this one since the legendary Adams BTY (which was also tiny but felt like butter)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Do you have the XR Pro 16 or is it the earlier version XR. I had the XR Pro Driver (not 16) and absolutely loved the feel and sound.

The XR pro 16 in 14 degrees loft.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

One other thing i'll say, and i realize i'm probably gonna be seen as bit of a homer but whatever. We've had all of the demo days at our club now , every OEM has been in. And all of them when i've pulled out the Epic SZ have asked me about it, and pretty much said "look we admit that's a quality club". None have said it's better or anything, but a few have said along the lines of they respect Callaway has a winner with the driver

All of the reps have really been great so i won't say where they are from, but two of them have flat out told me after a fitting "well, maybe i wouldn't change that".

I loved the 2017 M2 and our local TMAG guy is a really good guy, he made a few "not so Epic now" jokes when i was crushing the M2 , but he also pretty much said it was a viable competitor and they respected it.

The driver really seems to have made a lot of noise in the industry. Not just at GolfWRX type hardcore levels. When i pull it out at demo days after asking to demo vs my current gamer i seem to get a lot of "ooooh crap it's the Epic" type looks.

I feel really fortunate to have been part of the launch. I think it will go down in the driver pantheon.

Just to cancel out some of my homerism, i will say that the Ping demo day was great. I loved the I200 irons and the G Ls driver i would own in a heartbeat.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm playing everything still with a minor tweak here or there. I tried out some Vokeys again but I'm right back to my MD Forged. Im currently testing some recoils to try and save my back a little bit but I'm pretty sure I'm going to return to the Tour V's I was fit for.

The Toulon Austin that Patrick and Sean set up for me has been a real gem. I'm loving it.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003